Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lush, velvet-red blooms born from the blood shed in the eternal battle between Set and Horus the Avenger. Inspired by Tammy Roth.

bottle: thick, sweet...like syrup

wet: smoky bubblegum?! its a really sweet smoky bubblegum smell...im thinking about washing it off.

dry: the bubblegumminess has faded a bit to a sweetness. the scents blended a bit more and its tolerable but still to sweet for me. Its really hard for me to pick out scents in this one.

First Sniff: Syrupy and VERY sweet.

On my skin: Still very sweet, but with a touch of something bitter. Wine maybe?

After 1 hour: This stays very sweet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Final verdict: This scent really never "blossomed" on me. it basically stayed the same from bottle to skin. I don't dislike and and I actually occasionally wear it. It's just a little too sweet for me to wear often.

Initial Sniff: Very sweet, but with an underlying sexy deepness. Very nice.

Wearing: The bubblegum sweet lotus and the sweet resinous dragon's blood mingle happily on my skin. It is warm and thick, like candy syrup. Ummmm... make that very naughty candy syrup. The spicy resins that make dragon's blood so interesting give this an underlying layer of menace which I find very appealing.

Final Impressions: This is a fantastic scent. I prefer Black Lotus for my lotus-scented needs, but I was forced to purchase a bottle of this as well - just because!

My imp is a yellow shade, making me wonder about dragon's blood being in it at all, since it usually turns everything bright red.

In the bottle: Ugh. This is really sweet & going back to swap

Wet: Still really sweet. I might actually wash it off.

Drydown: Glad I didn't wash it off. I can barely smell the dragon's blood under a sweet Lotus scent. Definitely not a bottle, but I'll enjoy my imp on certain occasions.

Blood Lotus

In the bottle: Lotus, but a little sharper and less cloying than in other blends. Sultrier.

On me/wet: Ok, it's official. Lotus and I don't play well together. It immediately becomes cloying and a bit nauseating. In fact, it smells a lot like floral Vaseline. :P I hope another note becomes evident.

Drydown: This a warmer, sexier lotus than I've gotten in some other Lab scents. Less bubblegum, somehow spicier. But it still smells...greasy, for lack of a better word.

Unsure about this one, but I don't think it's a keeper.

Blood Lotus:

In the imp, Blood Lotus smelled very strongly of fruit and Dragonsblood. I'm glad to see I wasn't alone in that initial impression. :P On my skin, though, the Dragonsblood immediately faded into a nice floral (likely the lotus, though I'm not familliar with the scent of lotus) with a very slight resin undertone. Resins don't work with me - they usually consume my senses and become overwhelming - but this is just faint enough to be acceptable.

All in all, Blood Lotus is a very wearable, light floral on me. I like it. It's a keeper.

Everything I've tried with dragon's blood starts out very sweet and fruity at first, and this is no exception. Luckily, it stops just short of being sickly sweet and making my teeth ache. I don't know different notes well enough to pick them out, but I would guess the lotus is cutting through the sweetness to save my nose.

As it dries the sweetness fades a bit, and I quite like it. I catch a hint of something that almost smells like coconut, which balances the initial fruitiness and seems to mellow the whole thing out. I'm pretty sure there's no amber in this, but I'm getting a similar sort of soft golden warmth at the bottom of the scent as I do from amber.

In all, I like this, but I don't know that I'll get a big bottle of it.

In the imp: This both looks and smells identical to Kabuki, but Kabuki's drydown instead of the cherry lollipop smell it has wet. However, something in dry Kabuki turns my stomach, and this doesn't have the same effect, even though it smells damn near identical. Odd..

On my skin: Musk, dragon's blood, lotus. The lotus is still sweet but it isn't as sickeningly syrupy bubblegum as it has been in other blends. It still smells like a flower rather than a candy.

Doesn't change too much on drydown. Sweetens a bit more, mellows out, and I primarily smell some resiny type warmth. I wasn't expecting to like this because lotus has treated me badly and I, for some unexplained reason, have an aversion to dragon's blood. I wouldn't get a bottle but I'm keeping my imp.

i thought this was fruity and sweet when i first smelled it, so i thought it'd probably be a keeper. i was wrong, i think.

blood lotus goes on really thick and has a very *drumroll* blood red smell. it actually reminds me a bit of blood (the BPAL scent, not the actual thing) at first. i left it alone so i could review eternal, and now that i smell it again, YUCK! harsh cleaning fluid and cheap incense!! i think dragon's blood is what's doing that cleaning fluid smell. sometimes it does that depending on the other notes in a blend. :P i hate you, skin chemistry. i'm sure this is beautiful on a person whose skin doesn't hate them.

Blood Lotus - this is a red, voluptuous, juicy, sweet floral. On my skin it's not candylike and the fruity aspect is tempered by the lotus and it is simply wonderful and quite perfect for this lovely spring day. A very uplifting scent and one that I'm glad I rediscovered :P

I can't quite place any of the notes in this one. Lotus obviously, and possibly dragon's blood. In the bottle it smells strongly Egyptian. On, it's pleasant enough, but probably not something I would wear very often.

On the wickedgoddes scale of 1 - 5, I give this a 2 .

This scent smelled fascinating in the imp, and so, I gave it a try.

Alas, Blood Lotus turned to Blood Kool-Aid on me. I lose any dark resiny tones that might be in this and instead get a cloying sweetness that lasts about an hour. Then the scent is gone completely.

Not for me, sadly.

Blood Lotus Haiku,

The Temple of Set--

Its artistry funded by

The Drink Stand of Set.

wet and in the vial this is a very balance mix of drb and lotus

as it dries it gets a spicey hint of something, and isn't quiet as sweet, i think i get a w

slight hint of musk, and something almost peppery

this one lasts a loooong time i pu it on yesterday evening and this am i can still faintly smell it

Blood Lotus:

In the Vial: Deep Sweet Cherryish Scent. Mostly smell the Dragon's Blood in the vial with a hint of lotus...

Wet: So yummy and sweet! I smell the Lotus, and then the Dragon's Blood come out... Lotus is the one thing I smell the strongest though...

Dry: Sweet, Sweet, juicy Lotus and Dragon's blood. God this is beautiful, so sweet, I wish I could eat it, because it would taste so freaking good!

Conclusion: I'll use up the imp and one day I want a bottle of it!

Blood Lotus

I'm looking forward to this…another Egyptian themed scent. My experiences of lotus before BPAL are that it's lovely on me-a fresh light floral. Let's hope it works with this one…whoa this oil is DARK! Isn't this more like Black Lotus? Oh well, here goes…

In the imp: sweet! This is a lovely sweet yummy smell. Like sweet cherry cola. I know a lot of people have complained about this bubble gummish smell but I love it. It's a light floral sweetness (no doubt that's the lotus) with cherries. Kinda reminds me of Lush's Creamy Candy bath but more fruity-floral.

Wet on skin: the sweetness is mellowing out and there's a deeper, sharper undercurrent coming through. Still reminds me of sweet cherry candy though. I quite like it.

Dry on skin: ooooh now it's more sophisticated than the sweet candy smell in the bottle. There's a fruity fresh but quite dark and sharp cherry-ish scent, which I think is dragon's blood (BPAL is getting me aquainted to this particular smell), but that's underlined by a lovely delicate powdery floral smell-it's lotus! I think lotus likes me :P on me lotus is a sweet, youthful, feminine and innocent note which I know others might find sickly-sweet, but I like it. I like the way this oil is sharp and cutting at first sniff but then the gentle lotus lingers seconds after. I still want to lick my wrists (because it smells yummy) but I won't-that will spoil it!

After 20 mins: the lotus is more prominent now, sweet and comforting but the dragon's blood is still there in the background-both smells seem more 'mixed' now. I think I can detect a bit of almond, but that could be the way dragon's blood reacts on my skin, as this happened with another blend.

After 30 mins: The scent seems to be maturing on my skin nicely. It actually smells as though the scents of lotus and dragon's blood are competing as to which is the most prominent scent! (reminds me of the oil's description-the battle of Horus and Set!) Sometimes it's sweet and gentle, other times it's bittersweet and dark. Nice contrasting duality displayed in this oil.

After 1 hour: There's something comforting to me about this powdery lotus smell that now lingers on my skin-it's very sweet but tolerable-there's still a very slight cherry-almond background but it's not as sharp as it was before, it's muted now. Methinks this will go well with Lush's Rock Star, Candy Fluff and Melting Marshmallow.

Edit: omg! The smell is now starting to remind me of an Egyptian lotus perfume I once sniffed...and that was a gorgeous perfume. The lotus is really becoming recognisable now and I like it!

Verdict: this one's a keeper-a fruity, sweet floral with a candy sweet innocent aspect, but with a slightly sinister undertone, which mellows out to a cosy sweet powdery scent. Me likes!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Wow. I'd tried Black Lotus and it smelled very syrupy on me; I tried Blood Amber and it was a spicy light floral; neither of them was for me. So I wasn't expecting much from Blood Lotus.

I was so wrong.

I get a sweet (but not syrupy and not sticky) resin from this, along with something that could either be a cedar/wood smell or the kind of patchouli that you find in Urd, the kind that is not headshop but reminds me of wood pencil shavings. It doesn't smell "blood-y" to me, but it does seem to fit the scent description nonetheless: there is something of timelessness in it.

Another freebie from the Lab..thank you very much.

Let me preface this by saying: Lotus and I don't get along that well. I should say...lotus tends to beat my senses into oblivion...anything with lotus so far has been amped to the 1000th degree on my skin...and basically drowns anything and everything out with it's bubblegum sweetness. :D I am trying to find a happy middle with my lotus gorilla..but so far..I haven't been too successful. However..I figured I could give Blood Lotus a try..since it has dragon's blood..and although unfamiliar with dragon's blood..the little that I have sampled has led me to believe this little guy just might give lotus a run for it's money..meaning it might be able to temper it.

hmmm..not too much for me to read into as far as the description goes..so might as well just open the imp and dive in.. :P

Sniffed from vial: By the way..the oil in the imp is pretty dark..but anyways..onto the sniffing...hmmm smells like cherries...fruity cherries with a backdrop of sweetness..that's the lotus..so far I like it because the fruity cherries are in the forefront...

Applied wet on skin: It's still the dragon's blood winning out here..but that lotus is hot on it's tail. Yep...this is basically lotus on me with the dragon's blood in the background now... :D

Darn lotus.... :D why oh why do you have to always dominate??? I guess I shouldn't be surprised..I mean..it is called Blood Lotus...

This is sweet...with the dragons blood giving a bit of fruity tartness..not like pomegranate..more like fruit sweetness..that is in tandem with the sugary bubblegum sweetness of the lotus..and that's basically all I am getting from this..which isn't a bad thing..it does seem to work.

Dry on skin: Lotus again is basically the life of the party on my skin...with the dragons blood softly echoed...

Bottom line: This is actually a nice fragrance..but I myself cannot see myself wearing it because of my lotus gorilla...however anybody who loves lotus and/or sweet scents I think would love Blood Lotus..it is sweet and I guess a bit sexy..in a *girly* way..I think the right female could pull this off...I will keep my imp for now..while still searching for the lotus blend that doesn't go *ape* on me... :D

Sweet, syrupy lotus. And then it goes heavy. Dragon’s blood and maybe something heavier. Very thick and red. While I do like the scent, I don’t see myself wearing it very often.

First sniff from the bottle- Smells like sweet tarts!

After 20 minutes- Wow, this is *super* sweet and candy smelling! It smells exactly like sweet tarts and cherry bubble gum all at the same time. As dries the sweet cherry fades and it smells just like a piece of pink bubblegum.

Summery- Much too candy sweet for my taste.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Rancid.

In the imp/bottle: Sweet, cherry Dragon's blood resin.

On skin, wet: Not so sweet anymore. This turns into an almost rancid Ars Draconis-esque scent. Dragon's Urine, maybe.

On skin, dry: This fades away completely in about ten minutes, which is a good thing. Ick.

Conclusion: This started out so lovely. In the imp, I thought "Oh, I'll have to add a 5ml to my June order.", but then it turned into something nasty. Sigh.

Edited by Aredhel

I was worried about how Blood Lotus would work on my skin, because so many other BPALers say it turns to bubble gum on them. So, I am thrilled to find that apparently I am one of those who *can* wear lotus!

I really like this scent. The lotus is very sweet on me. Sweet in a floral way, not a foody way, if that makes any sense. The "blood" note--is it dragon's blood?--balances the sweetness of the lotus perfectly, keeping it from getting too sweet, adding a warm, almost spicy quality. The overall effect is both sexy and mystical.

Edited by lady_pandora

Lush sweet wine at first, then cherries and musk. Top edge is a little weird: too fruity or berry? Hmm.