Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

BLUE MORPHO
Wild orchid, pikake, honeysuckle, calla lily, agave nectar, pink geranium, violet leaf, and white amber.

Blue Morpho is an exotic, juicy bouquet. It's a sweet, surprisingly light floral confection considering the listed notes. Extremely well blended.

Beautiful Amber note under this.

Tahiti or Hawaii.

Could imagine this for a summer bride.

Wet: green (violet leaf), pikake, a touch of lily at the back. Overall it gives a cool metallic impression

Dry: The green fades into the background and it turns into something my grandmother could have worn. Perfumey but understated. Definitely floral. Rather nice actually. I keep sniffing at it. The amber and agave gives it a warm sweet base for the florals. I didn't notice any honeysuckle at all.

Overall, I rather like it but I'm not sure it's for me.... But I'll keep it around for layering and linen spray. Lovely.

Leafy green floral (mostly lily) when wet, but dries down to a really lovely tropical bouquet. A bit perfumy at first, but it passes once the amber shows. Really quite lovely - probably lovely enough to get a bottle.

Hey. How come this doesn't smell tropical on me? I guess it smells a little bit like orchid, but it's distorted a bit (possibly by the geranium?) and winds up smelling more like a soft generic floral than a lush tropical paradise. It doesn't smell like one particular flower -- none of them are too strong -- but it's also not really a standout for me, personally.

I really wanted to LOOOOOVE this, and I DO, but it's just.... I don't know, missing something. :(

It is beautifully blended, I can pick out the violet leaf and agave. The amber steps out from the shadows after a little, otherwise, the florals meld together in a scent that is both lush and fresh. It has an airy, spacey feeling to it. It smells green, aquatic, like sea foam on skin with a floral breeze, and almost the sting that aloe has when it's fresh.

However, with the pikake and lily I was hoping for something with more Oomph. I think it would be exquisite on someone else. I think you might like this if you like fresh scents that are vaguely floral but don't want a FLORAL!!! if that makes sense.

:( off to swaps

This is a crazy screaming floral nightmare on me.

I normally quite like florals. There's something about this that makes it super aggressive to my nose-- I think it might be the agave? Too many flowers trying to shout into my nose at once.

After about an hour, this dies down into nothing but pikake on me, which I don't love on its own. It lasts for just about forever... I could still smell it at the end of a work day.

The two things I never smell here are the two I most wanted... The calla lily and the amber.

At the end of the day, this scent is not for me, but if you're looking for a floral that's got a bit more kick than most, you may like this!

I loved this immediately, from my first whiff of the bottle.

Bottle: tropical, pikake, orchid

Wet: something fruity in the citrus range, with the tropical florals

Dry: the citrus recedes, leaving the smell of a lei, or flowers on the bed of a honeymoon villa. The amber binds it nicely to the skin, giving it a lush warmth. Surprisingly longer lasting than I'd anticipated.

Buying backups immediately.

A bright, lovely tropical floral! A perfect summer blend! Not headache causing in the slightest! :wub2: There is a hint of greenness as well.

Sadly the SO doesn't like it, so this one will probably be heading to swaps.

In the vial: Honeysuckle, violet leaf, not-overwhelming pikake, pink geranium, and white amber. This smells pretty in the vial.

On skin: Similar to in the vial, I get honeysuckle, pink geranium, cala lilly, a hint of pikake, white amber, and a sweetness that must be the agave.

Dry: A perfect balance between pink geranium, honeysuckle, and wild orchid. Pikake and cala lilly are both really tame here, and there is a mere hint of watery violet leaf. The agave adds a tiny refreshing sweetness, and the white amber casts a cool translucent mist over the whole scent. I do not love florals. But this is not heady in the least, and I find it surprisingly nice. Blue Morpho comes across as the scent of a delicate, magical nectar. It evokes flowers in the way that a flower-drinker would scent them, sweet and refreshing and antennae-tinglingly tasty. Wear this to a butterfly house and I bet you’d be the center of attention.

Verdict: This is very pretty, even knowing that I would never wear it. Highly recommended for lovers of light florals, even jasminephobes, especially if you enjoy e.g. The Lilac Wood, I find the vibe to be quite similar. I’ll be keeping my imp.

From wet to drydown, this stays the same: blue sweet cotton. Ordering this so I have another tolerable clean smell. It's like all those air fresheners and fabric softener that were supposed to make you feel clean, crystalline, and unsoiled. But no chemicals. The pikake and lily are wonderful. Violet leaf was a wise add, as it comes out changing the base structure without screaming "VIOLET!". Agave nectar has a very unique sweetness. It can't be missed here. I really love this one. Not for every day... Just the day after I drowned myself in Hetairae and developed a selective memory about what really happened between the strip club, pizza joint, bar, and diner and how did I get in my bed? Thanks husband! I know, I'm too old for crap like that. hahahaa

This smells very much like a clean floral blend that would scent laundry detergent or pretty shaped soaps for the guest bathroom. I was looking forward to the calla lily and amber, but don't detect either one of them here.

Blue Morpho is a cool, clean smelling floral with a powdery edge from the amber. I get mostly lily, orchid, and pikake. It's sort of soapy in the way that Dirty is soapy, where it's very reminiscent of a floral laundry detergent. I think that this is pleasant enough... it conjures up images of spring time and clean laundry... but it's not my sort of scent. It makes me feel like I've rolled around in laundry soap after a while.

Wet it kinda reminds me of Sweet tarts. A sweet juicy yet powdery scent.

Dry it goes much more floral but still sweet

A sweetly tart floral, this is pretty beautiful. This is cool but not cold; the white amber gives it just a bit of sunshine to liven it up. Otherwise, the florals are the star here but it's not an overwhelming floral blend at all. The agave really keeps it from being a screaming floral. Very beautiful. May be bottle material. ETA: This gets powdery from the amber after a time; not me so much afterall.

Edited by saralaughs

To me, this is a very aquatic floral. In the decant, it's the blue-green of tropical seas over white sands. It's not nearly as sweet as I expected; it's well grounded.

Wet, I don't get any amber or honeysuckle, but definitely orchid, geranium and violet.

Dry, it's about the same, I smell mostly orchid and violet.

This stays close to my skin and lasts well. Considering that amber usually turns to powder on me, I'm happily surprised that this stays true.

A refreshing scent for a hot day.

In the vial: Wow, what a beautiful tropical bouquet! :wub2:

On: Oh yes, definitely geranium and agave nectar, with a hint of orchid. An interestingly cool bouquet of flowers, perfect for summer!

Later: Still cool florals. This reminds me a bit of Hi'iaka and Midnight. I wish the geranium had stuck around a bit more, as it is now mostly faded, since it was what made the blend stick out for me. Now it's just a generic, but nicely cool, bouquet. As this IS nicer than Hi'iaka (which I recently sold), I'll keep the tester, but it's not bottleworthy for me.

I had high hopes for Blue Morpho, especially when I sniffed the bottle and smelled a cool, beautiful floral blend, heavy on the pikake and honeysuckle. As it dried on my skin, though, a slightly sour funk showed up behind all the pretty blossoms, just strong enough to put me off. :ack: I think I may have to accept that geranium is one of my risky notes, alas! :(

Wet, lovely fresh floral, I could swear there's some citrus here. Dry, musky floral with a touch of the amber in the background. This blend is just too florally on me, but the amber is wonderful behind the cloud of perfume. Nice to try, but I don't think that this is me.

I mainly get the pikake, violet and amber. I was hoping for more geranium and orchid. I get some honeysuckle, esp. on wet which adds to the sweetness of the blend.

Pretty, floral, summery.

In decant: bright and green clean floral. Almost fruity, a touch citrusy. Quite unexpected! I don't see any fruits in the components list...but that's what I'm getting.

Wet on skin: mostly the same as the decant smell, but that fruitiness (versus floral) is even stronger. Light, crisp, and green. Maybe also yellow! This would be a refreshing summer scent, and probably worth a bottle for me, but not one I'd get a backup for. Maybe. This is a sort of asian fruity floral blend, and made me think of Weeping Branches Moon for some reason, though I think the only thing they have in common is the honeysuckle?

Dry: beautiful light crisp yellow/green florals, clean, with light throw. It's STILL almost citrusy/fruity in feel, I swear this is confusing me a little. Dry, it made me think of Xanthe now, more than Weeping Branches Moon--a less-creamy Xanthe...and Xanthe is ALL crisp fruits. There must be something with this combination of florals!

Verdict: I've done the deathmatching, not only with Xanthe and WBM (why did I ever think they would all be similar? lol) but also with Zephyr. Blue Morpho does stand on its own against those, and I will be getting a bottle :)

Edited to change verdict!

Edited by angelamaria

I typically don't do well with honeysuckle or geranium, but this is pink geranium which doesn't go sharp, and I barely get any honeysuckle at all. Thankfully this is mostly orchid and pikake on me, with gentle touches of the other florals in the background and a soft base of white amber. It actually smells really fresh and clean and uplifting, perfect for a hot day or any day when you need something to lift your spirits. Surprise win!

This is my favourite of the butterflies this year, and I'm surprised that it worked on me since geranium, orchid, and violet are traditionally notes that do not work well with my chemistry. Blue Morpho is a well-blended lush tropical floral on a base of cool white amber. Despite all the floral notes, this isn't overwhelmingly strong or perfumey. The throw is moderate and its refreshing on the hottest of summer days. :wub2:

Blue Morpho is a light, flowery scent. It's watery and cool and really not my thing. :(

I'm going to preface this by saying that, of all the butterflies and moths, I was looking forward to this one the most, thanks to my Grandma B. She was a world traveler whose house was decorated with eccentric souvenirs from her travels, and one of those souvenirs was a collection of butterflies from a trip to South America. The centerpiece of that collection was a Blue Morpho, all brilliant blue, with this sort of iridescent violet shimmer on its wings. I thought it was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen, and it made this massive impression on me, so... basically, if this scent doesn't work out, I am going to be super-duper heartbroken.

In the bottle: Beautiful, clean, cool, sweet-but-not-at-all-heady floral, with a very lightly aquatic feel that comes unmistakably from the orchid. Pikake and calla lily also stand out, along with a squirt of smooth, sweet agave, but on the whole it's very well blended and hard to pin down precise notes, aside from the orchid and white amber at the heart of it. It's a cool-colored, refreshing, elegant scent that brings to mind pale purples and greens and—especially—blues. Really, really lovely. Blue Morpho butterflies are nectar drinkers, and this brings that to mind.

On, wet: A little more tartness on the skin, as the pink geranium and green-smelling violet leaf add complexity to the orchid, lily and pikake, with the amber underneath. The honeysuckle is VERY restrained, at least for me, just peeking out here and there. It's a gorgeous, lush, tropical floral that's brings to mind my beloved (and DC'd) Ile de la Tortue, with that same sense of cool ocean breezes, scented with rich, tropical blooms. Nice throw, too, without being aggressive. I feel like I'm on a posh veranda on an island, dressed up and drinking a sleek cocktail and enjoying an evening out.

On, dry: This is more tart as it dries down, and the geranium-violet leaf duo has sort of fused with the orchid-pikake-lily combo, balancing it very nicely and keeping things from getting too sweet. The amber grounds everything beautifully without ever really standing out much as a note on its own, and the overall effect is amazingly cool and blue and shimmery and sheer—light and beautiful.

Later: More of the same, just even smoother and better blended. Gorgeous.

Overall: Love love love. :wub2: It's a perfect summer floral, tropical and sheer and beautiful and lush, a coolly beautiful and refreshing antidote to heat and humidity. I don't know how Beth does it, but this is exactly the essence of that Blue Morpho butterfly that fascinated me as a kid, with its shimmery, brilliant, iridescent wings. I'm especially happy that the orchid stands out here (reminiscent of Ile de la Tortue and Christine, if you're a fan of either of those blends), because so many of my favorite orchid blends bit the dust over the last year. This eases the pain a lot!

Edited by Bluestocking

In the decant: A mess of florals with some amber acting as a base note.

Wet: Much the same as in the decant. The honeysuckle is a little more prominent than the other florals.

The dry-down: This scent doesn't morph. It's okay, but not really my thing.