Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Xiuhtecuhtli

Patron of the Aztec pantheon, he is the personification of light within darkness, warmth in the cold, and life in, and after, death. He is a creative and destructive God of Fire and Light, and is appeased only by sacrifice, trial, and the slaughter of his people's enemies. Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

Wow, this a beautiful and complex scent!

On me Xiuhtecuhtli goes all creamy and sweet, but it is neither foody nor girly. It is deep, dense, almost textured if that makes any sense for a scent. To me it is all about ripe fruit and heavy, mysterious tropical flowers. I can almost feel the heat and the humidity of the jungle on my skin.
Upon drydown, the spice and the smoke come out to play with the fruit and I am left with a delicious spicy orange scent, which makes me crave a blood orange salad with a hint of cinnamon and pepper :P

Delicious! I think I will mostly wear it at night, since it might be too complex and deep for daytime.

In the vial: Sweet Orange and a slight hint of something incensey.

On the skin: The sweetness of the orange is coming out, but I can now also smell some of the floral notes peeking through. So far, so good!!

An hour later: Less floral, more spice and the orange is still there. It's a very pretty scent...and one that doesn't overpower.

A spiced citrusy smell and something faintly woodsy and smokey in the vial.

On me, this loses any floral notes and any sense of citrus and leave a faint, smokey incense smell. Lovely and light and a bit almondy, this isn't a strong scent on my but is still pretty. I'm not much for incense scents however so off to swaps with this one.

NOT your average B&B Works plumeria.

Fruity and very tart, with a smokiness, and something warm and sweet - vanilla maybe?

I got a strong book association with this (my favorite perfume reaction) - Pat Murphy's book "The Falling Woman" about an anthropologist who uses her visions to uncover artifacts in Mexico (although that was about Mayan, not Aztec civilization - so it's not a purist association).

This would make a gorgeous summer perfume.

In the vial

At first sniff, I smell plumeria and oranges, mingling with some other florals I can't name. At second sniff, I start smelling the incense.

Wet

Whoa, incense likes my skin. I can smell the plumeria in the background, but the incense note is coming out. I feel like I'm wearing plumeria in my hair and around my neck, but I'm standing in a firepit. I'm surrounded by smoke and fire. Very appropriate for an Aztec god.

Drydown

On me, it smells like spiced oranges surrounded by incense and with plumeria floating elusive and fading in the background. It's interesting.

Final thoughts

The wet stage was a little scary. I literally felt like a walking firepit. The drydown's nice, but ultimately I don't think this scent is for me. I'm not particularly fond of incense blends. Into the swap pile it goes, in the hopes it'll find someone who'll love and adore it.

Xiuhtecuhtli

I have a difficult time saying it and a harder time describing it. It's an uncommon, exotic spice with wet jungle blooms and a splash of something heady and terribly sexy. Wearing it makes me feel somehow taller and powerful, as if I can see farther, think faster. It's a confidence booster and definately sex in a vial.

Xiuhtecuhtli

This was a wonderful freebie from the lab and I am thrilled that I got to try it!

This is a very intriguing scent, very orangy and somewhat spicy when wet. As it was drying down the ornage slid to the background and beautiful florals came out more.

Dry, it is a creamy yummy goodness, with a slightly spicy, orange floral scent....blended deliciously!

Thank you everyone at the lab for throwing this into my order.....I don't think I would have tried this one at all. :P

Ok, I put this on after my shower yesterday morning to go to my dad's house. A 4am, this morning, I sniffed my wrist and it was still there. Amazing staying power.

I am not a usual big fan of floral scents, but this was exotic and light and just something I couldn't stop sniffing when I had it on. Definite tropical goodness.

It didn't change much on me either from wet to dry, and I didn't mind at all. This is gonna be a get a bigger bottle of scent.

In the bottle: strong spicy resins with a slight mint tang, of all things

Wet: mmm, spicy and resinous, but not too warm or dry - more of a pure resin scent. There's a hint of tropical flowers as well, but not as overwhelming as they often become on me

Dry: sweet creamy vanilla

Verdict: I really like this one - it's a great blend of all the scents I like, and it's such a relief to not have the white floral notes take over!

Got this as a freebie from the Lab in my last order. :P

First sniff:

Wow, this smells almost exactly like Thierry Mugler Angel, I had to get out my old bottle of Angel and compare them the resemblence was so strong. I never expected it to smell like Angel from the description since the notes are so different, but I was pleasantly surprised because I love Angel and even my love of BPAL hasn't been able to make me get rid of my bottles of it. :D

Wet on skin:

Now this smells even closer to Angel. I don't normally compare BPAL to other commercial perfumes, but this one was too close not to. I really can't pick out any of the notes in this, it all just blends together so well and so beautifully that I can't pu my finger on any note in particular.

Dry down:

Still an Angel dupe only better somehow (I should have expected that; it is BPAL after all). I really like this one; it's impossible for me not to. After all, it smells like my old staple perfume that I still haven't been able to throw away. :D

The bottom line:

I think I may finally be able to get rid of my bottles of Angel. Hurrah! :D

Describing, and accurately reviewing Xiuhtecuhtli is nearly impossible for me. This is perfection. The perfect scent, perfect for every occasion. Perfect for day, perfect for evening. Perfect for Summer, Perfect for Winter. Perfect.

It's orangey and incensey and delicious.

Did I mention that it's perfect?

This is my first review, so bear with me :D

This was sent to me as a freebie from the lovely Dolly Dimple...Thanks :D

This scent is fantabulous! It is very sweet in the imp...I thought maybe it was going to be a little too sweet. I out some on and it smelled AWESOME! After it dries down a bit, it turns to a sweet, spicy orange, incensy smell. It reminds me of being in a tropical jungle, sitting next to an orange tree surrounded by lush plants and waterfalls. Which is awesome because right now it's freezing here and raining. :D

It smells so sophisticated and exotic. Now I know why it got all of these great reviews.

The lasting power is awesome for a floral scent (usually florals don't last at all on me)

I put it on at 4:00 this morning and co-workers are still complementing it at almost 10:00.

This is definitely a keeper! This may be my new signature scent! :P

The first time I tried this, I kept thinking it was a weird lime-basil scent. My body chemistry was way off, because somehow it ended up smelling like Lemon Pledge.

I'm so glad I tried this a second time.

In the bottle, there is a very citrusy odor, which has to be the orange, but smells very very pungant and sharp like lime.

The initial application was fairly the same, except it dawned on me that PLUMERIA was a really big part of that sharp HEY SMELL ME note. I'm a bit sceptical at the recognition of Plumeria since it can tend to be the kind of floral note I really do not like; overly sweet & cloying.

After wearing it, the sharpness mellows and the plumeria/orange blends beautifully with the copal and becomes a sexy, smokey, fruity floral thing that I cannot even begin to describe. Very lush and beautiful.

Interestingly enough, this was recommended to me as being comparable to my beloved Angel. While it isn't the same, I can definitely see why someone would find similarities. Overall, it does have the same kind of hazy aura of blended scents where you really can't pick anything out but you still smell AMAZING.

And as a free imp that Beth threw in... it just got her a sale on at least a 5ml bottle. Heh. :P

This was a generous giftie imp from the Lab. Thus far this scenthas had the most interesting reaction with my skin.

As others have said, in the vial and wet on my skin this smells like Angel. Especially in the top note. As a small side note, despite being an ardent vanilla-lover, I truly dislike Angel. On me it turns to grapefruit-chocolate-patchouli-body odor, nasty to the point I dislike Angel even when other people wear it. Back to the BPAL. It took quite a bit of courage for me to dab this on the back of my hand.

I was pleasantly surprised by it, however. A light, juicy tropical floral emerged with a touch of grapefruity-zing to it. A much softer, lighter, and prettier version of Angel. Then the most peculiar base note developed beneath it. Condoms. That peculiar smell to latex condoms and balloons. It was truly bizarre, but luckily very light. I stuck that out as it seemed to be fighting to turn into something pretty. Eventually the latex smell wore away into a musky incense base note, but overall it was still a very light scent on me.

So light that in under an hour it was almost gone. This is a very pretty, non-sweet, tropical floral, but it doesn't quite fit "me." So, off to the swap pile it goes.

This is delicious, I can't stop sniffing myself.

It came as a gimp from the ever-generous Lab, and I'm glad they sent it because I wouldn't have thought to get it on my own.

In the bottle - it smells fruity and floral

On me wet - Spicy Grapefruit, though there's more there that I just can't identify.

On me dry - The sharpness of the grapefruit fades fast, and there's something lightly sweet that's starting to peek through. It smells smoother now, and very clean and light. My skin seems to soak this up, so for me this will require a more liberal application.

Yes, I do this I will get a bottle of this come summer. Good job Beth!

Xiuhtecuhtli is one of those rare scents on me where a little goes a long way; usually it takes a lot on my skin to become potent. Orange is dominant, but it's neither a cheerful citrus cleaner nor a festive holiday pomader. Oh no, this is far more mysterious and beguiling.

The incense smoke surrounds the orange, making you feel as if you might have only ever caught a whiff of orange in passing down the street of a busy bazaar. When you dance, the scent changes, and snippets of jungle blooms waft around you, turning to orange, to incense, and back again, through the cycle.

This is a very magical, mysterious blend which perfectly encapsulates what I imagine as the feeling of Aztec offerings. A brightness of joy, but a sharp smokiness of sacrifice. And it lasts for a long time.

Reminds me of soap. Actually, it reminds me of a certain product, maybe Sea Breeze ? Irish Spring ? Eucalyptus Spearmint Aromatherpy stuff from B&BW? I don't think it is any of those, but I have smelled this scent before.

It's a bit too medicially sweet for me. Once I find the actual product this reminds me of, I'll let those out in BPALand know. Right now, it is escaping me!

I got it. Orange Ginger from B&BW! I just bought a body wash today from them and this smells a lot like it. Dead on really.

Wait, it isn't that exactly...maybe that amber perfume that is solid and put into lockets...wow, this is going to plague me for awhile.

I can see this as a bath wash. As an oil, I am pretty indifferent to it and wouldn't want to smell like sweet orange and honey all day.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I can't believe that I haven't reviewed Xiuhtecuhtli yet, because it's one of my OMFG BPALs, despite the brief appearance of a rubber/latex note (see below).

The initial wet phase of Xiuhtecuhtli is dominated by the orange note, although it has an underlying creaminess and smokiness. Since this is the phase that I like the most, I wish that it lasted the longest. As Xiuhtecuhtli dries, it develops that rubber/latex note that Fyre_in_Winter mentioned in her review. Thankfully, this unpleasantness goes away and the final drydown is a much lighter version of the wet phase, with a tiny bit less emphasis on the orange note.

I do find this very similar to Angel, although on me Angel is lighter on the fruity notes and heavier on the creamy and smoky aspects. Xiuhtecuhtli would be a good way to introduce a newbie to BPAL, especially if she likes Angel.

In the bottle: Bright pineapple and fresh flowers.

Wet: I'm getting an interesting mint scent from this. It's also a bit like spicey/musky floral (similar to how carnation smells but not that). I definitely smell the sweet orange, which is much juicier and brighter than madarin orange.

Dry: It's definitely pretty musky now, which is causing it to turn a bit powdery. I still smell the orange, and the plumeria is finally coming out a tiny bit. The other florals in this one are like nothing I know and can't compare them to anything. They feel very tropical and slightly aquatic, like blooms out of the depths of the Amazon (go figure :P )

The incense listed in the description is not the same kind you find in Snake Oil and the other egyptian / mediterranean incense blends. It's much lighter, but with a deep, musky undertone. I am amazed at how I can feel the duality of its namesake. Light in the darkness...this feels light and airy, but there is a bit of darkness lurking in the background.

I can't really compare this to anything I've ever smelled before, but I suspect that if you love R'Lyeh, you'll like this one as well. They are completely different, so don't rule this one out if you don't like R'Lyeh. To me, they have similar imagery.

Were I prone to dramatic gestures, I would be ready to part with my last bottle of commercial perfume (Angel) right this minute. The comparisons between Xiuhtecuhtli and Angel are right on, although Xiuhtecuhtli is more tangy and less sweet. But it’s gorgeous tropical blooms and citrus/fruity vibe are very similar.

This seems to me sort of the summer version of Snow White, with the buttery snow removed. I think I will be ordering the big bottle in time for summer, as it seems the perfect scent for sticky, sexy NYC nights out on the town. Or for riding the subway to work when (probability suddenly being on my side) I find myself smushed up against some painfully attractive man who just happens to enjoy brushing up on his Aztec mythology.

Very very nice mmmmm....

On me there isnt much of the initial orange left. Im left with incensey florals.

I wouldnt describe it as a clean smell. I can almost smell heat from this one not because its a warm scent but it just makes me think of humid, hot, exotic places. I also get some pineapple too, and some kind of hay note that I cant really describe, its very nice actually. I would agree more with the fact that it smells like Angel compared to Rush. But this is far better than either. Very beautifully blended :P

Ooh, sweet but tart! Like the sharp zing of orange rind combined with the sweet fruit inside. Then, Xiuhtecuhtli goes sweetly smoky with a hint of florals. It's not a fire-smoky smell, though. It's more like the cold, ash-covered stone of the fire pit. Or perhaps the cold embers of a fire the night before. If I inhale deeply, I can smell the jungle in the background. This is an interesting blend. As it fades, the smoke seems to disappear first and I'm left with sweet flowers in the cool, humid jungle morning.

Today I keep thinking to myself, "Oooh, I smell Angel! Who's wearing Angel?" Then I realize I'm smelling Xiuhtecuhtli!

This is a complex, well-blended scent--hard to distinguish any individual notes. It's very sophisticated. It does remind me of Angel, though I'm not sure why since the ingredients in the two scents are so different. It must be the patchouli basenote? This is a lovely smokey scent, dark with just a touch of orange and floral. It's on my big-bottle list. :P

In the bottle: smells like chocolate oranges and flowers.

Wet: Hmm. There’s no chocolate in this. It smells like chocolate oranges to me. And very sweet flowers.

Hrm. On me this smells just like some Exclamation body powder I got one year for my birthday. Ick. :P to skin.