Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
JasminDreams2010

Pumpkin Princess

PUMPKIN PRINCESS
Before the Grand Dame was the Pumpkin Queen, she was a Pumpkin Princess! Bright, sweet pumpkin with vanilla fluff, guava, chocolate-dusted white amber, tiare, red currant, raw honey, and meringue.

Oh- goodness, am I the first to review? Wonderful!
I have been waiting for this to come in the mail, oh joy!
I have been craving a beautiful autumn scent- the leaves are yellowing here in Pennsylvania.
The label art for this is pretty featuring a girl in a big bright pumpkin patch.

In the bottle- Big, Warm, Pumpkin.

On my skin- Pumpkin, but this is not a spicy pumpkin pie but more of a fruit scent. Amber and Red Currant show up and lend more warmth. There is something that smells like caramel.

in a few minutes, this morphs into something unexpected but a pleasant surprise- on my this becomes a tropical floral. (I love, love LOVE tropical florals). I was expecting something more like Jack, or something that smelled like pumpkin cheesecake but this is not that at all. The pumpkin in here is not entirely unlike Jack but this is more ambery/sexy than straight up food.
My skin tends to eat foodiness and amp florals, amber and sandalwood, so this is not particularly sweet on me. I would be interested to know if others have a similar reaction. Must be the tiare.

drydown- This is mostly gardenias and amber, with some harmonious pumpkin and fruit notes. Very sweet, warm and is somehow both autumn- appropriate and tropical. The amber in this is lovely, it's a "glowing" sort of scent. I can see the "princess" title, this sexy but more sweet than vampy. On me though oddly enough it is nowhere near as foody as the notes would indicate. Strange.

My complaints is just that it fades somewhat quickly. I will be keeping the bottle- this may be a slatherer. :wub2:

In the bottle- Yummy pumpkin pie, with a hint of sticky fruit juice and chocolate underneath.

Wet- warm pumpkin, spices, and sweet fruit with a hint of chocolate. The guava and honey come out a little more than the pumpkin.

Dry- Vanilla and honey, with a little bit of tropical fruit and spice. Very yummy, but sadly no pumpkin like I was hoping for. Something about it reminds me of South America (maybe the chocolate, spice, and guava?)

overall- This smells AMAZING in the bottle, but it seems to fade very quickly on me, and you can’t smell the pumpkin at all on my skin, which was very disappointing! It still smelled great, just not pumpkin-y. I may give this a few more tries (I sometimes find that the perfume changes a little bit once it’s been opened and exposed to air), otherwise I’ll give it to my pumpkin obsessed sister. ;)

Man, would I love to smell the pumpkin. Ya know what this smells like? Sugar Plum Fairy. Only it's less bright and fruity. It's the tiare. I don't know if I'm sensitive to that note or what, but it's very heavy on the flowers. Pumpkin Princess is pretty much a tiare single-note on me until three or four hours later when it dries down to the vanilla fluff and meringue. It's lovely, but it smells more like Easter than Halloween. I'll have to let it age and see what it does... pumpkin, please!

I kinda waffled back and forth after I ordered Pumpkin Princess because of the guava and the other sugary-sweet notes. However, it is nicely balanced and no one component overtakes the other, with the exception of the tiare flower, which is the dominant note. In the bottle I definitely smell sugary pumpkin with some white floral, but it's pretty light and pretty. Given the notes, I'm surprised that this scent manages to blend some rather tropical elements (tiare, guava, chocolate) and manages to ground them and make them smell appropriate for autumn. All in all I like Pumpkin Princess a lot. I wish it was a little more long-lasting, but otherwise I have no complaints--the scent, the label art and the name all fit together seamlessly.

Pumpkin Princess is a completely different sort of pumpkin scent than we've had before. It's not the (sometimes-rancid) buttery pumpkin scent of Jack, nor is it the overly strong spicy pumpkin pie scent that was Blue Pumpkin floss. This is a slightly fruity, slightly floral pumpkin scent- sweeter and lighter than most, and the pumpkin is what grounds it. I didn't detect chocolate. I was slightly worried about the guava, since that is a note that typically doesn't work on me, but it blends well with the floral. I think I'll end up saving it for late summer days, when I'm jonesing for some pumpkin but it's still too hot to wear my deep autumn scents. Oh, and it's worth getting just for the adorable label art! :wub2: (Bad eyes, but I think it's Lilith in the midst of huge pumpkins!)

A very happy, pretty and girly (but not childish or prim) scent for Fall.

The Florals and Fruits are vibrant and colorful. Wouldn't have detected Chocolate without reading the Notes but something lovely is grounding all the scents along with the Pumpkin.

Very pleased with this.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Bright fruity pumpkin on my skin with red currant and honey. I'm not really getting any chocolate out of this. I don't find this terribly foody and definitely has more of a pumpkin floral vibe to it the longer it dries on my skin.

ETA: Bottle label is darling with Lilith in it.

Edited by angelicruin

Thank goodness I read PumpkinGuts' review because for awhile I thought I had a mislabeled bottle! I don't get a single whiff of pumpkin in this blend, or vanilla or chocolate, for that matter. It's nothing but super sweet floral on me, which is a huge disappointment, not to mention somewhat headache-inducing. icon_sad.gif

I love that there is nothing at all cinnamony, pumpkin-pie-spicy, or buttery about this pumpkin blend! :wub2:

It's all sweet pumpkin, fruits and florals on me. It fades pretty quickly, but I love a good slater. I don't get any of the chocolate, and the guava and tiara are nice and subtle (I was worried about them as I don't 'do' tropical notes well), and they go surprisingly well with the pumpkin!

Love this one, and will be keeping the back-up I bought on a forum-whim. ;)

ETA: The label is adorable!

Edited by Wolfie79

I honestly don't know what I smell. Comparing it to Pumpkin Queen, it's softer (not weak, just not a sharp scent) and quite warm. I'm not good at picking out individual notes, especially those I really don't know. I don't get chocolate, but I do get the caramel JasminDreams2010 mentioned.

I also don't get the tropical floral others have suggested. I might be getting the honey. Either way, I don't love this scent, which is disappointing because I really wanted to. It's almost a band-aid/plastic smell. I'm going to test it with Pumpkin Queen on the other wrist to compare them, but all I can say is that I'm glad the Pumpkin Princess grew up into a Pumpkin Queen.

Edited by Lyssa

This is so pretty! I was worried about chocolate and currant but I'm not getting much of either one here. This is mostly sugary sweet fruit blended with soft vanilla, very soft, well-blended tiare and hints of creamy pumpkin in the background. The sugary sweetness of the guava (which is almost watery), light airy amber, sweet honey (no musky honey here just pure sweetness) and vanilla amps on me and that's what I'm mostly left with. Not what I was expecting (I was hoping for more pumpkin) but this is a lovely, sweet youthful playful blend, probably better for warmer weather, though.

Wet: Sweet, buttery, slightly floral pumpkin. This isn't a spiced pumpkin at all, which is fantastic for me, as spiced fall scents usually smell like candles on me. It's definitely a bright scent. I can't pick out most of the notes in this one, but so far the blend is very pretty. The amber warms things up and keeps the florals from being too sharp.

If this doesn't morph into anything crazy, I may have just found the first pumpkin scent that works for me! :joy:

Edited by whataboutprom

This may get me lynched, but this reminds me of a floral commercial perfume. I think it's the mix of tiare and guava that does it. The frustrating part for me is that under the strong floral I can smell the parts of Pumpkin Queen that I love. It's sweet, with a bright pumpkin note (not a musky one), and over all gives the impression of a floral gourmand scent. If you like Pumpkin Queen and florals, this is probably a great scent for you!

Pumpkin Princess is very sweet and girly. But I don't get one bit of pumpkin. Come on!! My absolute favorite scent/taste ever. Not one bit of it. Travesty!!! :cry2:

I can detect the vanilla fluff & meringue. And I guess the guava. It smells fruity but I wouldn't have been able to say,"Hey that's guava."

I'm on the fence. Will let it age.

~

First on, this is a light, fruity pumpkin scent that's delicate and pretty. It's not a spicy pumpkin, but a lightly fruity pumpkin dusted with vanilla amber and drizzled in honey.

As it dries, the tiare becomes much more prominent, reminding me quite a bit of Sugar Plum Fairy. Both scents seem to share a lot of notes, but I have always amped tiare. No more pumpkin to speak of.

This is so feminine, and incredibly pretty. A definite crowd pleaser. But as I never wore Sugar Plum Fairy, I'm fairly certain I won't end up wearing this one :(

Edited by Klepz

In the bottle: Pumpkin, amber, some sweet notes.

Wet: Not much different from the cold sniff.

The dry-down: Alas, the amber is floating on top of all the other lovely notes. At the moment, I prefer the Pumpkin Queen. However, I'm keeping the bottle to age, and besides, the label is super-cute. :wub2: Here's hoping that I can later find the chocolate, honey, and vanilla.

A couple of hours later: This has softened and is not so powdery (my main problem with amber, alas). There's faint hints of the chocolate, honey, and vanilla, and yes, here's guava, late to the party. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

This is a cousin to Sugar Plum Fairy...but with Pumpkin instead of Plum. I like it much more after a proper testing than I did at will call. A nice light pumpkin with amber, vanilla, cocoa, guava and tiare. Very nice...and what an adorable label!!!

Edited to add that this has aged beautifully and I wish I hadnt sold my bottle!

Edited by Herb Girl

These LE's don't sell as Imps - I misunderstood this, and ordered it as an Imp, but the lovely (and truly helpful) lab people informed me of my misunderstanding and even let me alter my order and add payment via Paypal :wub2:

This is how I ended up with a full bottle of Pumpkin Princess.

I scanned the reviews here, growing ever more nervous as a majority seem to hold some breath of...disappointment?

:excl: This is tricky for me, and this review will be VERY hard to read - because out of the notes in this one, I know only how Vanilla, Red Currant, Raw Honey and Chocolate actually smell.

Pumpkin, Guava, Amber and Tiare are completely new to me, and Meringue...I never attributed a smell to that in my mind.

So the entire review will have to work with my rather narrow references to color, temperature, feelings and textures.

Please, if you do read, understand that if I say "smells like an autumn-leaf looks" that is what I mean - I do not mean the smell of leaves, I mean the look and the smell are somehow linked in my mind :)

If this is not taken into account, this text will fill no purpose and may confuse and disappoint. :excl:

So - my Pumpkin Princess.

I smelled it in the bottle first, and I didn't like it at all, because it smelled almost exactly like the heavy, soft bread that my grandmother used to have sent from USA for Xmas. I didn't much like those...

When I applied it - sparingly, due to my dislike of the initial smell, it smelled the same, and I remembered the uncomfortable pressure in my chest from eating that horrible Xmas bread as a child.

Yet, amazingly, I was almost shocked as the initial heavy-soft-bread-cloud started to disperse, and something deliciously sparkly and orange - it smells like autumn-leaves LOOK, not like they smell; flaming, almost otherworldy and precious - started to come out. I have no idea what it is, but I love it.

After a while of that, my mind keeps filling with images of eating some dripping, but ever so slightly stringy and textured fruit - it just gives me that feeling. Are pumpkins like that in texture? I hope they are now...

This fruit-Texture (not smell) is then topped with something almost like cotton candy, only gooier and wetter, possibly like WET meringue? - and far more delicious.

In this stage, almost all my associations are foody; pie, tea, fruit, but also autumn-sun through hazy clouds falling on orange and yellow and red trees, turning them into gems and gold.

I loved that - I even put some on before bed (I normally can't sleep wearing anything - clothes or perfume or jewellery or anything at all) and after the initial 5 minutes of heavy, soft bread, I felt myself falling asleep gently safe in an autumn forest (!)

I love-love-love that stage - and I will be buying a second bottle - and maybe a third - this one I want to keep around for as long as I can and I already Hate that it is LE :(

That, yesterday, was then love - and then, I woke up this morning and my skin is simply SHIMMERING - the smell has somehow developed over night, and I wake up to a soft, pale golden shimmer, tinted with what at least Feels like small, perky flowers and wet dew - it doesn't really smell wet at all, and I apologize if this is confusing, but it Feels like those mornings.

In my mind, smells are strangely connected to colors and Images, so - just in case this all sounds weird.

This is what I smell like for ours upon ours, soon as the bread is gone: http://autumnwallpaper.net/preview/autumn_forest.jpg

And this is what I smell like today: http://www.vistawallpapers.com/image.php?v=./data/media/10/Autumn_Forest_in_the_Sun.jpg

I am sorry for my page-long babbling, but I have loved many scents from BPAL now - but this one is not like the others. The others I have loved are all connected to situations in my mind (O or Vasilissa for sex or seduction, Troll for cuddles and cozying, Kitsune-Tsuki for being Beautiful, Hollywood-Babylon for gigs and concerts, Bordello for days where I can't find my spark and faith in myself) but this one...this one I could wear every day, all day, always - all situations.

So I am sorry this is a long and maybe confusing review - but I loved Pumpkin Princess and I wanted to shout my love from the rooftops :love!:

Edit: wrote this two days ago, now I am PMS'y - me and PMS means Kitsune-tsuki smells like sharp soap, O smells like Steel wool, Bordello smells like old lemons - short version, PMS makes everything smell BAD on me!

Pumpkin Princess, however, smells like wet leaves on the ground in a forest in autumn, when you go out to pick mushrooms for food. Incredible! I sniffed a pumpkin yesterday in a shop, to find out what they smell like, and I suspect it is that smell that gets...tweaked...by my PMS to smell like mushrooms. But very faintly and very Nice - this is made of so much win I can't even begin to describe it !

Edited by Asinya

I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers, Pumpkin Princess is Sugar Plum Fairy's autumnal little sister. This starts off with tiare and amber and a hint of pumpkin. The tiare-amber combination stays prominent until drydown, when this is a girly, sweet vanilla-fluff scent.

Most honey scents do not work on my skin, and surprisingly I get no honey from this at all! I love tiare, and I love Sugar Plum Fairy, and I really like this scent so far too., although I do wish the pumpkin note was stronger.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Sadly Pumpkin Princess delivers no pumpkin for me. All I am detecting is the tiare flower sweetened up with a touch of vanilla. The tiare is the prominent note on my skin, and really bombards my nose upon first application. Sadly the other notes fail to appear, and I am especially pining for the pumpkin in "Pumpkin Princess". This drys down to a boring, bland floral. I will let it age and perhaps it will develop into a bottle to keep in my collection. Not very much luck with the Weenies this year.

The label is adorable, probably the my top pick for the cutest ever besides Sprinklecake's label.

I agree with Celrynnya (smells like a commercial perfume) and the perfume it reminds me of is Calvin Klien's Escape. The pumpkin burns off really quick.

Glad I bought a bottle because I really like it. :)

Sniff: Faint and light, a dusting of sugar

Wet: The pumpkin is more of a supporting note, providing an earthy base and warmth. I'm getting lots of tiare mixed with a light fruity sweetness, charming and bright. This is a pumpkin blend which isn't too foodie - it's decidedly more floral in nature.

Dry: Settles to a warm honey musk, soft and sweet and pretty. Not my usual style, but still fun to test. Would definitely recommend for people who like light florals and want their pumpkin without spice.

My first thought out of the bottle was that it smelled a lot like Jack, so the pumpkin was very strong, but with a different kind of sweetness.

My skin eats pumpkin like crazy after the dry-down, so Jack ends up something like butterscotch or something on me, which is more like something I'd like to eat rather than smell like, but still smells lovely.

Pumpkin Princess after the dry-down is much better. It's a lovely delicate floral with a hint of vanilla or something. A little sweeter than I like my florals, though, so I don't know if I need more. My friend said he wanted to eat me after smelling it! :lol:

I feel like I've smelled this before, in a more mainstream scent that I can't quite place (something I've smelled in Sephora, though, and it's driving me crazy that I can't remember). Maybe something like Pink Sugar Sensual, but not quite.

Mainly this is like a creamy, sugary vanilla musk that dries down rather perfumey, with hints of sweet, bright fruitiness (guava, not the currant) and a touch of girly powder from the amber. I get a light warmth and subtle spiciness from the pumpkin, but it's not a very strong note at all.

Pumpkin Princess is a little more perfumey/musky smelling than I normally like, especially as it dries down, but the sweetness and vanilla-y qualities are nice.

This isn't something that I'm going to hoard or wear a lot, but I'm happy to have a partial bottle.

Hmm. Pumpkin Queen is one of favorite BPAL scents (and the only one I have a full backup of) so I was hoping for the best when I ordered a full bottle of the Princess.

Sniffing the two bottles side by side I can smell the similarities. The pumpkin note is the same to me and quite strong but while the Queen is a little heavier and darker, the Princess has a brighter fruity vibe.

It's the same on my skin. On one arm Pumpkin Princess blooms into a slighty floral fruit with a base of pumkpin and on the other Pumpkin Queen is gingery amber-drenched pumpkin.

Edited by skye