Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Prototype, unreleased, no scent description.

In all the hustle and bustle of the last few months, I neglected to review a lot of my trunk show oils from the 6th Clearing Out the Cobwebs!

I think I initially passed up on this scent, but after a bit of the craziness died down at Dark Delicacies I was able to resniff a lot of blends, this being one of them. From my quick resniff I proclaimed this was a sweet woody scent. I thought I was picking up a cocoa-esque note from it, but as I skin test it I don't really get that at all. In fact, I do believe I know what this maaaay be - a prototype from the Urban Outfitters collaboration? The coded name would seem to suggest it could be, and truth be told this is like a less sweet version of Banshee Beat. I would bet they share some common notes!

This one definitely has some cedar in it because I get that woody, slight-just sharpened pencil that I typically get from cedar. There's a slight sandalwood undertone to this cedar note though. There's a bit of cocoa in there as well, and would agree with Midnight_Aeval that this seems like a less sweet version of Banshee Beat. It's aged pretty well though. Medium throw, and medium wear length.

Thirding the idea of this being an Urban Outfitters prototype / unreleased cousin of Banshee Beat. The meat of it is that gnarly, gritty hippy patchouli, but where BB is softened by vanilla, this one is roughened at the edges - it's like comparing hot chocolate mix to pure, unsweetened Dutched cocoa.

Speaking of cocoa, I can get a black cocoa husk or cocoa powder in there. I also get tiiiiny bit of vetiver pungency (but only when wet - it vanishes on drydown) and something like the "stone" or "concrete" accord - which, taken together, are giving me a "Streets of Detroit" vibe.

Drydown is just that gritty patch and ethereal dry, blond wood notes (possibly cedar, possibly a light sandalwood). I finally get some vanilla in the finish - just enough to fuzz up the edges, though; it never emerges as a distinct note.

So, somewhat-less-sweet patch-heavy Banshee Beat / Streets of Detroit, plus some other wood or resin binding it together. I definitely recommend seeking out a decant if that intrigues you! It smells like something that will age (or already has aged) very well.

Edited by bheansidhe