Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fermented apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, lemon zest, butterscotch liquor, and orange slices.

From a decant, 2014 version: starts off very apple-y, then the orange and spices kick in. It dries down to a lovely soft cider scent. Reminds me a bit of Punkie Night, but not quite so in-your-face. Will make due with my decant, though, as Punkie Night is about all the cider I can handle.

(2014 version)

I'm torn about Autumn Cider- I can't tell if it smells delicious or like a delicious candle. It starts off crisp and appley (but more of a cider apple than a fresh apple) and sweet then is quickly joined by a strong blast of cinnamon (which I amp) There's also a hint of other spices and orange in there. It's not much of a morpher, though the cinnamon calms down eventually. It smells pretty much like the little store at at apple orchard or a Christmas store, or something like that, if it makes sense. It smells good, but I'm having a hard time parsing the smells because of the scent associations.

I will probably keep my decant, but I'll probably not get a bottle unless it amazes me in the next few weeks.

2014 version

Autumn Cider smells less like cider and more of a mulled punch with tart cranberries. I do get an apple note, however, the cranberry is dominant. I'm with Allumina, I can't decide if this is too candle-like to wear on the skin as a perfume. I really love the way this smells, it reminds me of Thanksgiving and the cranberry chutney I make every year. I grew up next to cranberry bogs and used to pillage them illegally as a teen just for my special holiday condiment. I'm going to keep this for nostalgia and also try it in my oil warmer. :)

Edited by Monster

2014 version.

In the bottle: This isn't like cider at all. It's like a spiced fruit punch. The apple note in this reminds me of the Trading Post's Harvest Festival atmosphere spray (which also smelled like punch). The orange note is quite prominent.

Wet: Yep, spicy fruit punch. The apple note is quite prominent at first, but the spices become stronger, along with the orange note. The spices are starting to burn my skin. There is a huge red circle on my skin (although this was lightly applied). I get more orange and spices than apple now, but the apple note is still present.

Dry: Very spicy fruit punch.

Verdict: I was hoping that this one would work for me, but alas, my skin is too sensitive to handle the spices in this one. I will either swap my bottle or give it to a family member.

Edited by dementia_divine

I was so worried when I opened my bottle because all I could smell was butterscotch but on me ..... oh my goodness its all apple and orange :) hints of spice and cider. Gorgeous apple goodness. Love.

2014 version

This is is definitely more spices - I got the apple cider + spices (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg) on wet. And then it dries, the apple cider sort of evaporates, I get a hint of butterscotch and brown sugar.

It certainly smells like apple cider and autumn spices. It veers a little into the potpourri side for me.

2014 version.

When I first put this on, I got apple and what I thought was cranberry, though it'd not listed, and I'm guessing the cranberry impression was created by the apple or the orange interacting with the spices. The cranberry impression is fleeting, and this becomes mainly apple/orange/cinnamon. Lemon zest adds a little tartness. Once in a while, if I really go hunting for it, I can smell what I think might be the butterscotch--except my nose does something weird with the accord and I smell white chocolate instead. Clove comes out more as the apple/orange/cinnamon fade.

It is kind of potpourri-y. This would be a flat-out amazing room scent, and I plan to try to use it as such. On me, I prefer Fearful Pleasure and Samhain.

This is for 2014

When I smell it in the bottle it smells like the wassail my dad used to make at Christmas time...love that! Then wet on the skin it's all apple cider! Bitter strong and nothing else! I got a little nervous BUT when the dry down came about 10 minutes later it was delicious butterscotch!! Yummy! Love this part!! There may be a hint of the orange too. Delicious! :yum:

Also it had pretty good throw and lasted about 3-4 hours.

Wet: this is fizzy orange and lemon drink! Very sweet, and delicious. On the drydown, the citrus notes melt down a bit, and I get more sugary goodness, but I don't smell anything like butterscotch. I don't find this spicy, at all, until it dries. Then it smells like hot apple cider lingering in the background, a bit more faint.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet. It's been my go-to October scent the past few years. It's delicious and makes me happy. On me it's spicy apple with a hint of citrus; I don't get much booze. I have the 2011 and 2014 versions: the 2014 goes on darker and spicier than the 2011, but they end up pretty much the same on the dry down.

The cinnamon is the kind that burns (especially when applied right out of the shower), so I often just put it in my hair.

2011 decant:

Fresh apple juice with fragrant dried orange in the bottle. Goes on as as apple juice warmed with an orange slice. The spices come in and continue to deepen towards cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Really lovely, and great execution. Sadly it's gone in an hour or so. Didn't irritate my skin like Inferno did, so there's that.

Not sure which year my decant is from. Lots of spices and apple cider, I keep thinking there may be hay in here but it's not in the notes. Gets more boozy as it dries down along with more orange. It doesn't last terribly long, it's been close to an hour and now all I'm getting is a faint mix of spices, mostly cinnamon. 

Definitely will not upgrade, but I wish this had better staying power. It's pretty good if you can get past the wear time!

Apple, orange, cinnamon mulled cider. Sweet and tart, very much fits the name. Wearing Fearful Pleasure on the other arm - whereas this is all cider, Fearful Pleasure is more like drinking that cider in an orchard, with light woodsmoke drifting nearby. 

2011 bottle:

This is amazingly boozy! Apple and orange are both equally present, kicking it with a red-hot cinnamon and some other mulling spices. I don't get specifically caramel from this, and it doesn't do the caramel-bomb of sweetness that usually happens on my skin, so I'm guessing the liquor is nicely taming the butterscotch. It's a mulled booze, so it's buzzy and spicy rather than a strong burn. I mean, it's strong, but pleasantly so. 

Compared with other ciders in the BPAL universe, Autumn Cider has a bright red smell to me. It's punchy, in every sense of the word. You get the fruits, and you get tons of cinnamon along with a nice dash of the other spices. The sweetness of brown sugar and butterscotch is very tempered by all the whiz-bang spice and the high pitch of the fermented fruits. This is exactly what it says on the tin, and if you enjoy, say, a cinnamon broom, there is everything to love about Autumn Cider. Those who don't enjoy apple or cinnamon should stay far away, but you probably already know that :P

I would wear this while: watching the Hallmark channel Fall lineup