Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fermented apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, lemon zest, butterscotch liquor, and orange slices.

This is the Weenie I was most excited about going into it... I had hoped it would be really close to Fearful Pleasure, which has become one of my favorites over the years.

However-- this is a totally totally different scent to me. In the imp, it smells really lovely. Like boozy mulled cider with orange slices in it. Almost exactly as described in the scent notes. Gorgeous, sweet but not too sweet, spicy but not too spicy, boozy but not too boozy... you get the idea. The apple is definitely apple cider and it's just so juicy and enticing.

On my skin, I get this scent for about thirty seconds and then BAM! CINNAMON SNEAK ATTACK! Suddenly this is all cinnamon all the time. And not yummy cinnamon either... the kind of cinnamon you get in cheap potpurri. (Know what I mean?) After about an hour, the cinnamon mellows and I get some of the other notes back, but it's never as great as it started and I'm not sure the hour of smelling like cinnamon air freshner is worth it for skin wear.

On the other hand, I'm totally, totally certain this is my skin causing the problem, because I put some in my hair this morning and the scent remained true for hours and never became Rampage of the Cinnamon Beast.

Such a lovely scent, but alas, not right for my skin. I'll be keeping mine to dab onto my hair and um, maybe my shirt sleeves or something... it's seriously huffable in that fashion.

Autumn Cider

Yowza!

this is heavy on the 'fermented' note!

it's very dominant on the apple note & cinnamon note - but holy cow is that fermentation strong.

I'm not sure I'll be able to wear this anywhere but outside.

ever ripped open a packet of Kool-Aid and made the mistake of inhaling the superfine particles that go airborne?

ever done that with the cherry, or even the black cherry?

sadly, all i get from this is that super-concentrated airborne concentrate of a cherry Kool-Aid, mixed with a mouthful of bright red cinnamon Red Hots candies, and a sprinkling of some stale apple-cinnamon potpourri dust.

and while it doesn't leave welts on my not-normally-the-least-bit-sensitive skin, it made me ITCH like crazy.

maybe this is the holiday version of Hawaiian Punch?

Another vote for fruit punch - specifically Veryfine Fruit Punch with a few extra spices. I get very little actual apple - it's orange and cinnamon and lemon zest and I'd swear there was a hint of pineapple in the blend too, but apparently not.

I'm not a lover of foodie scents normally, but Autumn Cider is really a standout. Much more complex than Blockbuster (which is the only comparable GC I can think of), it stays true on my skin for 8 hours with apple in the foreground, with citrus, sweetness and spicy middle notes that even out the wear. I'm getting lots of compliments on this one. Must pick up a bottle before the 'weenies leave!

This starts out on me like hot apple cider with a few red hots thrown in. As it dries, the butterscotch oozes through, giving it a carmel apple scent. SO FRICKIN' GOOD!!!

It started off as hot apple cider, and now I get mostly cinnamon, clove, allspice, a hint of citrus (orange, possibly lemon) and some butterscotch.

It's delicious, but it smells faintly to 'fall' themed potpourri. My guess is that the mix of spices makes me think of that.

Autumn Cider smells like a mix of red Hawaiian Punch, creamed corn (yeah, I dunno, really weird), and cinnamon potpourri on my skin. I don't smell any apple, brown sugar, or butterscotch, which is what I was most looking forward to. I catch a whiff of orange every once in a while.

This actually smells sort of gross on me :(

In the imp, this smelled just like Hawaiian Punch. Memories of school lunches came flooding back. :eek:

Once on my skin, it smells like spiced punch, no booze. Owlgoddess pronounced it Yankee Candle-ish. :(

Then the spices amped, and for about half an hour all I could smell was cinnamon, but fortunately I didn't have any kind of reaction, skin-wise.

Now it definitely smells like an autumn spice candle. And I had such high hopes for this.

Apple, orange and lots of brown sugar and spice initially - and this has some throw...like woah; one drop can be smelled from yards away (in fact when I opened the box, I thought, bloody hell the Autumn Cider leaked. But it hadn't, I could just smell it clear through the bottle). Cinnamon dominates the spices, but I can clearly smell allspice and nutmeg, clove is more subtle. As it dries, the butterscotch liquor becomes evident, it gives the scent a nice, full-bodied and well-rounded feel, much more so than I recall from other mulled-apple-ish blends like Samhain or one of the Harvest Moons. This has a slight note of cherry-almond too, but maybe that's a component in the butterscotch together with the cinnamon and allspice? The red-hots cinnamon note becomes much more subtle when it's dry, blending evenly with the allspice, nutmeg and clove. It becomes a rich, butterscotch-y spiced orange-apple scent with a bit of effervescent sparkle, and for someone who doesn't care for fruity scents, I'm surprised I like it as much as I do. But it smells warm and perfect for autumn, and that butterscotch note is definitely delicious.

This is much fruitier than expected! Reminds me quite a lot of 2010 Lamb's Wool (which I love), actually, but heavier on the spices without being candle-y. Some reviews mention a cherry note... I'm thinking it's probably a combination of cinnamon + orange zest---it's definitely not an almond note, or I would be running for the hills! :tongue:

WHOA hello boozy cider. It opened up very boozy and strong. Smells spicy and a bit fruit punchy. Thankfully smelling more ciderish than cherry as that is a NO note for me (bpal's almond smells cherry to me and is thus a note of death). I'm liking it, I'll keep the decant and wear it a the weather turns, but I don't think I'll be needing a bottle as it's not something I'd wear often.

Mmm, spicy apple cider in the vial for sure. It makes me salivate. it's so tart and bubbly. The cinnamon especially stands out the most out of all the spices. On me, it's very much the same. Autumn Cider is really warm and inviting, and it's a fun scent too.

I actually didn't want to say it, but as soon as I opened the vial and took a whiff, it automatically make me think of the Atomic Luau Lounge collection. I think that's why it screams vivacious and carefree to me. Before reading any other reviews, it also reminded me a bit of punch, so between that and the bubbliness, it's total Atomic Luau to me.

Very similar to what I expected, although I would have liked more spice. Smells great on me but still not sure if it's something I'd like to walk around smelling like. Still a great pick-me-up.

imp- apple cider simmering on the stove with cinnamon sticks. and, um, hawaiian punch?

wet- i smell like the company holiday party punch bowl. a little bit of apple and cinnamon start to peek through.

dry- apple and cinnamon finally take over and end up a bit overpowering. i smell like michael's craft store during the holiday's.

BUT!!! i layered this with samhain 2009 and it is AMAZING! the samhain adds kind of a smokey leaf element and the autumn cider keeps it from turning powdery on me. WIN!

Edited by Caper

In bottle: The description is pretty apt. It is an apple scent with the fizzy note I remember from the champagne series. The citrus gives it a pleasant tang. The spices are well blended with the rest of the notes, and the brown sugar and butterscotch liquor are a soft warm rumble in the background. If this were potable, I would so drink it. Wet: Not quite right on my skin. I often misparse fizz, and apparently, I’m amping the brown sugar, which throws the beautiful design out of balance. Then the cinnamon starts amping like wow, just as the brown sugar starts breaking down a little, and the apple starts to get lost under the cinnamon’s assault. I’m glad I got to smell it, but I’m just as glad I don’t own a bottle, as my skin chemistry turns the sense of the scent into nonsense. Heartbreaking as it is a very lovely design in the bottle. Dry: It comes out the other end absolutely lovely and better than in the bottle. With wear, the apple and brown sugar twine around eachother, all cosy and beautiful. The tart of the zest and the warmth of the orange still provide depth and zing on the way out. The spices, rearrange back into a more balanced blend, and the butterscotch liquor does the magic many hard liquors do with my skin. The fizz burns away entirely. The result is all warm and cozy. I’d be in love if it smelled tlike the dry down the whole time, but my skin chemistry makes that impossible.

This does not smell like traditional Apple Cider at *all* to me. I'm another big fan of Fearful Pleasure and was hoping this scent would be similar. Autumn Cider is nice, but it's more like Cran-Apple juice, lemon juice, a dribble of cherry juice, and a BLAST of cinnamon red hots. My skin tingled where I put the oil. I can see where people are getting the Hawaiian Punch smell--this scent doesn't make me think of Autumn; instead, I think of a Valentine's Day party, where every kid has a cup of fruity red juice and a bag of heart-shaped red hots. Not a BAD scent, but totally not what I was expecting! I'll edit if this smells different after a few days of settling. :)

ETA: Eek- my friend tried some of this on just now because she loved the scent in the bottle (she says it's a mixture of Hawaiian Punch and Red Hots), and a few minutes later her skin BURNED and she got huge red welts up and down her arms! I feel so bad for her. So--I don't recommend this if you have sensitive skin.

Edited by paperbacknovel

Initially, a blast of boozy apple, then a waft of cinnamon, and then the brown sugar takes over and that's all I smell.

Edited by Jammies

Origin: Decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I love the smell of apple cider. Here's hoping that this works for me.

In the vial: Pow! That's a lot of boozy elements and orange in there! There's a bit of spice as well.

Wet: Still quite a bit of orange, but the cinnamon and spices come out fully to tamp it down a bit.

Drydown: Okay, this is supposed to be apple cider, right? Because all I'm getting is orange cider. The cinnamon is beautiful, it's not overly boozy, but it's so very orange when I was expecting apple.

Verdict: Hmm...ultimately I'm not sure it's bottle-worthy, but I might use up the decant.

OOOOOH I LIKE THIS ONE :)

I find it to be a fresh, fun, energetic fall scent which is totally not cloying or smokey or resiny or too sweet. but without a doubt it is definitely a fall scent, I would say fall so far as to the brink of snow.

In the bottle: Fruit punch with a heavy spiced apple base. Kinda unexpected and not all that fall-ish unless perhaps you were at a party with tons of fruitpunch made with a hint of spices.

On me after a few moments: The booze doesn't come out too much for me at all, but the orange slices and lemon zest seem candied (the brown sugar mayhaps,) taking away any REAL ideas of citrus that may have existed. I love that the clove and nutmeg don't come out too strongly, and the cinnamon even stays in check (perhaps by the presence of the other spices). Despite it's warmth and heat, I love how fresh it remains due to the apple and booze note, which doesn't dissapate, or become powdery. For me, this is as true to a hot apple cider as there ever will be for me.

Oh i SO hope they come out with this again for next halloween, I would LOVE a bottle!

Wet: Autumn Cider is, well, apple cider. This goes on like an extremely sweet cider - definitely sweeter-smelling than the ones I drink.

Five minutes: The apple has already receded to the background, as apple tends to do on my skin, and the spices have taken over. It smells a little like potpourri right now. I'm hoping that changes.

Drydown: This blend is incredibly cinnamon-heavy at this point, with hints of other spices. What it really smells like are the scented pine cones they sell in grocery stores at this time of year. I like the smell, but it would definitely be a better room smell than a perfume smell, IMO.

At first sniff I thought it smelled just like Lambs Wool- so I put Autumn Cider on one wrist and Lambs Wool on the other. Man oh man I love this stuff!! I loved Lambs Wool but this is BETTER! It has a lot of orange, and it is fizzy to my nose, and a lot of cinnamon. I just adore it and I am glad I got a bottle- the label is too cute as well :)

ETA- I would love to smell a version of this one with out the spices, it is so fruity!!

Edited by Alshneato

Well, this is just delicious. I am predisposed to like any appley scent BPAL does (Verdandi is a standby for me), but this is super-true appley scent with a lovely punch of autumn spices, to boot. It's mostly apple juice + cinnamon + a bit of butterscotch, but the cinnamon slowly blooms over time, lending an extra punch of spice to the blend. I don't get any citrus, which is fine--it's a nice spicy apple for me, in the end.

In the imp: A sweet, spicy apple and an almost buttery warmth. Smells good enough to drink. :yum:

Wet: Mmm, boozy and spicy - I get lots of cinnamon, and the orange slices are clearly present as well. A bit strong on the spiciness for me at this point, but I'm assuming this will tame down with the drydown.

Dry: Pleasant enough, but it's gone full Christmas-spice-candle on my skin. Not for me. :(

In the imp: smells so much like spiced cider that I'm tempted to taste it!

wet: apple and cinnamon are predominant, but I can still smell the other spices

dry: unfortunately, I seem to amp the cinnamon and it ends up smelling like a holiday candle on me. So sad, I really wanted this to work, as I love apple cider! :cry2:

In the bottle, this smells absolutely divine, all fruity spicy spiked deliciousness. I adore cider, and cider scents, and the description of this one sounds like the version I make, but with the addition of Butterscotch liquor, which I am totally gonna have to try this year. So what could go wrong?

Skin chemistry, that's what. <_<

When I first put this on, the spices amp like whoah, and I smell like a dusty spice rack for a half hour. This is not surprising, since my super-power is to amp spice notes, so I patiently wait for the drydown.

And there it comes, lovely apple cider, blended with tangy citrus, and even the cinnamon backs down a bit. Unfortunately, the butterscotch comes out at the same time. I'm usually all about the sweet scents, but for some reason this note is making me a bit queasy. And continues to do so. Alas.

Fortunately for me, I have plenty of Sparkling Apple Cider and Fearful Pleasure to fill my cidery scent needs.