Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

GNOME
An explosive blend of effervescent golden ginger and black peppercorn with sarsaparilla, gurjum balsam, nutmeg, gear lubricant, and smoke.

Hot damn! A ginger I can wear!!!!! This smells like a sweet spicy ginger ale with smoke and black peppercorn! I think the sarsaparilla gives it the fizzy kick. I just love it. From wet to drydown...that's all I get. This is pretty good....and also a right day kind of scent....meaning if I wear this on the wrong day...it will make me sick. A little bit goes a long way! blink.gif I am going to have to get a bottle in the next order. I can't wait to play with this one and mix with the other RPG scents!

I *almost* love Gnome. I certainly love the wet stage--amazingly fresh, true ginger and fizzy sarsaparilla, but with a depth to it from the nutmeg and pepper that keeps you from smelling like pure ginger ale. Nice! The smoke and oil notes emerge on the drydown and make Gnome heavier and a little bit too powerful for me. I think I'd really like this if the oil/smoke were not quite so present--that initial ginger blast really is wonderful!

In bottle: Ginger and balsam dominate. I’d say the gear lubricant and spices are a distant second. I can barely find the sarsparilla. This is reminding me of a lot of champagne scents, and smells like carbonation feels. I can tell already this won’t work with my skin chemistry, which doesn’t mean it won’t work for others. Wet: Ginger dominant. The sarsparilla fails to overtake the balsam, but it’s a touch more distinct. Honestly, I love ginger scents, but I think it gangs up with the balsam to to beat most of the other components unconscious. Dry: Mostly balsam.

Gnome! OMG GNOME! You have no idea how excited I am to get this imp!

And ... and ... and ...

All I have is ginger. It's really ginger. It kind of smells like that orange Dial hand soap, on me. I'm really hoping it morphs into something with a little more pepper or sarsaparilla, since those seem to mesh really well with my skin, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's ginger. The ginger in Eau de Ghoul, not sweet at all. It's very woody and sharp(possibly assisted by the black pepper.)

(By the way, layering with Mage does wonders for this, turning it into soft, sweet ginger ale.)

Still, I don't think it's bottle worthy for me.

(2018) Bizarrely I don't get ginger ale any more. It's more gingery spicy baby powder and pine? I am confused but I like it.

Edited by patina

This is strong, spicy ginger. It's not sweet either. In fact, the ginger and pepper combination is practically sinus clearing! There's also a hint of those lubricating oils in the background. Strange...

This is absolute sparkling fizzy ginger ale with sarsaparilla for the first 3 minutes. Then I get a bit of the pepper developing, but still only in the background, in the next 5 minutes.

However after that, the lubricant *i'm guessing* combines with the ginger ale smell, and turns to irish spring soap :/ And thats what I'm left with for the next 2 hours.

Maybe it'll be better layered.. :lol:

I do love the bottle art though! I got the male version, and he looks more menacing and explosive-savy than the one shown on the site XD

In the Vial: My first thought was: Coke! But upon further contemplation, I think it's more Ginger Ale. This is a bright, fizzy, yummy scent - so not what I'd imagine a gnome would smell like! It's a little lemony, a little woodsy, and a little smoky, but the dominant note is by far the ginger.

Wet: The balsam pops out right away, followed by the sarsparilla, bringing down the yumminess of the scent and making it more earthy. And... soapy. Yup, I'm getting the Irish Spring smell, too.

Dry: Almost all soapy balsam now, with a hint of ginger. Quite disappointing.

An Hour Later: On my hand, straight-up rancid butter. On my wrist, completely gone... but up until the point it disappeared, it kept the soapy balsam smell.

Overall: Clearly not for me, but I did get this one for the boyfriend, and not myself, so I'm not too disappointed. Hoping it works better on him!

ETA: It was indeed better on him, and didn't go soapy at all. We layered Gnome with Fighter, and happily Gnome's bubbly ginger wasn't drowned out by Fighter's leather. In fact, the ginger actually grew in strength as the night went on; he started to smell truly fantastic about an hour in. Success!

Edited by imaginepageant

I was a little worried at first because the bottle smelled so ozoney, but my worries were unfounded. Fizzy ginger ale with a hint of pepper and ozone. This is really a nice summer scent!

Gnome smells similar to Polynesian Pop in the bottle and on my skin at first. It's like fizzy citrus soda. Except where Polynesian Pop was smooth and a bit vanilla-y sweet, this has a heavy dose of soap :(. It's like having someone hand you a cold glass of Sprite and then dump a cup of laundry detergent into it. I was excited about the black pepper, woodsy balsam, and smoky metallic part of the scent description... but there's nothing spicy or dark about this scent on my skin.

Sharp citrus soda and heavy soap. I'm majorly disappointed in this scent. :cry:

ETA: With age, this is slightly less soapy. Now it smells like sharp soda fizz, a hint of soap, and a lot of burnt tire rubber. Still really strange and disappointing. Gives me a headache...

Edited by Little Bird

Oh Gnome, you were made for me.

You are sharp ginger, with a great big fizzy kick from the sasparilla, slightly woody undertones and a metallic gleam. You sort of remind me to PP416 prototype and Polynesian Pop.

And I really like you.

I am not sure how well you play with Evil, but I am going to find out.

In the imp, this was all sparkling, fizzy citrus soda.

Wet on me that went straight up lemon Pledge or Dawn dish soap.

Dry down it stayed lemon Dawn dish soap all the way. No hint of smoke, pepper, or anything I hoped this would be on me. This is hands down my least favorite of the RPG scents I've tried. Very disappointing.

POW! Ginger and balsam with sweet sarsaparilla. Very effervescent..like fizzy, not bubbly though. This literally reminds me exactly of fizzing extra strong ginger beer. Super cute. It wouldn't be a go-to scent, but adorable none the less. Drydown is a little more peppery and cologne-like but not too much different!

This is Polynesian Pop! Gnome smells like pure fizzy ginger ale on my skin. I like it a lot but, like Polynesian Pop, it doesn't warrant a bottle for me. This would probably work well as a layering scent (which..er..is probably the point, right? :P)

Wet: Fizzy lemon soda, now with in-your-face fizzing!

Drydown: Okay, maybe more ginger than citrus as it dries. It also loses a lot of the effervescence as a thicker note comes out, which I *think* is the gear lubricant. It reminds me of a much lighter No. 93 Engine at this point.

Dry: It finally melds back together when it dries. A hint of the effervescence remains, along with a sweet spiciness. I can pick out the ginger but not the peppercorn, and the gear lubricant smells a lot like frankincense to me on the drydown. Kind of a complex ginger-ale incense, if that makes any sense. I really, really like this one!

In vial: Ginger, sparkling & bubbly. My nose is tingling!

Wet: It is almost exactly like when you crack open a can of cold ginger ale. The spicy kick of ginger, the slight metallic tinge of the can. I get a bit of smoke as well at this point, and the whole blend is rather strong. Easiy could become overpowering.

Dry: Ultimately there is a faint sickly, oily sweetness present, probably the sarsparilla & 'gear lubricant'. Sarsparilla never does well on me, and the oily bit is slightly nauseating. It reminds me a little bit of that 'Goop-Be-Gone' stuff... smells just like it.

Verdict: I love sniffing it in the vial, but it just doesn't work too well on my skin. Ah well. I will try layering it with some other RPG's and see if that helps at all.

I would not have chosen Gnome for the name (being more of an Elf kind of girl), but the notes sound quite interesting. In the vial, I smell pure, fizzy ginger ale!! On me, Gnome is fun but kind of weird--it stays "fizzy" in the topnotes, but underneath it smells like...motor oil? Yeesh. Guess that's what a fairy gets for straying from her own kind. ;)

I was so very excited about Gnome – and so very disappointed. It's hard to give it a proper review because the only thing my nose is sensing is... horribly strong dish soap? I simply can't get past that association. I will say that this has good staying power, since my skin tends to eat scents, but it is not a very nice smell. I'm going to keep the imp and hope that it lightens up a bit with age, because the description sounded so brilliant, I've got to hold out hope it'll work on me eventually.

This smells like I got motor oil on my hands at the gas station while drinking ginger ale. That fizzy ginger ale from Polynesian Pop is impressively real, but the industrial scents make me feel ill.

Not quite sure how I feel about Gnome yet. I love the fizzy ginger, but the metallic note is a little odd on me. I feel like it's more interesting than it is wearable. Perhaps I'll try layering it with something else.

Carbonated Sprite. The pepper is soft but adds oomph. Delicious. I do not detect any woods. Like IceBlink said, oil emerges in drydown. For me this stage is light and playful, but it limits this scent to a concept scent only. Not what I'd want to be wearing at, say, the end of a date.

Light, fizzy, and playful, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Gnome (since I never play as a Gnome). I got this as a frimp and while I don't know if I will want a bigger bottle of this one, I can see myself enjoying it occasionally especially with summer on the way. I had a friend check it out while I was wearing it and she said she could smell something she described as "dusty", or rather smokey, which I was pleased with since to me I get mostly a sweet fizzy ginger.

Several hours later, its definitely faded, but still there :)

Edit: So I have decided that this one is officially a favourite of mine. Oh Gnome, why must you smell so good on me ...

Edited by captnklaus

It goes on bathroom cleaner and Sprite, almost immediately morphing to Diet Coke + Windex. Which is a spouse repellant and frankly pretty naff. However, there was ... something... so I left it on.

An hour later, it's dried to ginger ale and pepper and a bit of wood and just a bit of herbs and soap. What fascinates me is that periodically it gives off these bubbles of "flowers in a vegetable garden" or "sandalwood and dried cherry oatmeal cookie" and then drops back to ginger ale. It sounds innocent, but the effect is more "hyper-competent (and incidentally, but still appropriately for the office, totally hot) woman of mystery." In this phase, the spouse likes it very well indeed.

Not something to put on when I'm rushing out of the house, but given some time to settle, Gnome is really nice and very versatile.

This is reminding me of a lot of champagne scents, and smells like carbonation feels.

Definately! Smells like peppery ginger soda, perky, bright and mildly explosive :)

I've been loving on my imp for a while; I am so very getting a bottle XD