Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
killersandliars

The Golden Apple Of The Sun

Golden apple with amber, hibiscus, carnation, frankincense, golden spiced tea, ginger, and champaca flower.

My first reaction was oh wow because it's so bright and pretty and....it has zing (ginger?). I really like it! Darn it! too many weenies I'm liking!

Definitely golden apple, it's very crisp and juicy and fresh. I also get a strong whiff of ginger, the tiniest hint of clove from the carnation and a sugary sweetness which is probably the hibiscus.

I really like this one wet.

The apple note is juicy and more prominent than in the other apple blends, and the soft spiciness added by the carnation and ginger almost gives this an apple-pie vibe, only not sweet enough to be foody.

Unfortunately, as it dries, the pretty notes I liked fade and I'm left with a slightly sweet frankincense with vague spices. It almost turns a little soapy, which is sad. If it stayed how it was for the first minutes on my skin, this would definitely be bottle-worthy.

In Imp: Whew! REALLY bright, perhaps slightly powdery GOLD APPLE. The soft and sweet kind. Though I can tell that this is definitely blended, the only note I can pick out is that golden apple; the other notes seem to be blended, mixed and hidden in the background and no amount of huffing can bring out one over the others.

Wet: Ooh. I actually get a little ginger, but it's warm and not sharp or spicy (as someone previous mentioned). Maybe a little champaca or frankincense (I don't think I'm confident enough to tell them apart aside from a slight incense-y resinous note). It's pretty sweet and warm and yummy at this stage!

Drydown: There's a little bit of my beloved golden amber. This is a truly golden scent. The incense and florals amp just a bit as it continues to dry. I'll let this sit a while and come back to it.

Verdict: This faded really quickly on me and didn't really have a lot of throw or distinguishable scents after it dried. The golden apple was nice, but I think I prefer spiced apples or green apples to plain Yellow Delicious... <3 And while the ambers were good also, they weren't as effervescent as they sometimes are (when they're my favorite). I'll agree that this ended up, unfortunately, being a pretty light incense-y blend. I'll say it's 2.5/5. Not bad, but probably not something I'd reach for a lot and would therefore need a bottle. I'll keep it in the imp pile.

This is very pretty. Soft juicy apple (golden, for sure). Everything else is blended so well that I can't pick out individual notes. I was hoping for obvious carnation, but nothing stands out except the apple. As it dries, it fades away. So sad. Fresh, it's really juicy!

You know what this sort of reminds me of? Ushi. But while Ushi was in-your-face fruit and resins, this scent is a gentle shy distant cousin. But there's still a family resemblance.

I don't know how to describe this oil on my skin other than (apologies) yikes powder. :huh?: and :ack: I cannot pick out any of the listed notes. I try to smell the perfume without looking at the notes too, and couldn't make up my mind about any, so I gave up and looked at the list and said WHA? I'm GLAD this didn't work on me as I am broke and do not need to buy more. :lol:

Wet: Somewhat sharp, bitter smell. Carnation?

Dry: Wow! this is not the apple scent I'm used to. It's light, but not sugary. I can't tell it's apple, really - it's so well blended that nothing sticks out. Hmmm. I may be getting a lot of carnation/champaca, that may be why I'm thinking "flower? rose red?". :huh:

Very fresh, and original.

Edited by kelp

On the skin: Oh, this one is not right for me at all. To my nose it smells like an herbal apple. Kinda the cross between a tart apple and bug spray.

*sigh*

Think of a shop that sells bushels of ripe, sweet apples, gourmet teas, and colorful bunches of fresh flowers. That’s what this scent is. I can’t pick out any specific floral notes. The tea note takes a minute to assert istelf. No sign of ginger or amber, but that’s OK. It’s an apple-y autumn blend that’s not all apple. Lovely.

In the imp, this is bright spicy apple with a little bit of fizz.

Upon application....down, hibiscus/champaca flower!! Bad florals!!! Bad, down, back, down!!

Yeah, unless some spicy apple comes out soon, this ain't a keeper....

Weird. I get a blend of frankincense and ginger, with the apples being on the downlow, which is fine because I am not a huge apple fan. All the notes blend together for me on top of the ginger and frankincense. I get a sweet somewhat apple note on the drydown, it is fresh and rather nice, not horribly sweet. It does sort of have an herbal apple bug spray appeal about it, it is interesting enough for me to keep a sample of it around. I get no flowers whatsoever, but I'll wait and see if that changes. This would be a nice blend for someone into apples, but subtle ones...I guess that is only if they have dry pale skin like mine...maybe other people amp up the apple in this one, I don't.

A softly spicy, sun warmed apple. This doesn't have the intensity of some of the other Celestial Apples, giving it an innocent sort of femininity. I also get more florals in this one than the others in this collection, which adds to the soft, feminine quality, and the frankincense and ginger give it a mysterious sort of allure. This is the kind of perfume I'd want to wear on a first date.

I don't understand The Golden Apple of The Sun. I don't get any apple, I get a bit of soapy floral for a bit, and then I get a soft, incensy scent. It smells OK, but I'd like either a stronger apple note or a stronger hibiscus note.

At first, this is warm apple and spices. Pretty much a classic craft store pot-pourri at this point, which I don't even like smelling in my house, let alone on my skin. Dry, the frankincense comes out, the apple disipates somewhat, and it is more wearable. Still more suited to fall, though.

Bottle: Apple! And spices!

Wet: Apples and something warm. I can't really tell what note it is, but there's just a warm feeling coming from this.

Drying: Hello spices.. Apple is still there but under the spiciness of the carnation and ginger. I can't smell any of the hibiscus. Amber is giving it a sort of powdery feeling too.

Dry: Spice, spice, spice. Carnations and apples is what I wanted, but I smell mostly tea. Also seems to be something resin-y, probably the frankincense.

Verdict: It turns too resin-y on me to make this a summer scent. This is more of a late fall on me.

it's apple overload today, as i test my way through all of last year's weenies! i love how wildly different all the 2011 apple scents are, and how they each use apple in a special, unique way.

golden apple is good stuff! i described glittering apple as like being outside on a crisp autumn day- this is inside. it's warm, glowing, there are candles and i am sipping a cup of spiced tea with FRESH ginger. warm, spiced tea is the dominant scent here. i have a favorite tisane that has lots of dried fruit and spices and is so good hot in the fall, and with the apple, hibiscus, ginger and tea notes, this reminds me heavily of that delicious drink.

there is a chance it could stray into craft store-territory if you amp spice (i do, and i also used a spicy body wash today- lush's glogg- so there is a heavy spice component going on) but i really think the sense of freshness from the apple and ginger helps ward against that.

Hmm. A little on the sharp side (probably the ginger) and apple-y in the bottle, but on me it swings in the other direction and goes sort of flat, more like frankincense and tea. Fine but not for me.

I love this. A hibiscus-apple-amber blend is strongest on me at first, but the golden tea-ginger-champaca is like a second blended wall of fragrance right behind it in strength. I get a touch of frankincense, and pick out no carnation.

The spices and ginger and tea amp on me over time, but this does not morph much.

:laugh:

Decant: sweet Golden Delicious Apple
Wet on Me: fresh apple now, tart
Drying Down: spicy apple tea!
Dry: ginger carnation apple. very early fall like scent.

The main players in Golden Apple of the Sun are the golden apple, hibiscus, and champaca notes. It was strong on the apple and tart hibiscus at first, with the champaca and resins in the background, but over time, the champaca gained strength and eventually took over, as it is wont to do on my skin. 

I am glad I got a chance to try it, but this is not the apple for me, thanks to the strong champaca doing its best to drown the other notes out.

It reminds me of the smell of a craft store, like walking into a Joann Fabrics with my mom when I was a kid, and I mean this in the best way possible. The apple is the only note that's easy to pick out; the other notes meld together to give it a gently floral, spicy, resinous background. It's perfectly balanced between the cool crispness of the apple and the warmth of the other notes, so it doesn't go too warm-spicy on me. I really love it!