Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mineralgirl

Hungry Ghost Moon 2011

On the 14th day of the seventh month of the lunar calendar, the Gates of Hell burst open, and ghosts pour forth from the Nine Darknesses into the sunlit world. To placate the dead, Hell Money is burned, offerings are made, and paper boats and floating lanterns are set out to give comfort and direction to wayward spirits. Though many spirits simply seek out the comforts of their former homes and the company of their loved ones, rancorous spirits also roam the streets, seeking revenge on those who have wronged them before, and after, their deaths. Offerings of sweet rice, ginger candy, sugar cane, smoky vanilla and rice wine mingle with a ghost's perfume of white sandalwood, wisteria, ho wood, ti, white grapefruit, and crystalline musk. This scent is tempered by the presence of ten herbs, woods and resins used in the purification of the spirit. Through this scent, we can release ourselves from sorrow and discontentment, unbinding our souls from the chains that shackle us to our baser needs so we may truly understand and experience compassion, empathy, and joy.

This is mainly candied ginger on me! I would categorize it as a gourmand blend and I am not getting a lot of the ghost perfume's sandalwood or flowers. No matter, it is pleasant as it is :)

There is a touch of grapefruit as well, and something warm and creamy underneath that could be the combination of rice and vanilla?

This is so much better than I anticipated it being. In the decant, I get lots of sugary ginger with a nice smoky note. On the skin, a hint of the grapefruit shines through, and there's a slight floral note, which must be the wisteria. It doesn't scream floral, though, and sort of fades into the background and blends into the general sweetness of the blend. It dries down sweet and smoky, and sort of smells like a bowl of sweet rice pudding with candied ginger chunks and a squeeze of grapefruit juice over top. Actually, that sounds delicious, and I want to try making it 🤣 The wood notes are dry, and they go really well with the sweetness of the rest of this. 

Wet: woods, with a musky-dark smokiness over it.
Dry: the hungry ghost ate all of this! there's the faintest wisp of woods and wisteria left on my skin. I applied plenty so that's, uh, definitely interesting. Oh well.

Warm rice granules and grapefruit pulp, sweetened and decorated with flowers petals and candied ginger shreds.

The wet phase (above) is great, and then the rice flees and the flowers amp, and it’s just not something I would reach for… more perfumey that I like.

It does convey a spring festival full of tradition and sidelong glances and fresh breezes.