Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
invisible iris

The Night Hag Visiting The Lapland Witches

Black sandalwood, woodsmoke, Terebinth pine, blue cypress, styrax, frankincense, chamomile maroc, and nutmeg.

This is one of my favorites from the weenies this year!
from the imp:woodsmoke, pine and frankincense
wet on skin: This mellows down to something beautiful.
I get chamomile now and light woods. Light smoke and sandalwood.
Very autumnal, has an airy feel to it.

This is nothing but woodsmoke and pine sap on me. A bit sharp, a bit sour, really natural smelling. I like it, but I'm with patina in that it's a lot like Danse Macabre. I won't need both of them, and in that case I prefer to stick with the GC, just to make things easier. :)

Woodsmoke, pine and fraknincense. This a dark and stormy sort of blend. The kind you wear out in fall thunderstorms.

Powerful, dark, rich.

As Edens Sixth Day pointed out, I think there might be two batches of this. My decant was extremely piney, but I kind of liked it anyway so I bottled up. OMG, what I got in the bottle is even better!

The pine is strong, but it's not overpowering the other notes. I'd say it even fades over time. The sandalwood, cypress and frankincense mix extremely well together giving the blend that creamy/smokey-ness others have mentioned. I'm not getting much nutmeg, if any from either my decant or the bottle.

On the whole, I'd say this has a very masculine cologne feel to it. The throw is strong and the lasting power is excellent. Two thumbs way up!

I was going to pass on this, since I don't like chamomile and am not really into evergreen scents. Then I saw people mentioning the need for backup bottles, so I made this a last-minute addition to my order. Very glad I didn't miss out on this, because I think this is my favorite of 2011! Well, maybe tied with Atlas.

It starts with prominent nutmeg and woodsmoke, and dark forest notes in the background. This smells pretty close to what I wanted from Halloween: Los Angeles (on me, all light green notes and no staying power). The nutmeg/sandalwood combo also reminds me of Obsession for Men (though I don't find either perfume to be particularly masculine), but with a deeper, more mysterious feel. Even the dusty chamomile has a necessary role in this, and for once I don't have a problem with it.

The smoke and sharpness of the evergreens become more subtle on the drydown, making this ultimately a comforting fragrance, even though it still evokes the colors and setting of the painting. A perfect scent for rainy weather or cold nights!

Edited by nineveh

Wet: A brief blast of cookies, then nutmeg and evergreens.

Drydown: Lots of nutmeg and evergreens. A very dry sandalwood starts to peek out, and a note that's almost black pepper mixes with the nutmeg.

Dry: This comes together very suddenly. Between one sniff and the next, the nutmeg settled in, the frankincense came out (and I'd swear there was myrrh in here, too), and it unifies into a sweet spicy incense. Lovely!

On the skin: Hello, pine! The pine pops out immediately, but it is definitely smoothed a bit by the other notes. A resiny, smooth pine scent.

This is surprisingly good! It has a slightly cologne feel to it, but I feel the deeper notes keep this one from becoming too overpowering.

I think I might need to attack my SO with this one!

Dark, yet beautiful. Smoke rising out of a spooky forest on a cold night. As you approach, you realize you’ve stumbled upon a witches’ bonfire. The chilly air is heavy with not only the smoke from their fire, but thick, resinous incense smoke as well. Pine, smoke, frankincense and styrax are the dominant notes. Now I want to wear this all winter.

In the bottle: Pine, but tempered by the other notes.

Wet: Now the pine seems more fresh and green, but there's a hint of the smoke and the frank.

The dry-down: I had expected this to be be a stronger scent and to last longer, but it does seem to be becoming somewhat faint and fading fast. I'm glad I have a half-bottle, as it's a nice pine scent, but I may have to slather.

Wet: Masculine and woodsy. Both are usually good things on my skin so I'm excited.

Drydown: Sweet smoky woods. I can pick out the pine and woodsmoke, and then the nutmeg. This is realllllly nice.

Dry: It reminds me a lot of Port-au-Prince (which is all bay and sassafras on me) but it's smokier and more sophisticated. I could bathe in this stuff. :wub2:

I might have to track down a bottle of this. In the meantime I'll be saving and savoring my frimp/sniffie for special occasions.

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Pine scents are usually cool and green, but The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches is a warm, brown pine. The wood note here is smoky and gentle, like the last glowing embers of a campfire. The nutmeg adds extra, spicy warmth. Musk is not listed in the ingredients, but I get an impression of musky animal fur. This is a great winter comfort scent, the kind of scent you would wear for curling up indoors with hot chocolate while cold winds blow outside.

I get that the titular Fuseli painting is supposed to be menacing, but there is a certain ambiguity in the painting to me - we can't tell whether the witch means to sacrifice the child, or is invoking some arcane healing ritual. The scent seems to take the second line of interpretation to me; it evokes comfort, warmth and hope in difficult times. Gorgeous and my favourite of the Halloween collection.

I didn't get much pine from this, it morphed almost immediately into a smoky, sweet incense. "Yum!" I thought. And it became cloying, to the point that it almost made me gag :cry2: No fair, I really liked it at first.

After retrying, it's quite lovely. Woodsmoke and pine and pachouli and very much fall. It does, however, smell very similar to Tricksy bath oil and I have a whole bottle of that so it's nothing I feel the need to search out.

Edited by brilliantcat

In the imp: Pine, maybe a bit of smoke.

Wet: Pine, smoky resins, something a bit woodsy.

Dry: Sharp pine with sweet resins. It's a bit cologney for my taste, but nice.

In the imp, this smelled like cough syrup to me. My nose is weird. :)

Wet on the skin, it smelled like fir trees.

On dry down, it threw a sandalwood scent. I didn't get the darker resin scents that others describe.

Had this on my wishlist after my marathon of reading up on all the old blends I'd never tried, because I am always looking for the great deep green scents. Received an imp of this in a swap.

IN THE IMP: Deep, dark and green.

Dabbed in crook of arm.

WET: Deep, green and rich. Evergreens are predominant but I also am getting the cypress and the sandalwood. Veryyyyyyyyy yum.

DRYDOWN: This is lovely. May I quote some poet or other (kidding! studied this in 4th grade!) when I say these woods are lovely, dark and deep. There is nothing "haggy" about this at all.

OVERALL: Just clean and wonderful. I think this would make a fantastic bath oil and candle as well.

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.3