Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nenia

Hurricane

The Dark Side of Air: a high pitched, tangy, clear scent -- light China rain deepened by murky vetivert.

1246919776_W7Cve-Ti.jpg

I loved this blend the moment I sniffed the lab frimp way back when, earlier in my BPAL membership. I knew it was bottle-worthy immediately, and didn't want to slowly accumulate imps to decant into a rollerball.

In fact, Hurricane is responsible for my slowly burgeoning love affair with the Lab's vetivert note. I am totally fascinated with the deep, husky smokiness of it, and how it affects the other notes in blends in which it's found. In Hurricane, the "China Rain" note mentioned is so wonderfully light and sweet, it's hard to believe it is paired with the harsher vetivert, but it is to a wonderful effect. On my skin, the vetivert is uppermost, but the rain's underlying sweetness is what makes this blend so special for me. The throw is medium, and though others have mentioned how quickly it fades on them, on me it lasts a good 2-3 hours and in my Triple Dagger locket it lasted all day. 4 of 5 stars for Hurricane.

Edited by stellans

A lovely gift Frimp- thank you wonderLab! :wub2:

Imp: ohhhh lovely! I can't pick out a single perfume or oil note. But it smells like our old large yard with the old wood shed and lily gardens and mature oaks and pines after a hurricane has gone through; tangy ozone air, damp earth, deep green beaten and broken vegetation, old wood and iron and debris kicked up and thrown down by the storm. Very intriguing!

Initial: RAID!!!! ARGH!!!!! Had to wash off immediatly. Didn't get it all off (and must have a drop near my puter) and am getting whiffs of nasty nasty nasty nasty (I *loath* Raid) Raid bugspray hours later. I must have been a nasty bug in a previous life, because Raid is one of the most laothsome smells to me- ever.

Impressions: usually I"m a vetivert-wearing fool, but there is something in this that completely clashes with my body chemistry. I admit to having no clue what "China Rain" alludes to, although it appears to be a known perfume blend type? I once had a friend come over and he smelled exactly like he picked up a can of Raid by mistake instead of deodorant or something... I was too mortified to mention it. Perhaps he was wearing this note and didn't pick up on the Raid-smell? Perhaps he DID pick up a can of Raid and was too muzzy headed to notice? Whatever. Raid= BAD anyway you slice it. This one is a locket smell I guess, it smelled really great in the imp.

Sweet and dark with strong vetiver. Very o-zoney on application - sharp and strong - but calms down quickly to a mellow vetiver. I wouldn't describe this as 'watery' as the description suggests with the rain, but more the scent of everything a hurricane plows up in its wake. I only really recommend this if you like vetiver as it's mainly that. It's a much cleaner version of BPALs vetiver, but vetiver nonetheless.

6/10. I like vetiver but I like it WITH something and have too much vetiver already... passing it onto the man who will love it!

this is a really masculine blend, i think. :eek: extremely extremely woody, this is such an authentic woody scent. i've never been a big fan of vetiver which is probably why i'm not loving this scent. i don't get much of the china rain which is a pity because it means that my quest for a rain scent is still unfinished.

i really wanted to love this but it's just not meant to be. :(

Got this as a frimp in a recent lab order, giving it a try now that Stardust didn't work the greatest on me.

In the imp, this is smelling like my first impression of Voodoo - deep, woodsy. Uh-oh. And it's smelling like that on my skin, too. Something tells me that vetivert may not be working so well on me...

Augh. It smells almost exactly like Voodoo, which means that the vetivert's pretty much dominating here. Sadface. Wanted this to work so badly. To the swaps with you!

Edited by Venneh
Removed Lab description --Shollin

in the imp: A strong, astringent green with a hint of aquatics. It's strong and bubbling for more room

Wet: sharp, green, medicinal scent. A tiny bit of spice underneath. At first smells a bit like deodorant, but lightens quickly.

Drydown: early, I get that tang that is described. It's lovely but rather masculine. It does certainly invoke a storm. Powders as the dry-down continues. There's a bit of throw, I can smell it as I move around and I only did a small imp-swipe. I do almost get a rotten note, but not sure.

Dry: THe green really comes out to play and the aquatic note lets it have some fun while hanging around the sidelines. I was wondering why it said "chinese rain" but...you might laugh...this is what that pond in Mulan must have smelled like, or the camp on a misty morning. It really does smell the way I imagine the wild parts of china in pictures.

Conclusion: I think this is one of those scents I plan to reserve for getting into character. It's masculine, but that's fine for RP. It's not a "me" scent though.

To me this really evokes the sinister nature of a hurricane rather than all the water and washed-up earth, grass etc. I get light aquatics with a deep, smoky vetiver that definitely brings visions of dark clouds to mind. Gorgeous :wub2:

In the imp: Herbs, wet dog and cold water.

Wet: Men's cologne. Cheap men's cologne.

Dry: Men's cologne and brass polish. Clearly, this does not mix well with my chemistry.

Hours later: A long time later there is just a bit of ozone and wetness. Cold. Like storm winds. It is finally nice, but it is not worth the hours of waiting for it to become nice with my chemistry. Might smell nice on a guy though.

After living in a hurricane-prone region for a couple years, I totally get this. It's difficult to describe, but to me it smells watery, but dirty. I'm getting a strange, somewhat mentally smell beneath. Not my thing, but I totally get it. Neat!

fresh from the lab. THIS ONE HAS TO AGE. the vetiver is so screaming that to be honest, that's all that it is. i'm sure that this will be nice once it's calmed down a little.

Ok-full disclosure here-I can't stannnnd vetiver. It is my least favorite scent ever and I have yet to find a blend with that note in it that I can take.

BUT, my goal is to test every GC ever and I got this one as a lab frimp, so in the name of science, I am going to give it a shot!

As expected, in the imp this is omg vetiver. That's all I can smell. Ok, maybe a little bit of a colongney scent under that but 95% vetiver.

Ok, on my skin it's still pretty much vetiver-rama. I still get a hint of an ozoney/cologne note under the vetiver, but yeah...vetiver!!!!

Not much else to say without sounding like a broken record! Like vetiver? Definitely get yourself an imp of this!

I got this from the swap board, one of the first imps I've tried, and it's my favorite by far. I just love it. Looking above, I guess it's the vetiver. I've never smelled that before. But it reminds me of ocean water and decaying vegetation, in a good way. It smells 'clean' despite of it.

The only sad part is that it's completely gone before two hours, max. Most of my others I can still smell a bit after wearing for 8 hours or more.

I got this as a frimp, and I'm glad I did. It's gorgeous!

^_^

While wet, there's a faint component of this that smells exactly like some raw ingredient I've cooked with a few times. I can't quite place it, but I think it might be raw lotus root--a very gentle, wet, starchy sort of scent. I wish I could remember for sure!

Anway, this isn't so much an aquatic scent as it is a damp scent, more after the hurricane than during it. It is gentle and fresh but with an underliying earthiness that rounds it out and gives it body. A very natural type of scent, not perfumey or dramatic, perfect for day wear and low-key occasions.

In the imp: Enticing and a little dramatic-smelling.

Wet: A fresh clean smell (the rain) dragged down a bit by something unsettling (the vetivert).

Drydown: Meep. The rain smell is being totally overwhelmed now.

Later: Eh. I like it better after it sits for a while, but it's still not great on me. That's OK—there are other aquatics out there!

:::HURRICANE:::

As difficult a fragrance as Vetiver was to reconcile with initially, the Lab has been a patient and insightful tutor; fine-tuning the various facets from which this note can be appreciated, and spirit-guiding through this fragrant journey with expertise and finesse.

Hurricane is described as the Dark-side of Air... The anticipation is acute!

Well, hello, Vetiver, indeed! China Rain is not a very familiar note, but it seems subtly aquatic and neutrally floral... Whatever it is, it does a nice job of putting a bejeweled muzzle on the brunt of Vetiver's menace.

This fragrance doesn't seem to awfully high-pitched; it seems more like a building roar that vibrates in the deeps of your chest.

On the skin, Hurrican does become dark and blustery.

The Vetiver keeps the sky in fungal palette while the other notes are a good representative of swirling, raging air currents.

Hurricane swoops into the room with an air of foreboding.

This one demands respect.

Good for him.

4/5

In the imp: VETIVER!!! :thud:

Very strong and harsh.

Drying on my skin: The vetiver mellows down and something sweet underneath makes it's way through.

Throw and staying power: Strong throw, had to wash it off

Colour impression: muddy brown

Verdict: This scent is very realistic: Sharp rain, broken trees, lots of mud. A big wet chaos.

Very interesting concept, but not for me as a perfume.

Hmmm I decided to try this finally since I have gotten it as a frimp with my last 3 orders I think. Why tempt the prefume gods. This is vetiver in the extreme to start. In the middle too for that matter. Once it finally dries it smells excatly how I think it would tp be standing in the middle of a hurricane. There is a clear ozone and aquatic scent over the top of the vetiver now to kind of rein it in.

Not my kind of scent but glad to say see I did it

A frimp from perclexed that came with my eBay purchase; then the Lab sent me another frimp with my order. Thanks ^^

In imp: Smoky, a bit medicinal. Reminds me a lot of a eucalyptus oil-based medicinal rub from my childhood.

On skin: This is all vetiver, with the ozone/aquatic/rain nowhere to be found. Smoky, astringent, dry, with a slight charcoal feeling. It's so smoky and astringent that it smells almost clean. The scent gradually burns off over time, and after a few hours the vetiver is settled enough to actually be pleasant. But it's not worth enduring the initial burn-off.

Verdict: Although the vetiver becomes pleasant after a few hours, Hurricane is not anything to be wearing, especially since there's no trace of ozone/rain in it. I'm starting to realize I can only handle vetiver in small quantities or more complex blends. To swaps.

In the bottle: Medium yellow oil. Fruity dirt.

Wet: Incredibly clean, nose-clearing, minty fruity dirt. The clean note makes me feel sort of lightheaded when I smell it. Also, my third eye tingles.

Dry: This is like a roller coaster for my nose. Smelling it makes me feel very clear headed and somewhat jumpy and excitable, as if I can sense a storm coming. I'm getting that minty tinge again... that must be the vetivert, in which case I think I have just determined that I like vetivert.

After a few minutes: So fresh, clean, rainy and tangy OMG MINTY VETIVERT DANCEPARTY ON MY ARM with a hint of clean soil.

After first hour: When I sniff my wrist I am suddenly starting to taste something medicinal and soapy in my mouth.It smells familiar, but I can't place it. Aha, Vaseline Intensive Care original lotion, from back in the 1980s/1990s before they (possibly) changed the formulation and smell.

After two and a half hours: More Vaseline Intensive Care lotion.

After 5 hours: Lotion.

Final verdict: Trying this was a very interesting experience, especially considering how lively and perky this made me, as well as the interesting scent memory it triggered, but this isn't something I would wear.

Hurricane

In the vial: Vetiver.

Wet: Still predominantly vetiver, but a hint of something almost sweet and clean. How bizarre. Who knew you could make dirty, stinky, earthy vetiver also smell aquatically clean?!

Drydown: Mainly vetiver.

Verdict: I'm always glad to try any BPAL blend, but this one, unsurprisingly, doesn't do much for me. My nose doesn't like vetiver much, and my skin chemistry doesn't make magic with the note, either.

To me this smells wet, plain and simple. But like a black wet. A wet piece of the color black. -_-; I actually really like it. It doesn't morph much on my skin and remained smelling exactly as it did in the imp. Of course, when I was wearing it, a girl next to me said she kept smelling cleaning supplies and I really hope it wasn't this! To me, this is a definite favorite though. ^^

In the vial I can smell pine tar and alcohol and what I assume to be china rain.

One it's on my skin it smells like dryer sheets. As it dries out a sweet and salty undertone starts to come out, but it continues to smell like dryer sheets by the sea side. It's very unusual, and I quite like it.

It's very different. It smells like my favorite word - "petrichor" - the smell after the rain. I enjoy the notion that this is the smell of a hurricane after it's ripped through and savaged an area. It seems to be fading so quickly on my skin, though - it's hard to smell it unless I am right up on my wrists and seems to be fading already, maybe 10 minutes after the first application. :( A shame, because otherwise I'd be buying a bottle - I do like it very much!

baby wipes and vetiver at first. It mellows to a decent aquatic, a little more floral seeming than lightning. To me this reads like a feminine (almost elderly) aquatic, despite the vetiver. Not my speed.