Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aleah

Berry Moon 2011

A sensuous, deep berry bouquet: blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries with Morello cherries, apricots, and strawberries, swirled in heady red musk and brandy.

I got this as a tester with a decant circle, thank you! :)

In the imp: This smells much like it says on the tin, so to speak. I don't get much of the brandy at all, though there might be a little of the musk in the background. Mostly wild berries, though.

Wet on skin: Yup, wild berries ahoy. I still don't get the brandy note, but that's okay with me.

On drydown: This reminds me a *lot* of the berry scent in Blood Countess. It mellows after a while and hasn't got a lot of throw on me, but it's still a perfectly nice berry scent. I know some people have said the red musk overpowers everything else, but it doesn't do that at all for me. I'll enjoy the rest of the tester, I know that much. :)

Sniff: Hello, red musk! There's fruit in there somewhere, but I'm getting mostly a dark, maroon muskiness

Wet: Now the berries come out to play! Sweet and tart, but not in a foodie or girly manner. This isn't just fruit, but also the vines and leaves and dirt of that fruit, mixed with something dusty and dark. I don't get any alcohol at all, but there's a brandy flavor that does balance the sweetness, providing a warm, earthy base.

Dry: A lush berry musk with a hint of dirt, slightly powdery and soft. I really like the mix of musk and sweetness here, it's a little too powerful for everyday wear, but something I would wear to a club or night out.

In vial: Berries!

Wet: I'm getting an impression of deep, ripened red. Pleasantly musky, not boozy or overly sweet. I was really nervous about testing this one, as my past experiences with strawberry in particular were not so good. But this is rather excellent so far.

Dry: Aha! It's the apricot that is saving this blend for me. The tartness keeps the sickly sweetness at bay, giving a fresh, light feel. What a nice surprise!

Verdict: From reading the description when this blend was up, I convinced myself to pass because berries are usually notorious on my skin. But this goes to show that the lab will always come up with something that makes a death note work, and really well at that. I feel like I've been frolicking in a field of wild berries- with sticky fingers and a stained mouth. This would be an awesome blend to wear in the hottest days of summer.

I smell blueberries in the vial. Big-time blueberries. Like someone just opened a blueberry-flavored New York Seltzer (remember????) in the room.

On my skin, it's still very blueberry, with a generous wash of very sweet musk and a tiny, almost imperceptible dab of strawberry. I don't get the brambles or the cherry at all. Or the brandy -- and I know brandy! :lol:

Even though I think the fragrance smells really good, it's a little headachey, and I don't think I want to smell like this. Is it possible for a scent to be too young for me and too old for me at the same time?

Edited by rhubarb3point14

in the bottle: it smells like wild berry gummi lifesavers with the vaguest hint of musk.

wet on the skin: it smells pretty much the same - more musky, though.

almost 2hrs later it smells super musky and like craft store.

definitely not a fan... wish it would have smelled more similar to macerated berries or berry jam :(

In the Bottle: Yup, that's some fruit brandy, alright! ;)

Wet On Skin: The cherry has a marachino vibe to it for sure- usually BPAL cherry notes turn all cough syrup on me, but I'm digging this one- it's not medicinal, it's like yummy jam! :yum:

Dry Down: the fruit are now grounded by the musk and the whole thing is decidedly more spicy and grownup than the previous version of Berry Moon.

In All: low to medium throw, this is a sweet daytime scent that has just a little kick of sexiness. Perfect for a date down on the Boardwalk, for instance!

:D

Sniffed: Juicy red fruit drowned in sour alcohol.

On skin: Oh, dear. I was SO looking forward to berries and red musk, and I do smell the deep red fruits, and smell a whiff of red musk. But all this loveliness is pickled in sour, old wine -- the brandy just ruins it all! I don't rule out that the berries may be contributing, as BPAL's cherry note sometimes does on my skin... but I just can't get past fermenting, stale alcoholic beverage. Eventually, the blend calms after drydown, the alcohol burns off, and I get the juicy, red fruit that I was expecting. But a breath of bad alcohol lingers, and the damage is done.

Verdict: Berry Moon shot to the top of my wishlist when it first came out, and I almost jumped for a bottle. Now I'm thankful that I didn't, because this was such a crushing disappointment. Drat the brandy, if only it wasn't in the blend! Sigh...

In the bottle - Rich juicy red fruits, with an underlying creamy vanilla

Wet on me - Soft almost floral berries, a hint of cherry and a haze of musk

Dry on me - Soft, light berries with hints of vanilla

Overall - I love the wet stages, but in the final dry down it's a little meh

Bottle: Rich berries with a hint of slightly sour booziness, like fruit soaked in red wine.

Wet: Sweeter on my skin than it smelled in the bottle. Less sourness. Syrupy cherry and red fruit.

Dry: Stays primarily cherry. I was hoping for a sweet, springtime fruity scent and this is much more an autumn type of scent with rich, syrupy berries and wine.

This could go either way on me - berries and apricot and musk are good, cherry, brandy and strawberry are iffy. But I love Blackberry and red musk so much I couldn't resist trying.

Wet: Mmm. Hard to discern between the fruit notes, but I think apricot and cherry are strongest. I'm getting syrupy brandy, for sure, and hints of musk. I really like it so far. Fingers crossed it doesn't go plastic! I'm getting hints of mint - huh?

Dry: Whatever was masquerading as mint has died down. This is now a faint fruity/musky scent. It's quite nice, but not blowing me away. I think it would likely be fantastic on someone else who has less difficulty with Strawberry and Cherry.

There's honey in here. It isn't listed but I know that awful scent when I smell it. I'm not getting anything that smells like red musk to me. The berries are drowned out by sickly honey. The only reason I went for this bottle was because there was no honey listed. Disappointing.

In the decant, this smells strongly of red musk, brandy, and beautiful berries. I also get distinct cherries. On my skin... It's mostly red musk. The berries and brandy make a slight comeback, but this is mostly faint, deep berries, booze, and very strong, powdery red musk. If you like red musk, this is perfect for you, but it's unfortunately not what I'm looking for.