Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lush, velvet-red blooms born from the blood shed in the eternal battle between Set and Horus the Avenger. Inspired by Tammy Roth.

Total lotus on me (that candylike BPAL lotus! I like it in moderation, but...) with a background of spicy/sweet dragon's blood. I love the plant-y feel of the lotus. Simple and straightforward, this one.

Alright, all I got here is Cherry Sweet-Tarts. Which is weird, because I normally don't get a cherry vibe from Dragon's Blood resin. However, in almost every blend I've tried with a lotus note, I get some variation of candy in the scent. And I am not a girl who likes to smell sugary in the least. I don't seem to be getting any smoky notes like the other reviewers. On me, this is bright and sharp.

In the imp: Cherry candy, sticky-sweet.

On, wet: OMG sweetness. It's really... oof. Fruity, sticky-sweet.

Drydown: I catch some spiciness! Could it be my beloved dragon's blood?

Dry: Still sweet, but less sticky; it smells almost like a Luden's cherry cough drop scented candle, if such a thing existed. It's not suiting my mood today and I don't really care for it; it's headed to the "try it again some other time" pile to see if it's better in warmer weather.

Rating (0-5): 2.5

This smells like very deep red berries, almost like wine grape. With some Dragon's blood Resin thrown in for good measure. Yep...deffo DBR in here but it's not dominating the blend.

It's more of a dark berry than floral and I'm getting none of the bubblegum vibe that lotus can give.

It's quite strong and I got a compliment today about it too. :)

The more this dries the more beautiful it becomes and I can really see why Beth is such a master of creating perfume. It's just so rich, red and deep. It's the only way I can describe it. It's like someone's fermented tons of berries and aged them in a slightly floral liquid. MUCH nicer than I had intially anticipated.

Yum!!

sweet...sweet lotus..like it was drizzled with syrup. only slight hints of dragons blood but seriously this smells like air freshner..the plasticy kind.

overall: it wears a long time -- and i do like it...ITS GROWING ON ME, ok? on the wishlist.

Wet: Smokey bubblegum? Strange.

Dry: Smokey, heavy, sweet, soporific.

Wear Time: 8+ hours

Fits Description?: Doesn’t really make me think of a flower. Or blood. Or Egypt.

Overall: This one was really bizarre for me. Just heavy and sleep-inducing. I actually think that it caused my day-long bout of dizziness, although I would need further proof of that. Nonetheless, the dizziness issue was so disturbing, I’m not really up to further testing.

Ooo pretty... juicy red, very berry-ish.. strawberry? cherry? no... a not yet invented berry :lol: Kind of reminiscent of cherry koolaide powder.

This has a good throw, but not a strangling one.

Will definately be a good one to wear this summer!

I wasn't hoping for much from this one, but was pleasantly surprised. This really does smell like rich, juicy red berries, with maybe a teensy splash of wine. Unfortunately, it doesn't have all that much throw or longevity on me; otherwise it'd be a keeper.

Go ahead and try this if you normally don't like lotus. I think you'll enjoy it for a change. :)

Imp: Cherry with bubblegummy lotus

Wet: More cherry bubblegummy lotus. Fun!

Drydown: As it gets more time on the skin, it becomes less silly and fun and takes on a darker edge. Lotus remains bubblegummy, but there's something deep like dessert wine to go with it. It's a nice new take on lotus.

Overall: It's a cool scent, but not something I can see wearing. I don't wear many "dark" scents to begin with, and nothing is really hooking me to this one. But it was worth trying!

In the imp: Sweet, red, either red musk or dragon's blood. I have a hard time distinguishing the two until they hit my skin.

Wet: It's dragon's blood, but it's got a green feel to it. Sweet cherry. Peppery magic. I kind of like it but I know what's coming next...

Drydown: Now I'm feeling the wrath of the dragon! I amp dragon's blood like hell. It's all I can smell, it's in my brain, it's taking over everything and giving me a slight headache. Which sucks because i do like the smell of it when it's not on me.

Overall: I wish I could like this but it's just too strong.

In the bottle: Color is a deep but transparent red. Scent.. Hmm.. It's sweet. Like cherries? Odd - I'm getting "cherries" from this. A hint of floral, deep in there.

Wet on skin: More floral now, but still very sweet. Must be getting the "lotus" in it. A very thick scent.

Upon re-reading lab description: Doesn't help me out in identifying notes, but does provide a beautiful image! An image I daresay I can smell.. I can see the flowers, when I sniff my wrists - deep red blossoms unfurling miraculously atop desert sand. There is a slight wistfulness to the scent..

On the drydown: Slightly powdery. I think I'm getting more of the dragon's blood now, and it's quite nice! This is a very pleasant, slightly sexy scent! It's light, but it has some body.. Perfect combination. The sweetness has died down, and it's more incense-y now. I adore this!

Imp: Dragon's Blood

Wet: Wildflowers doused with dragon's blood

Drydown: This has mellowed quite a bit. The dragon's blood was a bit overwhelming in the wet stage. It's a pretty combination of dragon's blood and purple flowers.

Overall: It's not bad, I just don't think I'd wear it.

When I first applied it all I got was a fruity medicinal smell.

After drying it just turns cloyingly sweet on me. Must go wash off immediately.

Blood Lotus is thick, rich, and sweet. Almost like a wine, but with fat juicy berries. I asked the boy if he liked it after I'd been wearing it for a while, and his eyes got super wide as he exclaimed "Oh, yes!" and then said he needed to get a bottle of it for me. So I guess that's a positive review!! :lol:

In the Imp: Got this as a frimp, and it’s kind of disturbing me right now. It’s very sweet, almost cough syrupy, with a splash of something that reminds me of licorice. Balame doesn’t like super sweet smells. Balame is scared.

Wet: GWAH. It is indeed very sweet, but there’s something resinous as well. Oh boy, this is reminding me of Dragon’s Blood. We did not get along. I just… don’t know. Plastic licorice smothered in cherry sauce?

Dry: I’m sorry, but I forced myself to take a big sniff of this and my immediate reaction was simply “STANK”. It smells sort of dirty, like an extremely overripe red fruit splattered all over the ground and now a bunch of crap got mixed in with its juices. I know it’s you, DB, I know. It had the same “rotting” effect that this is giving me.

Verdict: Noooo, please no more. I’ll never understand why people like this sort of thing, but that’s good because it’ll be easier for me to send it far, far away. Too sweet, too syrupy, too nasty. Too not-Egyptian as well, since I’m on a roll. Not for me!

Rating: 1/5

Got a frimp of this, quite a while back. Just got around to trying it out.

In the bottle, it was cloyingly sweet. Too much so.

First on the skin, the same thing. Very thick sweetness, like candy. I don't do candy scents at all.

However, it dried into a very nice, rich floral. Sweet, but deep. Not too strong on me, either, just right.

After about an hour, it still had a nice scent going. I'm not the best at identifying scents, but I think the lotus is what was coming out the most, with something richer underneath that I couldn't quite make out.

Not quite sure if it is me, yet. But I'll keep the imp and try it a few more times before deciding. This might be worth a bottle.

I really used to find dragon's blood too floral and cloying. Now, there is a nice spiciness to the sweet floral, and I'm starting to wish I didn't get rid of my DBR frimps from the lab. On to the review.

This is quite candy-like with the lotus, and balanced off with the spicy of the dragon's blood. Although I generally don't like candy blends, for some reason I like lotus. This is definitely an interesting blend, not sure if it is me, but I'll definitely use the imp when I want a sweet, spicy kick to my day!

The first thing I smelt in the imp was red musk. Thick, heavy and sweet. On the skin it calmed down a bit, but there was that definite bubblegum fruitiness from the lotus and dragon's blood.

The scent didn't change much on my skin for the first hour or so, but in the throw there was a light floral note mingled in with the sweetness. Close to the wrist I can detect a sharp, dark note which eventually evened out, but by that point the red musk had returned and gradually took over the scent, so that it just smelled like an airier version of Lust.

In The Bottle

Rich, berryish and slightly grapey

On Application

Sour and sweaty grape

Dry Down

I can smell jasmine in this. Becomes quite dusty quite quickly on drydown. This never loses the sweaty sock smell. Not good on me.

Rating (0-5)

At first it is a heavy, sweet scent. Like a cherry cough syrup, but in a good way.

As it dries down it is a sweet, but warm scent with underlying notes of amber perhaps.

I'm not sure it's for me, but it's kind of nice.

In the frimp, I get a dragon's blood/cherry note, with a really sweet kick to it. I'm thinking I may like this. On my skin, it's pretty much the same, with the sweeter lotus amping a bit. Hmm. This may be bottle material. And there's red musk in here, too. Definite bottle buy.

Edited by Venneh

Wet: I can't take lotus too seriously... it's so bubblegum! But Blood Lotus tries to change my mind. The wet bubblegum blooms are weighed down with a sharp slash of dragon's blood, with a husky, gritty undercurrent of smoke.

Dry: Much the same, but with an added hint of red wine, and I'm definitely, definitely thinking there's red musk in here, too. It's got that slightly incensey yet red-fruity sweet vibe that red musk gives me. It smells EXACTLY like the red musk in Fenris Wolf. The lotus stays as the star of the show, though, and lilacy dragon's blood is in the number two spot.

Overall: It's strange, because at first I was like "nope, don't like this... don't like dragon's blood, don't like this suggestion of wine". But, um, I'll be damned if I don't keep whiffing my wrist (and the air around it... this stuff is potent, I'm in a cloud of this soporific dark red sweetness). The red musk really pulls it together, I think, and the dragon's blood calms down after a while and adds a great spice. I think I'll keep the imp, because it's lab fresh now and I think age would do this blend some good.

Edited by tajana

I don't understand this...Folks are really seeming to be loving on Blood Lotus, but all I'm getting is icky cherry flavored cough syrup. :( I really thought I would like this one, but I don't think I can bear to try it again. Unfortunately wretched on me. Swap pile for this one...

Takes a minute to come up from the start. The lotus is full and rich, and blends well with the blood.