Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
TheFrenchWaffle

Auditions, what to wear?

I do apologize if this exists elsewhere, feel free to re-direct it where it should be.

There have been posts about job interviews, but what about auditions? As a theater student I naturally audition for the various shows around. I was just wondering if anyone else wears a scent for auditions and how do you decide. So far I have been reaching for Bastet or Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo because a.) they smell nice (in a light and not over-powering way) and b.) they ground me somewhat. How and what do you choose/decide?

Edited by TheFrenchWaffle

Hm, I would use the same rule as I would for a job interview, to avoid wearing anything too strong, that has too much throw. You never know who might have an allergy or sensitivity. But a light scent that makes you feel happy and confident - that couldn't hurt right? *disclaimer* I am by no means a professional actor, just a once-and-future theatre student.

I feel the same as StinkyPinky. I'm a singer, and even for my weekly lessons, I try to keep things to a minimum for my teacher in case she has any sensitivities. I'm going to ask her eventually if she cares, but for an audition I say keep it safe.

Another singer here who auditions on a semi-regular basis. I do have certain scents (Gennivre and Theodosius) that I'll wear to make me feel confident and double for day-job interviews. I'll only use a tiny, tiny bit so that they don't impinge on anyone's personal space and I'll either put it on my temples or a wee dab on a wrist so I can huff it surreptitiously :lol: My scent choices tend to depend on what role I'm going for and/or what monologue/aria I'm trotting out. Gennivre's my light sweet scent (maybe partly because she's an artist herself), Theodosius is for less of the ingenue and more of a mature character, and Madame Moriarty's for a particularly vampy role ;) I'd love to go with Snake Oil or Shub or some other total sexpot oils but I don't think I'd risk the possibility of them getting too strong if I got super nervous and my body temperature spiked, y'know? Good luck with all the auditioning!

ETA: Love your avatar!!!

Edited by rayvn1

I wear something that's going to make me feel like I own the world, especially if I know I'm going to be standing far from my auditioners - as in onstage - and not interacting closely enough for them to smell me. If it's a vocal audition I'm going to wear something comforting and grounding that is barely-there, because it needs to not interfere with my breathing, either.

I've found most BPAL scents aren't really strong enough to be offensive if you use them in small enough amounts - they don't have the insane throw of alcohol-based perfumes, because they're an oil and by nature sit closer to the skin, so I tend to go with what makes me feel either super-confident or super-calm.

Bringing this back from the dead because I have fall quarter auditions coming up! I'm going out for three very different productions and I want to see if I can find something that would be suitable for all three.

I've got:

As You Like It

Hedda Gabler

Grey Gardens

A comedy, a tragedy and a musical. I couldn't be more across the board if I tried!

Any ideas? ;)

Auditions are fun! Break legs!

For the As you Like it audition maybe go with something light and more traditional like maybe Desdemona, Pink Snow Balls, Two Five Seven, Alice or something like that. For musicals I like to wear VERY light perfume if any because you never know if they will have you learn a dance combo right then and there. I would stick to fresh perfumes like Shanghai. Lastly for the drama I would suggest something that makes you feel grounded and confident. I usually reach for Bastet when I need a jolt of confidence. Or if it's really warm out I like Green Tree Viper. :) this was fun. Hope it helps somewhat!

Lately I've been wearing TAL Charisma to auditions. It gives me that little extra boost of positive thinking that I need to get through it without nerves.

Bringing this back from the dead because I have fall quarter auditions coming up! I'm going out for three very different productions and I want to see if I can find something that would be suitable for all three.

I've got:

As You Like It

Hedda Gabler

Grey Gardens

A comedy, a tragedy and a musical. I couldn't be more across the board if I tried!

Any ideas? ;)

I am so jealous of your season, what a fantastic spread! When I was auditioning I went light on scents (just in case anyone was sensitive/allergic) For As You Like it, I would definitely go with something floral like Helena (for female roles) or woodsy like Dee or Black Forest (male roles). Hedda Gabler is perhaps one of my favorite dramas of all time. For auditioning for Hedda I would go for something more complex/multi-layered like Tamora or La Belle Dame Sans Merci (for females, more specifically Hedda herself) or for the male characters something like Wilde or Dorian. Grey Gardens is an interesting show with very interesting characters, just for the pun of it I would suggest The Madwoman (previous seasonal) or, more seriously, something more fitting for the setting of the show: The Hamptons.

Edited by TheFrenchWaffle

Auditions are fun! Break legs!

For the As you Like it audition maybe go with something light and more traditional like maybe Desdemona, Pink Snow Balls, Two Five Seven, Alice or something like that. For musicals I like to wear VERY light perfume if any because you never know if they will have you learn a dance combo right then and there. I would stick to fresh perfumes like Shanghai. Lastly for the drama I would suggest something that makes you feel grounded and confident. I usually reach for Bastet when I need a jolt of confidence. Or if it's really warm out I like Green Tree Viper. :) this was fun. Hope it helps somewhat!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely give Two, Five and Seven a shot (it's the only one of those that I have on hand), but just a touch!

I've got:

As You Like It

Hedda Gabler

Grey Gardens

Any ideas? ;)

I am so jealous of your season, what a fantastic spread! When I was auditioning I went light on scents (just in case anyone was sensitive/allergic) For As You Like it, I would definitely go with something floral like Helena (for female roles) or woodsy like Dee or Black Forest (male roles). Hedda Gabler is perhaps one of my favorite dramas of all time. For auditioning for Hedda I would go for something more complex/multi-layered like Tamora or La Belle Dame Sans Merci (for females, more specifically Hedda herself) or for the male characters something like Wilde or Dorian. Grey Gardens is an interesting show with very interesting characters, just for the pun of it I would suggest The Madwoman (previous seasonal) or, more seriously, something more fitting for the setting of the show: The Hamptons.

Thanks! I'm thrilled about the season too, I love As You Like it and Hedda and I'll definitely take those suggestions into account!

Sign in to follow this