Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
invisible iris

The Night Hag Visiting The Lapland Witches

pickmanart-laplandSMALL.gif

THE NIGHT HAG VISITING THE LAPLAND WITCHES

The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches, Henry Fuseli.

Black sandalwood, woodsmoke, Terebinth pine, blue cypress, styrax, frankincense, chamomile maroc, and nutmeg.

In the bottle: Very woodsy, piney (but in a tar pitch way, not pine-sol at all) and really deep black woodsy. I can smell the charred black sandalwood.

Wet on skin: Immediately a resiny sweetness comes through from in the midst of all the deep, dark, smoky woods. The nutmeg isn’t overwhelming, but subtle, and so is the chamomile.

Dry: Woods, smoky pine and cypress, with the edge slightly curbed by resiny frankincense and styrax sweetness, with an overall darkly ceremonial vibe. Something almost makes me think there’s vetiver in here, but if there is, it's got a light touch. I like the overall scent and it’s not overbearing. But it’s the scent of being lost and horrified, in the middle of a chill autumn night, in an evergreen forest with a bonfire burning somewhere and dark magicks brewing. It’s a nature-y kind of scent, no cologne vibe at all, but realistic and wild and darkly intense. I smell like a scary forest. It lasts a long time and throws heavily.

Verdict: It’s very evocative, and wonderful for a cold spooky night. Almost veers into masculine territory, but remains a woodsy, un-gendered sort of scent. I’m pleased with my bottle purchase.

Dark smooth sandalwood, with light hints of incense and spice. Not overly smoky, and I smell no pine at all, which is good, as pine usually becomes pine cleaner on my skin. I was hoping it would be reminiscent of the original Hexennacht, but the sandalwood is too prominent for that. It is a lovely earthy scent though, very evocative of bonfires in a field, with cold woods surrounding them.

The evergreens are apparent during the wet phase and are quite lovely. During the drydown, the scent turns much sweeter and has a cologne-like vibe to it, which isn't sitting well with me.

Initially there was strong evergreen, but it dries down to a sweet, incense-y blend like Midnight Mass. Sandalwood & frankincense are the most prominent on me, it is not as smokey and unpleasant as you might imagine from the note listing.

The Night Hag Visiting The Lapland Witches - I had two bottles for my decant group, and they must have come from two different batches because one was strong on the evergreen/pine note and I didn't like it at all. But the other one is quite possibly my favorite of all of the Weenies!!! It's a really strong, gorgeous sandalwood that blends amazingly well with the cypress and frankincense. There's the faintest trace of pine in the background, but it's not overwhelming like the first bottle I sniffed. There's also a hint of nutmeg that gives it a bit of spice and texture. I am SO GLAD I decided to sniff the second bottle after I'd already decided the first wasn't going to do it for me! It is AMAZING. The scent lasts all day long on my skin, too -- one of the longer-lasting BPALs I've tried over the years. This one's a huge, huge, huge hit for me...maybe the perfect sandalwood I've been looking for all my life. :wub2:

In the vial: A dark, earthy, resin smell.

Freshly applied: Sweet, smokey wood.

Drying: Some of the pine and frankincense start coming more to the front giving it a sweeter edge, though it still has a nice smokey wood smell.

Later: Definitely a sweeter resin that thankfully doesn't encroach the "soap" territory due to the inclusion of the woods and wood smoke. I haven't really gotten much of the sandalwood/nutmeg very strongly though, and I'm not sure what chamomile maroc is supposed to smell like. 2.5 hours into wearing it, frankincense is the star, with everything else just a vague hint that's keeping it from being soap/pure frankincense. This seems to reach a faint/subdued stage more quickly on me than Black Apple of Saturn/other resin scents I've tried, which is unfortunate. I do really like this scent, but don't think I'll need to rush for a backup bottle since it doesn't have as much *oomph* for me as some other scents do.

ETA: This scent actually does last quite a long time (like most resin scents I've tried), albeit in the more subdued frankincense stage. Ultimately, I don't think this is for me, as it's a really nice mix on the outset but then almost becomes a softer almost single-note frankincense for me. It would probably be really good for people who like frankincense, though :)

Edited by maoric

Initially from my decant, I got a quick whiff of pine, which then turned into a smoky woodsiness. It's very earthy, resinous, and smoky and like nothing else in my collection. It does fade quickly enough that it will be wearable and not too masculine, but it would make a great scent on my husband if I could ever convince him to wear BPAL. Instead, I'm going to keep it for myself and wear it well. :lol:

The Night Hag starts off heavy on the pine and sharp woodsmoke, and I thought about just scrubbing it off immediately. But as it dries down (after about fifteen minutes), the incense notes start to strengthen and add a warm sweetness to the smoky pine. After about an hour, I'm left with mainly a smooth, creamy sandalwood and frankincense, but the fragrance is really light on me by then and it takes too long to get to this stage. The pine and woodsmoke are just too sharp for me initially.

I love this blend. As others have noted, the pine is heavy at the opening, but as it dries, the sweetness of the resins begins to come forward. This is also when the cypress starts to emerge. This actually stayed with me for hours. I applied just the tiniest bit before I went to bed and the conifer and resiny sweetness was still going strong when I awoke. I am going to get a backup of this, because I do not want to be kicking myself like I did when Stranger in Camp was gone.

I don't get much pine from this, just sharp charred wood and woodsmoke that sweetens a bit with time. I've worn this alone a couple of times but in the future I'll probably wear this under a sweeter scent, to soften and sweeten the acridity of the smokiness. Staying power is good and a little goes a long way.

This is fantastic! I did not expect much of anything from it. Really I anticipated it to be mediocre, the kind of thing that would do better in a candle than on my person. But it's just a very evocative perfume, reminding me of shadowy late autumn, early winter forests without being too literal about it. The evergreen notes are present but not overwhelming. I get more cypress than pine. The woodsmoke note is realistic and atmospheric, but it's balanced out by a lovely resinous sweetness, as well as a brush of spicy warmth from the nutmeg. A rich, wonderful, full bodied sandalwood rounds out the base and lasts forever on the skin, even after the other notes recede. Good throw. As a sandalwood fiend, I am definitely going to need a bottle of this. I suspect it would smell great on guys too.

Very nice. A warm, spicy scent. Goes on with a slightly cologney feel that weakens on drydown, but never gets completely lost. To me, it's definitely a masculine scent. While I enjoy wearing it, I know from experience that I tend to neglect wonderful scents that have a masculine vibe once I have bottles of them, so the decant will suffice for me.

It reminds me of some other lovely masculine scent, but I can't for the life of me put my finger on it. Or maybe it reminds me of something else... Mad Meg maybe? Devil's Night? Maybe it's the woodsmoke note from Devil's Night. Gah, I'm sorry, my memory is so bad... It might also remind me of Geek a little, or maybe The Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn?

Anyway, I can only repeat, it's a lovely warm and spicy scent backed up by a trace of the cypress and pine lending some dark green shadows to it. Not a fresh, blueish green, but a somewhat older brownish green. Outdoorsy but cozy.

This oil has definitely got a masculine quality. The drydown is very close to Mole. It starts out as woods and woodsmoke then morphs into cypress cologne I don't get a lot of pine. There is a hint of spices but it fades quickly. This has the same cuddly/soft feeling as Mole. Unisex.

My imp is a decant from schackjj, The Goddess of Decanters (to borrow a quote from another participant in our decant circle.)

In the imp: Oil is a clear greenish yellow. Nutmeg! Nutmeg and wood.

On me, wet: Pine, wood, smoke, Right at first, there's an almost camphoraceous note to it, that must come from the pine. But that quickly settles down as the oil dries.

On me, just dried: Now mostly wood and smoke, with some nutmeg.

After 15 minutes: Still pretty much the same, although the nutmeg is weaker.

After 30 minutes: The same. The nutmeg is subtle but seems to be holding its own for now. And I notice that I smell the nutmeg more from a few inches away than when sniffing right up close to my wrist.

After 1 hour: Mostly smoke and wood, but the sandalwood and frankincense are starting to come in more strongly.

After 1 1/2 hours: The incenses are starting to creep up on the wood and smoke.

After 4 1/2 hours: The spiciness of the frankincense and sandalwood are the main note now, with some lingering wood and smoke.

After 8 hours: I can still smell a little wood and smoke.

Verdict: A nice unisex-to-masculine blend. I never did notice any herbal note of chamomile. Once the nutmeg note is gone (which happens pretty quickly), this is a pleasant but generic BPAL wood/smoke scent. I'll wear it in a scent locket to retain the more distinctive nutmeg top note.

My rating: 4 stars

....curry? What on earth? I have to return to this later, because I swear right now all I smell is madras curry powder. I opened the imp and got a sweet and promising rush of fantastic terebinth, my heart's true love, and then as I was dabbing on a bit to test... curry. SOMETHING IS AMISS HERE.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy did I even bother trying a decant of this? I read the notes.. I saw the pine, I saw the cyrpress - did I really think that black sandalwood and woodsmooke would conquer? Was I really so deluded as to hope that the pine and cypress would behave on my skin? I'm a fool.. a FOOL :D

So yeah - hello pine, hello cypress, I hate you. Well.. to be more fair, you hate me. And the styrax isn't particularly helping.. it's taken the side of the trees, so I'm just not winning this one at all. I can smell the lovely black sandalwood, and there's a gorgeous smokiness here too, and even the nutmeg is here - very faint, nice and soft, but there. THe frank and chamomile are completely lost to me though - they're just buried under the greenery.

Note to self: next time, remember you will not win against pine. Save yourself the disappointment, back away from the pine.

I must have weird skin chemistry. This smells like Rumplestilzchen on my skin. :confused:

I mean I was kinda hoping it would be a scent like Rumplestilzchen (outdoors in the woods), I just didn't think it would be LIKE Rumplestilzchen.

I'll have to test them both side by side one of these days to see the differences.

Edited by rawgirl75

PINE. PINE PINE PINE PINE PINE. not fresh crisp mountain air laundry detergent kinda pine, but thick, dark, deep, resinous pine pitch. the darkest of ancient pine forests! this is intense!

there is smoke too, so there is a fire burning in this scary pine forest and i am wearing it all as a perfume. and then there are resins so some strange kinda magic is going on in this scary ancient forest. and it's beautiful, and then… it goes away. seriously. poof. it fades, and i am left with the barest hint of deliciousness.

there is no earthly reason why this scent shouldn't work on me. the notes are all spot-on. but… it goes away. where did it go?! i am so sad that this does not work for me!

In tester: resinous and woody, by far. Somewhat incensey, definitely masculine.

Wet on skin: resins and frankincense, whoa. A bit difficult for me to pinpoint which note is which (I don't have a lot of experience with wood notes), but definitely woody and resinous and incensey.

Dry: the chamomile comes up to add a touch of brightness, but still well in line with the woods and resins here: a rich blend of frankincense and woods and resins and a hint of chamomile. Masculine, color impression is a rich brown with a touch of smoke.

Verdict: interesting, but not for me.

Generic wood and resin scent. Nothing special. I have a feeling that this will be beautiful with age...but right now this is just not spectacular on me. :P

Dark, resiny, woody, but there is a creamy sweetness that keeps this blend in check. It kind of reminds me of one of the Banshee Beat prototypes. UOH34, I think.

I have mixed feelings about this. This is mostly light frankinscense, with a little dark pine pitch and a tiny curl of woodsmoke. I'm sure it'll get stronger as it gets older and possibly balance out a little more, but it's a bit too close to Danse Macabre (and in fact, I prefer toasted hazelnut to woodsmoke ashes). Night Hag may be a little bit stronger than Danse (due to chemistry, I have to keep slathering Danse Macabre.) I'm just going to have to hold onto this one for a while.

Evocative, woodsy, piney, resinous and smokey; made me immediately think of camping in a dark forest, sitting around a fire in the cold night air. I usually go more for light, clean, sweet scents, so this was a huge surprise--I liked this way more than I thought I would!

This one was weird at first like I couldn't even smell it, then it got all complex and interesting. I get some pine, but not overwhelmingly so which is nice. It's extremely pleasant. I feel like I'm out for a stroll in the woods in late autumn on a crisp day. Really loving it!

Holy crap this is gorgeous. Very very smokey, from start to finish, with woods and resins and lots of "stuff". Not too masculine, not too sweet.