Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
London

The Green Apple Of Venus

THE GREEN APPLE OF VENUS
Sweet green apple, apple blossom, sweet strawberry, pink pomegranate, violet leaf, tea rose, and red sandalwood.

This scent went very Persephone on me. I could smell the green apple in the background giving it a sharp edge, but it also had the red juciy rose pomegranate feel of the other oil.

Pretty over all. It also had some throw. Didn’t stay close to the skin at all.

This one is very bright and fruity on my skin. Lots of green apple, pomegranate, strawberry, and sandalwood on my skin. I get a faint trace of rose, but it's just barely there. Definitely one of my favorite Weenie blends for this year.

Very bright and fruity, as angelicruin above said. To me this smells REALLY similar to Lush's Sandstone soap when first applied/wet, then the pomegranate gets sassy and brings along her entourage of strawberry and tea rose. As you can imagine, it's quite a sweet scent; it's tempered/grounded slightly by the red sandalwood, but that's only just enough to prevent this from going off the deep end of "generic fruity floral" (perhaps because I tend to amp roses). What I register as similar to the Sandstone soap might just be the crispness of the green apple. Different apple than that of Snow Glass Apples, however.

That said, the notes all blend quite well together. I'd say this is a winner for those who like playful, candy-like/sweeter scents.

Edited by MissMercurial

On first application, this is a very juicy green apple, which I loved. And then as quickly as it came, it went and I got mostly pomegranate with some strawberry and a hint of tea rose in the background. I had a similar experience as London in that this also went very Persephone on me. It's very pretty, but I kinda wish the apple would have stuck around a bit more. Not sure if I would invest in a bottle, but I'll definitely be keeping my decant. :)

The Green Apple of Venus - This goes on extremely candy-sweet on my skin. Between the sweetness of the apple, the strawberry, and the pomegranate, it's just super sugary-sweet, like a Jolly Rancher kind of sweet. Apple blossom is a known enemy of my skin chemistry, and sadly, in this scent, it does what it so often does, and it goes soapy. Likewise, something else (could easily be the violet, tea rose, or red sandalwood) turns powdery, almost an iris-like powdery scent. So it's kind of a super sugar sweet apple, soap, and powder scent on me, which just doesn't work for me. After drydown it stays very close to the skin, but I can still smell it on my skin a good 12 hours later, which is absolutely amazing for my dry skin that usually sucks BPAL up. Unfortunately, 12 hours later, it still mostly smells of sweet apple, soap, and powder. :(

At first this is apple freshly sliced apple crispness, then I start to get what I can say only reminds me of LUSH’s Avobath. But the dry down becomes this most amazing scent where you beging to a little sweetness from the strawberry and pomengranate mixing with the crispy apple. Then further it starts to bring out the earthiness of the sandalwood and rose, yet never loses the apple scent.

It’s not overpowered by apple, eveything just blends together so effortlessly. Notes come and recede, then rise again. It’s like the most amazing perfume sypmhony! I’m absolutely so happy that I bought this one!

Okay, I know that I'm horrible at picking out individual notes, but uh, I don't smell any of the listed notes. I did a side-by-side comparison and this seriously smells almost exactly like Pomegranate II on my skin---pretty much all pink grapefruit with a touch of candied pomegranate. Unlike Pom II, though, Venus seems to have a bubblegum note for the first couple of minutes.

Pom II is one of my top ten, so Venus certainly isn't bad, but I will likely end up swapping this away for something different.

ETA: Ugh, but unlike Pom II, Venus dries down to wax. :(

Edited by kirsten

Wet this smells so similar to NGAGL5 to me. I almost regretted swapping for this one after I read the reviews- but I am beyond happy with it!!

The Green Apple of Venus

In the Bottle:

green apple & carnation

On my Skin, Wet:

A blast of green apple & pink carnation - I think I detect the pomegranate too - it's very subtle.

On my Skin, Dry:

The carnation becomes more noticeable, and the green apple almost completely disappears.

I don't notice anything else about this blend now.

Verdict:

it's very pretty in the wet phase, but it's not all that great dried down.

this is going for a test run in a scent locket to see if the wet phase lasts.

ETA: silly nose, carnation isn't even listed in this blend!

Edited by Akurarei

Thoughts before testing: I'm really hoping this works, because so far I'm 0 for 2 after having tried Glittering Apple and Golden Apple.

Wet: Very strong, very sweet strawberry with only the faintest hint of apple. It's so sweet that it's making me a little nauseous.

Dry down: The strawberry morphs into (and I swear I'm not making this up) Pez candies. What?!

Dry: Pure essence of Pez. :cry2:

Final thoughts: I must have the weirdest skin chemistry ever.

Verdict: Off to the swaps!

Very bright green apple and fruit on wet. It dries to a fruity, sugary floral. I get hints of strawberry, violet and rose with a base of pomegranate. The lovely, juicy green apple note does not stick around.

RATS.

This is a fun scent, though it's a bit too tart and sweet for me, personally. It's like someone threw a handful of fruity sweet tarts candies into a glass of Sprite and then tossed a few flower stems into the mix. I actually find it to be rather lemony-fizzy, with the pomegranate doing its usual thing and turning to sweet tarts candy smell. After about a half hour, it smells just like lemonheads candy on me. Fades away entirely after about an hour and a half.

My imp is a decant from schackjj, The Goddess of Decanters (to borrow a quote from another participant in our decant circle!)

In the imp: Oil is clear and pale straw-yellow in color. The fragrance is very fruity, with the strawberry and pomegranate equal in strength to the apple. There's also a notable floral presence, mostly the apple blossom.

On me, wet: I smell the red fruits mostly, against a backdrop of apple. I don't really notice any florals at this point. It reminds me of red Kool-Aid.

On me, just dried: The flowers do come out a bit more as it dries, but I'm still thinking of Kool-Aid. Or red Lifesavers candies with a bit of apple blossom.

After 10 minutes: The florals and apples have pretty much gone into hiding, and now it's mostly red Lifesavers. But there is a hint of something I can't identify in the background - maybe the violet leaf?

After 30 minutes: Same as above.

After 1 hour: Pretty much the same, but fading. And with just a hint of the sandalwood starting to show up.

After 1 1/2 hours: Now kinda like stale red Lifesavers.

After 2 1/2 hours: Old Lifesavers and sandalwood. It's gone a bit plastic-y.

Verdict: This one is a little too fruit-candyish for me. And unfortunately, I never did notice the rose, which is one of my favorite scents. I prefer The Glittering Apple of the Stars. But The Green Apple is nice enough, and I will keep and enjoy my imp.

My rating: 3 stars

Sniff: Tart and sharp, sticky sweet and sugary

Wet: This is like fruit juice on me. Not freshly squeezed fruit juice, but the super sweet thick syrupy kind that you would buy to mix from concentrate. The pom is quite strong and the florals are absent, which is surprising since I usually amp rose.

Dry: Interesting, this dries to a sweet musk which borders on powder. It's pretty but has too much of a "candy" vibe for me.

Just got a decant of this (and Silver Apple of the Moon) from Catseyes Happy Halloweenies circle--thanks chickie :wub2: Since I now have either decants or bottles of all the "Apples", I decided to test four of them today and now am covered in appley goodness LOL!!

In the Vial: Fresh, juicy, and yes sweet fruits dominating (I'm getting mostly the crisp green apple and pomegranate with a whiff of strawberry that goes right to the back of my throat) with sweet florals twining throughout. It is lush but not spicy and pretty enough to lure me into a skin test.

Wet on Skin: I actually love this phase the best!! On my skin it's smelling like ripe and juicy late summer/early fall fruits--still the crisp green apple and pomegranate with the strawberry sweetening things up considerably. I'm not getting the "Pez effect"--yet?--but the blend of fruits is sweet enough that I can see it being a possibility. Bolstering the sweet fruits is full-blown (and yeah, sweet) tea rose and the apple blossom, which is also coming off as sweet. I get a tiny bit of warmth that my nose is characterizing as caramelly and may be the red sandalwood mixing with the rose. So far, it's really nice and I'm contemplating a bottle...

Dry on Skin: Rose is usually my friend but I'm getting a bit worried on the drydown as it seems to be fighting with the fruits. After about an hour of wear...oh, no. Here's the Pez, followed by the plastic/scented play-doh edge. :eek: I'm left with a super sweet "Strawberry Shortcake & Friends Doll Collection" scent on my arm. It's not giving me a headache (or toothache, for that matter), TG, so I don't have to scrub it off, but it's doubtful I'll manage to purchase a bottle of it unless in the next week it manages to lose that edge somehow. Wah! :cry2:

This smells exactly like sour apple Jolly Ranchers on my skin mixed with strawberry jolly ranchers and nauseating rose. NOT A FAN! So sad as this is the only apple that has not worked for me. :rasp:

hrm kinda reminds me of lime sugar gummies or jellybeans. Actually makes me a bit hungry for sugar. Not a bad scent acutally, I kinda like it, but not something I need a bottle of.

the apple blends this year are so fascinating to me. they all smell so different- and i mean, sure, they all have different notes, but they are all ultimately apple blends so you'd expect them to smell somewhat similar. but even the apple notes themselves are completely different and it's been really fun to sniff and compare them all.

the green apple here is tart and juicy with a candy-like edge. it's sweet and fruity but the sandalwood and violet leaf take it from fruity body spray to sophisticated perfume. i do like it but it fades much too quickly on my skin. :(

This sounded like it would be pretty, but it was a total drag. Awkward apple strawberry bubblegum, artificially flavored and dusted with violet powder and sour, rotted flowers. On me it smelled like something I might expect to find kicking around in Rite Aid's clearance section, collecting dust. I can't speak to lasting power, because the nauseating fake fruit drove me to scrub this off with soap and water. For me this was the only dud in the apple series - even though I don't usually like apple scents, I thought the rest of the ones in this series ranged from fairly pleasant on through lovely.

Jolly Rancher fake-fruity, but with a dry, bitter quality. Drydown is sour fruit soap. Did not like this at all, but that's okay because my friend did, and I sold her the bottle; and I loved two others from the Apple Orchard.

Very fruity pink in the vial, as if the fruits were blushing. I can sooner smell the strawberry than the apple. Wet, it's a yummy concoction of fruity candy and tea rose. It's tart, too. This is one of the ones I was looking forward to the most this season, and I am definitely not disappointed. Not sure if I would actually buy a bottle though, since it's not one I could see reaching for too often despite its loveliness.

This reminds me of Lolita with a "greeny" quality. I do get a bit of tarte green apple, but this is bordering on synthetic lemon cleaner.I'm on the fence with this one.I will test again and see what happens but it does not look promising.

This started off as a really sweet blended fruit scent, like canned fruit cocktail, then the violet leaf and tea rose came out and it wound up smelling like gardenia at the end.