Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Malediction

Evil incarnate. Revel in your dark side with this romantically cruel scent. Contains red patchouli and vetivert.

Gah, even with a stuffy nose I can smell the vetiver. Patchouli too, I think?

Oh, gah, no. Smoky vetiver is just not for me, and that's pretty much all I can smell.

Oro Edited by Shollin

at first: absolutely awful. two of my least favorite scents combined. it's like lynne repellent

on: help!!! this is awful.

half an hour later: warmer. mostly patchouli. the sharpness of the vetiver isn't as bad.

3.5 hours later: softer. mostly patchouli, which is good.

overall: i'm just not a fan of vetiver or red patchouli.

This was a frimp with my most recent order, and I think that whoever was responsible for choosing this for me really knows my tastes. This isn't for everyone, but I love it. I was wearing a SN vetiver scent fairly often pre-BPAL, and Malediction is similar, but better, rounder and just a bit sweeter. It's like a damp summer forest with hardwoods, lots of sharply green plants, and yes, the woodsmoke scent is there too. It's long lasting, but without a lot of throw, so I can smell its deliciousness on myself without offending those who might not share my scent preferences. I don't know why I didn't think to order this for myself. Thanks, Lab!

I actually really didn't like this one... I read the reviews and decided to try it on, and it just didn't work for me. Far too dark and woody, I think... it screamed at me a particular "sort" of person- an older man, extremely passive-aggressive or even outright physically abusive, in a house decorated with a lot of wood and possibly results of going hunting [antlers, etc] and who [definitely] smokes pipe tobacco. Maybe 40-50s, very masculine. Maybe my not liking it is just me associating different parts of the scent to different things, but I simply couldn't wear it because of that scent-association.

Edited by «now is forever»

Imp

Cough! Wow, that is very smoky and extremely woodsy spicy. This is patchouli on crack but smells love a wonderful forresty scent. I do really enjoy patchouli based scents for rooms but not for me. This one is might strong, manly.

Wet

Cripes. This makes my eyes water. Part of me feels this is exquisite for capturing the essense of outdoors and crackling fires....but then there is a big part of me that is too girly. This smells like cracked leather hides being worn by a grizzled, sweaty blacksmith over his fire.

At this stage, the throw is very powerful. Far from my nose, it smells like my hair has been around too many campfires and drawn up all the smoke.

Dry

While drying down, I swashed it over the hubby and it is way toned down on him. It suits his body and makes the dirty, sweaty man into something sexy like Aragon. It is not for him either, but I will say it is a much sexier scent on a man. After a bit of time, his skin actual ATE the scent up. WOW.

He agreed it smelt like campfires on me. And like campfires in my hair, I love the scent but I still wash it out of my hair.

In the vial: Vetiver.

On my wrist, wet: Vetiver and...vetiver (fortunately I like vetiver).

After 20 minutes: Vetiver and red patchouli. I'm a little put off by red patchouli because, to put it bluntly, it tends to stink on me. It works well in this blend, though. This is much warmer, softer, and more pleasant now than it was straight from the vial.

After an hour: I love vetiver, but I think I'm just going to have to accept the fact that red patchouli does not play well with my chemistry. Malediction was developing nicely into a dark, sultry blend and it suddenly turned to dark, sultry Vap-o-Rub that fell rather flat, just as Anne Bonny turned to dark, spicy Vap-o-Rub. Sorry, Malediction. I wanted to love you.

It's a beautiful, simple patchoulli blend. Vetiver and red patchoulli - smells like the description sounds. It's warm, and earthy. Probably not something I'd wear regularly, but maybe if I wanted to curl up with a good book on a snowy day.

It's too raw and earthy for me. It's making me feel a little nauseated, actually. As it dries, the scent softens a bit and gains a warmth to it, but it's just not working for me. The notes don't seem complex enough, maybe? Or maybe I'm trying hard not to sniff at my arm... either way, it's not a good thing. There's something unpleasant about it; a sour note underneath the warmth. Swaps for this one.

There is something very familiar about this scent, but I cannot seem to place it.

It's like cedar mated with cooked hotdogs in a forest and you tried unsuccessfully to bury the abomination in damp earth.

My nose keeps thinking it would enjoy the patchouli if the vetivert would just stop what it was doing for a minute and hide in the other room.

It's not evil incarnate, but it's certainly not a keeper.

This one comes out heavy on the wood. I think I'm mostly getting cedar. It's deep and dark. Then the patchouli comes in later. hmm not really my style.

Malediction

On me, this is a softer version of Brimstone. Where Brimstone knocked me over with the burning, something-on-fire smell, this has a gentler approach. Still, very very close. Vetiver, patchouli and something sort of camphorish. I think that this is a more wearable version of Brimstone. Yay!

This was a frimp, which was excellent, because this is soo not a scent I would have ever picked out.

In the bottle, well, I don't know know how to describe how it came across to me.

Wet, it was the smell of burning wood, not the logs that you'd buy bundled up, but logs that you'd find scattered around a forest from all types of trees. And more than a bit of lighter fluid to get the whole thing going.

After it was on for a little while, the lighter fluid scent vanished and it changed into a warmer, softer, burning wood scent. It's a bit strong for my tastes, but I think it'll be part of my first foray into diluting because this is a great scent for when I don't want to wear my usual foodie scents (because sometimes your intended effect is something other than "Eat me! I smell yummy!").

I won't be getting a big bottle of this one.. but I think I'll always have an imp of this around.

This one was a little nose-crinkly for me. I like patchouli, but this is really woody and pungent. I kinda smell like band-aids.

Saturnalia also smelled like band-aids on me, and they both have vetiver in them. I am really surprised about this because I always thought vetiver was my friend. Maybe it depends on the blend. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and it's the red patchouli that's smelling like ick.

It does start to smell a bit better after 15-20 minutes, but there's no way I'll ever be able to stand walking around smelling like a 5-foot Curad. This one's going to swaps.

In the bottle: very sharp , almost medicinal smell

Wearing it: smokey , incredible, but it smells just like candels in a church!The red patchouli doesn`t seem to be too sweet.

This seems to stay pretty long , after 4-5 hours it settles in a deep groundy tone.

It suits very well someone in a depresive state , I think,it isn`t an everyday scent , but I`ve tried 24 BPAL scents so far and this one is my favorite !I´m glad I ordred a big bottle right from the start!

Edited by iele

In the imp: man, that's a woodsy scent - it's reminding me very strongly of <b>Wolfsbane</b>, but a much darker version of it.

On me, wet: Yeah, this is the cool shady forest of <b>Wolfsbane</b> gone dark and malevolent, full of dead leaves and rotting flowers. Urgh.

On me, dry: Well, it's consistent. As it dries, it gets a little lighter and softer, but it's still mostly that woodsy vetiver smell and not much else. The patchouli never really did much, and my skin usually plays up the funky-hippy-shop side of patchouli.

Verdict: I don't need another cool-forest-vetiver scent, especially when it's this brooding and dark. Swap time!

My skin just amplifies Pachouli. So when I was gifted with them imp I smelled in once and didnt actually appy it until months later.

Initial Application: Pachouli with leather in the background. Kind of a tough scent yet still feminine.

2-3 hours later: The pachouli is fading and the leather is almost gone.

3+ hours: This is a light pachouli with a spiced amber (The Lion almost).

The red pachouli seems to work with my body chemistry way better than other pachoulis I have tried. This is totally not the roll on drug store pachouli. Its more sophisticated.

The smell on me reminds me of a earthy female who is aggessive and sexy.

This is a pretty scent but pachouli is just too heady and cloying for me. Ill definately keep the imp. It strikes me as something I would wear in the winter on occaision.

* A little goes a long way with this. It also has great thrwo and staying power.

Whoa, serious patchouli here. The patchouli's the good kind, though -- this is strange because previously I'd found that black patchouli was the rich-smelling one on me, and that the red smelt unaccountably unpleasant. In this case, though, the vetiver and red patchouli seem to beat each other down well enough to let the cedary smoke through. I like this a lot; it's dark and thick and viciously acrid. I'm currently on a hunt for a signature "tough bitch" scent, and although Dracul went treacherously black-musk-powdery, this one seems to be holding. I'm not sure if I smell more like a biker or a hippie, though...will have to seek opinions.

Oh, I’ve been wanting to try this one for a long time! I’m a huge red patchouli fan. In the imp, I smell mainly vetivert. Once applied, after the first few seconds, the patchouli emerges to join the vetivert. This is a rich, almost grassy type scent. It smells like it would make a great perfume base and I can think back to times in my life when this would be have been my holy grail. Or something like a holy grail in any case. Lately, I find I’m drawn to sweeter scents, or scents with a bit of a bite, and this seems rather simplistic and without depth (despite the fact it’s all fixative-type scents here).

This is a scent that lasts. I put a couple drops on at lunchtime and 7 hrs later my arm still smells strongly of this oil, at this point mainly patchouli with a hint of grassy vetivert. I’m glad that I got to try this but I won’t seek out a bottle as I’ve got straight patchouli and vetivert EOs, so I think I’ve got it covered.

Sraight off, this is kind of funky on me. It takes a little bit of time to warm up and become more woody and smoky. I don't get any particular scent from this. Everything is so well-blended that no scent stands alone. I don't like it right out of the bottle or for the first couple minutes on my skin but after 10 minutes on, this becomes wonderfully warm and woody!

Bottle: mmm, the patchouli and vetiver are present in equal portion at first sniff - I like the smell of vetiver in the bottle, wish it didn't have such a tendency to go wrong on me. (still - I sally forth and try again! onward ho!)

Wet: vetiver already overtaking the patchouli, but not completely. not yet, that is.

Dry: vetiver in the lead but the patchouli isn't totally out of the race.

Later: and it's vetiver by a nose! *sigh*

As others have said before this is patchouli and vetiver, which isn't bad......and while it does accent the name sake of the oil name quite nicely, the first sounding notes of rotting backside followed by the mellowing of the pathouli makes me question my tastes. It's mellowing out nicely on my skin, and it definately gives the vampy vibe but it's a bit too dark for my taste.

I like! This is right up my alley :P

As a confirmed parchouli and vetivert lover, this is heaven in a bottle. It smelled really raw in the imp, but once dry, it is mellow, earthy, and woodsmoke all in one. This is a definite keeper.

There was a chance I might like Malediction due to the red patchouli but boyoboy does the vetiver kill this for me. It's so green and raw, very much like it is in Saturnalia and Serpent's Kiss, too much for me!

in the bottle: ew. ew. ew. This is strong, bitter, harsh, and just all sorts of bad things to my nose. Must be the vetiver, which I've never smelt before.

wet: a little better... at least, it's not quite as painful to smell. Kind of reminds me of clean car smell.... but not in a good way :x

dry down: pretty much the same as wet, but admitidly I didn't really let it get there... I washed this off after about 15 minutes.

overall impression: well, it's certainly not my cup of tea. It's very leathery, bitter, and morbid... which I guess just isn't my taste. It gave me a kind of carsick feeling :|

This was a freebie from the lab... It smells VERY earthy. I don't really like it but I tried putting it on my skin anyway to see if it will morph some.... But it doesn't. It's totally not my taste, as I lean more towards sweet, fruity, floral type scents.

ADDED Dec. 6:

Got this as a frimp from the lab. It smells like dirt to me and that's about it. I figured maybe a friend of mine would like it since she's a fan of patchouli but she didn't like that "dirt" smell either. Hmmm.