Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TrevorSmith

Ameles Potamos

AMELES POTAMOS
Near the Cimmerii a cavern lies deep in the hollow of a mountainside, the home and sanctuary of lazy Hypnos, where Phoebus' beams can never reach at morn or noon or eve, but cloudy vapours rise in doubtful twilight . . . there silence dwells: only the lazy stream of Lethe 'neath the rock with whisper low o'er pebbly shallows trickling lulls to sleep. Before the cavern's mouth lush poppies grow and countless herbs, from whose bland essences a drowsy infusion dewy Nyx distils and sprinkles sleep across the darkening world.

The River of Unmindfulness: bittersweet black water swollen with forgotten tears.

I received this as a frimp in my last order(which is awfully convenient for a new scent)
right in the imp it smells like sweat and perfume 0.o
no but really
but for those of us brave enough to venture on, you'll see it imediatly change into a sweet, aquatic spray
but it's not JUST sweet and a aquatic, there's some salt, and more importantly some light toush resinous-incense goodness
that makes the blend, dare i say bittersweet (that's in the description y'all)
anywhoo it's rather lovely and i must say i enjoy
and it really does conjure up the image of some evil black river in the heart of hades, the water of which causes you to forget everything
sorta like men in black
not quite actually

A salty aquatic, doing that dryer-sheet thing that aquatics do on me. It's got really great throw for an aquatic, I'll give it that--but otherwise, not for me.

This smells like generic lotion to me. Like maybe Jergens or.. I dont know, one of the other brands you can find at Target.

:|

I actually love this blend! It reminds me of Sea of Glass, but without whatever makes Sea of Glass "sparkly"...sorry that's vague. Ameles Potamos is a VERY deep, dark aquatic...I love this, and am glad it's a CG so it will hopefully be around for a while. :)

I had tried this at will call last month, and just loved it...lovely and serene were the words that popped into my head. I had the same reaction today when I tried it again...it really is quite lovely. 8/10

A gorgeous aquatic. I don't find myself craving aquatic scents much, and sometimes they outright turn my stomach, but my sniffie was so pleasant I might hunt down an imp one of these days. I was prepared to write it off as generic, but it had a lovely dark depth to it in the skin test that was really intriguing and lovely.

In the vial: Salty and slightly dark/organic water.

On me: The word I want to use is brackish—a pure aquatic, impressively salty, with a dark, organic element. The description is indeed so spot on that there's not much else to say about the scent, except some congratulations may be in order. Over time the black water recedes and are purer, slightly more crystalline salt water comes to the fore. Throw is moderate, dying down to low; wear length is about four hours, but the scent fades dramatically at its tail end.

Verdict: Ameles Potamos is too unique a scent to be called straightforward, but it's exactly what it says on the tin: black waters touched with salt, pure but deep, utterly convincing. I don't know how I like it as a perfume, but I admire it as a concept. For a while now I've wanted a scent that reminds me of crying, and this is a beautiful interpretation of such—so I think I'll keep it around, and scratch that want off my list.

Most aquatics smell oddly dry, like laundry soap powder on my skin (Sea of Glass & Banded Sea Snake being my bpal exceptions), and this one does that same thing on me. I don't know that I could even tell most of the aquatics apart :( they just don't work with my skin chemistry. I get sharp soapiness and nothing else.

This one definitely reminds me to Sea of Glass, with the deep, watery note in it. Which sadly does turn slightly laundry detergent on me. Really nice smelling laundry detergent.

Clean, watery, cool.

In tester: a musky aquatic, salty, and a hint of night flowers; a kind of purple "feel".

Wet on skin: definitely a salty aquatic, and doesn't really change from the tester scent for me. There's a slight ominous, "purply" feeling, but it's not exactly dark or menacing, and I wouldn't classify this as a dark scent. It's just not "light" like most aquatics are, but yet not deeply sorrowful and heavy like some other aquatics.

Dry: does not really change from the wet phase, but does smooth out and blend together better, and becomes a tad softer. Some people have mentioned Sea of Glass, and I can see that, but it wasn't the first scent that came to mind when I smelled this--to me, it was like a less-sad and less-floral Annabel Lee...but with the flowers there transformed to a lot of salt.

Verdict: tempted to get a bottle, but I fluctuate between liking this and thinking it's a bit too somber for me. Maybe I'll retest and think again.

Oh this is so evocative!

I used to think I loved aquatics but I discovered that so few work on me, it's like I love the idea of aquatics but rarely the execution. Of the rest of the catalog, this is actually most similar to Windward Passage or R'lyeh to me. I get a VERY clear impression of salt. I enjoy Sea of Glass but I don't really get the comparison- to me that scent is sparkling sunlight Through clear waters, while this is deep salty depths.

On me this is more wearable than Windward Passage or R'lyeh. Both had undertones of something that too closely approached low tide. I actually really like that smell, but not as a perfume :) Ameles Potamos is pure deep dark ocean depths, with no menace beyond their positive immense heaviness, and the fact that you can't breathe down there. Very neat, evocative. I like it!

I got this as a frimp from a lovely forumite. What a beautiful, fresh scent! Definitely reminds me of gently blowing breezes on the ocean shore. I may have to buy a bottle of this one!

This is pretty much a generic dryer-sheety aquatic on me. There's not much to make it stand out except a very faint curry-ish spice. No, I don't know why, but there are a number of spices that are curry-tastic on my skin.

In the Imp (ITI): Aquatic perfume and salted celery. Yep, this is going to be… interesting. I hope this is a morpher.

Wet: The deep, black waters are reminiscent of dryer sheets a little, but the tears still smell like salty celery to me.

Dry: The dryer sheet smell has lessened, but I still get salty celery. This really isn’t something that I’d want to wear, especially during a warm summer.

Oh hey, it's doing the dryer sheet thing that all aquatics do on my skin! I am thoroughly unsurprised that this isn't working for me.

In bottle: It’s pretty much the lab’s sea scent, made a touch darker, though I’m not sure exactly how. Wet: I’ve been having trouble with the sea accord lately, but this is actually working surprisingly well on my skin. As is often the case, my nose tends to separate out the floral element of the accord, but this time it’s not breaking all the way down, at least so far. Dry: Softens into something darkly sexy.

This is a very complex aquatic.

There's obviously some sea-water in the mix. But there's also the scent of rain and of those puddles you get after a rainstorm that have leaves and twigs and such at the bottom of them and you can smell the leaves and bark. There's also some sweet, clear notes. Almost sweetly resinous. And something almost effervescent.

As time goes by, the clean, rainy, effervescent water becomes more and more pronounced. It's the same aquatic that is in Lightning. But in this case, blended with something darker. Much more rich and subtle.

Really love this. :wub2:

It starts out very aquatic and salty, with some seaweed thrown in for good measure. After a couple of hours, it's still mostly a water scent, but there's a bit of sweetness to it now... a soft floral that I can't (yet) place. It's gotten... melancholy. Also, faint. This one doesn't last very long on me, I'm afraid. But for a while there it goes through some interesting stages. Nice for days when I miss living by the ocean.

I got this as a frimp with my last order. In the imp it smells very aquatic with perhaps some light florals. Wet on my skin, a murky aquatic with . . . lily of the valley? Definitely a floral of some kind. As this dries the floral sweetens up the aquatic note quite nicely. I'm not really one for aquatics but I could almost see myself using this on occasion.

There's a sweet, clean aquatic note, but also, there's salty water that seems sour, somehow. I can't do aquatics, definitely can't do sour aquatic.

A deep, dark aquatic with a salty note. It smells like laundry detergent or soap in a good way, it smells clean. I think I would wear this when I wanted a simple, easy scent that just smells good without being overpowering.

Frimp in my December 2013 order.

Vial: Soapy! Would not be interested in based off of the sniff.

Skin: Smells familiar... but unpleasant. Not liking it. Not enough to wash it off. I read some reviews and the familiarity was nailed: dryer sheets! Familiarly smells like dryer sheets.

It is a somewhat complex aquatic, but not for me.

In the bottle - A grey salty water scent

Wet on me - Maybe its because I've recently tried the ambergris SN but that's what this smells like to me

Dry on me - To me this definitely smells like ambergris, but actually with a little more staying power than the SN

Overall - Not my cup of tea

In the imp: slightly soapy, very clean.

Wet, applied: Still clean & soapy, with a hint of floral.

Dry: And the floral goes straight to baby powder on me.

Wet: apple? and water. Definitely apple note on me

dry: ambergris, dark water, salt. dark musk. Love it.