Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lush, velvet-red blooms born from the blood shed in the eternal battle between Set and Horus the Avenger. Inspired by Tammy Roth.

Wet in the imp this smells like bubblegum. When first applied it smells like a lighter bubblegum with a hint of spice. It's fairly light and not very strong on me. It reminds me of Harlot but without the rose note. This develops a nice floral sweetness on the dry down. This is nice but not a "must have more of" for me.

Bottle (Imp): Oooh, beautifully sweet. Must be the lotus.

Just On: Yummmm. A candy sweet scent.

An hour or two later: Hmm, it's still sweet, but something else seems to be coming out.

Around 6 hours: Oh no! My skin seems to be making this into soap! Ahhhhh!

12 hours: It faded down into soap, so this looks like a room scent for me.

Overall: I loved the way it started, but my skin ruined it, so I guess this is one of those ones I'll buy as a room scent. It's awesome, just can't be something I wear on my skin.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get the cherry scent, it was more of a candy sweetness.

In the bottle:

Lotus. Sweet, thick, bubblegum smell

On me:

There isn't much to say about this scent that hasn't already been said by everyone else. What most other people have said about this, is pretty dead on to what I think too. Lotus + Dragon's Blood. I don't hate lotus, but I don't think it really works well with me either. I'm not fond of that bubblegum fruity floral effect it has. It's pretty much just lotus on me too, until a bit later when that dragon's blood, resiny woodsy smell comes around. But it's too faint for me to truly enjoy much.

Final note:

Lotus fans will probably like this, but it just didn't come off as complex enough for me and was too much straight up lotus. I will probably try to give the imp to my sister in law who loves fruity florals, but will keep the imp if she doesn't want it. No bottle in my future though.

at first: the lab tossed this in as a freebie in my order. lotus, lotus, lotus! actually, this is the firt blend in which i've smelled the "bubble gum" note from lotus that people often mention. very nice.

on: lovely! a very fruity lotus scent. very sweet and light.

5 hours later: a soft, vaguely fruity floral.

overall: this was just ok, so my imp will find a new home.

In the Bottle: The sweet scent of Dragons Blood with Lotus.

Wet: The lotus comes out strong with a hint of sweet Dragons Blood in the back

Dry Down: I am losing some of the sweetness otherwise the same notes are still here.

Overall very similar to in the bottle very nice if you like Dragons Blood Blends

Ahhh, lotus and dragon's blood, what a fantastic combination. It's smooth and floral while at the same time corrupted by the incense of the dragon's blood. It's feminine, but strong as well as sexy. This makes me want to go buy every dragon's blood oil bpal makes. I love it, so glad a friendly forumite gave me this as a freebie! :P

extremely sweet fruity and dragon's blood upon application and very strong....lingers that way on me as well....hmmmmm :D

do it detect the teensiest hint of civet?? :P

i think so...just a tad .... sadly this is just not for me :D

I hate you lotus. Why do you ruin everything for me?

In the bottle, this started out promising. Is that what dragon's blood smells like? It's thick and sweet and rich, and despite my misgivings about the lotus, I have high hopes.

First on: Oooh, sweet. Undefinably sweet. I can't even classify it. It's fruity and floral and just nice. I spilled a bit when I opened the imp because it was practically glued shut, so wiped whatever was on my fingers onto my other wrist.

From the thin-coated wrist.. argh! It's the nasty soap-lotus smell! I seriously get the image of rancid walnut shells in soap. Nasty. The thicker-coated wrist is still ok.

Within 15 minutes all I smell is the lotus, and the dragon's blood occasionally creeps through, but it's all lotus-lotus-lotus. Lotus hates me.

In the end, this smelled like a really bad, sweet almond floral soap gone nasty. I had to scrub it off after an hour because it was making me nauseous. Plus, the smell of it mixed with the pumpkin bread I was trying to eat was very much Not Good either. (Sadly, the traces of it mixed with the pink liquid soap they put in office restrooms actually isn't that bad.)

Off to swaps for you!

Wet, Blood Lotus is bubblegum (lotus) and musk. I don't actually pick up any dragon's blood; I think it's lost in the lotus.

As it dries, it fades to sweet musk. I don't pick up any spiciness at all. For me, not a keeper.

At first, this reminds me of a cross between BPAL’s wine note when it’s wet and the fruit bubblegum scent that many others have mentioned.

The dragon’s blood pops out before the lotus, which amps up the berry candy quality to this blend. I can detect the lotus, though it’s almost sticky like gum while you’re first chewing it. Strange image there, but it’s what comes to mind.

After a while, it gains a powder quality that makes me think of Sweet Tarts. I enjoy each component in this oil and think they work well together. However, it’s far too sweet a scent for me to wear. It’s positively pure candy and doesn’t deviate from that in the least as far as I can tell.

It does lighten significantly, making it a terrific flirtatious summer fragrance. I’d rather let someone else give it a go, though. I'm glad to have tried it out, at the very least!

In the imp: Sweet lotus smell with fruity undertones. Sort of yummy, sexy-sweet. Very positive initial reaction.

On me: This takes me back to the 1970's (so I'm not as young as most of y'all) and a record store/head shop/vegetarian cafe in my college town. Lotus incense, wood floors and sweet, fruity wine. Very, very retro, but in a rather pleasing way. I am pleased that the lotus did not turn overly sweet on me -- it is readily offset by the dragon's blood.

Dry-down: Many fruity/floral scents evaporate on me after a few hours, but not this one. It true staying power, although not in an obnoxious way.

I'll wear this one when I'm in a particularly '70's mood.

valentina

bloodlotus.jpg

I'm going to guess: Lotus, Red Musk, maybe some dragon's blood. Very nice in a Snake Oil kind of a way. I liked it but it doesn't move me to tears. Problem is that there are other scents that really ring my bell (like Hunger and Hollywood Babylon) which are in the same "family".

Edited by olympia301

I have to say, I'm in love with this one! Mmm... So divine!

Upon first sniff in the bottle, all I got was what spelled like a mixture of Bubblegum and Tobacco. Odd combination indeed. But both fade out after just a few minutes on. And then I don't even know how to describe the smell dry. Other than it's sweet and sexy. I didn't think it were possible for such a sweet smelling scent to be sexy, but it is!

My next order (which unfortunately probably won't happen until Sept. :P ) is definitely including a big bottle of this. I can really see myself wearing this one often.

In the vial: Oh, lovely, lovely dragon's blood! I'm not exactly sure what lotus smells like, so I can't pick it out in this, but perhaps that's the slightly musky and fruity note I'm detecting far, far in the background? In any case, this is divine. Sweet yet tough all at the same time.

Wet: Immediately turns more musky and darker on my skin, which is a very nice development, as I love dark scents! It's still extremely dragon's blood, but the floral is starting to come out as well.

Dry: The scent becomes dry and flat, and ever so slightly powdery. The dragon's blood is still very prominent. It's romantic, dizzying, dreamy. This is a warm breeze on a summer's eve as the sun is setting and casting a soft blue glow on the world.

An hour later: It's gone even more musky and darker, which again, is a good thing. Also, there's the tiniest bit of fruity tang coming back.

Overall: Love, love, love this. It's such a fantastic dragon's blood blend! This is perfect for summer nights, so I'm not sure how it'll fare in the upcoming winter, but I know I'll be wearing this no matter what season it is!

Blood Lotus

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone ... and a little in the cleavage.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): The warm, thick, rich scent of dragon’s blood … with something floral underneath it all that must be the lotus. As with all other BPAL dragon’s blood scents, a winner right from the start.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This lightens up, losing its thickness. It is still rich and sweet. The dragon’s blood is tempered by the floral, almost to the point of being lost among it … almost.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): I feel a bit of a headache coming on, and I’ve already suffered two sneezing fits. I do hope the scent isn’t the culprit. Even so, I have plenty of dragon’s blood scents to choose from, should I need to find this one a good home.

An hour or so into the afternoon and this has settled into a calm, sweet floral. The majority of the headache has gone. Still, I fear my collection will have to go on without this addition. No worries though, I am certain to find it a suitable home.

I tried this one on tonight because I thought it would be an easy review, an obvious mismatch with my chemistry. A lab frimp, I don't like dragon's blood and bubblegummy lotus is nice for a novelty but not that compelling. But the two mixed together create something quite special. The dragon's blood tempers the sweeteness of the lotus while the lotus adds new dimensions to the resin. It is deep and rich and thick and sweet without being too sweet. It creates a red warm sexy skin scent. I can believe there is red musk working here in the background. This may be a big bottle someday.

In imp: Dark, sweet cherries.

Wet, on skin: Sweet fruit and metal - sounds strange, but smells yummy.

15 minutes later: All gone, and I put on A LOT. I hope this isn't a trend because I ordered all the ``Blood'' scents in imps.

In the imp: Lotus, mostly. Quite sweet, a bit... watery, I guess. But not the sharp, painful kind of aquatic.

On, wet: I wonder if there's sassafrass (sp?) in this? It would explain the colour, and the root-beery smell. How odd.

Later: Kinda reminds me of Kabuki -- that same sweet, almost rootbeer scent. But there's another note somewhere that I cannot smell per se, but which gives me quite a headache. Into the swap pile with ye!

This has a full-bodied sweetness from the start. It has the bubblegum scent that Black Lotus had, but thankfully that stage passes. Drying down this developes a nice incense feel with a hint of cherries. I can smell a little musk as well. Completely dry I wouldn't say that this is a warm scent, it smells a bit cold and metallic, yet a bit sweet. It hangs around all day and is very pleasant. This is a winner in my book.

This is sweet and almost candy like. More than almost any other Dragon's Blood blend I've tried, I can smell the cherry note that folks talk about, which combined with the almost bubblegum flower scent of the lotus make this a bright red almost playful scent to me. But maybe I'm just weird...

First on, Blood Lotus smells like a cross between Satyr and Urd on me, but with a few bad things thrown in to make it turn. I'm getting a sort of sickly metallic twang that reminds me of dragon's blood... and a sharp perfumey floral underneath it all.

Several hours later, this has dried down to a light scent that smells like spicy floral grapejuice. It's odd and not really working on me.

a review of Blood Lotus

Vial ~ extremely sweet, actually cloyingly sweet, another one of those

scents that I will try, despite my initial dislike of it in the vial.

Wet ~ bubblegum sweet, I can detect the dragon's blood and I think I

am picking up on the lotus. What comes to mind is this thick sweet syrup.

still not to fond of this scent.

Drying ~ stays true to what it smells like when it is wet, bubblegum sweet.

Dry ~ Now it is less sweet, in fact it seems to take on a smoky scent. It

has an underlying sweetness still, but the smokiness does seem to temper

the once cloying sweet smell.

Fade ~ I didn't expect this scent to fade that fast but it doesn't seem to

last that long. Once the scent took on a smokiness, it faded away.

Final thoughts ~ While I don't completely hate this scent, I really do not

care for it. Blood Lotus is too sweet and heavy for me. On a scale of

1 to 5, I give it a 1.

Wet: Sticky sweet bubblegum.

Dry: Sticky sweet lotus flowers. This really makes me think of a pool of sticky drying blood with lotus petals floating in it. Sure, it's a lot sweeter than a pool of blood would smell, but it's still blood! Dark candied blood. :P This scent also has the added benefit of making me feel very langorous.

After a few hours, the scent has turned powdery on me, as in the smell of an old compact of pressed powder! That must be the lotus, because I can still smell the blood over it just fine. This would be my re-apply time, to freshen up the scent. I also need to really slather this one on, or else I can barely smell it around me.

Overall, it's ok. I'd wear it, but not often. I really like Black Lotus more. Boyfriend did compliment Blood Lotus, though, and said it smelled nice. Oddly, I wore it to work yesterday, and my boss asked if I had just taken my clothes out of the dryer because I smelled "Good and fresh like a dryer sheet" to her. Hah!

Blood Lotus smells like cherries and Lotus blooms on my skin.

This is absolutely lovely. I was convenced it would totally clash with my skin chemistry but instead... *sigh*

This is gonna have to be a BIG bottle scent.

In the Bottle: It smells sweet. Like candy, or tropical punch kool aid.

Wet: Ther’s something earthy here. It smells like the tropical punch kool aid pre-mixed powder.

Drydown: Still smells like powdered kool aid. I believe this one will go to a friend who loves tropical punch kool aid more than I do.