Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lush, velvet-red blooms born from the blood shed in the eternal battle between Set and Horus the Avenger. Inspired by Tammy Roth.

In bottle: A lot like the Red Queen this one opens up with a syrupy sweetness on first sniff. Another whiff shows that there are more subtle notes clamoring for attention, a touch of a floral that almost smells juicy and something slightly spicy. I’m assuming that the dragon’s blood and lotus (having never smelled those scents before).

Wet: Not nearly as sweet or floral as it smelled in the bottle. The Dragon’s blood smells dry, slightly incensey and almost spicy, and comes to the foreground on this one with a vengeance. A hint of sweetness stays in the background, though it smells more fruity then floral which is surprising to me but from checking out previous reviews not unexpected.

Dry: Not a strong scent. Apparently my skin really likes this one and is just sucking it up. The dry dragon’s blood note is still dominant with the lotus hovering in the background to keep it from being too incensey.

Notes: I actually really like this scent, which is surprising because I wasn't expecting to. Be careful upon first opening it however, the sweet fruity smell builds up and can be deceiving! It morphs between the dry spicey dragon’s blood and the sweet counterpoint of the lotus. I’m actually pretty happy that lotus is more fruity then floral and it reminds me a lot of how Red Queen morphed from my fruity expectations to a more balanced combo. Definitely a keeper!

wow... so about december, I got my daddy some trading post ugh massage oil. And dear ol' puddin stuck some frimps in there, and none of them really appealled to me at first sniff... so lived in the desk drawer.

6 months later, I am scentless about about to go feed the horses and see blood lotus on my desk... dragons blood, lotus... two things I was pretty sure I hated. Idk if my skin chem has changed or what... but as i was putting water into the bucket I started smelling myself. I didn't smell like bubble gum or grapes (what dragons blood normally smells like on me) I smelt like the most fantastic mysterious sexy incense. maybe a touch of grape bubblegum... but it just melds so nicely into the skin into a your skin but better, glowing with passion scent.

It might not smell like the person I try to resemble now... but I am def keeping the imp, if not getting a bottle... because it smells exactly like being a teenager again, and approaching all the new wonderful mysterys of life. To me this smells like my 8th grade year.

I must have acquired this one as frimpage somewhere along the line. Wet, I get a sort of spicy dragon's blood and bubblegummy lotus. Both are favorites, but as soon as it hits my skin and starts drying down, I get something... earthy? Rooty? I can't pin it down, but it reminds me of something. Depraved, maybe? High John the Conqueror? Whatever it is, this one is not for me. I couldn't even wear it two hours.

In the Imp: Interesting: I received a sniffy with just a drop left as a frimp with a forum purchase. The remaining oil in the old imp was yellow. I received a lab frimp in a recent order, and the oil is a rich brown color. The oil in the sniffy smelled like spicy bubblegum. The fresh imp is sweeter, with an almost apple scent, and a thick feel as a sniff it.

Wet on Skin: The drop of oil I managed to get out of the old imp smelled the same on the skin as it did in the imp (spicy bubblegum). The fresh imp was sweet, slightly appley, a touch cloying. Neither version is really my style, but I think I prefer the aged version.

While Drying: Perfumey, cloying, not my style

After a Little While: The lotus seems to be amplifying the sweet, floral, cloying aspects of the dragon's blood.

Later: Much better after time has passed. The scent tames down to a more incensey DB with just a touch of something else.

Blood Lotus earns a 2/5 on my skin.

Fresh imp purchased from the lab!

I honestly did not expect to like this one. At all. I ordered it on a whim, before I even read reviews. Stupid, I know! And then I did start reading reviews, and I was terrified due to all the comments about it smelling like bubblegum! Anyway, when I got it, it was the first one I picked out of the box to try, due to its gorgeous red amber color. Upon first sniff, I was a bit scared. It smelled like spicy cherry cough drops! I proceeded with caution, though, and dabbed a bit on my wrists. And then proceeded to swoon due to the beauty of this scent. It does start off quite sweet, with almost a syrupy cherry note. This quickly mellows out, though, and turns into the perfect sweet, slightly fruity dragon's blood, with no bubblegum in sight! No cloying florals, either, which is excellent. My skin sure does love this scent, though, because it disappears on me after about an hour and a half.

Dragon's blood is such a comforting scent for me, and this particular version reminds me of backstage in high school. During one of our productions, we needed incense, so one of the cast members brought in some beautiful dragon's blood incense. After it started burning, there were usually at least five of us hovering around it, inhaling the warm scent. Ah, nostalgia!

Full bottle purchase for sure.

ETA: That day that it only lasted an hour and a half must have been a fluke, because I wore it today (during and after writing this review) and it lasted at least four hours. Hooray!

Edited by plainjean

When I had an imp of this, it was thick and rich and sweet. I loved it. My boyfriend even scored a 10mL bottle of it for me off Ebay. The bottle is...different. It's not nearly as sweet, and smells like most of the other notes are there, but that something got left out...or something. It's just strange. It's more floral...even a little laundry soap-ish.

imp: thickly sweet floral. prettier than i was expecting actually.

wet: this has a sweet floral bubblegum smell! i was not expecting this to be so playful and beautiful!

dry: still strong fruity bubblegum! i really like this scent!

In the Imp: The oozing cherry sweetness of dragon's blood. I feel a slight headache already. Dragon's blood and I don't get along, but I will press on!

Wet: Thankfully, this is not as crazy as most dragon's blood scents I've tried. It's there all right, but the lotus really, really cools it down and prevents it from going spicy insane incense on me. There's even a slight herbal edge in the background.

Dry: Thank you for being kind to me, Blood Lotus. If anything this continued to tone down, becoming less cloying and more refreshing with a bit of a zing. It's still candy sweet but not overpoweringly so, instead sitting in perfect harmony with the relaxing, icy lotus.

Overall: Probably the best dragon's blood oil I've tried so far. A great mixture that calms its usual spicy sweetness.

It smelled thick and exotic in the imp, but as soon I tried it on the skin, it was like being enveloped in a cloud of strwaberry bubblegum and candied cherries.

As soon you I put my nose to my wrist tough, all I smelled was the florals.

On the drying down of the oil, I get only the fruity, exotic sweetness mixed with an underlying of saucy darkness. It would seem it has excellent staying power too.

A wonderfully surprising scent, even if I must decide if it's a 'me' scent. Lovely.

This went completely and utterly Robittusen cough syrup.

In the imp, on my skin, dry, the same the whole way through. I'm almost amazed how much of a dead-ringer it is for cherry cough syrup. :/

Memory rewrite. Gogo accidentally closing browsers. :(

Imp: Bubblegum! I have Eight-petaled Lotus, and that smells just nice and floral on me. This is completely different. Really fruity and juicy.

Can't smell any of the Dragon's Blood Resin at this stage.

Wet: Turns to super duper extra fruity juicy bubblegum. I assume the extra fruitness comes from the resin. It also makes it deeper, and a bit darker. Onomnom.

The lotus starts to fall away pretty quickly, and the spicy fruitness from the resin starts to take over. Turns out, by itself, I kinda like Dragon's Blood Resin. Either that, or it is a different type than in Blood Rose.

Dry: Slightly spicy fruitness. I can't smell any of the lotus anymore. Kinda nice and warm.

Love this so much! Got this as an imp.

Out of the vial: as others have said, cherry syrup or bubblegum. There's something sort of incense-like hiding in the background though, likely the dragons blood.

When it dries it loses some of its cherry smell and just remains sweet resinous. After about 5 hours it is mostly gone but if I stick my nose right to the spot that I put it on i get a different sort of cherry smell. It actually reminds me of a scented strawberry shortcake doll I had as a kid. Very interesting. I might not get a whole bottle but I will definitely enjoy my Imp :)

this scent is very sweet and blood-red/purple. i don't distinctly get lotus, but it smells sweet and a bit musty and dusty on me. kind of fruity but maybe a bit like wine, so it's sweet in a way but not candy-sweet or anything. interesting scent, glad i got to try it.

When I picked out this imp a while back I didn't realize it has two of the worst notes for me in it, but trying it now it's painfully obvious. Bubblegum and dragon's blood, combining to form a weird syrupy scent. Oh lotus, I don't think you and I can ever be friends.

Imp: lush and red is right! getting a red fruited floral
Wet on Me: still red fruits and flowers
Drying Down: glorious. deep dark red fruits and flowers but not so heady that it creates a headache.
Dry: I didn't think I would like this as much as I love this!

Frimp that I only tried as an experiment to see if I like lotus, which I am not familiar with. Already know I don't like dragon's blood.

In the imp: Dark, reddish oil. Sweet, fruity-floral.
Wet on me: Fruit incense at first, then dragon's blood starts doing that weird spiced-lilac thing it does on me & that I do not like. The lotus is not helping, its bubblegum sweetness is a bit sickly mixed with the fruity aspect of the dragon's blood.
Dry: I think I do like lotus, now it's dried down - sort of a fresh, lightly sweet, watery floral. But it's totally drowned out by the dragon's blood, which I seem to amp, too.

The experiment was a success, but this scent is not for me.

Sweet, red candy and flowers. Lotsa cherry. Drydown gives it more resiny spice, but it's still quite red. Nice, but not something I'd go out of my way for.

Where I'd wear it: On a visit to Japan

Smells like a really sweetened red musk to me. Or maybe dragon's blood or something. So sweet, that it reminds me of lollipops.
Slightly spicy... red currants... hm.

I smelled this in some sort of detergent before I swear...

On me, this is very, very similar to just straight dragon's blood. It's a bit sweet and cherry, but also has a hint of floral. It's not bad per se, but I already have the one and don't use it often. It's nice and strong, I'll give it that though.

Wet: Bubblegum (lotus) and Dragon's Blood. Kind of what I expected! It's what I consider to be the "floral" version of DB - high pitched, sweet - not my favourite, to be honest. This is very heady. I feel like too much of it might give me a headache.

Dry: Sadly, this is pretty "meh" on me, as the notes are just not ones I enjoy, personally. On my skin it's a very simply union of lotus and Dragon's Blood. Just not to my taste.

mmmmmm in the imp this smells almost like candy. yum. on my skin, it lacks the blood tang that Blood Kiss had on me, but i can smell the dragons blood which i luuuurrrrve and something sweet and juicy... not cherries, not strawberries... maybe cranberries? but sweet and only a little tart. mmmmmm. the Labs Blood note seems to like me as much as i like it! yay!

In bottle: A wet, green scent, like the stems of freshly cut flowers, along with some white floral I can’t specify, but I assume is lotus. There's maybe a slight hint of something musky/warm/incense-y in the background.

Wet: Woody/spicy notes dominate, with a bit of fruitiness, maybe citrus, in the background. It's a much lighter, subtler scent than you would assume from the name.

Dry: Red wine and fruit. It doesn't last very long, seeming to be almost entirely gone by two hours after application. 

I went into this fully expecting dragon's blood and bubblegum-y lotus. The dragon's blood is definitely the star here, and is more of the resin-y variety than the spicy floral one. I feel like it has gotten smoother during the aging process, because this is nicer than the Lab's dragon's blood typically is on me. The lotus is far behind the dragon's blood, adding a floral backing to the scent, but it fortunately didn't veer into bubblegum territory on me like some lotus notes (like pink lotus) are wont to do.

While I couldn't see myself reaching for this one, this aged imp is nicer than I thought it would be, and it had massive throw, too!