Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
volpe

masculine florals

What are your favourite florals that are masculine and don't gender-bend (much)? Which are sexy? Dignified? Clean?

Uhm.. Hmm. Good question!

1st that came to mind for a masculine floral is Highwayman. I can't really say it's a clean floral though. Mainly gardenia and a but of rose. There's also the usual suspects: Villian, Whitechapel, and Old Scratch(lavender fougere) and Bow & Crown of Conquest (carnation and leather).

You say you want clean, so I'll try to pick from my favorites the ones that are as clean & masculine as possible! :)

L'Ecole des Filles: orange blossom, ambergris, orris root, white rose, lemon balm, jonquil, carrot seed, and benzoin.

Vicomte de Valmont: ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary.

Lysander: (I love this one!)Lilac musk, tonka, wood violet, and urbane lime rind, myrtle, blackberry leaf, and benzoin.

Himerus: (this comes across as a golden smell) juniper, sandalwood, rosewood, red musk, orchid, bergamot and lilac

The Sluggard: Pious frankincense, angelic gardenia, unsoiled pear, and staunch ho wood conflict with prickly, overgrown thistle, idle labdanum, and lethargic lavender.

Bensiabel: Plum juice, lilac, leather, and a smattering of herbs.

Veritas: frankincense, white carnation, angelica, chamomile, and heliotrope.

Thanks!

I do want a clean one, but I meant more that I wanted to know which people would class as clean/sexy/dignified/smokey/gritty etc.

I am hoping for a perfect clean old-fashioned masculine floral, light, pleasant, and professional-appropriate. But I want to try naughtier ones, too.

Edited by volpe

I love florals, but I love androgynous scents. My two favorite are Metal Rabbit (I consider it kinda androgynous) and Oberon, the male counterpart to Titiana. And since Titiana is the faery queen of Summer, it would make sense that Oberon is floral, but not really girly. At least that's the smell I got from him! I love both of these.

Ah, another plug for my dear Lurid: Shocking, horrific, fierce, savage, sensationalized, luminous and hazy: black currant, Bulgarian lavender and white musk with a dollop of thick resin and a voltaic charge of ozone notes.

I get mostly lavender, resin, and top notes of ozone which blend really well into the lavender. It doesn't morph a whole bunch, but feels very cool to me. I wear it when its stifling and humid.

To me, its definitely clean, dignified, sexy. This one is great for day or night, for night you could mix it with something a little darker like Snake Oil and it would be beautiful.

I wanted to throw another plug in for Lysander: I got to wear it for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised when I put it on. It's just flowery enough that I can wear it, but I think it's the masculine Benzoin that I'm attracted to (I might be wrong, I still can't pick up scent nuances) and keeps it fairly gender-neutral.

Overall, it's a nice, sturdy floral scent that doesn't seem to push far into the feminine side.

Hmm.

OK then I would go with Villian and Old Scratch. I see Old Scratch as basically Villian's cleaner brother. Bow & Crown would also be a great & safe work scent.

From Carnivale Diabolique, I'd highly recommend Theodosius, The Ledgerman. This is like Dorian but slightly more complex and refined. I love the jasmine leaf and bergamont notes. It's soft and very well blended. Desc: Earl Grey tea leaves, a white fougere, jasmine leaf, pearlescent white musk, and vanilla bean. I would also recommend Wulric (this is my husband's FAVORITE to wear) but it could be too foody for what you seem to be searching for?

If you want something classic but a little smoky, try Gaueko. It's a lovely smoky lavender and sandalwood. Clean and classic but unique: Blackened sandalwood and misty lavender, with curling wisps of smoky tobacco, nag champa, and labdanum.

A couple in Steamworks: Galvanic Goggles has a clean tobacco flower with metallic notes. Really interesting and a great unusual spin for a masculine scent. No. 93 engine I think of as golden saffron, hyssop, beeswax, and golden metallic notes.

I'd also recommend Byronic Antihero: a Victorian fougère and a dashing carnation boutonnière tainted by a cloud of khus, yew, and patchouli. You might be able to find this LE on the forum. I think of it as a smoky carnation with fougere. It's both clean and smoky (is that possible? hahah)

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

I do want a clean one, but I meant more that I wanted to know which people would class as clean/sexy/dignified/smokey/gritty etc.

I am hoping for a perfect clean old-fashioned masculine floral, light, pleasant, and professional-appropriate. But I want to try naughtier ones, too.

Thank you, everyone. Fun things to try. I have some of these scents and they don't all come across as floral to me. I am surprised nobody has mentioned 'Wilde' which is the one that came to mind as a masculine floral.

I should perhaps clarify that, aside from just liking old-fashioned men's scents, I want to attempt to manipulate people into finding me more socially approachable, using this little bit of science:

http://www.livescience.com/14635-impression-smell-thoughts-behavior-flowers.html

Edited by volpe

I love No. 93 Engine and wear it often, but get mostly beeswax and hot metal. Not a flowery one on me. Galvanic Goggles is also one I like. Of the ones I have, it seems second choice for the purpose. It is pleasant, clean, but its floralness isn't one that makes me think 'floral' when I smell it.

Retesting Whitechapel right now. Alas, it sounds so wonderful as a description, but on me it just smells of, well. A lemon detergent that smells really good for a lemon detergent, but is still just lemon detergent.

Ogun has a fruit, not floral, top note, but I find it bright and still masculine. The melon is the main note, but has tobacco and gin/juniper underneath. I wear it when I do yoga.

Highwayman is a Manly smell with floral accents. I always think of it as heavy vetiver, but I spilled half a bottle of it (waaaah!) in my sitting room and my wife walked through and complained about the flower smell. So obviously the floral components make themselves known.

Have you looked at Casanova? "A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli." I don't get much leather, and I get a hint of the sea (which isn't listed). But you do get the florals and herb in a masculine way.