Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Orange blossom honey, brown sugar, saffron, tonka absolute, and tobacco leaf.

hmmmmmm so good, brown and fuzzy! need bottle :P

In the bottle, this smells absolutely heavenly. It had all of my perfect notes. But maybe that was the problem? It's like how they say that two gorgeous people will make an ugly baby. On my skin, this is so incredibly masculine that I almost feel like the wrong juice is in the bottle! Surely I have not just put orange blossom honey and brown sugar on! This is man. Man, man, man. There's also something mildly metallic. Why skin, why?!

I'm going to give it some time, see if the tobacco lightens up, if the vanilla cream tonka bean can get a chance to have her say, but if not, I don't know if I would wear this and I'm single, so there wouldn't be a man to try it on. :cry2:

Edit: I just made the saddest sound as I realized that I needed to scrub off. It'll go into my aging cellar (otherwise known as my walk in closet) for a while and we can try it again in the Fall.

Edited by teamilk

In the bottle, this is gloriously sweet tobacco and herbal honey. Warm and sparkling, faintly spicy.

Wet it's pretty much exactly the same scent as it is in the bottle. My skin doesn't amp any one note over the other, and it's so well blended that nothing jumps out above that overall sweet, spicy warmth.

Dry down it seems softer, more feminine. Now there's just the faintest touch of orange blossom, like a kiss of Jezebel. The honey in this isn't the honey of O. It's the more herbal honey of Yewberry Infused Honey. The herbal scent is stronger on the dry down, and something a little dry tickles my nose.

The only thing keeping me from completely adoring this is how fast my skin ate it. Within just three hours or so, it was very faint, and within five it was completely gone. Still, what a lovely, feminine scent without being overwhelmingly floral. I'll enjoy this a lot.

Musky honey. I get honey and tonka, with a dash of saffron. Swirls of orange blossom on the drydown.

It's brown, fuzzy, playful and sexy.

On the skin: Hmmmm, I really can't smell much of anything. Weird! After a bit I get a bit of herbal honey. Interesting and kind of fuzzy feeling. This is very much honey on me.

I am afraid this scent is not for me. It never really blooms on me. Ah, well...

A blend where brown sugar doesn't ruin it. This is lovely. Sweet, delicious honey, orange blossom and the tiniest amounts of tonka and tobacco leaf. The saffron is hardly noticeable which is kind of a disappointment, but who cares. :lol:

In decant: dusty, and very very faintly bitter orange blossom honey. No, wait, it's not bitter--it's the tobacco. So, smoky? I can also detect that brown-sugar-sweetness.

Wet on skin: orange blossom, honey, tobacco, and...tonka. Definitely creamy and complex, but not overwhelming and confusing. It's definitely gender neutral. As it dries, the saffron is coming up--I very distinctly recognize it from my Monster Bait: Underpants sniffie! Mmmm, this is a nice saffron. Maybe this is a good Underpants substitute? I'm definitely getting the same feel I got from Underpants, but slightly spicier. Note that I'm going by memory, so it may be hazy.

Dry: mmmmm, delish. Smooth and creamy saffron, honey, and orange blossom. Very, very beautiful blend, I need to get a backup of this even though I already have a bottle winging its way to me! It's a perfect balance between sweet and spicy and smoky, a perfect sexy low-key blend. Later on, it's softened into a smoky/tobacco-ey saffron, and the orange blossom almost gone, which is a shame. I can still sense it, but faint.

Verdict: I'm not as excited as I was when it was drying/newly dry, but I'm definitely liking this blend a lot and I'm pleased as punch I'll have a chance to purchase it at lab prices. Need backups!

In bottle: funky wood

On skin: dry-dusty incense

Half-hour later: the dry incense is a bit sweeter, but not overpowering

In conclusion: I liked the wet stage, it reminded me strongly of shopping for incense in a good store that has a whole aisle of it. This ends up with lots of tonka and tobacco, with just a bit of honey and brown sugar. Very light, but great to slather.

hmm, i felt kind of meh about this scent at first, but as it dried, i liked it more and more. i mostly get saffron, tonka and tobacco i think. it is a nice scent, but not very remarkable on my skin. i think if the orange blossom honey was stronger, i'd be more into it. don't get me wrong, it is pretty, but it just doesn't wow me right now.

I had high hopes for this scent. I like sweet scents, and the honey and brown sugar boded well. My favorite scent, Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand, features tobacco leaf, though I haven't really worked with saffron or tonka.

In the bottle: I'm not certain what to make of the scent. It's not as sweet as I'd hoped, and I can't really pick out any individual scents. It's not sweet, not floral and not foody - beyond that, I can't really specify.

Wet: It almost smells musky. There's still no sweetness, and none of the spiciness I would expect from saffron. It's possible that I'm primarily smelling the tonka and tobacco leaf, though I couldn't say for certain.

Dry: In it's dry state, the sweetness being to emerge. It has a faint hint of chai - which is almost certainly the result of the honey and brown sugar. The overall scent is quite faint, at this point it's just sweetness with a complexity to it. I like it much more in its dry state than its wet.

Verdict: It's not as awesome as I'd hoped, but it's wearable once it's dry. It's a pleasant sweetness.

Wet and dry Pussy comes off as both a slightly-herbal O and/or a slightly less herbal Black Hellebore Honey. It's soft, faint, and unfortunately not terribly unique on my skin. I'm fine with my tester but I'll stick with O for a soft musky honey blend bottle purchase.

EDIT: Re-tried this after letting my decant sit for a few months, and now the tobacco and saffron are SCREAMING, though they're typically very nice notes on my skin. Honey and sugar are barely present. Seriously, this has MAJOR throw now, and I only dabbed a little bit! I'm thinking that unless I have some sort of musk to keep it grounded, tobacco will amp like crazy on my skin. Ugh, I need to scrub this off NAO. :ack:

Edited by thatbrownelf

In the decant: A light honey with other sweet notes.

Wet: Much the same as in the decant.

The dry-down: The orange blossom aspect has come out strongly, and so has the saffron. There are hints of the sugar, the tonka, and the tobacco, but not enough to make this scent as lovely as I had hoped.

From the moment this touched my skin it turned into a powdery mess. There are other scents underneath, but overall it's just baby powder which I cannot stomach. Blah!

Wow, I could have sworn there was pepper in this! I get the honey and sugar right off the bat, but then with a prominent WHOMP it goes to manly-land :wub2: Peppery tobacco-tonka that's constantly sweetened up with the dark sugar! Woohoo! I'm a happy girl with this one - though it's a mite strong and I'll probably retest it soon before a final verdict.

In the bottle, Pussy is a warm, fuzzy honey with a touch of saffron. It pretty much remains the same on my skin, but I find as it dries, it warms up even more due to the combination of honey, tobacco leaf, and saffron. I sadly can't smell any tonka. Pussy has great staying power too. I catch wafts of it throughout the entire day. It's not really foody at all, but more like a warm barely-there floral, but more like pollen than actual flowers. It wasn't what I was imagining this would be like based on the notes, but it's still beautiful and glad I bought a bottle.

Ugh, tobacco leaf and I are not friends - my skin amps the shit out of it and that's all I can smell here, along with a strong, perfumey undertone. Must scrub. :huh?:

I don't like Pussy. When I rub it on my hand, it smells nasty.

My Inner 5th grader is cracking up...especially after reading that comment!

Based on the notes and all of the positive reviews, I would LOVE to try this blend...but I don't know if I would ever be able to straight faced tell someone what I was wearing if they complimented me... :rofl:

I was a little worried about the brown sugar here, because it normally goes to maple syrup on my skIn. I shouldn't have worried. This is awesome! It does go a little powdery on the drydown, but I love it anyway. The honey and tobacco leaf are most prominent on my skin, and this is a really warm and cozy blend.

Based on the notes and all of the positive reviews, I would LOVE to try this blend...but I don't know if I would ever be able to straight faced tell someone what I was wearing if they complimented me... :rofl:

I managed to track down a 5ml of this...the notes were so promising, I purchased unsniffed, and so glad i did!! Thia has become one of the most comforting, and beautiful BPAL oils I own...I love the way the honey is warm and creamy (thank you Tonka!) on my skin...my husband loved it on me too!

How can something with honey, brown sugar, and tobacco leaf smell so not sweet? In the bottle it's gentle and warm, a bit orangey, and the saffron is giving it some bite. On me, it's sharp, dessicated, spicy, sort of powdered-gingery. Must be the saffron and orange blossom going bitter on me. I bought this for the name (yeah, I'm immature), and I'm keeping it. I just hope it ages or my skin chemistry changes, or I find something I can layer it with. The honey note that was so bad on me in O (I got stinky socks) is trying to come out, but it's a background thing, not the main scent. The main scent right now is bitter powder.

Will come back and update this review if I notice any changes.

The notes listed would make one think this is a sweet scent, possibly too sweet. However, it's more dusty than sweet. The honey note reminds me of a honey dusting powder I've smelled from a local "sensuality" shop, and the saffron adds a dry spice note. The orange blossom adds a sharp edge while the tobacco attempts to ground the scent. Not really getting much of the brown sugar, and I don't think I could pick out the tonka if I tried.

On my wrist, the scent warms up, literally. I love how some of BPAL's perfumes actually give off heat. The sharp citrus notes fades, thankfully, and the tobacco joins the saffron as the most prominent notes. Can't really decide how I feel about this scent. :think: It's like nothing else I've smelled. I will keep it around for now, as I have a feeling I might like it more in the warmer months.

I was afraid this was going to be too foody and sweet, because of the brown sugar, which I was afraid would go crazy syrupy sweet caramel-y, but it did not and I LOVE this! It's got sweetness there, but it's got a warm, spicy, almost woody scent that keeps the sweets from being too much for me. When this dries down for a while the tobacco becomes more prominent, but I love the smell of tobacco leaf. This is a lovely, well balanced scent. It smells very golden brown to me, if that makes sense, and I love that!!

(Note: Especially when wet this reminds me of Lush's Mange Too massage bar, but even better!!)

Edited to add: the throw on this is pretty strong compared to my usual and it lasts FOREVER so keep that in mind. I'm so used to lighter throw oils and I kind of SLATHERED this the other day without really thinking about it. It was lovely but a bit much for me as time went on!

Edited by kawaiiferreto

I'll start off by saying I love wood. You can snicker if you need to......I was looking forward to all the notes in this scent but was sort of disappointed. It smelled a bit like The Wrestlers to me. Which I liked but didn't love. I'm not a fan of the tonka or should I say, it's not a fan of my skin. Pussy smelled the same wet to dry (snicker some more) but once it dried it turned to candle wax on my skin. I'm bummed.

In the bottle - An incensy honey with just a touch of soap

Wet on me - Oddly, I get perfumed pencil shavings, it's a bit like cheap pot pourri

Dry on me - A smooth woody note with hints of soap and musk

Overall - I was so looking forward to this, but in the end it didn't work on my skin