Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rose-infused opium tar and leather.

Sniffed: Sweet, sugary rose and opium tar on a backdrop of discreet leather. Oh, this smells very much like Liz!

On skin: A mix of sweet pink rose and sheer black leather warmed by smoky opium tar. It succeeds in being lightly, sweetly feminine, but darkened and "Goth" at the same time. Vamp.Goth is a lighter, smoother, perhaps a bit flatter version of gritty-yet-sweet Liz. It also has the same rose note as Clermont, and is much better besides.

Verdict: Liz is one of my favourite blends, and Vamp.Goth is Liz when she was a girl. Even though I'm thankful that Vamp.Goth won't be ousting Liz from her position, I'm glad I have a half-decant to enjoy!

On my skin, this is a beautiful blend of roses and opium tar with the leather note emerging after several minutes. The rose is very tempered on my skin and I just love how long it stays on me. :wub2:

In the Imp (ITI): A very prominent Victorian rose seems to be the most prominent note here. I'm having trouble smelling the opium and the leather, even on second and third sniff.

Wet: The Victorian rose is still very prominent on my skin. There is just a very minuscule headiness from the opium, but I can't detect the leather at all.

Dry: After about 15 minutes, the leather starts to come through and the opium has strengthened a bit more. The rose has faded to the point that it is no longer the foremost note. However, this is still a very pretty combination, although not vampy enough (unless we are talking Lestat here).

I had friend pick this up for me at Bat's Day and he just got it to me today. :D So it's been aged almost two years.

This starts off as rose, rose, rose. It's a young rosewater type, and goes on my skin that way.

On the drydown the rose calms down a little bit. I can't detect the opium tar or the leather at all.

An hour in and I smell rose bubble bath. There's maybe a hit of leather but it's more like a light drapey suede, not a biker jacket. It reminds me of a crabtree and evelyn product I used in high school but I couldn't tell you which one.

Overall: Not what I expected. More sweet and approachable than the goth I was. The nostalgia of this scent is fun, but I was hoping it would be a little more of a disturbing scent.

In the imp: I'm getting leather with a hint of rose when I open the imp.

Wet on skin: The rose is a bit stronger on my skin, and I'm getting what I'd identify as tar, in that it reminds me a little of a freshly, freshly paved road or a tire. (WHich I don't think I'd normally want to smell like, but it's a subtle note, and blends witht he rose and leather beautifully)

Dried down: Interesting. The rose seems to be staying close to my skin, while the leather and opium tar float around my head, and there's a whiff of sweetness there I can't identify.

Throw: The scent floating around my head is dark, with little whiffs of brightness (that sweet scent I was getting) scattered around, like a bunch of fireflies that decided to play around in smoke. It's interesting. There's maybe a hint of rose in there, and it flares up every so often, but I have to sniff my wrists to rally get the rose. I love the scent close to my wrists, and I wish the scent in the air had a little more rose in it. But I do like it.

Verdict: **** There is something keeping me from giving this scent a five. I love the scent on my wrists, but I don't love the throw quite as much. But I'm definitely happy to have it.

This is a nice dark rose on me!  I like it a lot, though I doubt I would have used up a full bottle.  I can definitely get the vampire feel, especially a modern day leather-clad vampire!

I love roses, and love opium, so I knew I had to pick this up! Leather is very hit or miss on my skin but it was worth a try and I'm really glad I got a bottle of this. It's a dark, vampy rose scent. It's dark yet has a sweetness to it with is always a winning combination on my skin. The opium is definitely present here giving the rose a blackened, almost smokey feel to it, and the leather thankfully plays very nice on my skin. The leather is there, but it's a soft, almost comforting, vampy type of leather. It isn't harsh or sharp at all. On the very end of the drydown, the rose does take on a slightly soapy quality to it (which rose usually doesn't do on my skin), but again: this is only on the very end of the drydown and isn't a defining feature of the fragrance at all. Throughout its life, it's a very "dark romance" kind of scent. I'm absolutely keeping this.

This is a nice vintage rose, a little darkened, but I don't read leather or opium, more of a rose fougere. A vampire or vampire goth would smell great in this, yet my mind drifts more towards Evening With The Spirits/19th century ghost.

There are vague similarities to Alkemia's The Lover Tells of The Rose and Green Carnation, both of which contain a light patchouli note (either green or white). Many opium fragrance oils contain patchouli as a component, so I wonder if that is what I am picking up. Gratefully, it is the type of light patchouli that I love, that comes across as ephemeral, vintage, classy, minerally, almost like petrichor, fougere, or old cobblestone at historic sites as opposed to earthy oomph. 

I really like it.

If you missed this or ran out, give the above a try. Not straight dupes, but if you like this you might like those.

Tldr: Vintage green fougey, spooky rose.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak