Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Melian

Please recommend powdery blends

I know a lot of you don't like powdery scents but I love them, the more powdery the better. I've been away from BPAL for awhile, but I remember Whoso List to Hunt was nice and powdery. Can you suggest some more for me to try?

Black musk and amber are two things that seem to go powdery on lots of folks. My favorites would be Black Temple Burlesque Troupe for a sophisticated, powdery + cacao blend, and Lilith Victoria, which is more of a feminine baby powder scent on me.

Haunted -- black musk AND amber (AND swoon worthy!)

Black Opal can feel powdery as well

Spellbound might be worth checking out if you like roses, because of the musk and amber. I've only tried it once, but I did notice a powdery aspect, although I've also heard it described as incense-like.

Velvet is, as the name suggests, a very "soft" scent, although there's no musk or amber. Maybe it's the myrrh being softened by the vanilla and sandalwood? Anyway, it might be worth checking out if you like incense and sweets.

My favorite powdery scent is Diabolical Offspring, from the horror movie tropes line that the Lab did for Dark Delicacies. It's still available at the store or via mail from their website (http://www.darkdel.com/index.htm?bpal.htm&1). It's desciribed as "baby sweetness and a touch of brimstone," but I don't get any brimstone whatsoever. Just a sweet skin-musky scent that's reminiscent of baby powder, but much more complex.

I too find O to go a bit powdery at the end, which I like.

And I don't know if it is just me, but Lilith vs. the Giant Crab tends to go powdery on me near the very end. It has to go through two hours of oceany orange juice first though.

I know a lot of you don't like powdery scents but I love them, the more powdery the better. I've been away from BPAL for awhile, but I remember Whoso List to Hunt was nice and powdery. Can you suggest some more for me to try?

One of the things to remember about the 'powdery' affect is that it is aften caused by personal skin chemistry. For instance, anything with honey or black musk, and most things with sugar notes go powdery on me. But that doesn't mean they are powdery scents, just that my skin reacts weirdly with them.

Ooh another powder lover!!!

I think it's the amber that does it to me, it's fabulous.

That said my favorites are Crib Girls, and Spellbound.

Black Pearl is powdery to me, and Blood Pearl also, if I remember correctly.

I got a baby powder comment when I wore Snake Oil, once or twice.

Nyarlathotep turns very powdery on me, after drying for a while. At first I didn't like this but I kept wearing it and grew to love it. In fact, it may have been Nyarlathotep that made me realize I like some powdery scents.

Discontinued but Silk Road also turns powdery on me when it dries down.

I keep saying "to me" because, like someone else mentioned, this could be a skin chemistry thing, or maybe it's a matter of our perception of 'powdery'. I remember someone commenting that patchouli turns powdery on them, and I was like....huh? :think: But if they are perceiving it that way, I can't argue with that.

I'm testing Hermia today (pink pepper, golden amber, honeysuckle and passion flower). It seems like a powdery Hungry Ghost Moon. Which is weird, because they don't seem to share any notes. It's really pretty and almost fruity.

I like powder too. I find the Possets blends consistently go powdery on me.

eta: I'm trying Haunted today, too. Sweet lemon smoke, drying to a soft almost baby powder.

Edited by Circaea

I love powdery blends too and I have found that The Butterfly and Juke Joint both are powdery on my skin.

Whoso List to Hunt is like someone doused me in rosy powder all over.

Marie is another one that turns to powder on my skin.

In fact, I've determined that certain types of rose, tuberose and white sandalwood = TEH POWDER OF DOOM on me so I tend to stay away from those

I will be watching this thread like a hawk as I dislike stuff going to powder on me when it should feel fresh and vibrant.

Thankfully I must say that Black Opal doesn't go powder - so it's definitely a skin chemistry thing.

Powdery=the moon gazed upon my moonlit labours. It was an LE from this past Yule 2011 update. Gorgeous powdery goodness.

I also recommend Old Demons of the First Class (GC) The pepper is mild and the orris root and musk make it powdery on me as well. It's one of my favorites.

Edited by Dark Alice

Stinky and Gelt are my go-to powdery blends. Gelt may be a little easier to find, as it was released multiple years...

Stinky is freshly-washed skin, milk, honey, and baby powder, and it goes straight to milky powder on my skin. It's very pretty-smelling without being offensive or floral in the slightest. Gelt is powdered cocoa and golden amber, and amber goes straight to powder on me anyway. It's a little deeper and slightly more festive.

I would suggest:

The gladdener of all hearts (baby powder, milk and honey are actually notes in this blend!)

Antique lace (if you can get your hands on some!) if very sofft, creamy, and smells a little bit like a feminine sort of powder.

Blossoms in Springtime also had a similar effect as AL, but with a tad more floral blended in.

Liaison (Moroccan black musk, white tea leaf, Indonesian black sandalwood, frankincense, honeycomb, jonquil, and clove) just came down (it was one of the Lupercalias), but that's definitely one that went instantaneously to powder on my skin -- and I notice several other reviewers said the same thing.

A few others I took notes on when I tested them:

Brisingamen -- "very powdery amber"

Tamora -- "powdery and sweet"

The Little Wooden Doll -- "rose-infused sawdust plus powdery amber"

Also, Delousing Powder!

I'll agree that powder depends on your skin chemistry; amber and sandalwood in certain forms do fine on me, while others powder up really badly. (I can't stand it! icon_wink.gif ) I remember Death Embracing a Young Maiden from the Weenie's this year went really super OMG powdery on me; otherwise my obvious recommendation would be The Gladdener of All Hearts, because it's *meant* to be baby-powder-y.

Sign in to follow this