Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Xiuhtecuhtli

Patron of the Aztec pantheon, he is the personification of light within darkness, warmth in the cold, and life in, and after, death. He is a creative and destructive God of Fire and Light, and is appeased only by sacrifice, trial, and the slaughter of his people's enemies. Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

in bottle: this smells mostly like creamy orange
wet:Lime? something in this has made the orange smell go to a strong lime
dry: once this settles done it becomes the most beautiful tropical floral scent i couldn't stop sniffing myself all day it's that good! i wish there was a food that tasted like this smells coz i want to eat it! :P

oh no something has gone terribly wrong! i got this in the mail today so i will have to let it sit a couple of days and hope that the outcome is what it was when i tried my imp of it... i ordered this bottle because i really really like the imp i had it was just amazing smoky sweet tropical fruity floral but when i tried my new bottle today i got all that loveliness as before with an additional background ingredient of whizz! thats right folks my hand smells like pretty pee which really isn't pretty at all! :P i hope this is just a fluke maybe xiuhtecuhtli couldn't hold her bladder on the long journey from cali :D in any case i hope it is not my chemistry gone wonky and if it is it better get unwonky real soon!

Edited by AngelaTarantula

In the imp: Seriously citrus!! Fresh orange, rind and all. It is sweet but there is a bitter pith in the background.

Wet: The orange goes a bit soft and creamy... with a little floral bringing up the rear.

Dry: The orange disappears and I am left with an incense-like fragrance. This is beautiful!

In the bottle - orange and something floral or incensy.

First on - orange creamsicle! Yum!

Dry down - still orange, slightly creamy but now with a stronger incense background.

Much later - incense has taken over, but there's still a hint of orange lurking in the background.

I love it! I keep putting it on and going mmmmmm, creamsicle. :P

In Bottle - Pretty juicy citrus, very nice. A bit of a chocolate orange feel, actually.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Oh, a nice, bright orange with some incense lurking about. Somehow, they fit together perfectly. I love it so far, and can for sure see where the Angel comparisons come from.

Dry, on Skin - This is amazing, it smells like what I imagine Angel feels like to other people. On me, Angel has always just turned into a thick cloud of peppery patchouli--unlike Xiuhtecuhtli which maintains this interesting incense, citrus, deep note'd thing going on. My mom has worn Angel since it first came out, and it smells quite good on her (not exactly like this, but similarly 'fresh' and incensey). I think I might buy her a bottle next time I order, just to see if she, a major Angel fan, can appreciate it too. If not, I'll be happy to just take it for myself. ;)

This one is a very citrus floral. I definitely get the plumeria, but it isn't as intense as in other blends (I'm looking at you Thalia!). I sort of enjoy how it's got this bright citrus edge, you can smell the plumeria, and something incensey in the background. It smells kinda of exotic, and I think I smell the jungle blooms which is a counterbalance to the plumeria giving it a slightly bitter, white floralness to the blend.

Very nice. And yes, it does make me think of Mexico.

oh man, feeling depressed? smell this. it lifts the spirits, seriously. it reminds me of some good mandarins in orange jello and mandarin scented soap i purchased at bath n body works.

applied: orangey with some pretty floral scent in there

wet: orangey again

overall: definately one to buy when you feel like hell and want to life the mood for yourself. im going to put this one on my wishlist.

Wow, this is ... heady.

In imp: smoky

Wet: big, fat jungle flowers

Drying: still big floral

A bit later, the incense and, I suppose, copal, come out. Later still, the plumeria distinguishes itself from the other flowers, very clean and fresh, to complement the smoke.

This is a very pretty scent, but I'm not sure it's me. I agree with the above that this would definitely pull you out of a bad mood. I'll keep the imp around for such occasions, or for when I wish I was in Mexico.

This is a very interesting oil! I'm definitely getting the plumeria - I didn't realize that's what it was until I cam here and read the notes, but now that I see what it is, I get it! The smokey incense is what makes this most intriguing - it's almost a touch masculine. So it's this very feminine floral mixed with more masculine undertones. I really don't get much of the orange at all!

Hmmm, inneresting! Lush jungle blooms and incense. This blend would be awesome for summer wear, it's jungly and dark and mysterious! I'll definitely be getting more for when the weather warms up!

Wet: Smells...antiseptic, with a touch of steel wash basin and medicinal soap. I'll wait it out.

Dry:...still nothing but antiseptic with a vaguely citrus tinge. Reminds me of Black Opal with the mineraly-ness detectable under the cleaning fluid. I'm guessing this is copal? If it is, I'm not impressed, because it drowns out everything else, even the incense. I have no idea why this smells so odd on me. After a while some weak florals rise up and Xiuhtecuhtli makes a good imitation of Black Opal plus Antique Lace, but it's waaay too late to save this oil from the swap-bag.

in the bottle: mouthwatering orange with a hint of something incense-y behind it

wet on my skin: more of the same... a bit more incense if I sniff really close. Oh man, this is gooood.

Drying/dry: wonderful, almost tangerine-like orange, with a hint of smoky incense and the teeeeesnyest bit of lovely "jungle blooms" hovering somewhere in the background.

I love this! It's definitely a new favorite. :wub2:

This starts off a sweet, creamy orange, almost like an orangesicle. YUM! Strangely, it seems to almost completely disappear after less than an hour. I wish this scent lasted longer, otherwise I'd love a bottle!

EDIT: After a second test, this is creamy orangesicle when wet, but as it dries the tropical bloom definitely comes out to play, its creamy and sweet and rich and a little nauseating.

Edited by delighted

Fresh on, it's a jumble of jungle blooms & what must be copal. I can't pick out individual floral notes, but it has a lush, tropical jungle feel (as opposed to tropical island feel). The incense blends with the copal to make this a dark, lush blend.

As it dries, a creaminess starts to emerge and it lightens up a bit. I never get the orange; on my skin the orange just 'grounds' it in sort of a "here's a familiar smell to keep the scent from being too strange" kind of way. There's no fruit or citrus in this blend.

This really is Jungle Blooms. I can picture South American shamans performing a ritual under a full moon, this scent wafting through the scene. It's really lovely.

eta: when I lightly reapplied 4 hours later, I could smell some orange, but like a dried orange peel blending with the copal. Very yum.

Edited by surlygurl

I'll start by saying this is only my third review, so please keep that in mind ;)

I received an imp of this as an extra in a lovely forum purchase. Can't thank Lili enough for introducing me to my new favorite! I have read the comparisons between this and TM Angel. I can definitely see the similarity, but i LOVE Xiuhtecuhtli ever so much more! I find Angel a bit too heavy to wear this time of year. With Xiuhtecuhtli i get a somewhat lighter, cleaner feeling (perhaps by virtue of the citrus?) that has me sniffing myself all day long. And it lasts! The dry down is softer, and sweeter, the orange is mostly gone, but i still LOVE what remains. My hubby has been following me around since i got the imp a couple of days ago and started wearing this, just happily sniffing me and saying, "You smell so good!". Wanna know the funny thing? Prior to trying this i had a very strong aversion to anything that listed "incense" in the notes. I think i associate incense with the cheap stinky stuff from the head shop. But this is most definitely not that kind of incense. Absolutely DIVINE. I want to bathe in this! In all seriousness i've been dabbing a bit into my hair so that when i move my head i catch these lovely drifting waves of scent. :yum:

Oh, this is lovely! I'm a big fan of copal, incense, and sweet orange...so this goes over reeeeeeal well with me ;) Dusty, not sweet orange with a hint of the dark smell I usually gt from copal. Good throw. Mmm can't quit huffing my arm with this one! Keeper.

In the Vial: Thinking my sniffer is broken-- I get "fruity swimming pool" when I sniff the imp. :tongue:

Wet: Fruity! Sweet. Let's see what the notes say... I'm not sure what copal smells like, but yes, I definitely get the plumeria (*swoon* HI) and the sweet orange.

Drydown: How does Beth do this?! Just minutes later, the fruitiness mellows (but is still present) and just whispy hints of a lone incense stick smoking gently in a fruity tropical locale. It really does smell a tad smoky w/ that backdrop of fruit! Amazing!

Verdict: I'm actually not much of a fruity person but this is such an interesting blend! I can't help but to keep sniffing my wrist because it's just so... cool! Smoky incense wafting about a fruity jungle. How?! How does she do this? Not a bottle blend for me and probably won't keep the imp, either, as I'm not into fruity or smoky and it's only been 15 minutes and I can barely detect it on my skin now.

My skin seriously amps and HATES plumeria. All I smell with this on my skin is Yankee Candle Plumeria. :(

I'm kind of jealous of everyone who got the full panoply of notes on this one. I was really hoping for a darker smoky floral tinged with orange, and instead I get ORAAAAANGE in big capital letters.

There is a little bit of incense hanging around, making things slightly more interesting, but the orange is a little too sweet and cloying for my tastes.

I don't like plumeria. I don't like citrus. I'm not crazy about vanilla (this smells like vanilla somehow.)

But copal. Oh, I love you, well-aged copal. Copal totally makes up for it.

This isn't for people who can't wear florals at all. The plumaria/ jasmine-like tropical blooms amp up, but with my chemistry, at least the copal sits on them- a rich cross between amber and pine. I swear, it smells like vanilla. Rich, non-foody vanilla with orange and aforementioned blooms.

This is sweet, womanly and very pretty.

Edited by patina

This was a very promising scent for me as I like all the notes listed. I'm iffy on orange (or any citrus for that matter) though. I can take it in small doses.

Unfortunately, this was not a small dose. The orange is the main player here and if I liked orange well this would be a beautiful blend for me. Orange with a bit of plumeria and other florals warmed up by the copal and incense smoke. It is very well blended and screams lushness to me. It's that citrus that gets me. If I loved orange, this would be an awesome blend for me.

Vial: In there, it smells... almost identical to Thierry Mugler's "Angel". I had read about that in various recommendation threads and didn't quite believe it, but it's really uncanny. It's floral and slightly fruity, fresh and yet still sultry.

On: It gets slightly more citrussy on me once it hits my skin, but the resemblance to "Angel" is still quite noticeable. However, I like this a bit better than my dupe (I can't afford the original), so if it lasts a decent while, I'm going to get my fix with this :D

Later: It's a bit faded after 1 1/2 hours, but still there. It's taken a bit of a turn towards the generic now, though. I

liked the beginning, but the end warrants further testing before I finalize my decision on whether or not to get a bottle.

MUCH later: I did a day-long wear test, and putting a bit of it on my clothes and my hair has the desired results. No generic, pretty all day. Bottle list.

Got this imp as part of a lot I bought.

In Imp: is...is that Lemonheads candy I smell?

Wet: Still candy..er...kinda like Orange Clean or the like...something keeps battling to emerge out of the candied fruits...it's rather synthetic in smell.

Drydown: As the orange leaves the notes soften and the result isn't quite as sweet. It starts to powder down after about 15 minutes or so. There's something almost creamy under there.

Dry: This softens and the orange dissappears to reveal a light smoky green floral underneath. It clings close to the skin and doesn't get rid of that astringent tinge. After a couple hours, the astringent tone is gone and it's a lovely floral---took too long though.

Conclusion: honestly, regardless of the end...it's not a favorite. Too...astringent and artificial. It's definitely different. I can't say I love orange in perfume, with the exception of Seranglio.

Edited by Stormslegacy

This is WHOA floral on me. I pick up the orange on my skin, but it's not sweet orange. More a bitter orange scent. The more it dries, the more this smells like cleaning solvent on my skin. Pass.

Bottle: I can smell the orange and a touch of incense.

Wet on me: Still very orange. The florals are starting to peak out now.

Dry on me: A sweet foral orange peel. There is a little bit of a bitter orange rind note.