Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zagadka

Smoky, Leathery Goodness

Help me find some scents for my dude- his favorite is Mutant Hotrodders- its the smokey, leathery notes he loves. But, he also loves Snake Oil (duh), San Fran, The School and a good majority of other scents I make him try out :lol:

Suggestions?!

Thanks!

I am a huge fan of smoky leather scents myself and I kind of hesitate to even suggest this but my favorite smoky leather scent *EVER* is De Sade (The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather). It is the holy grail of smoky leather but first you need to track some down.

Another good leather and smoke scent is Doc Constantine (Sheer musk, cedar smoke, fir needle, black amber and leather.) if he doesn't mind some pine as well. To me Doc Constantine smells like standing in a Christmas tree lot next to a wood fire while wearing a leather jacket.

Dee (soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods) is also good but that's more leather and herbs to my nose than leather and smoke.

Hope that helps! :D

*edit, left out a word

Edited by unlaced

If you can track some down Manilus Hurled from the Rock (Frankincense, leather accord, sandalwood, Himalayan cedar, nutmeg, and violet leaf) from this year's Lupercalia release, is a great smokey leather scent. To me it's a lot like Rivet.Goth with a bit of smokey musk stolen from Brom Bones.

I agree with unlaced, Dee sounds like it would be right up his alley.

And if that one isn't smoky enough, I found Rumpelstilzchen to be a much, MUCH smokier Dee:

Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.

He might enjoy Kroenen, as well - this one is unimpable, but GC, and decants can be found in the Sales and Swaps forums:

Shining black leather, gleaming metal, labdanum, and myrrh.

HTH!

I'm kind of a Johnny-one-note on this, but Iago is far and away the rawest, ripest leather scent in the catalog. It's black musk, sweaty aged leather, and vetiver. It is to die for. I wear it whenever I am going out at night in my leather jacket.

I will second the nod to Rumpelstilzchen. It's not leather at all, but the smoke/ash and the burnt spices are wonderful. It's a go-to scent for me on grey days.

I hope Doc Constantine works for you --- it sure sounded like it was right up my alley but it just disappeared on my skin. I know it works on some people.

Djinn is a lovely smoke scent...there are noble Arabian spices mixed in.

If he's into those heavy masculine scents, I'd point him to Troll as well. No smoke, no leather, but burnt spices and musk/vetiver...

I'd recommend The Red Rider (Marchen category - "Red leather, red moss, and balsam"). It's an intense leather blend. Black Rider and White Rider might be good too, though the first is very sweet and resinous on me and The White Rider is more of a gentle, soft leather.

The Bow and Crown of Conquest (Sin & Salvation) is a great dark leather and vanilla cologne sort of smell.

And since your guy likes leather and Snake Oil, you might want to try Western Diamondback from the Carnaval.

Oooo thank you for all of the suggestions- keep 'em coming! Its fun to pick out scents even if I am not going to wear them myself... or no, maybe I will. Yeah, I probably will. Who am I kidding?!

Western Diamondback has been on my curious-to-try list for a while (and banded sea snake).

Thanks everyone!!!

Kronen. Oh, Kroenen ("shining black leather, gleaming metal, labdanum, and myrrh")... it is leathery vetiver goodness. I hope your man can stand the vetiver particularly, because while the leather is very prominent, neither does the vetiver allow itself to be shoved into the background. It contributes a strong, earthy scent, but not in a "green" way. More like a few sparse grassy reeds in the desert. The labdanum and myrrh are what make this feel more rich and "indulgent", and it is very sexy. Women tend to give me odd looks when I wear this (yet they generally like it), and the men seem both intimidated and curious. :P It is described as a more "masculine" scent by many, but since I don't like gender-typing BPAL, it is just "dark" to me.

I like to wear mostly "masculine" considered scents, too. I've always just considered them "dark" or "layered" like you. It wasn't until BPAL that I started wearing more traditionally feminine scents, particularly those of the foody variety (which happened when puddin sent me glowing vulva bath oil by mistake.... :yum: )

So, this is what I ended up getting him yesterday:

1) Dee

2) The Black Rider

3) The Bow and Crown of Conquest

4) The Robotic Scarab

5) Beer From The Marsh Woman...

6) 51

the last two are obviously not part of the smoky leather mix, and I went with the Black Riding instead of the Red Rider just in case it happened to be a little too sweet, he could fork it over to me. :lol:

If he likes leather and Snake Oil, he might like Crowley. It's got leather, plus red musk and vanilla like SO:

Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

I like to wear mostly "masculine" considered scents, too. I've always just considered them "dark" or "layered" like you. It wasn't until BPAL that I started wearing more traditionally feminine scents, particularly those of the foody variety (which happened when puddin sent me glowing vulva bath oil by mistake.... :yum: )

So, this is what I ended up getting him yesterday:

1) Dee

2) The Black Rider

3) The Bow and Crown of Conquest

4) The Robotic Scarab

5) Beer From The Marsh Woman...

6) 51

the last two are obviously not part of the smoky leather mix, and I went with the Black Riding instead of the Red Rider just in case it happened to be a little too sweet, he could fork it over to me. :lol:

Same here; my favorite BPAL and now overall perfume is Black Pearl, which is definitely more on the feminine side of things... but it's delicious, and hey, I still wear my dark scents too. ;) Those are all nice picks, so I hope he ends up liking some. Dee isn't leathery at all to me, but it is incredible (mostly rosewood and creamy tonka - maybe he'll get lucky and amp the leather note instead). I also love Robotic Scarab but it was more on the brassy/metallic side of things, "brighter" than when I think of leather in general. Sounds like you have a handle on what he likes though, all the best!

I'd also like to pipe in with Rogue and Paladin. I admit to not having to developed a varied scent vocabulary yet, but both are pretty amazing, and have leather listed in the description, which I think is part of what I like. Just thought I'd pipe that in, since I haven't seen it listed, although that may be due to the newness of the scents (Fighter and Orc also have leather, though I don't have them; all are part of the RPG scents).

I'll add a second/third/whatever vote for Western Diamond Back, especially if he digs on snake oil.

If you can get your hands on it, The Traveller from the Irish Bards collection is, to my nose, one of the most delightful leather and smoke blends, though the smoke is subtle - it comes across as pipe smoke more than fireplace smoke.

All of the Riders from the Marchen line are good leathers, but my favorites on men are The Red Rider and The Black Rider. White just doesn't come across as very masculine to me.

If you want something softer, I can definitely see Hunter smelling like sex on a man, especially if his skin works well with ambers in any way.

Hope you find something delicious for your man soon! I love a guy willing to smell good. :yum:

Edited by wolfensong

No one's recommended Dragon's Hide? It's all smoke and leather alright, with a touch of brightness from the dragon's blood. I found it very masculine, and I thought the leather was more hide-like, living and "brown" as opposed to the synthetic black-leather I get from most other leathery BPALs.

And Liz of course, except that she's most definitely feminine. ;)

This is probably coming a bit late at this point, but I got a chance to test Capt. Cully a few days back... it is PURE LEATHER. I kid you not, it is the exact scent of a brand new leather saddle. Exactly. As much as I love the smell of leather, it was actually a bit disconcerting. Like, you could probably trick someone into thinking whatever you're wearing IS leather, this smells so much like leather. So if he reallyreallyreally wants leather and leather alone, it should be your number one pick. Personally, some of the other scents recommended here are better in my mind since they're not so one-note.

And a different leather and smoke to me is Shrunken Heads. Really an experience, worth searching out a decant. On me the smoke burns off eventually and it ends sort of leather-wet fern like, but in bottle, wet, and early dry down i get LEATHER and SMOKE.