Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Zeljana

Best of 2010/2011?

Greetings to the wonderful bpal community!

Due to some personal reasons, I was not able to follow whatever was going on with the lab over the last 18 months or so. I know many things have changed, some faves have been discontinued etc. However, it would be more than helpful if you could fill me in with must try oils that are still available that were launched in 2010./2011. no matter the scent family. :)

Thanks in advance!

Red Lantern is my new favourite.

Lupercalia: 2011 A tribute to the opium den cum bawdyhouses of Shanghai in the 1930's. Golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice.

There was also a re-release of Spanked and Smut.

If you go to the "Shiny & New" section on the black phoenix alchemy site, you can read all of the updates you've missed (or read them here in the forum announcements).

Some of my personal favorites and things that are rather popular & new-ish:

*Atlas (currently available LE - and the whole moths & butterflies update is lovely) - "Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus."

*Rogue (new RPG series) - "Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin."

*The Last Unicorn series (my favorites being Molly Grue, The Harpy Celaeno, and Captain Cully)

*WILF (forum only scent that's still available right now) - "Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark."

Tombeur from the still available Vampires Don't Sleep Alone series is really, really good if you like smoky, sultry, Snake-Oily vanilla blends. It feels like a more complex Snake Pit scent to me.

Mage (also from the RPG series) is pretty amazing, though I may be biased since I always play a mage in games, heh.

Some of my favorite new releases (I went about 18 months back) were...

- Half-Elf, Ranger, and Paladin from the RPG line. I really love some of the others as well, but these are my favorites!

- Celeste was a BPTP release, but I still think it counts! AMAZING stuff.

- Metal Rabbit is thought to be similar to the other new year releases, but I haven't tried the others and this is probably one of my favorite fruity fragrances.

- The Soldier came out with the Yules and my oh my it is really nice! It is borderline foody and strangely reminds me of Crowley. YUM.

- Old Demons of the First Class is a GC that came out with some other Marchen scents in July 2010. I really like it, kind of dry and musky with a bit of a neroli bite.

- Since you said 2010, I'll also mention that the Neverwhere line came out and Door and Hunter and two of my favorite blends from it. Door is yummy sticky honey with chamomile and Hunter is the perfect leather and sage combination.

- Then of course Paduan Killer Swarm and Panther Moon. Both so so so good. PKS is a coconut esque blend that actually works on me!

- Ehecatl is GC and is mainly lime and hibiscus, came out in April of 2010 along with Pyramus which is part of the BPTP Lovers and is a wonderful sandalwood, lavender, dragons blood type scent.

BUT if you do count the rereleases I will also include Lambs-Wool 2010, Lotus Moon 2010, Worm Moon 2011, Womb Furie 2011, and Smut 2011.

Tombeur from the still available Vampires Don't Sleep Alone series is really, really good if you like smoky, sultry, Snake-Oily vanilla blends. It feels like a more complex Snake Pit scent to me.

Here here for Tombeur! :thumbsup: I got into BPAL last October and was EXTREMELY lucky to find my signature scent/HG right away in Tombeur. If you like your vanillas dark and dangerous vs soft and foody then Tombeur is a must-buy, or at the very least a must-try. I've hoarded many bottles and am loathe to let any go--I sold one due to financial issues and even that was tough.

I tried branching into other Snake Oil scents but the Snake Pit didn't sweep me off my feet like Tombeur did. There was always one thing off about each one I tried, whereas Tombeur (to me) is liquid perfection. :yum:

This year's 13 scent (May) is absolutely stunning.

Also my vote goes to Moon of Horses.

Tombeur and Sanctus from the Vampires Don't Sleep Alone release,

as well as the (now defunct but I think still fits into the "last 18 months" category - Atomic Luau: Red Tide, Golden Wave, Blue Fire - all very yummy boozy fruity blends

Last year's August moon: Joyful Moon is to DIE for if you like vanilla

This year's Weeping Branches Moon is a gorgeous "asiatic" feel scent, with cherry blossom, a not-too-sweet strawberry note that doesn't go candyish or plasticky, and bamboo

Last year, Mabon and Wildfire were re-released as "harvest" scents.. both gorgeous although I think I prefer Mabon.

This year's luper super mentionable for me is Nymphia.

And the relief for Japan scents, all of them, I like v. much.

Also, the forum only scents, Anne Beany and Lilith's Tea Party are, while LTP doesn't work on me the label is SUPER CUTE and my son loves it :D

Oh, and Tiki Princess.. beautiful coconut floral.

I will stop now, otherwise I will end up just stating every single scent that the lab has released in the past 18 months :I

Edited by Farenath

For me 2010 was a really good BPAL year because many "must haves" blends for me came out:

~ Infernal Lover (Halloweenies 2010): a sultry sexy creamy red musk with honey undertones.

~ Tombeur (Vampires Don't Sleep Alone, still available): It's been mentioned, but it's worth mentioning a fourth and fifth time!

~ WILF (Forum exclusive, still available):

~ Brian's Schwarzer Mond, along with Ted's Luna Negra and Beth's Black Moon made a comeback last month.

~ Celeste from the Trading Post is also worth noting if you enjoy very vanilla gourmand scents.

~ Spanked made a comeback also in a revisited form!

Great, great year.

thanks everyone for recommendations! :) I see myself going bankrupt real soon. off to the hunt for some LEs :)

p.s. I know about the Shiny and New, but I wanted to hear some personal thoughts on what's not to miss :) I got this year's version of Smut cause I was following what was going on, but didn't have internet connection being at sea all the time, so wasn't checking reviews. I don't like buying before reading reviews, that's why this forum is so precious!

Edited by Kosyena

Celeste (Luper): a light, slightly floral vanilla that just makes you want to purr when you wear it.

The Soldier (Yule): Red musk and pie!

Sign in to follow this