Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Xanon

Blood Moon 2011

BLOOD MOON 2011
It was night, and the rain fell; and falling, it was rain, but, having fallen, it was blood.

A Lunacy inspired by the magnificently morbid fantasies of Edgar Allan Poe: laudanum-stained linen scented by an ink-smeared tobacco musk and phantom bloodstains illuminated by monstrous moonlight.

Wow, this is a surprise!

This smells oddly warm in the bottle. Medicinal scented linen, and warm.
Wet: whoa cologne! WTF happened to the linen note?
15 minutes in: Linen and tabacco musk are present. I get the impression that moon light is filtering the components of this. Laudanum is hanging back, creating a well rounded scent. Moderate throw - 3 to 4 inch wafting range.

I get the feeling of lurking evil veiled thinly in this scent. I thought it would be more metalic for some reason. I am surprised at how much I am enjoying this scent. :)

In bottle: Wow! This beautifully embodies it’s concept. It’s a complex scent poem about Poe. I love the Tobacco musk, which is just barely dominant over the laudanum/linen, the hints of ink, blood, and something soft that genuinely suggests moonlight all create exactly the picture the words suggest. Wet: slightly sweeter than in the bottle, and with the laudanum and tobacco dominant just barely over linen and musk. This is the best use of linen I’ve encountered so far in a scent, and the only instance in which I haven’t found it a touch cloying. I think the sweetness and the floral edge may be components from the moonlight amping. It’s elegant, delicious, and vaguely depraved. Glorious. Dry: Less flashy on the dry down. The linen note matures into a dry beauty, and the ink really shows at it’s best once the laudanum burns mostly down. The tobacco plays beautifully with what’s left of the sweetness and hint of florals of the moonlight. It suggests the study by moonlight after Poe himself has gone off to bet. Utterly lovely, but significantly less flashy than the wet version.

The moonlight must be a stark, moon-cologne note, similar to the cologney note of Night's Bridge. It initially starts off really sharp and cloying to me. Giving it some time, it settles more into a strong, smooth tobacco note. There's cloth and sweetness in the background. It's not a 'pleasant' smelling scent, but it is very disturbing.

Yeeeees. Creepy.

In the vial: A sweet, perfumey scent - that must be the linen, which seems to include a hint of florals. (And maybe the laudanum as well - I have no idea what laudanum smells like.) With cherry, not an artificially-flavored-cherry-candy, but the mild cherry-like note of dragon's blood,

On my wrist, wet: The cherry scent of dragon's blood dominates everything right at first, but the clean linen comes in at a close second. The cherry note evaporates within moments, leaving the clean linen scent to take over.

After 10 minutes: This is surprisingly fresh, clean, and perfume-like for something inspired by Poe. Not at all what I expected. But very nice. I'm trying not to think of dryer sheets . . .

After 30 minutes: It has gone from a woman's perfume smell to a men's cologne one. Must be due to the tobacco which is coming out to play. I'm not thinking dryer sheets anymore, I'm thinking men's cologne. One I like, not too astringent. It's almost like a fine pipe tobacco, but with the added sharpness of cologne.

After 1 3/4 hours: As the perfume/cologne sharpness gradually faded away (it's completely gone now), the scent has warmed and darkened, the tobacco musk is more evident, and I could see the image from the description more and more. It remained men's cologne-ish, but became Edgar Allan Poe's cologne. The overall fragrance is pretty faint now.

Interesting - when I put it on the inside of my elbow instead, I get little of the sharpness that made this smell like perfume/men's cologne when it was on my wrist. It is a much darker scent, more evocative of Poe's stories of horror. It must have something to do with the difference in skin temperature at the different places.

My rating: 4 stars

On first application I'm reminded of the almost medicinal herbal yet dark and musky opening of Schwarzer Mond.

After a little while the warm soft musk reminds me of Blood Moon '05.

A little longer and I'm thinking of the slightly boozy, linen, tobacco blend in Black Lace.

This is a somewhat cologne-like, dark, musky, and all together intense blend. I know I leave a trail of this scent behind me even with a small application, and it lasts for a really long time even though my skin usually makes scent disappear.

I totally love it.

I had really high hopes for this one, but I think they may have just been dashed.

I wasn't sure if the blood was dragon's blood resin or not, so I decided to give it a try based on awesome Will-Call reviews. Unfortunately, I think this is dragon's blood. Almost immediately on my skin, this smells dusty and almost sickly sweet. The dragon's blood seems to be holding back a bit, which is promising. If it disappears, or the other notes start to amp more, I may be able to tolerate this one.

After about 10 minutes, it's not getting any better. In fact, this is almost making me a little nauseated. I wish this had worked on me. I think it could have been totally amazing if only something else was used for blood instead of dragon's blood. It is my arch-nemesis. :(

I love Blood Moon 05, like 2010, and didn't care for 2008. Unfortunately, this is more like the 08 version than the spicy, incensey versions.

I didn't remember the list of notes in this, so I was confused when I first put it on and it smelled like strong baby powder, wet leaves, and cool aquatic. I don't get resins or tobacco at all.

It's really strong and long lasting, but I don't really like smelling like baby powder and cool water...

In vial: Dark, smoky linens.

Wet: There is a strong laudanum aura, sharp yet hazy. Musky tobacco, solid & deep.

Dry: This reminds me very much of Red Lace, they share similar notes though Blood Moon is not nearly as sweet. It has an almost coppery-clean edge, making this drydown ozone-like on me. Melancholy, indeed.

Verdict: If you found Red Lace to be too sweet, definitely give Blood Moon '11 a test. It is dark, intense, and worth a try!

Something in Blood Moon 2011 did NOT work on me. Tobacco scents are iffy on me and I think this is what killed it. Big fat disappointment. :evil:

This really does smell deep red in the vial, and the laudanum is pronounced. On me, lunar florals blossom and there's a hint of tobacco. There is something cologne-y about this too, but it's not too overpowering. It has quite good throw too. Not what I usually go for, but I actually really like this.

I love this. I can't pick a note that is overwhelming it's just a scent that I like. However, the linen note is taking over. And this is now a fail b/c I smell like fabulous clothing detergent. *sigh*

what on earth am i smelling here? what the hell does laudanum smell like? is that the medicinal note i'm picking up on?

there's crisp white linen with something sharp and medicinal. there is a dead sexy tobacco musk, can i get this as a single note please?!

it's really cool and unique until my skin destroys it and turns it into a cheap "fresh laundry" candle.

Edited by porcelina

In tester: creamy linen, smoky tobacco, light florals, and a touch of masculine cologne.

Wet on skin: a very evocative blend. Linen, smoky tobacco, sad florals, and laudanum. That masculine cologne is keeping this from a feminine blend despite the florals--quite gender neutral--and it blends well with the other notes. Very evocative of Poe, and yes, while this is suitably gender neutral, it does side a bit more on the masculine side for me. A dustiness also comes out for me as it tries that's distinctly different from the smokiness of the tobacco.

Dry: dry, it's ink and cologne (maybe it is one and the same, but my nose gets confused) and linen, not so much sad florals as those other "notes". Very spot on--in addition to all that, there's a hint of a dark menace underneath, or maybe more of a dark unknown or mystery that is not exactly menacing but somewhat...feared.

Verdict: I was very tempted to get a bottle because of the Poe connection, and I do think this is a fabulous scent for him. However, I really wouldn't be using it :/ So it's a pass.

I tested this a few times before now. Each time, I slapped it on, shrugged, said it smelled good, then left the house to do whateverthehell.

Wet: burst of clean masculine cologne that settles after about 30 seconds. Must be the musk and linen.. The warm smell of tobacco musk and sweet linen with a drop of opium-like laudanum is circling me. It's lovely in this phase! Opium does wonderfully on my skin, so no surprise. ;) Color impressions are cream, dark brown, translucent indigo, with shreds of maroon.

Drydown: I think this is the reason I forgot about it after I slapped it on.. it fades super fast. If I smell closely, it's this lovely creamy but dark linen and tobacco musk.. pretty musky actually.. so I'd say 2 primary notes are musk and linen.. which is awesome but can barely smell any throw. This would be an awesome atmospheric smell, so maybe I'll put a drop in my oil burner and hope it fares better than on me. I would also recommend this for sensitive noses that want all that musk, linen, opium smell without the burningsneezinggetitoffme-ness.

Wet, dark, voluptous spicy dragon's blood. Dryer, something more woody comes out, it's almost like vetiver. An odd combination, but I really like it, and it's very true to it's description. I like this, and will definitely keep the imp and may track down more in the future.

In the vial: Medicinal, a bit spicy, a bit sweet, a hint of smoke.

On me: Blood/dragon's blood in color and warmth, vetiver/tobacco in smokyness, and a touch of pepperish spice. It's surprisingly warm, especially in the throw, and has a certain lightness within—laudanum maybe, or linen, a bit sweet, pale; it opens up the scent. It reminds me of a remixed The Tell-Tale Heart, and not just because of the Poe connection, but the pale note hiding within makes it unique. Unfortunately at the one hour mark it's already faded to a ghost of that pale scent touched with a hint of spice and smoke. Scent-color is ... well better just to say that this evokes the moonlit red and black landscape of the description. Throw is moderate dying down to low, and wear length is short.

Verdict: Beautifully realized, perfectly to my taste, and also heartbreaking—it hurts to see something so wonderful fade so quickly. Luckily I get enough similarity to The Tell-Tale Heart that I can just turn to that blend instead, but if Blood Moon had more staying power then I would probably want a bottle of it, too.

Edited by Juushika

In the imp - Slightly sweet linen.

Wet - Sweetness amps momentarily, and then the tobacco musk comes through as the linen evens out a bit.

Dry - Heady incense, tobacco, and ink. I feel rather mysterious with it on.

Okay, I don't think I would have ordered this if it was on its own (as opposed to tossing it into the Weenie cart). I like Poe okay, but not enough to grab something just because it has his name on it (heck, I haven't tried any Last Unicorn scents after the first round). And really, I couldn't tell you what this blend would smell like. "Linen" tends to be a no-no for me in the real world of candles and dryer sheets, but the Lab's is okay. Tobacco musk...okay, I'll give it a try. But yeah, no idea what it's gonna smell like.

.....it smells like perfume. I'm still trying to figure out what notes say "perfume" to me, but this is a well blended commercial perfume, without the alcohol. It's sophisticated, and I can't pick out any individual notes. I don't know how much I'll wear it, but I'll definitely be keeping it.

This may be the scent I was looking forward to most from my weenies, so let's see!

In Imp: Oh.

Oh man.

This smells like Black Lace with an injection of blood. I am already basically 100% onboard.

Wet: Strangely astringent on the skin, with something that hints of vetiver. Go away, vetiver! The laudanum is, I think, what is causing the medicinal scent. The tobacco musk rides high with the linen, however, and keeps the laudanum a bit more in check. This feels more like a cologne than a perfume, but is delightfully androgynous.

Dry: Staying medicinal, clean linen and musk, with a wisp of tobacco smoke and the sting of spilled laudanum. The blood is barely in Blood Moon, though it seems to be coming in a little more on the drydown. I wish this scent was a little warmer and a little less medicinal, but it's still awesome. I think as this one ages and mellows it will only get better.

Edited by Whisperstilled

INK. This to me smells like deep, dark, viscous ink.

On the skin it opens up and has a "perfumey" background of aquatic florals (Dragon blood I guess, from the reviews, although I'm not super familiar with it since I tend to avoid it after have some bad scent experiences with a few dragon's blood containing blends). It shares that "linen" note with the ____ Lace blends and has just a slight touch of saltiness (blood).

It's a weird one to be sure, but I was so excited when I smelled it I called my boyfriend to tell him I had a BPAL that smelled like ink on linen. So so so cool :D

I'm not quite sure what to make of this one...it started out as a fabulous musk and linen combo with a subtle, warm sweetness. No overblown blood note that usually happens for me but after the dry-down I'm left a few hours later with just a comforting, warm and sweet linen scent. It's nice and extremely subtle but I'm not sure if it's a keeper yet.

Definitely worth a try though!

Sniffed: Light resin and musk, tobacco, and the winey, slightly sour note that is BPAL's blood accord.

On skin: Unfortunately, Blood Moon contains tobacco and blood at their worst. The tobacco is old and gritty, instead of warm and fresh the way I like it. If "laudanum" is poppy, it is contributing an ashy smell to the already stale tobacco. And the blood accord practically smells like sour, stale wine, which becomes more dominant and oppressive, and eventually mixes and ruins the already unpleasant tobacco. Blood Moon reeks of decay and entropy, and really is "monstrous" in every way. Colour impression is the rust-red of old, dried blood.

Verdict: A resounding No. Blood Moon isn't pleasant to wear at all.

On the skin: Kind of clean smelling with a smear of sweet tobacco. Definitely makes me think of the tobacco from A Bachelor's Dog.

After a bit, the tobacco goes a bit crazy and completely takes over. I can still smell that cleanness underneath, but that sweet tobacco is just overwhelming.

Not for me at all.

Linen and what I think is the ink-stained tobacco note are most prevalent when wet. I quite like this stage and am eagerly looking forward to seeing how it morphs on me! It's fairly sharp at first but mellows. Oddly cologne-y with tobacco under it. Cologne and tobacco. Not really digging it :sad: