Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Poenari

The Gorobble

sime-gorobbleSMALL.gif

THE GOROBBLE

A scent redolent of the crusty exterior of burnt marshmallows.

Fresh from the mailbox, and I'm already in heaven over this scent! The Gorobble is exactly as described: smoky toasted marshmallows! It's got a tinge of bonfire smoke- not a burnt kind of smoke or that burnt sugar smell, but truly captures the scent of a marshmallow being toasted over a campfire. The marshmallow is sweet and melty. This is the scent of my dreams, and I know that it's going to age beautifully. I'm already trying to decide whether I will be able to stop at two backups or might as well get three. I need lots and lots of Gorobble! :wub2:

I got my bottle of The Gorobble yesterday and I am SOO happy I took a chance at getting it. It is a real nice scent!! Smoky and marshmallowy without it being overly sweet or creamy!! There are so many other BPAL scents I want to try, so I don't want to get back ups of this one, so I hope this will be a return scent once gone.... OOOH YUMM!!

The Gorobble is a delicious scent.

In the bottle: I get sweet sweet toasted marshmallow, not really burnt.

On my skin: When first applied this is a very sweet marshmallow scent with a toasty or smoky vibe. As it starts to dry, a few minutes in, I started to notice some redness and stinging on my skin. I did not expect this! Then, I got this scent that reminds me of cinnamon. Huh. Now, it could either be that there is a touch in this blend to give it a firey feel, or my mind made the connection because I know cinnamon makes my skin break out in a red rash and sting the way this was doing. A few more minutes in and the cinnamon vibe faded away leaving a lovely lovely fluffy marshmallow behind. It's gorgeous. But the redness and stinging remained.

Guess The Gorobble is too tough for my sensitive skin. But, goodness, does it smell delicious! :lol:

Oddly, I'm not getting marshmallow at all. This smells more like cream cheese frosting on me, but so far this is behaving better with my skin chemistry than frosting scents normally do. I'm also getting a little spiciness in the background, almost like a spiced cake. I hope this doesn't turn to dust on my like so many foodie blends, because so far it is lovely.

in the bottle: sugary marshmallowy. Not burnt or caramelly, just vanilla marshmallow.

On me: has a weird perfumey note I didn't expect. Maybe that's supposed to be the burnt part? 4 hours later, I almost cant' smell this, it's just a little marshmallow if I sniff deeply. Nick says 'just vanilla.'

WOW....it is so fun to read how the same scent can be so different on everyone! I love The Gorobble and so glad I took a chance on getting it. I totally smell the burnt marshmallow and the scent lasts for hours on me!!! :joy:

This is dangerously delicious. It certainly is a nice crusty toasted marshmallow with that droolworthy burnt-sugar crust which actually leans more towards caramelized sugar with a swirl of autumnal woodsmoke rather than a creme brulee sugar crust. Simple, but amazing. I LOVE this and am going to need multiple bottles. :wub2:

The Gorobble - This goes on smelling sweet and sugary and smoky and very spicy. As it warms up on my skin, it does what most marshmallow scents do and gets a plastic undertone, but it doesn't ever overwhelm the scent. The spice (cinnamon?) gets spicier and spicier the longer it's on my skin and it becomes this amazing spicy scent with a bit of marshmallow sweetness and smoke beneath it. I'd have never guessed this would work on me, but it's a really wonderful spicy fall scent!

I don't know what to make of The Gorobble. Something went horribly wrong in the first few minutes of application. I did NOT like it but on my way to work, it settled down to something tolerable. I definitely got the burnt smoke right away that didn't work but now it's a faint spicy/incense with a touch of sweetness, which I take as marshmallow. I was wishing for more marshmallow but I hope it ages well.

~

Frikkin burnt marshmallows.. seriously?! YES! It's awesome.

Wet: acrid toasty smell, with sweet molten marshmallow.

drydown: not sure what's up with this but it turns into a sweet, super sugary, smoky, goopy greatness. Still a decent throw to it. Need. 10. bottles. now... this will be great for layering too. I can picture it under mircalla, haunted, or the black rider.

Oh, this one is good!

Wet, it's burnt marshmallow crusts, sweet and black and toasty.

On, and for the duration, it stays true to the smoky, creamy, sweetness of the wet stage. It's warm, dark, and delicious!!! Fantastic throw and lasts for hours.

Did I review this? Guess I didn't. I loved loved loved the Gorobble in the bottle and when it first hit my skin. It's toasty marshmallow-y goodness all around. But on me, it very quickly and summarily went very, very burned - and nothing else. Juuuust burnination. So sad. :(

I ordered a decant of this on a whim and expected to dislike it. For some reason, "marshmallow" is often scent code word for "vanilla" and I really am not a vanilla person unless it's combined with something I really love.

To my surprise, this isn't vanilla-y to my nose. It actually smells like scorched butterscotch. In a good way. Definitely butterscotch and not marshmallow on my skin, but that's okay with me. I loooove the burnt note, which fortunately does not overwhelm. It's also very longlasting on me, which I appreciate.

ETA: after reading other reviews and wearing this about seven more times, I've sniffed and sniffed at it and... I still don't get any cinnamon at all. Just scorched butterscotch.

Edited by coldandsleepy

i adore marshmallow fluff, but i don't like straight marshmallows unless they've been set on fire... outside blackened to a crumbling skin and the inside so molten hot it's almost painful to eat. there's a small window of cool-enough-to-eat where they're perfect, but after that they turn rubbery and too-chewy.

i had such high hopes for The Gorobble! burned, blackened marshmallow skin? oh yes, please!

in the bottle, it smells sortof like a perfumey marshmallow, which i know isn't very specific and isn't at all helpful. but on my skin it instantly turns to burned, burning sugar. not blackened marshmallow skin, but like you were making a pan of caramel on the stove and it burned. thud.gif

I loved TTP's review, because that's exactly what happened to me.

I actually made my SO make a bonfire for me so I could burn my first marshmallow. But this isn't burned marshmallow at all, it's burnt sugar. A lot browner and more syrupy than I thought it would be - kind of like Creme Brulee. No smoke to speak of, how sad!

I prefer Boo for my sugary needs, as this is too syrupy and thick for me.

Burned cinnamon sugar. :( Did not work for me at all - wish I had gotten more vanilla like some people. The cinnamon is way too strong for me - it fades a lot with wear, but I dislike anything cinnamon scented as perfume, so it's a no for me.

Edited by violetblue

Weirdly spicy. This is a soft, creamy marshmallow when freshly applied (and bless it, it doesn't instantly turn to burning rubber on me!) but then a strange and strong spiciness kicks in that I was not expecting at all based on the description. Later, it's a little charred/burnt (not really "smoky" to me, though) and the final drydown is almost nondetectable...sweet, creamy burnt air, basically. Interesting idea but does not really work on me.

spicy cinnaomon. I don't get any marshmallow from this. The longer its on, the spicier it gets. Whiff of smoke underneath, but not enough to save it. I am not a fan of cinnamon in perfume at all, this was not for me. :ack:

soo glad I didn't get a bottle unsniffed.

Preconceived notions: I almost bought a bottle of The Gorroble unsniffed because it sounded simply wonderful and the reviews were good. In the end, I decided to wait for a decant.

Wet: Oh no! This goes on with a rush of hot cinnamon. I'm allergic to cinnamon and I just don't like anything that reminds me of it.

Dry: I gave Gorroble a chance to mellow out, but I never really get marshmallows. It's totally a charred cinnamon sugar combo that would probably result with me in the hospital if it were real food and I ate it. It triggered a throat tightening reaction.

Later: This went from being an unsniffed bottle purchase (almost) to being the first BPAL that I've ever scrubbed off. I'm floored by the fact that I didn't like it! I've worn other blends with cinnamon in them before, and although they're not my favorites, I can endure them, but this was just too much. So sad!

Overall: There might be a really nice perfume in there, but I can't get past my allergy on this one. I have to give it a 1/5 for myself, but I am definitely not a fair judge of The Gorroble.

This starts off on me as the sweet marshmallow others have mentioned. And when I say sweet, I mean sweet. You know that Calvin & Hobbes strip where Hobbes tries Calvin's Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs and it's so sweet his face caves in (to which Calvin replies, "actually they're kinda bland until you scoop sugar on them")? That's what I thought of when this was still fully wet. It's an exaggeration, for sure, but it was still really, really sweet.

As drydown began, I got a caramelized sugar scent with a bit of spice underneath, and I got excited, 'cause that was what I'd been hoping Sugar Skull would smell like back when I tried it.

Unfortunately, as drydown continued, the sugary sweetness faded away, and I was left with... generic autumn candle scent. :( I may try it in my scent locket to see if I can recapture that middle stage.

In the decant -- vanilla sugary cakey confection

Wet -- cinnamon perfume over marshmallow.

Dry -- I can make out a touch of the marshmallow, but the rest of it is an incensy cinnamon smell that I recognize from other "fire" scents like Djinn and Fire Eater. I was hoping for more of that burnt caramelized char you get toasting marshmallows over a fire.

Sigh, I was really hoping this would be good on me.

Wow - this is straight cinnamon sugar. It's not cinnamon sugar you buy in the store, though - this cinnamon is so fiery that you would have had to make it yourself, grinding the cinnamon as you go and smelling the freshly ground cinnamon in the air. I am not a fan of cinnamon in perfumes, especially when the perfumes are so intensely foody. I just smell like I fell into a baking experiment, and I am not a fan of it. :(

I don't think that I'd ever smell this and think 'marshmallow.' I wish that the notes had listed cinnamon, because I probably could have passed on this scent. I get tons of sweet, heavy, strong, headache inducing cinnamon from this. It smells like cheap cinnamon potpourri with a hint of play-doh. Really disappointed with this one.

:cry2: