Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
killersandliars

The Golden Apple Of The Sun

THE GOLDEN APPLE OF THE SUN
Golden apple with amber, hibiscus, carnation, frankincense, golden spiced tea, ginger, and champaca flower.

As soon as I saw Golden Apple of the Sun, I absolutely had to have it. I bought a full bottle completely unsniffed and I do not regret it one tiny bit. Golden Apple is a little confounding, but in the most amazing way. It smells clean, crisp and warm all at the same time. In the bottle, the crispness is more apparent and the apple skin is stronger. On the skin, the florals and the amber come through more. The way this oil smells is perfectly in unison with the way that it smells. Overall, I give this scent an A for Apple-y Amazingness.

I'm an apple fiend, so I took the plunge and bought a whole bottle, despite already having signed up for a decant of it in someone's circle. I just wanted it that badly! Surprisingly, the apple is not that pronounced on my skin, but I do like the hint of it there. This is a softer, warmer scent than I expected (the apple and ginger had me thinking crisp), but it's very lovely and the amber is perfectly balanced with everything else. I amp amber like woah, so there aren't very many amber blends that I particularly enjoy.

This definitely has a clean, comforting sort of feel to it. It's pretty heavily floral at the moment, but I'm hoping that with some aging, the ginger and the tea and the apple will come out a little more. Aside from a light undertone of carnation, I think what I'm smelling mostly is champaca flower, which is very nice. I didn't know what to expect from that one, but I like it!

Edited by kirsten

Very apple-y, maybe really what a golden apple of the sun would smell like. I was expecting more amber though, and I think it would benefit from more amber. I don't smell ginger, or any note other than the apple, though it is not strictly apple. There is definitely more going on, but it all blends together. It's not particularly autumnal, to me, in spite of the fact that apples are in season in autumn. I like it. I just received it today, and I think I'll wear it a lot.

In the bottle this smells like a Red Delicious apple with spicy carnation and frankincense. The other notes are there adding to the complexity, but harder to pick out on their own.

Wet on my skin the apple intensifies. I can make out a little amber in the background. The notes blend into a somewhat sharp, spicy/fruity floral. I'm hoping this will mellow out after a while. I'll update this review if anything changes.

ETA: After a while this turns into a very clean, floral soap scent on my skin. I'm not really getting anything "golden". It's almost a little like the scent of clean laundry, which unfortunately is a smell I do not enjoy. I could swear there is white musk in here. :huh?:

Later this ended up turning into pure laundry detergent on my fussy skin. :(

Edited by whataboutprom

This is a spiced cousin to my ever-beloved Verdandi.

Sweet, ginger-y spiced apple, I do get the amber base here and the champaca really blooms on the drydown. This is a warm, almost autumnal apple for me, very pretty. I had hoped for a bit more spice from the carnation, but the level we have here is very nice.

The only pitfall for apple scents for me is that my skin eats them, so I'll be counting on wear-time for whether or not I'll purchase a full bottle of this one.

The Golden Apple of the Sun:

In the bottle: Golden Apple

Wet on skin: Golden Apple with champaka flower - very strong!

As it dries: the notes calm down and start to marry, the amber smoothes everything over a bit, and I can detect a bit of the tea/spicy carnation, like a slight tang.

I cannot detect any frankincense or hibiscus, but then maybe it's the proportions, or the fact that my skin amps the other notes.

It all ends up a gloriously rich and smooth golden apple scent, but without smelling of apple, which I know sounds a bit weird, but it's more like a conceptual apple than a real one- I definitly get the whole "Golden apple of the sun" vibe! I'm sure this will age nicely, giving the ginger a chance to surface a bit more.

The review seems somewhat clinical, but in essence, the concept is yet again, perfectly executed by the genius that is Beth.

I really like this, though it has surprised me, not smelling at all like I expected (but then, what did I expect??). It is definitely a floral fruity scent, but with a smooth and spicy background. It develops into something quite special if you leave it for a good 15 minutes. (I'm writing this live, so this report is coming through in real time ;) )

Edited by Soniadevi

The Golden Apple Of The Sun - I'm not typically a fan of wearing apple scents, so I'm rarely over the moon about an apple scent, and this one is no exception. It's very appley and there's a really nice level of spice and florals, but I don't really smell the amber or frankincense at all. To me, it smells like a warm cup of a spiced apple tea. It has very little throw on me and about 4 or 4.5 hours after applying, I couldn't find a trace of the scent on my skin.

This is a golden delicious apple, warmed in the sun, sweetened with a crispiness. It's just wonderful. The carnation adds a bit of spice to give it an extra kick. The amber warms it up. The flowers are background - there but not overpowering. The frankincense and the tea give it a bit of depth. It's a wonderful blend and I'm in love!

This was very light on me, mainly faint apples with a little floral in the background. After about fifteen minutes, it turned to laundry soap on me.... and then after an hour, it was gone. <sigh> I had such hopes!

I even tried twice, just to make sure. The same exact thing, the same exact timeline. I'm glad this is off to a more loving home!

Bizarrely, I get no apple at all in this. Maybe the faintest whiff upon opening the imp, but nothing on the skin. No apples at all.

It definitely evokes "golden" for me though and instantly reminded me of another "golden" BPAL scent that I couldn't quite place-- maybe "Gold Phoenix"? Not sure.

I get a lot of amber, some frankincense and spice, some other misc florals.

Golden apple, spices, amber, and freakin florals! Actually isn't too bad. Just very floral. I am going to keep this bottle and age it to see if the florals die down a bit b/c this could be gorgeous.

Ohhh noooooo! It's golden alright....golden showers! It smells like a toilet cake on my skin! :cry2: I was so excited about this as well. Meh. Sometimes strange things happen like this (and it's rare) where all of the notes look delicious and somehow end up creating an accord of MUST WASH OFF ASAP OMGIMUNNADIE!

I'm sorry, Lab! This one just isn't for me.

This smells very apple when it is wet. On my skin, it goes sort of soapy flat. I still get the edge of something sort of apple, but today, testing it against Autumn Cider, I lose the sense of apple and get more of a carnation tea. I had high hopes for the champaca and while it is there, the carnation is ruining it for me. :(

For the top notes, apple spice tea hits the nail on the head. Warm, autumnal, halfway between crisp tart apple and chewy dried apple, sprinkled with warming spice. The floral notes are light and add a lot of "pretty" factor and dimension. The drydown is surprisingly floral. There's a lot of champaca in it, and it takes on a sort of nag champa twist when paired with the frankincense and also the amber, which - wow - actually goes creamy on me instead of powdery this time. This scent really does have a "golden" feeling, and the spicy, creamy-resinous, floral drydown is a real hit for me. I really like this one and plan to look for more of it.

ETA: I tested this a second time to make sure, just a few days after my first test... and on my second try, it was really gross. Like, I had to wash it off. It smelled powdery and just... cheap and muddled. What gives?!

Edited by findaghost

Thoughts before testing: I was super excited to try this. Like bouncing up and down excited.

Wet: STRONG champaca. It drowns everything else out, and it turns out I'm not crazy about champaca.

Dry down: The champaca disappears and leaves behind a beautiful hibiscus and amber scent. This is lovely, even if it's weird that there's no apple.

Dry: Pure soap. Damnations!

Final thoughts: I really, really wanted this one to work.

Verdict: Off to the swaps!

The Golden Apple smells so much like rest area toilet cleanser to me. :sick: Soapy and odd to the extreme. It's like soap, a touch of fizz, a hint of light, golden spiciness, and something that's just off and gross smelling to me...

Light mellow apple that's the tiniest bit headshoppy. I really love this one even though it's faint and sticks close to the skin.

Be warned, though, when I first apply it, I get the smell of sweet tart candies and then it turns into unpleasant detergent for a few seconds.

Sniff: Woodsy resins. Not much apple, but there's a definite crispy note in the background

Wet: This is very much a resin blend, but softened by warm amber and herbs. I still don't get apple exactly, but combined with the ginger and spices, there's something tart which prevents the resin from becoming too harsh or dark. The champaca lends an earthy vibe. Overall, it's a soft spicey incense, muted and warm.

Dry: Earthy and powdery, with a slight herbal tint. It's pleasant but given the notes, I was hoping for something more. It's a tad too generic for me.

My imp is a decant from schackjj, The Goddess of Decanters (to borrow a quote from another participant in our decant circle.)

In the imp: Oil is clear and a richly saturated salmon color. It smells beautiful, too - apple with flowers and a touch of spice.

On me, wet: At first, the flowers are the note that stands out, but within seconds the apple comes out even stronger. The spiciness is more that of the incense rather than the ginger or the tea; and thus it (along with the florals) keeps the scent from being foody in spite of all the apple. The flowers are very beautiful, and different from the typical floral note.

After 10 minutes: Apples and flowers, in almost equal strength. There's an undertone of incense, and now I can get just a whiff of ginger as well.

After 30 minutes: The flowers are the main note, with some incense and ginger in the background. The apple is pretty much gone.

After 1 hour: Mostly spice and incense, with the floral notes now in the background. And there's just a faint breath of apple still floating above it all.

After 2 hours: The scent has nearly faded away. There's just a vague remnant of incense.

Verdict: Gorgeous - I must have a bottle! It edged out The Glittering Apple of the Stars for my favorite apple. But it isn't long-lasting, so use a perfume locket as well as applying to the skin. Or reapply often, but the locket would also retain the apple note longer as well as the overall fragrance.

My rating: 5 stars

My favorites of the apples, in order of preference:

#1 is The Golden Apple of the Sun

#2 is The Glittering Apple of the Stars

#3 is The Silver Apple of the Moon

#4 is The Green Apple of Venus

(I didn't try the Black Apple.)

(Edited to eliminate redundancy)

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Mothballs. This smells like mothballs.

I have *no* idea. Will let it sit for a while and see if it decides to play a little more nicely...

Regarding the apples, I was looking forward to this one and the Green Apple of Venus the most. There are a lot of winning notes in this one. In the vial, this is all apple, frankincense, and ginger. On me, it's the same, but the apple is a little stronger and crisper. After a few minutes, there is something about this that turns a little dry. I don't get any of my beloved carnation, however, the tea is starting to unfold a bit.

It takes about fifteen minutes for the tea to become spicier and the carnation to join in, although the spices and carnation are very faint. They add a beautiful touch to this. This one morphs on me a lot so I'm going to have to test this quite a few more times before making a final conclusion.

Golden apple spice tea. I get the golden apple, tea, carnation and spices. On the drydown, its more of a carnation/floral spice tea mix.

Warm, golden, spicy.

This is soft and pretty. I get lovely soft apple with a myriad of golden notes like carnation, amber, lightly spiced tea, and a touch of hibiscus. Very pretty and comforting overall and I love how much this smells like a lightly spiced apple tea with hibiscus. After a while this goes a touch powdery but not by much and it softens up considerably. It is a cozy scent and something lighter that people in general will love very much. I was hoping for this scent to be a little more full bodied and not quite so soft, but it is still beautiful, just not bottle worthy for me.