Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White sandalwood, tobacco flower, lily of the valley, white carnation, and magnolia blossom with tea rose, labdanum, and oudh.

In tester: tobacco flower, faint lily, tea rose, and carnations. A touch of sandalwood.

Wet on skin: tobacco flower, sandalwood, and tea rose. Aaaand the rose is getting dusty, very dusty--the kind that makes me want to sneeze, too. The sandalwood is quite prominent for me, and the lily is fading away--which is a shame. Smoky tobacco flower and sandalwood giving this a faintly incensey feel (though I wouldn't call it an incensey blend), and the carnations are starting to come up.

Dry: well, what do you expect? Powdery rose, and that's it--none of the other notes are coming out for me now that the rose has trampled everything to oblivion.

Verdict: it's a shame, tea rose can work on me sometimes. Oh well! Edited by angelamaria

On the skin: A pretty pretty floral. A lovely white scent. It's not really for me though. It turns way too soapy on my skin.

Lovely and light, good for sleeping and other times I want something flowery and subtle.

Very complex and nice though.

On me this is a soapy rose cologne that sticks in my throat. I bought the bottle unsniffed, hoping it would work because most of the notes work well on me. But, the rose stole the show here, and I'm amping it to high heaven. Right on my skin, I can smell the other notes, but the rose has a massive throw. Must wash off.

Drat!

ETA: 5 washings later, most of the rose is gone. My skin doesn't want to let go of that rose!

Edited by Kamanjah

This is soapy to my nose--probably the lily + sandalwood combination, which reminds me of fancier soaps. It's clean and perfumey, though over time it becomes an almost old-fashioned rose perfume to my nose, with notes of lily and carnation. It's still a little soapy, but pretty.

Dry sandalwood and smoky white flowers. A bit high pitched and soapy as others have noted. This reminds me of Smoky Moon back a couple of summers ago. This would be perfect for a cool spring evening, a very mysterious blend.

Oh dear. I didn't need to have to hunt down yet another full bottle of something discontinued.

Ghosts in Love smells absolutely unremarkable to even clumsy - like scratch-n-sniff rose - in the bottle. On skin, though, it just opens up into this well-balanced poem of a scent, and I can't stop sniffing my wrists!!

It is, for lack of a better description, a smoky floral...like someone made a high-quality incense out of a proper churchgoing lady's perfume. It is sophisticated and sweet and absolutely to die for.

Luckily it didn't go soapy on me, though the white sandalwood did threaten to. I think this is because lily of the valley and rose tend to be good on my skin, and the smoky tobacco and oude and carnation scents kept the scent deep and interesting.

This is a mesmerizing scent. I hope someone has a spare bottle somewhere!

EDIT - FINALLY got a partial of the 2011, and a full bottle of the 2013. :)

Edited by LadyMedb

ITI: It's floral and green with a little juiciness. I get tobacco flower, tea rose, magnolia, oudh, and carnation. It is a clean scent, especially along the lines of Linen.

Wet: Juicy, floral, and slightly soapy. Tea rose, carnation, magnolia, lilt, and subtle hints of sandalwood. Very nice.

Dry: Carnation, magnolia, with heavy whiffs of tea rose. The incense aspects of it has died down considerably.

First off, Rose, Magnolia, Carnation and Lily of the Valley are swirling around eachother. The main note at the start is distinctly floral. Underneath that is the White Sandalwood, smelling woody - but in a very clean, dry way. As the perfume dries down, the sandalwood becomes a little more obvious.

Besides the sandalwood shining through a bit more as it dries down, I can also smell the tobacco blossom. It is a green, herbal scent (I think the blossom itself gets lost in the other flowers). If you have wild tobacco where you live - this smells very like rubbing a fresh, green, wild tobacco leaf. However, it is by no means a dominant note. Just giving a bit of green background to the flowers.

There's also something kind of bubbly/effervescent I keep catching. A bit like the effervescence in champagne. It's also kind of resiny. It's a very light sparkly resin - like the lightness of frankincense taken up to 11. I don't know what this is, but it might be the labdanum or the oudh.

Overall, this isn't much of a morpher, just a swirl of sweet, fresh flowers made a bit clean and wild by the sandalwood, green wild tobacco, and resin in the background.

The rose reminds me of the rose in Rose Red - if that is helpful to anyone.

(This is the 2013 version.)

Edited by Cactus

It's a cold day and my skin's a bit dry, which may be affecting how the scent develops. That said-

I get mostly tea rose out of this. There's enough complexity that it's not a solefleur, but the tea rose stands out the most. (Keep in mind that I do tend to amp rose, especially when the perfume is fairly fresh, which this is.) It's a bit tangy at the beginning, but thankfully not as shrill as some roses can go on me, and dries down to a rather sweet, fruity tea rose that isn't too soapy. I do get the effect Ghost of a Rose mentioned, how it develops differently on different wrists - it faded a lot faster on my left. It's not unpleasant, and I'm glad to find another rose that behaves itself, but I wish I got more of a mixed floriental effect. I already have an imp of London!

I will hang onto this and see if it gets more complex with a bit of aging.

2011: Reminds me of old but very fine linen, once white but now a little tatty after years of washing, scented with sachets of dried flowers. Old-fashioned and, indeed, ghostly.

Edited by bellumed

2011: Nothing but sandalwood when I first put this one. As it dried, I got more and more carnation and tea rose. When I hugged my four year old, he said "mom, you smell pretty" and I agree - this is a pretty floral-oriental scent. After aging for four years, it has some serious staying power and projection. It has gotten so bold on my skin that I had go to wash it off my wrists. I'd rubbed some through my hair and that smells just perfect.

This is one that my great-grandmother would have worn, both in a powder and in a perfume that she decanted into a pink atomizer. She was a tiny wisp of a woman, and this is one I think she would have loved.

I'm glad I got a decant of this and not a bottle. I'm not particularly in love with it, but it definitely captures the ethereal idea of Ghosts in Love and I'm glad I got a chance to wear it.