Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lush, velvet-red blooms born from the blood shed in the eternal battle between Set and Horus the Avenger. Inspired by Tammy Roth.

Initial Impression:
Sweet and thick. Less sweet than dragon's milk though the scent is along the same lines. Almost fruity, but not. It's rich and the scent pulses like blood.

After Wearing It:
My first thoughts when I applied this were rich and full-bodied. It was thick and oozing in a syrup kind of way, sweet yet a bit tart. Languorous. I can definitely smell the Lotus here though there's no aquatic feel to the scent. The Lotus brings images of Egyptian religious orders, and this would be something they'd serve to drink before a more feverish, spirited ceremony.

I smell wine and Dragon's Blood in here as well, give the scent a round fruity aura, though in a heady, overripe sort of way. Makes me wonder if this is the Lotus version of the popular blood rose.

Final Thoughts:
This was lovely. I've been wanting to try Blood Rose but have been waffling about it since even though the reviews make it seem extra appealing, I don't often get on very well with rose blends. Lotus, on the other hand, is one of the few floral notes I embrace enthusiastically. So I might just skip Blood Rose all together and embrace this! Love it! Edited by Shollin

Sweetly resinous, with an underlying gentle floral that blooms as the scent dries down. Pale green flowers, flowing water, orchard breeze with ripe fruit hanging from the trees, and incense in the air.

An interesting combination, and not one that does much for me, but it's nice nonetheless. I think other BPAL addicts will like this one quite a bit, and it covers so many different types of scents that it will appeal to many different preferences.

We *wants* it! We *neeeeeds* it! (sorry, we watched The Two Towers again yesterday)

First Impression: As Violetta so eloquently put it "Sweet and Thick". But this sweetness is not fruity, sickly sweetness. This is deep, warm sweetness.

Second Impression: During dry down it's like a summer breeze cooling sunkissed skin. It's the perfect combination: sensual, warm, floral. I have not been able to stop sniffing my wrist for hours.

Final Analysis: This could be the personal scent I've been searching for. I am enamored of this scent. I can envision making up an entire bath and body line with this one.

First sniff from the imp: I'm guessing it's the lotus/dragon's blood. Heady, fruity, juicy, sweet.

Wearing on skin: I can still smell what I'm guessing is the lotus/dragon's blood. It smells sweet and tangy, like squishing plump, juicy grapes in my hands, and the scent that lingers in the air as the juice runs everywhere. After about an hour, a slightly musty scent comes up from below, while the juicy fruityness stays strong. It gives it a more authentic fruity scent, like the dust on the grape skins when you crush them.

I really like this, but I'm not sure it's me. It may end up as a room scent.

I have a feeling that those who like most of bpal's fruity scents will love this one. :P

ETA: After this dries down quite a bit, I really like it. It's still fruity and juicy, but not so strong. Maybe I just need to dilute it a bit and slather it all over. It seems to be long-lasting as well.

Edited by Vicious Mistress

First impression: really sweet and bubblegum-like - that must be the lotus.

On me: After it sat on my wrist for a bit, the dragon's blood started to take over, but the lotus was still there making it all syrupy. I do think sweet-fruity-scent fanciers would like this, but Blood Rose works way better for me. I'll probably swap Blood Lotus.

First sniff: Blood Lotus is magenta-coloured, wet and juicy and a tiny bit candyish.

Wearing: Warm and sweet and still bright fuchsia/pinky-purple. Very briefly on the way to work I could smell something warm and spicy on my wrist that I associate with dragon’s blood, but by the time it dried that part had vanished and it became a fruity-sweet scent. It’s nice, but not quite distinctive enough – I prefer Blood Rose.

This has simply got to be the most sexual thing I have ever smelled! It is like candy at first, cherry sweet, maybe a mixture of berries, but then it begins to glow on my skin like a red hot intense musk that really cannot be denied!

It is a scent that envelops me, surrounds me with heat and energy and just makes my pulse quicken. I love this scent as the Lotus seems to counteract the sweetness, since Blood smells just like Cherries on me. This has a definate musky scent to it that just makes my head reel!

Love it, love it, love it!

Rich and fruity in the bottle.

This remains a dark, fruity floral on me, rich and gorgeous but wierdly it's just not doing much for me mentally. It's not that it's not a lovely scent - it strikes a very nice balance between sweetness, floral, and something richer and emphatically red, but I prefer the more winey dry down of blood rose on me. Into the swaps so someone who adores it can find it.

While wet, this smells like bubblegum. The sweetness quickly disappears once dry...oddly enough, the drydown smells exactly like Lust on me. I like Lust, so Blood Lotus is alright with me.

This one to me is really sweet but once it touches my skin I could not really smell it too good. This one did not progress to bottle level for me but I did use up the imp. :P

Blood Lotus

When first applied this is very sweet; I can smell the Dragon’s Blood and I think cherry and musk.

As this dries it becomes less sweet and the cherry smell is no longer so obvious. I’m getting Dragon’s Blood and musk.

For quite some time I felt this was pleasant enough, but not terribly distinctive and then Beth worked her magic. The warm, sensual smell grew on me; it isn’t flashy but somehow melds and grows on you.

Edited by allamanda

Blood Lotus is in a word or two, sex on a stick.

In the bottle: Lush and richly flowered- deep bodied flower smells with an edge of sweetness. It must be the lotus really coming through.

Wet: Still lush and powerful but a new smell of cloves and maybe a touch of amber is rising to the fore.

Dry Down: Smells like hard candied flowers & clove- its a very sexual scent. It's a confident scent with very lustful overtones. It also has excellent staying power.

I'm certain I'll be wearing this one when I'm belly dancing with hand torches. It's just that kind of scent.

To me, the name aptly describes the scent. Dragon's blood with lotus. However, while at first, the dragon's blood made the lotus a bit tart, it's pretty much faded after three hours, just leaving lotus. But perhaps it's there, tempering it. I ordered this before I realized I didn't like lotus, so I suppose this is why I don't have much to say about it. As with all lotus scents, this seems very watery--not aquatic, but watery. Definitely lotus, then.

In the vial: Sweet, fruity and thick. I have my doubts.

Wet: Fruity, sweet and bubble-gummy. My doubts are increasing.

On drydown: The bubble-gummyness has gone away, but I'm left with a weird head-shoppy, resiny/incensey smell that I can't quite put my finger on. Just not my cup of tea. :P

In the vial: Juicy Fruit chewing gum, and that same horror my mouth gets when faced with something so sweet.

On: Hmm... Dark, musky...and about 20yrs too old for me :P Perhaps it's the lotus. This smells like an aunt. One who married someone rich, dresses impecably in designer clothing, is always made-up to perfection and has a very large house. With a tennis court. This smells expensive and like the perfume counter of House of Fraser. Or possibly even Harrods. This is a leather-interiored Jaguar. I keep catching a drift of scent and wondering where the sherry and large dogs are.

Dry-down: Oh bother, this has turned into the really tacky Femme Fatale EDT spray I bought for a pound at the cheapo cosmetics store.

I wanted to like this better, but I suspect it heads back to the swaps pile. :D

Edited by Lady Ravenglass

This is my first foray into scents containing dragon's blood, and unfortunately, Blood Lotus makes me smell like a piece of candy that could induce a diabetic coma. I hope that this is not due to the dragon's blood, since I've ordered several BPAL scents in which dragon's blood is featured prominently.

I don't do well with very sweet fragrances, so I won't be keeping this.

In bottle: Mostly a bright dragon's blood resin with a watery background. It's almost crystal-like.

On me: Very light. A watery lotus with bright berry-like dragon's blood undertones. It's very weak on me, and faded away after only an hour.

Blood Lotus.

Lotus always has this bubble-gum-like scent to me, and this starts out in exactly that way. There is something in there that makes this one brighter and at the same time more grounded. It doesn't morph a lot on my skin, it stays red and sweet.

At one time I put my wrist to my face and instinctively pulled it away after smelling it, thinking: "ugh, this smells metallic".. Not bad for a blood scent.

Yegads, this smells like Tootsie Pops on my skin! Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, as I am fond of smelling like sweets. But after a while, it's dried up to remind me of candy, but also of cherry lip balm. Hmm...

Blood Lotus is a good scent, but to me, not quite a great one. I could see myself really liking this oil if this was something that was a part of my first order, however I feel now that I am more familiar with what I like (alright, I'm more of a picky-puss).

This fragrance seems like it would be well-suited for a young girl, say in her early teens or tweens, or for anyone trying to encapsulate that whole "Jailbait" idea. It could also work for someone who really likes lighter scents that still maintain substance. I could see my mother or other women of her age wear this because it is still subtle without disappearing.

To me, though, there are a lot of other fragrances that are sweet and berry-licious that are stronger and more intense. Blood Lotus would be good for those of you who have coworkers or significant others who complain about how strong your bottle of Lampades or Hollywood Babylon is. It's kind of like a watered-down version of these and similar scents, the lotus curtailing the blood from being too dominant.

In terms of lasting-power, mine actually managed to stick with me thus far for about three hours. I'm going to wash it off, though, so I can try out more fragrances from my order.

In summary, Blood Lotus is very good, but I think it's not quite "me." I will pass this on to someone else who is new to BPAL.

-doreen

In the imp: Sweet lotuses and dragon's blood

Wet: Oiled wood/musk... WHAT?

Drydown: The lotuses mingle with that oiled note in a bad way.

Final thoughts: This doesn't smell good on me at all. I don't understand what happened. It smelled so promising in the vial, but turned weird on me. Lotuses and dragon's blood usually play very well on my skin, so I think there's something else in here that's messing things up. If I weren't positive that it's lotus & dragon's blood that I smell in the imp, I'd have thought I received a mislabeled imp of Black Lotus, because what this blend smells like on me sounds like that one. It's very earthy and very Egyptian on me. I don't understand! :P

Edited by inkstone

Wet, Blood Lotus smelled exactly like a blend of dragon's blood and lotus - no surprise there. It was all the things described above - thick and sweet and lush.

But as soon as it dried it turned into... cedar? Yes, cedar! This was an extremely odd transformation, though it sounds like inkstone also experienced something similar. And unfortunately, cedar + my skin = pencil shavings :P

Upon first sniff I really had no idea what lotus smells like...so I guess it's the sweet, juicy, nearly fruit note?

Normally anything with blood in the title or in the description doesn't work for me. Somehow it always ends up smelling fake barbie artificial plastic. However this time it worked out pretty well - if a little heavy.

The sweet rich scent on the imp became a deeper, smokier scent on my skin. The notes were all well-blended enough that I couldn't tell exactly what smelled like what. After thrusting my wrist under my bf's nose he replied, "Inscense." I'll have to agree. :P This is a very deep womanly inscense scent...and perhaps a little too heavy for me - but I'll give it another shot. :D

In the bottle: Blood Lotus smells like the sweet dragon's blood resin scents that I adore.

On my skin: The dragon's blood has a sweet, fruity edge that is juicy and seductive.

Drydown: The scent becomes sickly sweet almost like rotting fruit. It is a shame because it is just a hair's breath away from a scent I could love.

In the vial: Ow! There's something in it that goes straight to my sinuses, and for a minute I thought I might be allergic to it because there's something in it that makes my head hurt. I had two imps, though, so I figured I'd dilute one and try it, and trade the other if it still didn't work.

Diluted: It's sharp in the initial application, partly floral, part...is that cherry?...and part vetiver. It's a little smoky.

Drying: It's becoming much more floral and feminine, and whatever gave me the headache is going away. It's almost a little like Unseelie, though Unseelie was much heavier on me.

Dry: My husband likes it. Says it smells girlie and floral. I agree with him on the florals, and that it's sweet.

Overall: I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either. I'll probably use the second imp, but a big bottle isn't in my future.

Hmmm. I read the other reviews and think my nose is stuck.

In bottle: sweet, treacle/molasses, cherry?

On skin:

hit my sinuses with a whoof! I still smell hot caramel and cherries.

dry down-Tobacco, cherries, warm -mmmm-sugar. Musk? Odd, dark, intriguing. OOh I smell candle wax, too.

definitely a seduction smell.