Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nenia

Hurricane

The Dark Side of Air: a high pitched, tangy, clear scent -- light China rain deepened by murky vetivert.

Finally, an aqautic note that seems to agree with me.

I agree with the lady above who said this smells more post-hurricane. Wet leaves, clean air, wood, salt... it's all there.

Quite lovely.

I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I sniffed this and it smelled like a cheap perfume gone bad. :P Needless to say, it's going to the swaps.

In the bottle: Bleh... not liking this in the bottle. Very acidy and tangy... almost sour smelling. Makes my nose crinkle up.

On my skin: Wet, it's the same as in the bottle. Not good at all. It's better dry, but not by much. Basically it just fades, but stays the same sort of smell. Only it's not so bad when it's not as strong. It's much more of a crisp, clean scent now.

Final Thoughts: I was very prepared to not like this after what it smelled like in the bottle, and when wet I was pretty sure my first instinct was going to stick. But it got a whole lot better as time passes... I don't know that I'll wear this much though.

In the bottle: Weird. Aquatic, but with an vegetable smell, and maybe a hint of... mesquite? It must be the vetiver, but damn. Very odd.

First on: Even more vegetationish. Quite rank. I am beginning to suspect this will not be a keeper but let us see, hm?

Dry: It's okay... but just no. This is for swaps.

In the vial and wet on my skin, the first wiff of Hurricane is one of vegetation and rain. All I can think of when I smell this is camping in Oregon.

As Hurricane dries down, I am still getting a wet, green and woodsy smell but it is starting to turn from camping in Oregon into a secret female scent? I don't know if that makes sense or not but to me there is a hint of female sexuality in this. I don't know how to explain.

Completely dried down, Hurricane is more woodsy vegetation that is wet. The smell after the raging hurricane has passed. The calm after the storm. It has a huge throw and a long wear. I love rainy scents so I will keep an imp but I think it would take me forever to go through a bottle.

In the bottle: A bitter, teary aquatic, hmm! Fresh and lovely.

Wet: Green and bitter vetiver, with salty notes. Smells rain that's freshly fallen on plants. It's also subtly spicy. It's fresh, but it warms up quite a bit to smell like a warm rain.

Drydown: The drydown is very similar to the wet scent, but the vetiver lifts a bit and the teary, salty scent dominates. The vetiver gives it a spiciness and a bit of darkness, in fact it's a rather warm scent because of the vetiver.

Overall: It's truly unisex, and a very beautiful use of the salty tear note and vetiver. Yes, it smells like rain, it's clear, it's fresh, and it's perfect to create the atmosphere of a thunderstorm. I think my skin amps vetiver, so I have to find how to wear it without it going play-doh on me, but it's definitely a keeper.

In the imp: Rain and wet vegetation. This is the scent that lingers after a storm. Heat and humidity. And stillness, as though the beaten down trees and plants were still waiting to make sure it's all really over.

Wet, on skin: Vetiver and aquatic notes. There's something sharp and tangy about it.

Drydown: Huh? As it dries down, it starts smelling like cucumber on my skin. Then celery kicks in. I feel like a plate of vegetables. :P

Bottle: Very vetiver, with a sweet, yet very fresh..something backing it up.

Wet: same

Dry: less sharp with the vetiver, still on the sweet side...not totally off-putting, but really not working. vetiver tends to smell like..very strong, dirty herbs on me.

Later: the vetiver has backed off some, but it's still not working on me in a big way. it's growing steadily sweeter, almost reaching the point where I can really feel it between the eyes, so I'm washing.

I received Hurricane through a sale, and I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure if the aquatic/airy notes would work on my skin. They didn't. I smelled like I was wearing some demented version of "Country Air" or "Fresh Linen" dryer sheets, so off to give away to friends it went!

Hurricane is definitely "high pitched" and "tangy". A bit too much so for my taste. I generally don't like aquatic/rain/ozone scents and this one doesn't appeal to me at all. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just doesn't fit in with my general fragrance preferences. There is something sharp and slightly acrid about the scent, and while it had moderate throw and reasonable staying power, I won't be wearing this again.

In the vial: Crisp, still air.

On me: It's incredible how the Lab has captured the scent of a real hurricane. It truly smells like the downed trees and oddly still air that occurs during the eye of a hurricane.

Verdict: Fantastic blend. I don't wear it very often, but I love it.

Rating: 5/5

Hurricane

I had better luck with Hurricane than with BPAL's other water scents, probably because there are other notes in it stronger and more dominant than the ozone and aquatics, or perhaps simply because the scent is stronger overall, too strong and dark to remind me of some loathed generic sporty fresh scent. Well, it does have a men's deodorant vibe. A very dark men's deodorant. It's that artificial cleanliness I'm just not friends with.

Luckily, Hurricane has enough dirty darkness to save it for me. I seem to recall vetiver, which I usually don't like, but here it's a good dirty, woody, earthy, dark, murky base for the fresh, tangy notes. And those fresh, tangy notes are intense, not citrusy like they often are but rather alcoholic.

Hurricane is, perhaps, a dirtier, darker, stronger version of Comme des Garcons' Dry Clean. A similar alcoholic blast of artificial cleanliness, way to extreme to be your-average-masculine-aquatic. I strongly prefer Hurricane because of that dirtiness that makes it more natural, a bit more of, yeah, a hurricane, and a bit less of a dry clean.

Quite refreshing when it's damn hot like it is right now. Weird and dark enough to be a keeper.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, an unexpected sweetness comes out in the drydown. I don't mind. It only takes it farther from the men's hygiene-department.

Edited by Caltha

This blend was very clean and watery, with a touch of a darker, almost smoky note--almost like a darker version of City in the Sea. On my skin, it turns into fresh laundry and antiseptic. Yech.

Hmm. I can see how this scent can get mixed reviews. On first application, it's a very strong but light scent. I definitely get a rain note, but there's a boggy, drowned herbal note that almost overpowers the rain. It's perfectly matched to its name--wet and dark and evocative. For me, it's not a comfortable scent to wear, but it's definitely note-perfect in tone.

In the imp: soaking wet wood and damp, cold, stinging rain.

On me, wet: man, this is so much like the woods near my parents' home in a storm. Rain, wind, a turbulent river, and lots of fallen rotting wood to stumble over.

On me, dry: The storm has wound down a little - the woods have settled from being churned up by the rain, and the air feels fresher and cleaner.

Verdict: Insanely evocative. I'm unlikely to wear this but it evokes those wet woods so strongly that I'll keep it around to sniff at when I feel homesick.

A clear aquatic but with a hint of - nut. I know it's vetiver but it seems almost nutlike to me. That nut is what stops it from being incredibly refreshing in the heat and humidity. A lovely scent, but Lightning is a better aquatic for me.

I will let Hurricane grow on me though.

So, this Hurricane. There is the heavy scent of water, dark water. It is not falling water, but rather latent and almost explosive, pregnant wet air, while overhead the clouds are roiling, that bruised purple green that is so dangerous you can't stop looking at it. There is not wind like you would expect with a storm. It is just before the clouds burst and you are drenched.

It would be absolutely incredible if one could layer it with the smell of searing wet wind. What blend is that?

I have had a headache all day while wearing this, just a low grade nagging, but I am not sure it is the scent causing it, and not at all sure it isn't. This scent belongs to Neptune, and he can certainly put on the pressure!

I like it though, I really really like it.

In the imp: Aquatic. Definitely fits the description.

On the wrist, wet: Water, yay! Hopefully this doesn't go all wonky on me like Tempest and Bayou did. Very clean smelling. Astringent, but very slightly. Reminds me of the open showers at some East Coast beaches, a collision of sea water and air with fresh water and clean skin. Lovely.

On the wrist, dry: Hmph. This is going slightly urinal on me. A little portapotty. Bugger.

Final Analysis: I love ozone and water scents, but they don't seem to love me. I will try this as a room scent in the oil burner before I give up and swap it. Here's hoping it works that way and I can keep it.

Hurricane

It starts out as citrus, then becomes aquatic and murky. The end result is a soft light floral. Nice, but not me.

Oddly enough, this is the first of the Dark Elements that I've tried, even though I've found the concept fascinating since I saw it the very first time I perused the Lab site! Aquatics tend to be too "masculine" on my skin, unless blended w/ floral as in City in the Sea, but here goes. The China Rain note is really cool--very fresh and evocative. However, it evaporates almost at once and leaves nothing but vetiver, a note I dislike. Too bitter, heavy, and yes, masculine for me. I can definitely see how this evokes, first, heavy rain, and then morphs into rotting wood. It's a really clever narrative of a scent, but not my taste.

ETA: Oh great. As an added bonus, now I have The Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricane" stuck in my head. *facepalm*

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue swap.

Hurricane is one I'm sniffing in the bottle. It is a sharpish aquatic, a type of scent that usually doesn't fare well on my skin. Very brash with a deep note, probably vetivert.

Safe travels little imp!

straight sniff from imp is aquatic vetivert.... :P

once applied the ocean comes to mind...with very mind boggling incense...

this is a dude's scent .... ah, but i like it too :D

big bottle? nah...

but i will cherish this little imp :D

Hurricane is definitely very evocative of its name. Someone else described this as "wet woods right after a storm", and I think that's right on. Very crisp, but also very woodsy. I'm getting less of the rain and more of the vetiver the longer this is on.

This has a *ton* of throw, too - I get more from this than almost anything else I've tried.

I don't know yet that I'll keep this imp - I think it's also one of those that will smell better on the Mr. than on me. I want to try it on him before deciding.

I enjoyed the China rain note, but what I assume is the vetiver (vetivert?) takes on a harsh and quite chemical tone on my skin. Possibly like unscented nail polish remover? It's hard to compare it to anything.