Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

PUSSY
Orange blossom honey, brown sugar, saffron, tonka absolute, and tobacco leaf.

This is a very well-rounded scent. The tobacco leaf balances the honey. I'd call this a unisex scent for sure. I think this would be fabulous on a man. It's warm and comforting, kinda sexy. It dries down into such loviless on me.

If I was any good at writing reviews, I would have written the same thing as Mineralgirl. Since I'm not, I'll just say that it's a very bright pretty scent and not too sweet. It kind of reminds me of Loosening of the Obi.

Pussy - G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S!!!!! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: This scent surprised the heck out of me because I shouldn't have liked it - honey and saffron are both "iffy" notes on me and I'm absolutely never able to wear anything with brown sugar in it! I guess with BPAL, there's always an exception to the rule. The orange blossom honey is the strongest note, and amazingly, it really doesn't smell like plain honey, but has a definite orange blossom facet about it that reminds me of the orange blossom in Jezebel. The saffron spices it up in a way that is reminiscent of MB: Underpants. The tonka gives the scent a bit more warmth and the tobacco leaf grounds, but absolutely does not overwhelm the scent. I don't smell the brown sugar at all, which for me is absolutely thrilling. On me, it is sweet and subtle and I'd put it in the same category as Sara Pezzini. I just can't get over how much I love this scent -- it makes me feel so pretty, and is a perfect, soft, mostly-skin scent. It will be a great scent for wearing to the office -- subtle and natural enough not to annoy anyone, yet strong enough and pretty enough to keep me silently swooning for hours.

This is AMAZING. :wub2: It' actually what I was hoping Khrysee would smell like. Thick, golden, sensual raw honey that only gets heightened by the saffron. The further it dries down, the tonka and brown sugar add a warm vanillic depth and the tobacco leaf jut a hint of smokiness. I know this probably sounds perverted given its name, but Pussy is pure sex. I'm going to need at least one more bottle before these come down.

Imp--sweet and sort of nutty

Wet--honey-nut sweetness, with an undercurrent of something dusky

Dry--this rounds out into a wonderfully warm honey-sweet but grounded, spicy, and earthy fragrance. It's very well blended and doesn't really smell like any one note in particular, which is great for me because I don't like smelling like I just applied honey directly to my skin. The first night I wore it I wasn't sure if I liked the overall impression, but vowed to try it again on a day I wanted to feel summer lushness, maybe if I was going to an evening outdoor party where candles would be lit and there would be lots of wine. I ended up slathering it on today for my son's pirate birthday party in the backyard and it was perfect. It's very sensual but not too sexy or sophisticated. It is a great close to the skin scent that has spectactular lasting power--I could still smell it in the morning after I tried it for the first time. My kids love the smell too.

I love this as something to wear through the warm weather. It's not the kind of summer fragrance that makes you feel cooler, but one that embraces the warmth and the stickiness and makes you feel part of it.

I was unsure of this one as I've been iffy with some honey blends. Upon applying, the honey is a little on the overwhelming side (the same problem I have with O and Jezebel), but happily that fades quickly within 5-10 minutes and I'm left with a beautiful, warm summery scent that's not too much of any one thing. I think the tobacco leaf really helps keep the honey in check, although of course I can't be sure of that. I can't pinpoint the brown sugar, saffron, or the tonka, but nevertheless this is just an amazing blend once that initial burst of honey passes. Usually I have to test something a couple times to be really sure but I already know I am keeping this one :)

In the imp this smells so sexy & pretty. On me it turns to heavy powder. Like old lady smelling powder? I had to scrub this one off. It was that nasty on me. Damn you skin chemistry :cry2:

Edited by Fetish911

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I originally didn't buy a bottle of Pussy because the notes make me think of Spicebush Swallowtail, which was just too sweet for me. But, since the Pussy moth is quite possibly the most adorable bug on the planet (the caterpillars look like they're wearing Tina Turner wigs, tell me that isn't awesome) and the reviews sounded promising, I caved and got a bottle.

I hate orange blossom, although I don't know how I feel about orange blossom honey, and I'm not a big fan of brown sugar in perfume. Saffron is generally okay and I like tonka and love tobacco. So this one could go either way.

First sniff:

I was anticipating something much sweeter and foodier than this. It has a sweetness to it, don't get me wrong, but it's not intensely sugary the way Spicebush was. I'm getting tobacco and honey with just a touch of tonka. It's surprisingly gender neutral.

Wet on skin:

This is nice. It smells vintage, or even antique, somehow. The scent just somehow makes me think of the 1920's and 30's. Why, I have no idea. It's honey and tobacco with just a touch of dusty sweetness from the tonka. It's fairly light and not cloying.

Dry down:

This definitely isn't like Spicebush Swallowtail. Not even close. The honey is still the main player, but it's not a sticky, cloying sweetness. It's sweet but sophisticated smelling. The brown sugar and tonka add just a bit more sweetness, while the tobacco and saffron add a nice richness and depth to the scent and keep it in the gender neutral range.

The longer it sets on my skin, the more integrated the notes become until it turns into a very nice tobacco scent with hints of spice and honey. It's like walking into an expensive cigar shop, which wasn't anything like what I expected going into testing this. It's a little bit sweet, a little bit spicy (not in a cookie spice sort of way), a little bit smoky and very rich smelling

The bottom line:

I'm glad I gave Pussy a shot. Not only do I get to laugh like an idiot when I think about the name (everyone's got an inner 5th grader inside them somewhere, whether they want to admit it or not), but it smells quite nice, too. I love tobacco scents and this is much less intense and less masculine than my other tobacco favorites (Herr Drosselmeyer, Hellfire and Famine). Plus the label is adorable! A hairy moth! It looks so snuggly!

Mmm, honey and tobacco. This actually isn't that different from Tobacco Honey on me, right down to that slightly metallic edge to the tobacco note. It's a little fruitier. There's something here that's trying to go a little funky/powdery on me, though, and I'm not sure if it's the saffron or the particular honey in this. Very VERY sweet. I'll give it another try on another day and see how I feel.

love. :wub2: orangeblossom honey and saffron is what I smell and it is SO damn GOOD! I do need a bottle :yum:

In the vial: Mostly orange blossom, with a bit of brown sugar and saffron. Plus some tonka. It’s a little tart, orangey citrus tart, in the vial.

On skin: A sugary, floral orange blossomy honey. For a while Pussy is more floral than I expected it to be. But as it dries the tobacco begins to emerge in a major way, and the floral quality mellows...

Dry: A deep orange honey tobacco. The main note on me is rich tobacco, sweetened by sultry orange blossom honey, a little bit of saffron, and a hint of tonka. It's surprisingly unisex with tobacco as the dominant note, not as cloyingly sweet as the notes would suggest. The closest blend I can think of to it is Red Lace, which on me is a red-stained tobacco scent. Pussy smells like it could be Orange Lace, a sumptuous, orange honeyed tobacco.

Verdict: It's deep and sweet without being cloying, sexy without being heavy or too complicated. Pussy is eminently wearable and a definite bottle purchase. I LOVE PUSSY. :biggrin:

I got an imp of this in a decant circle.

In the imp and wet on my skin, this is much more floral than I had expected! I am smelling a ton of orange blossom with just a bit of honey and saffron.

As it dries, I am getting a bit of tobacco, but it's still being overpowered by orange blossom, which is becoming a bit soapy. I think this one is not for me. :huh?:

Sniffing the decant I get the feeling of orange blossom honey, a bit of vanilla and the tobacco leaf. Pretty spot on with the description. The brown sugar is not overwhelming as I feared it would be.

This is a nice honey scent. It's not cloyingly sweet. It smells naturally sweet and just a little floral. This would be a lovely scent for a young girl I think. Something about the honey and tobacco reminds me a bit of Door.

This is a fuzzy/cute smelling scent to me at first. It's like clean, springtime floral dipped in sweet honey and sprinkled with brown sugar. It sounds like that would be intensely sweet, but the almost-soapy-clean quality of the florals really cuts down on the sweetness.

As it dries down, the tobacco comes out and adds a hint of dark smokiness. Over time, this starts to get more and more baby powdery, which I don't love, but it's tolerable and the other notes are still very pretty.

It's rare that I find a bpal honey scent that I enjoy, but I like this one. Creamy, honeyed floral and a hint of smokiness, finished off with a dusting of baby powder.

Edited by Little Bird

A very deep, rich, orange blossom honey scent. Usually, with orange blossom, I am used to the scent being 'light'; not light as in weight but as in the opposite of dark. This scent is dark and deep , to me.

Very pleasant honey with orange blossom, it is almost fuzzy feeling and has a rich sweetness that I contribute to the brown sugar. The brown sugar, thank heavens, isn't very present at all but a feeling of it. Like just a bit of the moist stuff was sprinkled on top to add that last little touch.

After drying, it really gets depth from the tobacco leaf and tonka. I don't get any smoke whatsoever but only the slight sweetish, incensey smell of dry tobacco with a back up of creaminess. Sweet but no cloying, deep and rich with that 'light' orange blossom sitting on top, this is a beautiful scent.

I don't like Pussy. When I rub it on my hand, it smells nasty.

SERIOUSLY.

It's very pretty in the bottle. Warm and golden and honey with herbs. Even on initial application, it's a lovely summery herby honey, and a beautiful background whuff of saffron. After ten minutes, it starts smelling funky. I think it's either the tobacco or the brown sugar.

Actually, now that I've let it sit for a while longer, the funk has died off a bit. I think this is something I'll have to revisit in a few weeks or months.

I smell the tonka and honey in the decant (thanks, meaganola :wub2: )

This goes on very sweet,then tobacco peeks right out, but just for a minute. Twenty minutes later, I was getting a metallic smell like I had been handling too many old dirty pots and pans, so I washed my hands (I'm crazy, but I can't stand having dirty hands, lol) but the metallic smell was definitely coming from Pussy.

I reapplied, and 20 minutes later, there was that metallic smell again. After a while, it left. Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who got the metallic scent, I was starting to wonder what happened to my nose.

When I got up this morning, all I smelled was a musky, powdery cozy scent on my arms. :yum: I reapplied again and didn't get any metallic smells today, so will hold on to my decant and give it a fresh try in a couple of weeks.

This has more throw than most BPALs I've tried, and it lasts well. It has more than just the usual powdery scent I get from some other fragrances, it's comforting somehow. I tried to wash it off about 4:30 so I could try another scent, but it lasted through the washing.

I've smelled a lot of honey blends, and on my skin, this one doesn't have anything particularly special going on.

I generally dislike orange blossom as a floral note, it strikes me as sharp and weirdly metallic, and although it's pretty weak here I get some slight echoes of that unpleasant metallic-ness. It is not overly sweet, for a honey blend, and reminds me of the more herbal/floral honeys, like Door or Flower Moon '09. There's something a little dark in the background, maybe the tobacco trying to peek out, but the honey definitely dominates this blend on my skin.

This is not as heady and sweet as I was expecting, which is usually a good thing, but I just don't like the non-honey notes in this blend. I vastly prefer Valse Finale for a floral/herbal honey, which has a lighter honey note in it.

The delicious honey and orange combo makes Pussy smell a lot like Lush's B Never Shower gel - which I freaking adore :wub2: So basically Pussy is my favorite BPAL honey scent to date. The tobacco really adds another dimension to the blend. Fabulous

Nope, nope, nope. No good for me. With the abomination of Orange Blossom Honey I should have known this would smell horrid on me, but I'm too damn stubborn not to try it anyway! The other notes would be a sure-thing, but OBH is making this straight up park-public-restroom scent on me. Can't wash it off fast enough!

A lovely honey scent! But what compelled me to pop in here into the reviews section is that this reminds me tons of<b> Xmvlzencab bath oil</b>-- so anyone who was hoping for something similar as a perfume oil, you will need to try this.

In the bottle, Pussy is almost herbal with a hint of sweet spiciness to it. On me, it's mostly brown sugar and saffron with just a hint of honey and the barest breath of orange blossom. Quite frankly, my dear, I doth love it! :) It's really not sweet, which is astounding, considering it's *brown sugar* of all things.

Wet on my skin, the orange blossom honey is the main note. After 10 minutes, I can still only smell the orange blossom honey. Honey/beeswax tend to amp on my skin like no one's business and bury the other notes. At this point I'm not sure I'll smell the others at all. On the far drydown, the scent does change slightly - it smells now like plasticy orange blossom honey. It's not an improvement.

This is straight out of the mailbox, but I couldn't wait! Wet, it is a very faint honey. Dry, the honey blooms on me. I love the orange blossom note, but have never smelled it as a honey. This is really a nice blend, not too sweet in spite of the honey and brown sugar. I get a bit of smoky musk, which is maybe the tobacco leaf? At any rate I really like this and am glad I went for a 'straight to bottle purchase'. :joy:

In vial: Faintly orangey honey.

Wet: Sparsely sweet honey, a sprinkling of savory saffron.

Dry: Bare traces of aromatic tobacco, and wisps of honey.

Verdict: I was expecting a richer blend, but it's much lighter than I expected. This is very pretty, just so faint! Perhaps aging will deepen it, but there are too many other honey blends that really catch my interest, to go after this one.