Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
boxinghelena

Chokecherry Honey

So, apparently chokecherry is closley related to the black cherry. In the past I've stayed away from cherry scents but they tend to work on my skin so I've been seeking them out here & there.

This is an odd one on me though. I can smell the cherry but there's something trying to push its way in front of it, something green, maybe something herbal/astringent. I just looked up the word "astringent" on wiki and wouldn't you know, chokecherry is listed as one of the fruits with astringency caused by tannins which is bitter. I think that's what is making it an odd smell on me, the bitterness is coming out.

I'm on the fence about this one. I'm going to let this sit for awhile.
~

Definitely cherry and honey!! And thick, sweet cherries. This feels very "pink" to me. Will be trying this again for a full day for sure!

Cherry, honey and a whiff of herbal florals. It's more cherry/honey on wet, but as it dries some of the herbal bitterness seeps through, tempering the sweetness of the honey.

Chokecherry Honey - There are TONS of chokecherry's in this region of the country, and their blossoms are so stunningly beautiful that I couldn't wait to try this. It smells amazing in the vial. It smells like cherry blossoms and the tiniest hint of sweet cherry juice, plus tons of honey. In fact, the first time I tried it, it smelled so amazing that I slathered it all over. As soon as it touched my skin, it morphed into Tide soap. I REEKED of Tide. And then it morphed again into ... cannibis? My husband came upstairs and said, "It smells like pot up here," and I knew exactly why, because I smelled it all over me. And then it started to settle down and the honey came out more, but when I sniff up close, it definitely smells like a pot/honey scent. I kind of like it in weird way that's nostalgic of my youth, but it's definitely not what I was expecting.

Wet, this is making me thirsty. It smells like a cherry slurpee. Dry, much the same, though a trace of a dusty note is coming out, but it's still juicy cherry. I get no honey, but maybe it'll come out later. The dustiness ruins this blend for me, but otherwise it's a lovely (though candy fake) cherry.

In bottle: Rich cherry scented honey. Wet: This is the cherry scent that smells least like cough syrup on me. I know this sounds like faint praise, but it is literally the only cherry related scent that didn’t go instantly nasty on me. As it warms, the cherry smells more like tart true cherry, and the honey rises in a wave. It’s maybe not a scent I’d pick to where often, but it is lovely, and it’s clearly the cherry scent for people who normally don’t do well with cherry. Dry: Perfectly balanced honey and cherry, almost creamy in it’s affect. I can’t believe how good this smells on me.

This was a frimp from BPAL.

In the imp: The first thing I notice is the scent of honey, then my nostrils are hit with the much stronger and super-sweet smell of hard cherry candies.

On me, wet: The same two scents, but now they are equal in strength.

On me, drydown: The excessive sweetness and the candy-ness dissipate rapidly as it dries, leaving behind a much more complex and intriguing fragrance. I can still clearly identify cherry, but now it's blended in with other more sophisticated notes so that the overall impression is no longer so fruity. Is it my imagination, or do I smell a whiff of florals and an even fainter hint of something incense-ish - amber, maybe?

After 1 hour: The cherry candy has come back for a curtain call, but since the scent is weaker now, its not too obnoxious.

After 3 hours: 100% honey, gentle and utterly realistic - gorgeous! I must have been mistaken about the amber, since on me that's usually the longest-lasting note in a blend.

Verdict: I don't normally care for fruity scents on my body (although I like them fine as air fresheners.) But this one is complex enough to not be teenybopper or overly foody. I like! I wouldn't wear it to a formal occasion, but I think it would be fine for work if applied sparingly. I never thought I'd say that about a fruity perfume!

My rating: 4

Chokecherry Honey smells mainly of cherry kool-aid powder - dry, powdery, tart. I usually don't like honey, but the honey here softens the tart cherry and makes the scent smell sort of pink and fluffy. It's a sweet and girly scent that's pleasant and cheery, but I'm not sure I'd ever actually wear this. I think it's a bit too sweet and simple for me. Still, it's a fun scent.

Chokecherry Honey really does smell like a mix of cherry and honey. My boyfriend says he likes it because it reminds him of the smell of cherry chapstick, which is a nostalgic scent for him. It's more nuanced than that, obviously, but it does share some elements. There's a slight bitter or astringent note here that's very faint and gives it a little bit of edge.

I received Chokecherry Honey as a frimp from the lab.

I tend to be wary of the lab's honey note as it is always very "high" on my skin, so much so that it doesn't really smell like honey at all but more like a bright amber-and-citrus note.

But this combination is a winner on my skin. This is smooth, sultry, real honey like a mouthful straight from the jar. I don't get any cherry (or cherry cough syrup), but there is a juicy red tartness under the honey that is quite decadent and balances out the sweet honey.

And it lasted forever: After a hectic ten-hour day I could still smell it on my ears and neck when I flipped my hair.

I am drowning in Christmas frimps and I love it.

In the imp: WANT. Delicious sweet cherries and honey. Two of my favorite tastes, kind of sexy together, oh goodness yes come here.

On me, wet: Oh sweet lord it got angry. I somehow forgot after one incident with roll-on perfume waaaaaaay back that cherries turn into wood on me for some reason! This was half an hour of really delicious honey and ANGRY CHEMICAL FOREST yelling into my nose.

On me, dry: Subtle yummy honey and...trees? I like it as a smell, but I guess on me it wasn't what I was going for. I'm keeping the imp, though, because I swear I've tried it before and it kept the original smell and turned out really sexy. If it doesn't work out I honestly might be motivated to get a scent locket.

I really hope cherries don't do this every time, I have an imp of Blood Kiss in the mail!

In the imp: Sweet cherries - very ripe - and honey.

Wet: A mix of cherries, cherry blossom and honey. Nice.

Dry: Yep. Very fruity, kinda sour.

In the imp: Cough syrup sweetened with honey.

On skin, wet: Now it kind of wavers between cough syrup and a more pleasant cherry note.

On skin, dry: No more cough syrup! Sweet cherry all the way. No distinct honey feel, as such, but it softens and sweetens the cherry nicely.

After an hour: Same as the initial drydown. This is lovely, and is going on my Cherry Deathmatch list.

It's funny, as soon as I see Cherry Cough Syrup! in a review, I know I am going to love it. I got this as a frimp, and put it on one night driving around, and I totally fell in love. This smells like perfect cherry incense, and it does not turn to powder. Heaven. I went home and ordered a bottle.

The only honey I really loved before this was Crib Girls.

This scent sounds like it's a little different for me than others, but I LOVE IT.

It definitely has the chokecherry smell to it, a little sweet, and the honey is more sultry than I expected. I also got this big burst of spiciness - like almost incense, but not headachey. It's almost something I would want to spike my ginger ale with! I definitely like it a lot!

In the imp, this is a sort of light cherry blossom scent.

This almost turned me entirely off it, because florals never work well for me, no matter how lovely some of them are. But, I perservered, because I'm determined to try all these honeys. Boy, am I glad I did.

Wet on skin, this is SOUR cherry, and maybe a little metallic Almost like opening a can of (no syrup added) sour cherries.

At first, it's not sweet at all, no honey apparent, just sour cherries and... bitter almond? Weird, cherry pits often smell of that, so.

Aha, honey, there you are.

As it dries, the honey comes out to play more, and brings back a little cherry blossom note. But my brain's telling me this is the smell of cherry flavoured dental alginate. Almost exactly. Weird. Not the greatest scent association.

After an hour or so... it's now the smell of the cherry car air fresheners from the early 80's. I haven't smelled one like them since then, but my goodness, scent associations can be so strong, and this is now reminding me of the "Wild Cherry" air freshener my brother had hanging in his oh-so-awesome Buick Regal back in 1980. And he had it hanging in there because he didn't want our parents to know he was smoking sweet cigarellos, so... there may be a little of that mixed in, but my brain's telling me this is Exactly That Smell.

It's a keeper, if only for that walk down memory lane. And it really is a lovely cherry scent.

In the imp, this is a sort of light cherry blossom scent.

This almost turned me entirely off it, because florals never work well for me, no matter how lovely some of them are. But, I perservered, because I'm determined to try all these honeys. Boy, am I glad I did.

Wet on skin, this is SOUR cherry, and maybe a little metallic Almost like opening a can of (no syrup added) sour cherries.

At first, it's not sweet at all, no honey apparent, just sour cherries and... bitter almond? Weird, cherry pits often smell of that, so.

Aha, honey, there you are.

As it dries, the honey comes out to play more, and brings back a little cherry blossom note. But my brain's telling me this is the smell of cherry flavoured dental alginate. Almost exactly. Weird. Not the greatest scent association.

After an hour or so... it's now the smell of the cherry car air fresheners from the early 80's. I haven't smelled one like them since then, but my goodness, scent associations can be so strong, and this is now reminding me of the "Wild Cherry" air freshener my brother had hanging in his oh-so-awesome Buick Regal back in 1980. And he had it hanging in there because he didn't want our parents to know he was smoking sweet cigarellos, so... there may be a little of that mixed in, but my brain's telling me this is Exactly That Smell.

It's a keeper, if only for that walk down memory lane. And it really is a lovely cherry scent.

I hate cherry, and I’m not wild about honey, so I didn’t have high hopes for this one. It’s actually not that bad. Smells as much floral as anything else, with a hint of cherry cough medicine. But yeah, unsurprisingly, not at all for me.

Edited by bellumed

In the bottle - A soft herbal honey

Wet on me - A kind of cherry flavoured tune type scent but without the medical edge

Dry on me - A soft dry incensy honey

Overall - Gorgeous, my only complaint is that it's a teensy weensy bit faint in the dry down. It's a long time since I've been this blown away by a blend. I must have a bottle

• ITI: That's some really strong honey bucket honey right there. there's a bit of over ripe almost fake cherry note in there too, but the honey is just easy too strong.

Wet: The cherry is a lot longer on my wrist and I am so happy about that. It actually remind me now of the dark cherry kool aid I use to have as a kid. They go very is less port a potty and more sugary, so I actually find this decent.

Dry: It's sweet and flowery like honey dusting powder and cherry blossom. It's much nicer than I had anticipated.

177: CHOKECHERRY HONEY
GC: Rappaccini's Apiary
-no notes listed-

Received from lab 31 July 2014

In bottle: Juicy cherry, rich honey, and a hint of stemmy green. I hope this stays sweet on my skin.

Wet: Sweet, dark cherry and honey. The greenness is gone for the moment. Nice!

Dry down: Still a lovely dark cherry, but it's fading very fast.

Dry: This is now just a vague sweetness on my skin - all the juicy sweet-tart cherry is gone. Dang.

This is really lovely and fruity in the imp and would probably make a good room scent, but it just fades way too fast on my skin (within an hour or so). No need for a bottle.

3/5

A BPAL frimp

In the bottle: This smells like cherry cordial, which is almost Cherry Nyquil, but far more pleasant.

Wet: Candy, but with an edge, and the warm golden honey that I have come to love.

Dry: Cherries and honey, honey and cherries. There is that sharp note that keeps this from being too candy-sweet and makes this a wearable scent for me. In fact, it makes me smile whenever the scent wafts past my nose.

Wet: Strong honey, similar to the honey note in O on me. A 'hint' of cherry that reads more like almond (my nose has issues differentiating those two, for whatever reason) and something a little bit green or herbal, and almost sinister underneath.

Dry: Nice, actually. Honey, hints of cherry, but also something herbal and green. Not cloying or too sweet. I do have other honey blends I like better, but this is nice too.

In the imp: cherry cough syrup

Wet: Cherry syrup. Mostly lost that medicinal, astringent quality. Smells like cherry fruit snacks now.

Dry: A nice light cherry scent, sweetened by honey.

Overall: a simple and sweet scent, but cherries are not my cup of tea.

This was a frimp as I would not choose this for myself. It is a girly perfume. The cherry reminds me of cough syrup (when sniffing from the imp) and I detect no honey. Putting it on my skin I detect the honey and the cherry becomes less synthetic. It is actually quite a pleasant fragrance if you want to smell fruity. The honey really warms up the tart of the fruit. It lasted on me for about 10 hours and it was detectable by those around me, "I smell something yum!" they said. If you like sweet, fruity, happy scents go for this one. If you prefer something darker and slightly depressing, this is not your jam.