Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Malediction

Evil incarnate. Revel in your dark side with this romantically cruel scent. Contains red patchouli and vetivert.

Okay, I'm trying this just to be fair since I know that it is important that the bpal touches the skin....but!

In imp: WHY!? Why must it touch the skin? :lol:
smells like...bacon. sweaty feet and bacon.

here goes...tinyest dot ever.

wet: now I smell like meats, salted smoked ham. While that is :yum:, I can't say it is what I prefer to smell like.

dry: I just can't pick up how the vetiver is planty...I just keep getting more of the same.

Oh my, you are a strong one Malediction!

When I first sniffed it from the bottle I felt scared, lol. It's very intense. It smelled peppery and dark green. As many have mentioned it did mellow out a bit after I put it on my skin. A little goes a long way on this one! I put a tiny bit on the back of my hand and it was more than enough! After a couple of hours I smelled something sweet underneath the strong smell. Citrus, perhaps? It's been more than 12 hours since I applied it and it's still pretty strong. I washed my hand and it doesn't want to go away. You are persistant, Malediction. I can see why patchouli and vetiver fans would love this one. As for me, I think it's just too strong and 'in your face.' Yup, for the last time I'm sniffing my hand and I can still smell the dark green, dirt and the mysterious sweet something. Intriguing, but it's not for me.

Evil incarnate indeed. These are two of my least favorite notes. :lol: Patchouli I can sometimes do mixed with other stuff, but vetivert is my doom note.

Yep, in the imp it is a dark, scorched vetivert scent through and through.

Guhhhh. On my skin, just burnt black vetiver. Skdjalksdjs. Just SO not my thing!

Yeah, this was basically a straight vetivert scent to me. Fans of dark, black vetivert should try this, but if you are like me and vetiver is doom, steer clear!

To start, all vetiver all the time, and it is STRONG. After a bit, it becomes more smokey, and the patch is peeking through. I like patchouli, but not vetiver, and it is definitely the star here. Not liking this at all, and I'm resisting the urge to wash it off. Oh, and it's one of those bpals that strengthens as it dries. *off to wash it off* GAH!!

In Imp: Vetiver. Dark, woodsy, musty, moldy, dry vetiver. While it's a doom note for me, and I don't like it, I think I'm slowly getting used to it. I can see the appeal it has for some in how dark and earthy it is. But bleh.

Wet: I still don't know how to describe vetiver. It's black and green and dry and rotty smelling to me. It's so dark that the patchouli actually *brightens* it a little, but really all I can pick out is vetiver, strangling, killing, and laughing maniacally over the corpses of patchouli and me.

Drydown: Keh, keh, keh! *does the Zoolander cough* Why does vetiver do this to me? :( It seems like it's calming down a little. It's not the worst vetiver I've ever had, but I think I just need to give up on this as a note.

Verdict: Wah. I feel so bad posting so many negative reviews for (vetiver) scents... It's not the perfume. It's me. I love you BPAL! mecry.gif

If you ever sniffed Lush Cosmic Dreamcatcher, that's very much it. Veeeeeeeeeeery strong yet somehow grounding, don't know what to think...

Ah the infamous Malediction. I have an aged imp.

Dark yellow oil which wet on my skin I can only describe as a very smoky patchouli. Smoky in a bacon kind of way not in the tobacco way.

This isn't a morpher it stays a smoky woodsy patchouli on dry down. Malediction has lot's of throw but it's not something I'd actually wear.

In the imp: Ewwwwwww. Like everyone else, this wasn't appealing to me at all before putting it on.

Wet: All I could smell was the vetiver, and it was still incredibly overwhelming.

Dry: Once it dried, though, the vetiver completely vanished, and it morphed to pure patchouli. That was nice, but strange!

If this scent could talk, it would scream "I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE!". Interesting, but difficult for me to wear.

Imp: A ruddy, orange-yellow oil. At first sniff it smells like the types of vetivert I don't like-- the burning wood and the swampy kind, not the nice grassy one that I can sometimes wear. The red patchouli behind it is just lovely, though.

Wet: Strong, strong smell of burning swamp, like a cross between Hurricane and Smokestack. Underneath it, though, there's this velvety-sexy, awesome red patchouli that just lures you in. Although the overall effect isn't necessarily what I want to smell like as a perfume, I am quite enjoying it. It's very strong, commanding and grounding, and that is definitely what I needed today! The scorched smells is almost an exact dupe of what my firefighting gear smells like, with an added note of wet vegetation.

Dry: I feel like I'm walking around in a big cloud of scorched earth and surprisingly sexy patchouli. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Further testing will be required, but this such an odd and specific scent that I can't imagine it going into heavy rotation.

Definitely one heck of a scent! Strong and dark, earthy and smoky and so warm it's practically on fire. My problem with it is this - I quite like it (after it's had some time to mellow on my skin) but I highly doubt anyone else will. The scent is very sort of...voodoo graveyard queen to me, which is awesome and I feel like an undead sex kitten when I wear it, but I don't think le boyfriend will be on board.

In bottle: Patchouli dominant, but with lots of smoky vetiver. The work well together, but this is skin chemistry anathema and I’m already a touch queasy from the vetiver, so no skin test.

Wet: Holy mesquite batman! This really does smell like smoked meats. Like bacon and several gallons of liquid smoke to be precise.

Drydown: Less meaty, more woody now. Still plenty of smoke, but I no longer smell like a pork product, thank heavens. mmm...smoky wood chips.

Dry: More woodsy as it dries. Dark and smoky, but in more of a pleasant way now. It reminds me of a campfire. Rustic, earthy, and rather comforting. This lasts into the next day, at which point only the patchouli is left.

The initial application was utterly crazypants. But after that, Malediction is really quite nice. Just make sure you’re alone during the first ten minutes!

5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the imp: fir trees, very thick and sticky consistency

Wet on skin: fir trees

Dry down: patchouli is coming out, it's a very dirty sappy scent. I quite like it! It doesn't smell christmasy, and patchouli is giving it an incensey background. Patchouli eventually dominates and it smells more like dirt in a forest and sticky dark sap/resin, freshly cut down trees. I need to get a bottle of this! The bacon/smoked meat descriptions scared me, but I'm not getting any of that. It's quite beautiful. Unisex and woody. Dirt and dark green. Something in my skin chemistry is sweetening it up. Love. It only gets more incense and dry as it dries, love it more.

Edited by MarlaMoreau

Wet: Smells like alcohol, I think rum. And vanilla. It's super sharp and I'm not liking it.

Dry: It gets woody, smells like crackling firewood. Smells a lot nicer than wet.

It's a nice smell, it draws up nice imagery in my mind, but not a scent I would wear very often. It's a bit too strong for my skin. Maybe it would smell better on my fiance.

Imp: stright up red patchouli and vetiver
Wet on Me: more patchouli than the vetiver. crossing fingers because vetiver does not do me a happy
Drying Down: the patch is working hard to keep that vetiver at bay.
Dry: yay!!!! Patchouli saves the day!!!!!

I wish I never put this on...

Smelled like burnt pig flesh that had been left outside for too long. Never again.

Pure evil. I think if this smell was what they were going for... then its some sort of twisted master piece. It's just not for me.

I would have sworn I reviewed this already, but apparently not. This was, I believe, the 2nd BPAL scent I ever tried (via a frimp from a friend) and it remains my favorite of all. Based on the name, description, and reviews, I never would have tried it because none of those things told me I would even remotely like it. However ...

It smells just like the woods where I hike often. I'm frequently out there and stop mid-stride, thinking "it smells like BPAL out here," and wondering why because I know I didn't put any on before going out there. It smells like wet black earth, sunshine on brackish puddles, moss, mildew, musty mushrooms, pine sap, last autumn's dry leaves crushed into the dirt, rotting logs, decaying plants, and fresh air. And it makes me so happy. It's beautiful and perfect, how could it be "evil incarnate"?

Edited by kscha2017

It is indeed a very strong burning meat type scent. It's very smoky and really reminds me of the burnt crispy bits of pork after cooking it for a holiday meal. When it dries it does smell distinctly of vetiver and patchouli, but I'm still not a fan. Vetiver almost always overpowers on me and this is no exception. I'll pass on this one.

Since this has been made into a frostbitten scent, I suppose this would be the ideal time to try it after having put it off for so long because of it containing both patchouli and vetiver.

In the imp: Smoky vetiver and gritty patchouli.

Wet: The smoky vetiver and the red patchouli are both pretty prominent and sometimes seem to be reigning side by side, but other times, I feel like the vetiver is the stronger of the two. It's very smoky and reminiscent of a bonfire or campfire... with meats being roasted by the flames, and one of those meats fell on the ground and is covered in dirt, but nobody bothered to pick it up. Yikes.

Dry: Extremely smoky vetiver and red patchouli. I feel like the bonfire or campfire isn't raging at this point, and is now dying out, with ashes drifting through the air lit by the last dying embers.

Verdict: This has been a lesson in WHY OH WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO PUT THAT ON YOUR SKIN AFTER YEARS OF DREAD!?!?!? It is far too smoky and earthy for me, but I have a friend who enjoys smoky scents, so I'll pass my imp on to her.

This morning my husband decided to make coffee in the stovetop espresso maker. He forgot to put any water in. He didn't notice this until there was a fairly strong aroma of burnt coffee and rubber wafting through the kitchen. Malediction basically smells like that.

I have been learning to love both vetiver and patchouli. This morning I was joyfully wearing Gingerbread, Vetiver and Black Clove. But this is a dry smoky vetiver and a dry dirty patchouli, no sweetness whatsoever, and this is a no.