Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

El Nuevo Puritano

EL NUEVO PURITANO
The wicked wrath of moral panic: unmoving, rigid oak, dry leather, tonka, gunpowder tea, and pious olibanum with a core of perverse and furtive vanilla bean, bay leaf, clove bud, and lime.

On my skin wet, this is a lightly spicy wood scent with traces of clove and lime. As it begins to dry, the leather note emerges and it eventually fully dries on my skin to a mild spicy wood and leather fragrance on me. Nice, but I'm not sure I would wear it enough to justify keeping the bottle.

This one is lighter than I thought it would be. It's a softer leather. I do not get any of the darker notes listed. I don't get any lime either. Dusty leather, wood and vanilla.

Very wearable

The leather on this is quite light. I detest the Labs leather note and so far I really don't smell any. Lime I smell. Wood & light spices too. Smells kind of cologne like. This would prob smell really good on a man. Not bad, but just not for me.

ya know what this reminds me of, Picarron- from Haus of Gloi. The wood & lime smell. Took me a minute to think of what it is.

I smell the lime, clove, and wood right away when this is applied to my skin. I was half expecting this to smell somewhat dark like Black Death, but this is a surprisingly light scent. I start smelling the leather a few minutes later. On the drydown, this blend is a gorgous vanilla tea lime leather scent. This is pretty subtle and unassuming. It might even be a great scent to wear to work at a place that doesn't allow perfume. It has almost no throw on my skin, but it's definitely worth raising my wrist to sniff. I kind of expected a scent like El Nuevo Puritano to be more in your face and aggressive, but this is more like your average Puritan going about his daily routine than a Puritan on the pulpit stirring up the masses on me. That being said, I like it - but I have blends I like better in all the categories I put this one in, so I'm iffy about buying a bottle.

Edited by calivianya

I find this a really nice, soft, well-blended and complex scent. I get dusty, almost resiny leather, soft clove, wood, and a bit of sweet, almost creamy lime, which is noticeable but subdued, more like a light sweet citrus and barely-there vanilla. I find it surprisingly light. As it dries, the olibanum gets very dry, dusty and slightly spicy/peppery on my skin (I usually amp it) and the gunpowder has a softly smokey, almost grittiness which amps on me with time. This reminds me slightly of the background dusty citrus and olibanum scent I get from Sibyl. The strong dustiness I get from this makes me not love it, but I do like the overall scent.

In bottle: Really unusual. Extremely complex, and difficult to parse at first sniff. I’d say oak, olibanum, bay, vanilla, and lime are most noticeable, but all elements are present, and nothing is particularly dominant. The elements play together beautifully in the bottle, particularly the smokey tea and the leather. The clove/bay combination was nothing I’d have imagined, but form an interesting effect. There is something pleasantly old fashioned about this, like my Uncle John’s childhood room, long abandoned in my Grandparent’s house and preserved as a sort of shrine to my grand father’s aspirations. Wet: The leather, lime, tea, and bay strengthen on the skin, changing the balance without losing complexity. It is the masculine side of androgynous without losing delicacy or that pleasing old fashioned feel. As it warms, the clove comes out to play. This is a poem with each minute of change a new line. Oak and leather and lime taking new partners in the dance as various things come to the fore. This is lovely and strange, and impossible to explain. One minute it’s tea and lime, the next olibanum and smoke. I’m am completely charmed, but unable to say exactly why. Dry: Mmmmm… Old oak chest, with the ghost of all the other elemen6ts. A wonderful, complex, and irreplaceable addition to my collection.

This is a soft, nice woodsy, bay and vanilla blend. On wet, I get the overlays of lime over it which actually make me think of bergamot being present. I get whiffs of clove on wet.

Overally, it's a slightly masculine, very well blended scent. It's a scent that stays close to the skin on drydown.

I think I would really enjoy a lotion made out of this.

Wet, I find that the oak, leather, and lime are the strongest notes. The oak scent is fresh like recently cut wood.

As it dries the tea becomes much more distinct. It's a strong tea and combined with the citrus it slightly suggests Earl Grey to my nose. Earl Grey combined with dry, spicy wood and very soft smooth leather. I'm finding this really sexy; it would make a great scent for a Dom, or a Domme, even.

There's not a lot of sweetness to this but it's not so masculine that I'd feel odd wearing it. It makes me think of being in the library of an English manor house with slate-gray threatening skies outside.

Final drydown is predominantly smooth dry wood, light delicious spices and astringent tea. I love it!

I've been puzzling over this one all morning. It's not what I expected, but not in a bad way.

First applied, it's a strange smack in the face. I really can't place the notes. It's just a busy busy scent zipping everywhere. There's powder and spice and citrus and man cologne and something... floral? Almost lily smelling? Oh, it's weird. Really weird. Kinda what I was expecting...

Within 5 or 10 minutes, it mellows immense and settles into tonka and gentle (?) gunpowder. Almost nothing else. No spice, no citrus, nothing sharp. It's actually a really warm, soft scent on me. Not masculine. It makes me want to hug something.

In tester: lime, and is that a hint of clove? That makes me worried. There are definitely spicy woods here. Also relatively creamy, with the tonka and vanilla relatively seamless and only a hint.

Wet on skin: lime, woods and leather. There is a pleasant sort of powderiness that has come up, and where it's possibly coming from, I have no idea. I'm getting a bit of that tea as well. Not so bad! I was expecting the clove to amp and chase everything away, but right now I can't get any clove.

Dry: maybe clove bud is not so bad for me--this isn't too bad with the clove, although there is a hint of it, of course, which gives this blend a soft kind of spiciness. Lime, leather, and oak, and pleasantly powdery, giving it a--dare I say it?--deceptively soft feel.

Verdict: pretty nice! This blend is closer to what I'd wear than La Mano del Destino, but still not something that I'd go out of my way for-- so, pass.

El Nuevo Puritano is a lot lighter and not as dark as I was expecting. The oak goes slightly powdery on me, with the spicy, manly bay and a hint of sweet lime playing out over the dry woods. I like it initially, and like it less after about fifteen minutes. As it dries down, the sweet citrus disappears and the blend is a bit smokier, but mostly it's a dry, powdery wood smell on my skin, with more of a dusty clove smell over time. I don't get any of the leather, which is usually pretty strong on my skin. It's okay, but not something I need a full bottle of.

As others have mentioned, this is not the dark/deep scent I was kind of expecting from the mention of 'wicked wrath' and the oak, gunpowder and leather notes - it has a rather light quality to it. It's quite subtle and subdued, but nicely complex in a simple kind of way.

When I first put El Nuevo on, it was a bit noisy - the woods, spices and lime seemed to have trouble finding a way to get along. But after about 30 minutes, things have settled down and the leather has come out - it's soft and dusty, not at all a strong kind of leather. The lime is slightly sweet and waxy/creamy - it's not overtly citrus toned or foody in any way. Overall, El Nuevo kind of reminds me of Mr. Nancy.. if he were to lose some of the pepper and tone himself down a few notches. I'm not really picking up much of the vanilla bean, which is a bit disappointing - it is there, but it's waaaaaay down at the base of the fragrance. I find that it stays pretty close to my skin, without a lot of throw, and it fades almost completely within 2 hours.

I really like this, but I'm not sure I will end up wearing it.. it's really very nice, but it doesn't knock my socks off. It is beautifully blended though, and the leather + woods + lime combination is very enjoyable.

In the Imp: Very bright and happy smelling, with the lime most notable and oak lingering behind it.

Wet: There's a lot going on here. I can pick up most of the notes with creamy tonka, strong bay, spicy clove, and lime being most prominent. Not really sure what this is going to do.

Dry: IT'S GOING TO TURN INTO PLASTIC. Holy fudge, terrible! I've heard some people complaining of one note or another turning to plastic on them, but this combination overall is the straight out of the factory, chemical laden real deal on me! What on earth is my chemistry doing!?

Overall: I had to wash this off, it was horrendous. Obviously this is something to do with my chemistry rather than the scent itself, as others are getting lovely combinations of the above notes (and from the imp it smelled just fine), so... that sucks. This is going in the swap/sale pile for someone that will actually be able to wear it. Not sure what caused the negative reaction on me, but if I had to guess the bay probably amped like no one's business.

This one was a surprise. Lime notes can be iffy on me but the rest of the notes sounded awesome, especially the gunpowder. In-bottle, I get woodsy leather and lime. Wet it's woods and gunpowder. Starting off with a bang, so to speak. No soapy lime, yay! As it warms, I get woodsy leather with a hint of vanilla and gunpowder. I think I may need a bottle of this, or at least a partial! :wub2:

Ugh, vanilla strikes again. On me, somehow vanilla has the power to turn anything into cheap drugstore body spray, so it ended up smelling like a middle school girls bathroom. Really a bummer since I like the other notes.

Quite woody and spicy when wet (from this and Lawful I've learned how much I love BPAL's 'rigid oak' note!).

This gets smoky and sweet on me when it's dry -- I don't sense the sourness that some others noted, but spiced vanilla, sprinkled over the smoking remains of that oak tree.