Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Tenebrous Love: a shivering white musk with vanilla-infused white cocoa, amber incense, and dead, dry leaves.

Preconceived notions: I love white musk, and foodies, so I assume I'm going to really like Sonnet D'Automne. Due to my own preferences, I hope this is more sweet than leafy.

Wet: A glow of autumn leaves. They aren't dead and dry like the description; they are still juicy and probably sticky. The white musk rises up gradually as this settles onto my skin.

Dry: The leaves are farther away, but still perky. White musk is the strongest now, though it is sweeter than usual in this blend, probably thanks to the white cocoa. There is something that tickles my nose in here, and looking at the notes, it must be the amber incense, which is hiding somewhere in the middle of everything.

I understand why other reviews are saying mint; there is something (or a combination of somethings) in here that smells like the white mint in Lady Amalthea. In fact, Sonnet reminds me of Lady Amalthea in general, though it's more buoyant thanks to the juicy leaves.

The scent is evocative of feeling cold. The fragrance sends a shiver up my nose. It's definitely a white smell, and ever so slightly shrill.

Later: Keeps sweetening up. The white musk endures, and reigns over the other notes from above.

Overall: I think this is very good. It's a very beautiful, feminine scent for the season. 4/5

Dry leaves - this is everything I hoped October would be, but much nicer, much rounder and sweeter. After a few minutes I get the minty note most others are smelling, and while I'm normally not partial to minty scents, this could be the one that changes my mind because it's really exceptional. White cocoa and vanilla don't really appear until it's completely dried down, and they really tone down the minty aspects. But those are still there, alongside the scent of dry leaves. This is beautiful, it makes me think of a hike in the forest in autumn, and it's a scent I'm really in the right mood for at this time of year. Another winner. :thumbsup:

Sonnet D'Automne is strange on me. I love Falling Leaf Moon and Nothing Gold Can Stay, but most of bpal's leaf blends haven't worked for me. Sonnet D'Autonme is reminding me of October, I think, sort of a mix of damp leaves, slightly green leaves, and dead grass. I get the mint that others have mentioned as well, but not really any of the vanilla. It's like damp leaves, mint, and powder on my skin (and bpal's amber and vanilla notes often turn to baby powder on me, so I'm not sure which is the problem here). It smells like it has a perfumey floral note as it dries down on me, but I'm not really getting the vanilla or cocoa. All in all, it smells too cold and perfumey for me, and not sweet enough.

On me this is a base of soft, sweet vanilla and white musk with the cold, crisp dead leaf note from October. I love it. This is a bottle purchase for sure. :wub2:

Just got a decant of this as part of my order from Catseyes' Happy Halloweenies circle and was most eager to try it and La Calavera Catrina to see if bottle purchases need to go in before the Weenies come down ;)

In the Vial: This definitely made me perk up and go "Oh, unique!" I definitely agree with the cold dry autumn leaves as the forward note--where I live it's not so humid and October so far has been a see-saw of chilly nights/mornings and warm days. The leaf note here reminds me of our weather now, leaves just changing from green into golds/reds/oranges/browns and shivering still on the trees in the cold dawn. Very bright and chilly. I'm also getting the sweet from the vanilla/white cocoa and the richness of amber in the background, sweetening up the blend.

Wet on Skin: My gosh this is beautiful!! Throw is not super strong but it wafts gently around my wrist and up to my nose. The white cocoa has come forward a bit to blend more evenly with the vanilla--as others have mentioned for me this is more a dry, powdery white cocoa and not a creamy white chocolate note--which is good because the "buttery" aspect of such notes can go sideways on me. The shivering quality backs off a little bit, keeping it from being too "minty."

Dry on Skin: The combination of white musk, vanilla/white cocoa powder, and amber incense deepened by slightly woodsy dry leaves is rich and complex when I sniff at my wrist and from a distance (maybe a foot or so) it is slightly sweet, slightly incensy powder--the way I wish body or baby powder would smell. It is the best powdery scent I've ever tried and if anything could make me refrain from shouting my loathing of powder scents from the highest mountain, this would be it :lol: Not sure if it's a bottle purchase but the wet phase is making me think on it and I'm certainly enjoying the decant.

This was one of the few that I was really looking forward to. I love all of the notes in there except for the very end: the dead, dry leaves. Despite the fact that all of the other notes ideally work beautifully for me, I had a feeling the leaves would take over everything. Well, in the vial, they sure do. On me, it's slightly better. The amber and white musk step up and challenge the dead, dry leaves. I don't really get any sweetness from this that I thought I would from the vanilla-infused white cocoa. Dry, it has practically stabilized itself and stayed the same. Soft, dry leaves delicately laced with amber and white musk. It's a beautiful scent, but not bottle-worthy for me, after all.

This is intriguing. It's got the leaves and a minty smell along with vanilla and musk. It's a very clean and pretty scent. Will put in the bottle possible list.

In tester: oh wow. Dry leaves, cocoa, vanilla, and white musk. Slightly cologney, but also quite creamy due to the cocoa and vanilla. I wouldn't call this foody, but definitely chocolatey.

Wet on skin: so, so pretty. Love! I can tell right now that this will be a keeper, depending on that white musk. Fragrant and slightly herbal leaves, and cocoa, and vanilla. Overall feel is cool and cold, but not minty. Ohhh, this is love. The play between the leaves, cocoa and vanilla is really pretty here, it's simple and uncomplicated but great character.

Dry: cocoa and vanilla, with that slightly herbal coolness. The leaves have receded newly dry on my skin, although as it's on me longer, the leaves do come back out--and much later on, I had a mostly-herbal leaves with a touch of cocoa, and unexpectedly beautiful too, in a different way. There are no grandmothery notes here for me, the white musk stays true.

Verdict: definitely a keeper! I also ordered a bottle of this unsniffed and I'm pleased to know that it's definitely "coming home".

Dry leaves, mint, vanilla? How could this possibly not be outstanding?! This was the one I was most excited about- first whiff didn't disappoint and the mint quickly rounded the leaf smell, which is actually really pretty and smells like the perfect, sunny fall day.

Then, it turned into soap/ hair spray sharpness that would not wash off. I kept waiting for it to maybe morph into something lovely and softer, but no.

Puttin it up for swappin/ sale. Super bummed.

this was a surprise! sometimes chocolate just goes crazy on me (how doth the little crocodile) and i was a bit concerned that i'd end up smelling like a candy store. not the case as the cocoa is nicely tempered but the other notes and it doesn't overpower anything.

imp: smells light and sharp, i get a hint of the same leaves note as devil's night and october but in a different setting.

wet: mostly amber but with a hint of vanilla. the crisp leaves fade a bit from the imp.

dry: vanilla, amber, and cocoa. there's a light muskiness to it but this mellows and warms into something really nice. i can wear it to work and it's just right for this time of year.

this was up for a potential bottle purchase but i was able to get a half bottle and a really full imp so i'm going to leave it at that. i really like this one.

Just got my Halloweenie shipment in the mail today! I ordered 4 bottles by description alone (since I never have time to make it to the will-call events in my area, boooooo) -- Le Revenant, Ghosts In Love, The Autumnal, and Sonnet D'Automne.

In the bottle, Sonnet smells like a sweetened-up October, with maybe a hint of Death of Autumn (the vetiver scent is what I think I smell, although it's not present in the notes I don't believe). But on my skin? The Girl. Ohhhhh, boy. I'm still hoarding about half a bottle of The Girl, but I think I'll go ahead and order up another couple of this one for backup. Unnnnnngh.

I love this! this was "October" on Steriods for me - very similar scent, but it was just so much more rebust...that is the only way I can describe it!

I loved October, and had been waffling on buying a bottle, and then hadn't since I knew it was on Backorder - and then went ahead and bought a bottle of this unsniffed...SO GLAD I DID!! :wub2:

i am really ambivalent about this one-i just cannot decide if i like it or like it a lot. it's very pretty, but may be a bit too strong? i don't normally like cocoa, but i think the other notes in this add a nice blend, so that it doesn't overwhelm or seem to foody. maybe i would only like this in autumn/fall? i do have to say, thsi would be a gorgeous scent for a candle. i would LOVE if my room smelled like this. it's very elegant. ok, after writing this review, i've decided i do really like it, but that it's a bit strong, and i will have to use it sparingly. i may even need a bottle. will re-try it shortly to be sure :D

I remember not being that impressed during the quick initial test, so we'll see how this goes.

In the imp: Leaves. If I concentrate, I get a whiff of white cocoa, musk, and incense.

Wet: Pretty bland, honestly. Lackluster leaves- these are definitely dry and dead- along with something vaguely minty. I can tell the white cocoa is "vanilla-infused"; it's blended so well it doesn't really smell like white cocoa but something creamier. Musk in the background, but not too much, a tiny, barely noticeable touch of amber...the incense gives it an overall slight tang. Right now my reaction is largely "meh".

Drydown: As more white cocoa comes out, this vaguely reminds me of Lady Almathea, like someone else mentioned, but much less sweet. Whereas Lady Almathea was a deep blue-violet, this is more tan. The amber's coming out more now, and it adds a bit more elegance to the scent. When a lot more amber and vanilla show up, it's a very quietly elegant scent. It definitely has an end-of-autumn/transitioning to winter feel. I get a blast of incense briefly that pretty much takes over, making me smell like the yard outside a church, but it thankfully calms down.

Dry, a few hours later: A slightly sweet, creamy scent. It's impossible to pick out notes now, but it's pleasant.

This was okay. I like this only about half of the time it's on, and even then I'm not that crazy about it. I'm thinking I probably just need to leave incense alone, no matter what the qualifier is. I think this would be a dream come true on the right person, though.

I didn't know quite what to expect from this blend of notes.

The leaf note is definitely the most prominent, which is disappointing to me because that note always hits my nose as a bit too sharp and bitter for my liking. There's definitely a mint component here, and the musk/vanilla/mint combo is sweet and smooth, but the leaf note keeps it from going overly sweet. It's certainly an interesting and unique scent, I just don't really like it.

As it dries the notes meld together better into sort of a cool soft round scent and the bitter leaf note no longer is assaulting my nose, but this one definitely just doesn't work for me.

chill white musk- there is mint but it doesn't smell like mint, it smells like cold air, or maybe cold skin, kinda like The Vampire Bride. there's the autumn leaves note from october and a bit of sweet vanilla. it reminds me a little of the last unicorn (this is a good thing!).

this is like a crisp autumn morning with frost on bright red leaves.

The white musk + amber is, as always, kind of generic on first application, but it the cocoa and incense quickly lends some complexity. Over time, the white musk provides a cool base underneath a sweeter vanilla, with faint hints of smokiness (more incense than leaves on me). The throw is mid-range for me--not too close to the skin, but not something you'd catch across the room, either.

The longer I wear BPAL, the more I think white musk scents just aren't for me. This is super-pretty and, I think, pretty nice on my skin, but I feel more comfortable with warmer scents, and white musk ends up pretty cold on me, even with the smoky notes. (As the poem advertises, I suppose. Ha!)

WOW! I did not expected this one! I didnt got any imps and just went for La calavera catrina, Sonnet and vampire bride as bottle.

This one is my fave out of these 3.

I expected it to be far more leaves and stuff but on my skin its sweet! vanilla with a fresh mint note and a smokey undertone. Sounds weired but I really smells like nothing I ever had. I will put all my weenies away to age since I think they need that to become deeper and richer. They all still feel to "new born" to me, but this one I will aready wear occasionally :wub2:

In the bottle: Hints of all the notes, but overall is the aquatic feel of the shivering white musk.

Wet: Cold and somewhat aquatic leaves, green not dry.

The dry-down: The vanilla-infused white cocoa is making its presence known again, with hints of the amber incense. The leaves are now seer and frost-coated. The way this morphs captures the outdoors of the autumn in an interesting fashion. I rather like this and may have to stock up. :) Love the poem, of course. If this scent was a tea, I'd be drinking it all year-round, as hot tea in cooler times, and iced tea in the warmer months.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Sonnet D'Automne is just leaves. It's a sister of October and November.

Drying, I think the white musk, vanilla, and amber are starting to show through the leaves. No white cocoa.

This is good. I'm hoping in a year or two, it'll be gorgeous.

In the imp: incense-y floral. Hmm.

Wet: Sweet, mainly the white cocoa coming through here, but a hint of musk, and a little sharpness. Maybe this is the mint that others are getting. I don't get mint exactly, but...mint-like. That sharpness that hits the back of your nose.

Dry: The musk definitely comes to the front, with the cocoa, leaves and amber as beautiful background notes. I think the white musk really suits me, I've gotten more compliments on this than any perfume I've ever worn. This is so worth becoming my first bottle ever. :wub2:

Wet it's all leaves and cold air. It warms up as it dries down to a beautiful musk with the sweet dry leaf smell you get on warm autumn afternoons.

In the vial: A thin scent of dead leaves.

On me: The musk/vanilla/cocoa/amber combination comes out when it hits the skin, followed by dead leaves. Once drydown is said and done, this is dead leaves on the skin, spicy dark organic and easily the strongest leaves I've had the chance to smell from BPAL, and a pale sweetish white cocoa in the throw, a lighter and more predictable scent which is almost but not quite foody. It has an impression of candied leaf litterand who knew that could be so lovely? because it is. Unfortunately it develops a cloying note within a few hours off wear, which isn't quite enough to sour the scent but comes close.

Verdict: This is one to retest, to see if the cloying end note shows up each time. I'll be disappointed if it does, because Sonnet d'Autome is otherwise beautiful. It's the sort of unique scent I look for from BPAL: miles from a traditional perfume, evocative, unusual, but wearable.

Wet: Yep, those would be leaves. I think I can detect some white musk in there, but the leaf note is front and center.

Dry: There's mint in there. That must be the "shivering white musk". Can't smell the leaves anymore, just mint with a hint of greenery behind it. hmm.

This blend is the opposite of what I should be able to wear: I usually loathe white musk, white chocolate sometimes goes plastic on me, and I almost always get a headache from snow, incense, and leaf notes. But so many good reviews of this convinced me to try it.

And I just can't stop sniffing my wrist. It's really that good. :thud:

I'll admit I still fear that it could trigger a headache if I slather it, but I'm seriously tempted to pick up a bottle anyways. :yum:

[update 10/22/12] After a year of aging, Sonnet D'Automne has firmly become a top favorite. If you haven't tried it yet, I strongly recommend it - it's gorgeous. :wub3:

Edited by rawgirl75