Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Xiuhtecuhtli

Patron of the Aztec pantheon, he is the personification of light within darkness, warmth in the cold, and life in, and after, death. He is a creative and destructive God of Fire and Light, and is appeased only by sacrifice, trial, and the slaughter of his people's enemies. Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

In the vial: incense and lemon pledge
Wet: Lemon pledge with something stinky behind it. A few minutes later, something incense-y.
Dry: Bland and faint. I don’t think this is for me.

Imp: sharp flowers.

Wet on Me: more sharp flowers

Drying Down: sweet flowery incense

Dry: sweet incense floating on exotic flowers.

This smells predominantly sweet orange and white chocolate(!?) on me. I believe I was frimped my first imp, but upgraded to a bottle pretty shortly since it not only smells fanastic, but is unintrusive enough to be worn to work. It's one of my goto daytime perfumes.

Source: lab frimp I received last year (?!?)

How. Have. I. Not. Tried. This.

?????????????????

Copal is one of my top notes (I can't actually think of a consistently better note on me so let's just call it number one).

In this the copal is swirled with the yummiest citrus ever - creamy, but without the foody associations of a vanilla blend. The crushed blossoms make this an instantly identifiable "perfume" scent, easy to wear since no one will be asking "what smells like candles?" Or room spray or whatever.

It is fresh and young and glamorous. Throw is amazing on me, which is just fine because I loooooooooove this scent. Can't wait to place an order so I can get my hands of the bottle-age.

Tzi

I don't how to describe this!!

It's creamy and beautiful. The orange comes out right away, it's sharp, but I like it. The incense is soft in the background, kind or swirling itself around.

Whoa! I was afraid of the plumeria and I have no idea why. This is a delicate incense-y orange that vaguely reminds me of Nadie Se Conoce the Pickman Gallery scent, but this is less foody and it doesn't have the caramel.

This is really amazingly good. I was randomly testing decants to find some GC loves for my next order and this just shot straight to the top.

In the imp: Sweet oranges and flowers.

Wet on skin: Mostly orange, but I'm also getting a sweet wood smell - or skin maybe. Is that the copal?

Dried down: Hmmm....... this is weird. It's still orangey but fading into dust on my skin.

Throw: I am getting something here, but I can't quite tell what it is - flowers with a touch of orange, or dust, with a touch of orange.

Verdict: ** This was pretty nice until it went dusty on my skin. Oh well.

I wish I could love this, because the scent description is so beautiful! Unfortunately all I get in the imp and when I first apply it is pure Windex, and on the drydown I get about fifteen minutes of the lovely smoke and orange scent every else is talking about before it goes right back to Windex again. :(

• ITI: It reminds me of Trappist monk holiday cake - very sweet, almost candied orange, with a heady floral and resin, but combined to read almost bread-like.

Wet: Soft and gently wafting plumeria and jungle blossoms intoxicate while copal and burning incense lulls my senses into a lackadaisical sense of hazy bliss. Wow, this is much nicer on.

Dry: It's soft and pleasant - plumeria and incense are balanced perfectly to create a lovely daytime or evening scent.

My decant came from a mega-aged cobalt bottle, so I'm not sure how helpful my review will be! In the imp this is crazy-sweet floral, which was kind of alarming so I only dabbed on a tiny bit.

On my skin it's much more pleasant -- the orange and the incense come out and help balance the plumeria.

This is very different from what I normally wear but I'm looking forward to trying it again, especially once it gets colder and I need a reminder of what summertime smells like :) If anyone finds it too faint, you might try aging it a bit -- I used a very light hand and it's INTENSE.

This scent is like my best friend personified. She lives over a thousand miles away so I was incredibly pleased and very wistful when I first took a wiff of this perfume.

I didn't smell it in the bottle but when I first put it on my skin I got cocoa and even smelled a little cocoa butter. I can smell the plumeria which isn't a usualy favorite scent of mine but it's not over powering. There is also something mysterious and smokey which I am guessing is the insense. I can pick up a citrus note but it's so delicately balanced with the others that I barely notice. It's a very warm scent and makes me think of laying out in the sunshine.

I put this on in the evening and when I woke up it was still going strong. It is a very lovely delicate scent. Not too overpowering, perfumy or rich. I love it.

I was slightly apprehensive about this due to the "incense smoke", as incense tends to overwhelm on me. But this smells sweet, creamy, and light. It's not exactly orangey, but I think I can pick up a bit of sweet light orange. It's definitely a floral, but nothing I'm familiar with. It's slightly similar to lotus (I almost get a bit of a bubblegum association). It's very unusual, and a pleasant change from more typical floral perfumes.

I'm not sure what gives it the creamy feeling. Another reviewer mentioned orange and white chocolate, and I think that's fairly apt. It doesn't last long on me, but is great while it lasts. I'll be keeping my imp for sure.

In the imp: This smells very familiar, and a little ocean-y.

Wet on me: Ah-hah! It smells familiar indeed. This smells, to me, like Kumari Kandam.

Dry: Very reminiscent of Kumari Kandam, but with warm sea water instead of cold. It smells like jungle flowers and plants, and the ocean. There's a faint incensey note, but the floral elements of the plumeria and jungle plants are definitely predominant. It is an ancient-feeling scent, though, like the unspoiled jungle surrounding a civilization lost to time. There's definitely an aquatic note to this, and I think it might be the citrus that is somehow translating to warm, salty sea water. It's a very unusual scent, and I think I like it more than Kumari Kandam. I'll have to try them both again to be sure, though.

It's very non-descript. I can't pick out any notes and it sort of reminds me of something my mother once wore. Not for me!

This is not really a review, I just want to put in my two cents and say that I WANT TO SMELL LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. All the time. Floraly but with a very faint hint of cocoa, orange spice, and some kind of incensy awesomeness that ground it. I... I want to smell like this all the time.

Edit: such sadness. something in this gives me a headache and a teeny bit of a rash. I'm going to try it again after a bit becoz I loved it in the imp and am hoping that maybe some aging helps (wishful thinking???) but if not, I have a friend who is equally in love but not equally allergic. I will smell it on her, I suppose...

Edited by emanomaly

At first the sweet orange in this is super overwhelming. It's got a sort of 'dollar store bathroom cleaner' vibe going on until it mellows into the skin. The copal then comes out to play and adds a creaminess that kinda works. I'm not sure I've ever tried another blend with plumeria in it before so I can't comment on whether or not that's present but the florals are more subtle and a bit jucier than most. I don't mind it but I don't think I'll be wearing it myself.

This one blew me away! I decided to buy a full size without having even taken a whiff cause I thought the name was so intriguing. I thought the notes sounded like something I would enjoy and I am so happy that I did. I LOVE this one!!

The orange is very dominant in the bottle, but then once applied to my skin it becomes creamy - almost like an orange creamsicle - and then as it dries down a slight hint of florals followed by warm, rich, smoky, incense. The longer it stays on the skin, the smokier it gets. This one is moving to my favorites box and is definitely going to be worn a lot. I'm also thinking this one will age very well, and I'll probably buy one just to tuck away and wait..........

Mmmm.... this is delicious.

First on, I can smell what I think is the copal - it is like slightly smoky incense but BETTER - with strong orange and a creamy note that reminds me of white chocolate. It remains pretty consistent on me although it does lose that smokey quality a bit as it dries down. I don't get a lot of floral - just a suggestion behind the orange.

I'm going to seek out more scents with copal. have a love/hate relationship with incense notes - particularly frankincense and myrrh, both of which I like in actual incense form but that have a terrible terrible relationship with my skin chemistry. But this works! An incense/resin I can wear!? Maybe?

And so clearly I need to test out some MOAR copal scents to see if they work too. Anything to enable my growing BPAL habit. :biggrin: Oh, and I'm also considering a big bottle of this one!

Wet: Lemon and mildew. Like you tried to mask the scent of mildew with lemon cleaner and failed. Interesting? It's actually not as terrible as one would think - it's like clean spoiled with a little decay.

Dry: This smells like dust. Like dusty forgotten places, with the faintest whiff of incense smoke. It's kind of haunting. Not something I would wear, but very interesting.

Hmm. Lovely! From it imp, it's like toilet cleaner to me, but if you sniff the same thing, don't let it fool you.

On my skin, it morphs to a warm, slightly spicy and creamy floral. It's very sweet and I'm only getting a touch of insence. Fantastically blended as everything just balances out so well!! :D
It reminds me of something from my childhood, but I really can't put my finger on it what that thing would be...

In the imp: Juicy, overripe citrus, smashed on a dirty floor.

Wet on skin: Chocolate lime. Why, I don't know, since there's no chocolate notes in it.

Dry on skin: Mainly still just overripe, slightly unpleasant citrus. I don't really get any of the other notes, even the smoke, and normally my skin turns musk or smoke notes up really high. I don't like this at all.

Wow. Other than the jungle blooms, I get everything listed for this in one quick sniff. The smoke and copal (the latter being quite strong) blend into each other, and the plumeria and orange blend. This immediately evokes Mexican jungles, and I love that.

My reaction to copal is always mixed. I'm mostly drawn to it, but usually also just a little repelled. It's just so... Very. Rustic. I love most of its associations in my head, but that much rustic in one place also makes me grimace on the inside.

Unfortunately this blend quickly moves into nearly single note smoky copal on me as it dries. The orange-plumeria cut out so fast! If the copal had been given a lighter hand, I'd likely bottle this.

This is such an amazing scent for me, it's also very hard to review because it changes so much. I don't mean that it wears down and different scents come out, I mean that it morphs differently on different occasions that I wear it. Each time though, it's lovely. If I had to describe it, I'd say it's a green citrus scent with hints of smoky incense. Except that sometimes it's a strong incense scent with hints of floral citrus. Other times it's a very light floral with hints of orange and smoke. I love this. I originally got it in an imp pack and immediately upgraded to a full sized bottle. I can see myself going through many bottles of this one.