Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

REGINA EREBI
The Queen of Hell: pomegranate, spear mint, black mulberry, and myrrh.

In bottle: The pomegranate and mulberry go together beautifully and are strongly dominant as a pair. I’d say the mulberry is strongest of the two, but really they play so well together, it’s silly to separate them. The spearmint is a clever touch, giving it a crisp affect, while the myrrh is a soft growl underneath. Wet; The mulberry is even stronger on the skin. It still plays beautifully with the pomegranate which provides a rich support. The spearmint’s sharpness, if anything goes even better with the other elements, while the strengthened myrrh gives it a lovely darkness that perfectly suits the concept. Dry: The mulberries mostly burn off, leaving a softer drier pomegranate dominant blend with a strong spearmint bite, and a hint of myrrh haunting it. Autumnal and dangerous. Yum.

I went through the list of Weenies this year going "death note...death note...death note...HEY! That's my name!" when I saw Regina Erebi. None of the listed notes were real dealbreakers so I figured well, why not give it a shot? Regina Erebi is very heavy on the mulberry on my skin; the pomegranate is more present when it's wet but fades quickly as it dries. I do smell the spearmint, very very lightly. What I want out of this that's not quite there yet is MORE MYRRH! The mulberry here is making this go just a bit candle-y and I think if the myrrh were more forward this would be much darker and complex. I'm going to age it and see how things go since myrrh does tend to age nicely. Right now--if it weren't for the name I probably wouldn't have tried this but I *am* tickled to have a bottle of Regina!

I was certain based on the components that this was going to be my end all, be all scent. Sadly I think "candle-y" is a fitting descriptor because after the pomegranate burns out in the drydown this blend is straight-up mulberry, very reminiscent of these overpriced pillar candles we sold at the Target store where I worked. More disappointing is how I never get any sort of mint, and there's not enough myrrh to curb the plasticky mulberry swallowing up my skin. I don't have much hope for age improving upon this one, so I'll be passing it along shortly.

The pomegranate in Regina Erebi is a dominant note on me, particularly after first applying, but the whole thing is very much like Askalaphos minus the soil. Later, the mulberry comes along to play with the pomegranate. At times, Regina Erebi is sweetly fruity, with the bite as mentioned from the spearmint. It's an attractive scent, but it's nothing special on my skin. It does have some pretty good staying power, as I've since washed and rubbed my wrist with alcohol, and I can still smell a hint of the fruit hours later. It doesn't have much throw, and I couldn't really smell it unless I actively considered it. Because it wasn't as delicious on me as I'd hoped, I actually tended to forget about it.

I was certain based on the components that this was going to be my end all, be all scent. Sadly I think "candle-y" is a fitting descriptor because after the pomegranate burns out in the drydown this blend is straight-up mulberry, very reminiscent of these overpriced pillar candles we sold at the Target store where I worked. More disappointing is how I never get any sort of mint, and there's not enough myrrh to curb the plasticky mulberry swallowing up my skin. I don't have much hope for age improving upon this one, so I'll be passing it along shortly.

This was the second of the An Evening in Hades decants I tried and unfortunately I can't add much more to the description of my experience than the above. In the vial I had some hope that the scent would be unique--the pom was sweet and juicy but didn't seem too "sweettarts" like and the other notes seemed to make it a pretty blend. Wet on the skin though it began to show signs of going plastic just like Green Apple of Venus and once it dried down...yup, fall candle all the way. Without the smoke to make it more interesting, no less. Worse, it's amping like heck and beginning to make me feel a bit nauseous. Definite pass, and it looks like no bottles from An Evening in Hades for me :(

I love mulberry and pomegranate, but apparently not in perfume form. Together, the two notes just smell awful and overwhelming on me. Pomegranate tends to smell like sweet tarts candy + something bitter on my skin, and the mulberry seems to add a darker, bitter, slightly plasticy edge to the whole thing. It winds up making me smell like a cheap fruity candle with a sharp edge that I hate. I did't get any mint or myrrh while I wore this, but I wound up scrubbing this off after about an hour. Regina Erebi gives me a headache...

Interesting scent, I think the mint is making it go a bit more winter/christmas vs fall. There is enough blend that it isn't going complete candle on me, I'm liking it, but thinking it might be more of a November scent for me.

My imp is a decant from schackjj, The Goddess of Decanters (to borrow a quote from another participant in our decant circle.)

In the imp: A clear, bright golden yellow oil. The fragrance is delicious in a non-foody sort of way, very fresh and lovely. It's spearmint first - not the heat or candy of peppermint or menthol, but a delightful sweet and light spearmint. That's balanced by the pomegranate and mulberry. In spite of the connection between pomegranates and The Underworld, this is heavenly rather than hellish to me!

On me, wet: The berry is the most dominant on my skin, with the mint coming in at a close second. It reminds me of one of those desserts that they put in a pool of berry puree, garnished with a few mint leaves. But I still really like it, and I don't like many foody scents. The mint keeps it from being overwhelmingly fruity.

After 10 minutes: The mint has now stolen the show, and has developed the biting green note of a fresh, torn, mint leaf. It's even more realistic than before. The fruits aren't going down without a fight - they are staying strong.

After 30 minutes: Basically the same, except that the sharpness of the torn mint leaf is settling down.

After 1 hour: The mint has returned to the light, sweet note it was in the imp, without any sharpness.

After 1 1/2 hours: The mint is all gone. Some of the pomegranate/mulberry remains, although it has gone a bit plastic. And the myrrh is finally coming out, giving this a new, warm and incensey, note.

After 3 1/2 hours: A faint note of myrrh.

My rating: 4 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I am instantly welcomed by the pomegranate and mulberry in the vial. It's quite tart. It reminds me of Io minus the red musk and mango. On me, it goes on darker and drier from the myrrh, yet it isn't distinctly myrrh. There is also something vaguely minty in the background but it's not distinctly spearmint either.

About fifteen minutes have gone by and nothing has changed. My skin is loving the fruits, and the myrrh, while more pronounced, remains delicately woven throughout the blend. Pom lovers would really appreciate this.

To me, this smells like pomegranate hibiscus tea steeping with sprigs of fresh mint when freshly applied. The drydown gets totally swallowed up by what I assume is the mulberry. As others have mentioned, this starts to smell like generic red candles. Naturally, since I didn't care for it, the throw was immense.

This is a very dark, very rich berry scent. I think it's the mulberry that cuts the overwhelming sweetness pomegranate can have sometimes. Definitely a bottle purchase!

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Regina Erebi is pomegranate and mulberry. Drying, mint starts to show. This is lovely.

Regina Erebi - I was excited for this scent more than any others, and it was the first one I tried. I haven't reviewed it until now because it made me so sad that I couldn't rave about it! I love mulberry and myrrh, and was excited to have another very rare mulberry scent. The mulberry blends gorgeously with the pomegranate and the myrrh gives it a really nice depth, and the spearmint is very subtle and smells like freshly-plucked mint leaves straight from the garden (i.e., it's not the super-sweet artificial mint of gum and toothpaste). Sadly, as the scent warms up on my skin, the pomegranate starts to take on this really weird vibe that reminds me of a cheap scented candle from the dollar store. It's not good at all. Leave it to pomegranate to ruin a perfectly good scent. I should have known it would do that. :rasp:

I really like this one...Pomegranate and Mulberry to start off with a hint of Spearmint and then the Myrrh grounds the blend. So simple, so pretty, and just a tad bit dark. I would normally buy a bottle, but my decant should last me for a while. :lol: 8/10

ETA: So...I caved and bought a bottle of this...it arrived today - I immediately put it on - and I LOVE it. I'd give it a solid 10/10 now...the mulberry is deep and sweet, the pom has softened her edges, the myrrh will only keep getting better with age, and the lift of the memory of mint is just divine. This is a genius blend...how does Beth do this??? I bet this would layer really well with Snake Oil too... :yum:

Edited by Herb Girl

Pomegranate, mulberry and myrrh. The mulberry sweetens and dulls the pom note which is always problematic with me, and the myrrh adds a resinous blend.

I actually enjoy this a fair amount.

I may need more.

Wow, after reading the other reviews I'm convinced that Regina Erebi goes off on me more than any BPAL I've tried. I got straight toothpaste in the worst way.

Clearly, my chemistry is incompatible with something here (spearmint, really?) so my experience with this oil must be a fluke. Sad!

Wow! I had no idea there was mint in this one!

On my skin this scent is a tart pomegranate surrounded by a lovely resin. Kinda tart yet sweet and deep at the same time!

This is actually a surprise hit for me. Based on the notes, I don't think I should like this one at all!

Holy mulberry, Batman! This jumps out of the imp and assaults you with dark purple yumminess. I actually get a little bit of the mint when it's wet, and then a slight scary potpourri stage. That fades. However, then it's generic red/purple pillar candles. Meh.

Strong, juicy pom at first. I love pom, but it doesn't love me, and eventually turns to a dusty pom. I get no other notes here.

I received this as a sniffie, but there was some oil left to test. AWAY I GO!

In bottle: sweet-tart, a bit of a clean bubbling from under a sinister fruit. Hmm!

On skin: SUPER CINNAMON where am I getting that? It reminds me heavily of mulberry cider candles.

Drydown: After a bit more of a bright fruitiness comes out, as though someone were slowly melting a sweet tart on the flame of said candle. This is rather nice after a longer while, it reminds me of the scent of multiple teas together in one box- spice tea, spearmint tea, pomegranate tea... And mulberry candle.

Verdict: All in all I get mulberry/spice/cider candle wax and tea, and I agree that it's a very autumnal scent. Kind of appropriate for the subject matter though, yes? I smell very much like these candles my friend's grandmother has, I believe they're called either "home sweet home" or something along those lines, it's a yankee candle scent.

I imagine availability of this scent is far and few in between, but I wouldn't mind happening upon it again someday.

ETA: After a few hours I'm finally getting something like a rosewoody myrrh, must be the fruits sweetening the myrrh. On my chest I get an almost ozonic mint tinge that was extremely surprising to experience. HMM!

Edited by madscientistdh

To my nose: This is fruity! It smells like cold fruit-tea. Sweet and almost something bitter mingling together in here. I smell Pomegranate and mullberries, with a little bit of cherries and the mint. The mint isn't very "minty" though, more green and adds an almost medicine-feel to Regina.

On: Hm.. This is different from when I first tried it on. Scents always like me better straight out of the package. After they've been "resting" for a couple of days most people say the scents change for the better, for me it's usually the other way around. Last time I got strictly mulberries and mint when I did a skintest. But now I get all kinds of red fruit and what I belive is the myrrh. It has a sweet, but almost metallic smell to it. And then it starts smelling like a candle.

Five minutes later: Why does it always happen to me?! I tried Regina on directly from the mailbox and loved it, minty mulberries and red fruits - it was soooo yummy! And now I get a high pitched screech of metal and what I can only say is red sweetness. Not even any fruit! I wonder if I'll have to shake her for about a week to get back to the first and yummy stage? Or did my skin change? Time of the month? So many question marks, I'll have to do another test of Regina before I decide what to do with her.

The Queen of Hell: pomegranate, spear mint, black mulberry, and myrrh.

Sniffie from a forum purchase, but with enough oil to still test on my skin.

mmmmmmm...this smells lovely.

Mainly I get Pomegranate and Mulberry and Myrrh. I have not picked up on much mint. There is also something like black pepper lurking around the edges of this scent.

It reminds me very much of B&BW or Brambleberry's Midnight Pomegranate. Only BPAL version is so much more complex and longer lasting. Very pretty and very dark.

Too bad this is a LE..I would not mind getting my hands on a big bottle.