Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
London

The Green Apple Of Venus

Sweet green apple, apple blossom, sweet strawberry, pink pomegranate, violet leaf, tea rose, and red sandalwood.

When I first put this on, all I can smell is sweetness. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. SWEET. Oh, and strawberry. Less apple than I thought, too. I was a little disappointed, because I do love apple. The brightest fruity fragrance I've ever worn.

After five minutes, I can finally smell some of that white tea! Still super duper sweet, though. The fruit and tea combination reminds me of Teavana Youthberry. Seems slightly floral on me as well.

As it dries down, I can finally smell the pomegranate & more of the floral. Oh my god, that sweetness does not go away, though. It's so cloying and all up in my business that it's giving me a slight headache.

The floral comes out more after an hour, but still. Sweet. Argh. Not even apple sweet with a hint of tartness, but just...sweet.

Annnnnd at the end, it changes completely and smells like sweet...sandalwood? What?!

Thank goodness this doesn't last long on me. Maybe two to three hours. I just wish it wasn't so damned sweet! It smells so happy and pretty, and I would wear it all summer (and maybe a few times during the winter, to brighten my spirits) if it wasn't so cloyingly sweet.

I have a pretty high tolerance for sweet scents, but this one is REALLY sweet.

This is like apple flavored bubble gum, with a sort of weak apple flavor -- the strawberry and pom are definitely the notes that jump out at me here. The rose is flat out nonexistent. My skin is notorious for rose = soap, and it's not doing that here, which is good. Definitely a bright sweet scent, but I think it's a little too much chewy gumminess. I prefer my candy scents a little hard and sparkly and tart (Treat #1, Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel) and this is definitely a sweet soft one.

This one went through an interesting sequence of note reveals on my skin.. here's how it went down, over thirty minutes.

1. Sweet juicy sugary green apple.

2. Sweet strawberry.

3. Sweet apple + strawberry together.

4. Pomegranate bubblegum with apple.

5. Some sort of pink sweet apple-ish thing.

6. Dusty sandalwood over the pink sweet apple-ish thing.

7. Stale, dusty apples.

The end.

In the imp: Green apple bubblegum - appley, fruity sweetness. Cute!

Wet: Oddly enough, once I put this on my arm it smells like a Lemon Drop. :lol: Not quite what I was expecting.

Dry: Same as wet, but I'm also getting the apple blossom and some greenery (the violet leaf, I guess?) in there too. As others have mentioned, GAoV doesn't stick around for long, but that's alright with me as this one just didn't work out for me.

Out of all the Celestial Apples, I think I like this one the best. The initial blast of sweet green apple was sort of off putting, but it has given way to a lovely blend of apple blossom and violet leaf with just a hint of the tea rose and the sandalwood. What a lovely, sweet floral scent! :wub2:

In Imp: This has a really interesting blend of notes and it's hard to tell what it's going to smell like! Upon first whiff I get much more red berry/fruit and apple blossom than anything else (I kind of expected red sandalwood to kill this one immediately!) Only with a deep huff can I discern some green apple (it's not as bright green as in Verdandi, though) and violet *leaf* (more green than... well, violet. Violet. *coughahem* /willywonka).

Wet: I get bright and crisp green apple with the roundness of real strawberry (this isn't a strawberry-candy) and the sharpness of pomegranate as it hits the skin. The florals in this make it into a very proper perfume with a little bit of apple playfulness, but I have to say this one is going a little soapy on me as well (a problem I've had with a few 'Weenies...)

Drydown: Hmm. Honestly I'm only getting tea rose and red sandalwood (though it's a very very soft hint of red sandalwood; not overpowering or sharp as it is in more predominately "red" blends) with maybe a strawberry-pomegranate blend (not as pure or discernable as it was earlier.) It's nice, but has very little throw and very little of the apple I was hoping for. It's a good, rounded, warm scent that leans towards neither foody nor floral.

Verdict: Good, but not bottle worthy. Sorry, apples.... maybe a 2.5/5.

I anticipated this scent oh so much, and I was oh so disappointed by the reality of it on my skin. These two reviews together say it all:

I have a pretty high tolerance for sweet scents, but this one is REALLY sweet.

This is like apple flavored bubble gum, with a sort of weak apple flavor -- the strawberry and pom are definitely the notes that jump out at me here. The rose is flat out nonexistent. My skin is notorious for rose = soap, and it's not doing that here, which is good. Definitely a bright sweet scent, but I think it's a little too much chewy gumminess. I prefer my candy scents a little hard and sparkly and tart (Treat #1, Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel) and this is definitely a sweet soft one.

It smelled fine in the bottle, but on my skin it was just this kind of REALLY sweet bubble gummy fragrance. At the same time it seemed weak like she said as the green apple seems to disappear instantly. Rose which is usually such a huge drama queen on my skin is totally MIA. Overall: green apple teases for a millisecond, other notes vague at best, other than a kiddie sort of gummy scent, sticky sweet enough to bother me, but short lived so in the end it doesn't really matter.

This one went through an interesting sequence of note reveals on my skin.. here's how it went down, over thirty minutes.

1. Sweet juicy sugary green apple.

2. Sweet strawberry.

3. Sweet apple + strawberry together.

4. Pomegranate bubblegum with apple.

[/b]5. Some sort of pink sweet apple-ish thing.[/b]

6. Dusty sandalwood over the pink sweet apple-ish thing.

7. Stale, dusty apples.

The end.

Oh yes, that is really, really the best possible description for my experience, too. (bolding is mine). Spot on as an overall one line caption. I am not sure what strawberry in BPAL smells like, but now when I smell my arm and think about sunshine's review, I really do think it is strawberry - a sort of artificial candy flavored strawberry - that is making this whole thing so sweet, bubblegummy, kiddie-girlie for me. What is so weird is that 10 minutes after putting it on, all that is left is this faint, dusty or maybe powdery, vague scent that I can't smell much of even with my arm glued to my nose. How did I get there from the so yummy bottle scent and when it's freshly wet on my skin - which again sunshine described so perfectly -?

Edited by dappled

In the imp, this is pure green apple Jolly Rancher. Wet, I definitely get the tea rose, which is adding a powdery note. Combined with the fruity sweetness, I'm getting an impression of bubblegum. After about an hour, it's a nice fruity blend, mainly strawberry and pom. Hour and a half, it's almost gone. So, eh. Nice enough on dry down, but really, I've got enough fruit blends that I love from beginning to end. So, think this one shall be added to the swaps.

Nom! Very fruity, a litte bubbelgum (think it's the strawberry + apple blossom I get it from) and a lot of apple! So happy I didn't get any rose from this, it usually turns to an old lady-like smell on me :P And no violet whatsoever..! This is heaven! Just bought a bottle the last day :joy:

Out of the bottle this is ALL pomegranate and it greatly reminded me of Persephone... But once it hits my skin, it's a different story. It's fruity, sweet and candy like. This doesn't say there's anything like lemon in it but it reminds me of lemon drops coated in sugar. I do wish the pomegranate had stuck around because I love that note.

If you're looking for something pleasantly candy like that isn't going to give you a stomach ache, TGAoV is for you.

So good! Can feel the apple , something that smells like vanilla, light and green. The red sandalwood comes out to play later on, and with me this one does not play nice. I've never been a good friend of red sandalwood, it gives a incense-y whiff that often gives me headaches. I get some rose as well, unfortunetley. I tend to amp this and make all smell like cat pee. Thank god the apple is there to save me! Ordered a bottle of this just before they discontinued it :)

This is very fresh, crisp apple with pomegranate at first. Dry, much the same, though I'm getting a dusty quality that usually happens with pom on me. This is a bit sweet, but the apple seems to be of the green variety (duh!), which tempers the sweetness somewhat. I like this, but it may be too girly and 'young' for me. At this point, it seems like a little goes a long way. It kind of reminds me of shampoo, but I'm still enjoying this blend. It smells 'happy' to me.

I was given a tester of this by the lovely lady flash! Wet, it smells very much like Jolly Ranchers. That mellows out pretty well after dry down, where it morphs into such a pretty scent! The apple and strawberry balance each other out really well and the sandalwood gives it a nice depth that I don't think that it would otherwise have. I do catch the pomegranate and rose notes, which are not too strong and just enough to round out the overall smell.

Everytime I catch a whiff of it I just think, "Pretty, pretty, pretty!" in my head, which is good because today is a very hardworking mommy day filled with leaky diapers. thud.gifIf I can snag a bottle of this I think I will.

Out of all the Celestial Apples, I think I get the least straight-up apple from this one. The first impression I get is fruit, sweet, lush, and incredibly juicy. The apple note weaves in and out between the pomegranate and strawberry, creating a lively, summery blend.

On the skin: Mmmmmm! Apple, strawberry, and a sweet floral. This smells yummy! There is a bit of a sourness as well. Is that a granny smith apple? Maybe it's a floral note turning slightly sour? Not really sure. Oh! That must be the pomegranate!

After a bit, I can't really distinguish between the notes at all. It is just sweet with a slight hint of sour. Makes me think of those candies with the sour outside and the sweet inside!

I don't think this one is for me at all, but it was definitely an experience to smell!

The Green Apple of Venus smells like sparkly green apples and tart strawberries. On my skin, the violet comes out and makes the scent a little too sharp for my taste.

in the bottle: delicious and yummy. On the skin, sharp bits come out- the apple fades, leaving a weird buttery fruity smell. Weird. Ehhhh, 2 out of 5.

Edit: the buttery is actually my skin, so it mostly smells like pomegranate apples with me. Pretty nice, actually. 3 out of 5.

Edited by Vaudevillain

Bottle: Juicy apples.

Wet: Apple and something floral. Not sure which one it is, exactly.

Drying: Apples, still juicy, still strong. The florals behind it are buried by the sweet, sweet, sweet.

Dry: I can smell the violet and roses specifically which makes a really beautiful floral scent. The juicy apple is still there, but I think it is more apple blossom than apple. And this is making me want the apple blossom single note if it is this delicious.

Verdict: Using this bottle ALL summer. :wub2:

Imp: Sweet. Teeth-achingly, cloyingly sweet apple and strawberry and a bit of pomegranate juice. Tart, too. There's a few hints of something deeper underneath it-- sandalwood, probably, and rose.

Wet: A refreshing, crisp green apple, surrounded by a cloud of sweet floral-- violet and rose, mostly. There's a lovely pomegranate that seems to behave well on me, and some strawberry as well, and if I put my nose right up to my wrist I get this amazing red sandalwood-- but the throw is all tart, girlish fruit.

Dry: This rounds out to a nice, fruity-sandalwood scent that reminds me a lot of a more feminine, sweeter version of the Dodo. I really expected to dislike this one based on the notes but it's actually sort of nice. I'll hang on to it for now.

Wet: candied fruit. I can't pick out individual notes but it's quite pretty and very girly. It's soft and candylike with just a hint of floral. Apparently my skin chemistry can do tea rose. I am pleased! I think I may find a partial of this for my daughter, it seems perfect for her.

Super sweet fruity bubblegum. The strawberry is in there, but it’s surprisingly not doing the normal pre-teen strawberry lipgloss thing. This has potential!

Uh, oh. Rose doing its typical amp-y job on my skin. I do not care for you, rose. Shoo.

Apple does its best to hold on with its sticky-sweet goodness, but it starts fading shortly after. This becomes slightly appley rose (and very light) after an hour.

This definitely isn’t bad, but I’m not particularly enthused, so this will be a swap.