Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
reconditarmonia

Lesbian/bi themed scents!

BPAL's got a lot of romantic or sexy scents, but a lot of them are about straight people and situations. Which scents are more lesbian or bi-themed?

I know about Sapphics, but I think that poem's from the "Sappho was totally straight and was in love with Phaon" tradition ("her chosen, fairer than all men"), and there's Wilde, but that's a guy. What am I missing? Not nonspecific ones like, say, Carnal or Debauchery, but specifically lesbian/bi women?

Mircalla, Countess Karnstein is from an extremely lesboerotic 19th vampire story by, I believe, Sheridan Le Fanu.

But yeah.... One of the little disappointments I have had so far with BPAL is with the lack of lesbian scents. It would be totally awesome to have a series based on historical lesbians or Sarah Waters characters :wub2:

I just did a swap for Q7 from TAL. The description is : A powerful attractant used by homosexual women to help them find love, ignite passion, and enhance their charisma.

I'm excited to see how it works ;)

I don't know of anything from the Lab though :( I'm going to track this thread. Hopefully someone will rec a good one!

Oooooh, now that I think about it, I'd love to see a few more lesbian-inspired or bi-inspired scents, especially bi ones! Hmm. There's a whole series of something.goths floating around; could there possibly be a somethingorother.girl series turning feminine and non-straight stereotypes on their heads in a similar fashion? Hmmm... :)

Helas: good call! I consciously remembered that there wasn't one named for Carmilla in that series, but I kind of forgot that plot detail. :D

And yes Anactoria and The Arbor! Should have thought to look for actual Sappho poems...

You know...there are those who believe Anne Bonny and Mary Read were lovers. I'm not sure how anyone could ever say for sure that they were or weren't, but they were close associates and, fwiw, it appears that they did share a man. Which is nice for the bi-and-poly crowd; throw in Calico Jack and you've got the whole triad! :lol: (You could even make a case for Mary as trans; the tendency is to interpret historical female cross-dressers as doing so for purely utilitarian purposes, but what the heck do we know? Modern trans identity has a particular cultural context; similar people with similar feelings in the past would have handled those feelings with the resources that worked in their own time and place.

Uh...Queer studies scholar stepping off; why am I typing this instead of the paper I'm supposed to be writing??)

Oh my goodness, there's an Anactoria scent? I MUST HAVE IT. There's one particular translation of that poem that I can almost recite by heart. Some there are who say that the fairest thing seen...

It looks like it smells yummy, too. Curses! Me and my LE-from-2008 lemmings!

this might be kind of a random idea, but I've never had any sexual orientation associated with Vampires, whether they are male or female...I just sort of associate them with being SEXUAL...so on that idea...I would think any of the vamp-ish scents could feasibly fit the bill...I've seen plenty of vamp movies where women vampires are having sexual encounters with men and women alike...the same with male vampires.

Just a thought!

From the Vampires don't sleep alone section:

Tombeur

Transeo

VILF

I would also think from Sin & Salvation:

Lust (this doesn't have to mean between a man and woman..everyone lusts!)

Ars Amatoria:

Lucy's kiss

O

Perversion

From the New Shungas collection:

Playful Wooden Mallets

(i'm sure they are more in here!)

Edited by sharkdiver

Countess Dolingen of Gratz which inspired the movie Dracula's Daughter, where the main countess character feeds on women and only women and even though it is an old movie, she seduces one woman into taking off her clothes so she can draw her, but then mesmerizes her with her ring...but it is all sort of clothed in lesbianism. Or if not that, bisexuality. I associate the perfume with the book's character to the one in the movie and I love Dracula's Daughter.

I would also say Penny Dreadful, but probably in a sense like Camilla, that the gay or lesbian characters were used for a morality lesson.

Blood Countess too, because there are theories Bathory did what she did, due to sadism, maybe linked to bisexuality.

Les Fleurs du mal because the book has a lot of lesbian themes in it. There are other BPAL based on poems from it that might also contain lesbianism.

Queen to attract women and this is made for women to use.

Maybe Weisse Maus or any BPAL to do with Berlin and its bisexual and gender bending cabarets.

I think the main problem here is that BPAL started as a sort of Victorian Gothic company, so its perfumes reflect that "sinful" sort of lesbianism, like it is forbidden.

Viola from Shakespeare's 12th Night, Olivia falls in love with her, seemingly by mistake.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a lesbian or bisexual perfume in the Neil Gaiman area of the perfume (maybe in the future?).

Oh, there's nothing clothed or subtle about the coding of female vampirism = lesbianism. That's a well-established subtext (or text).