Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

CABARET.GOTH
Inspired by European perfumes in the 1920’s: gardenia, amber, mandarin, orange flower, and sweet spices.

SPECIAL THANKS TO MY PICK-UP ANGEL FOR THIS LITTLE PIECE OF HEAVEN!

Cabaret.Goth was *not* one of the Bat's day scents that immediately stood out to me. Thank Gods I ended-up with a bottle of it, though, as it is really quite beautiful! Cab.Goth smells to me like The Lab's rendition of Hypnotic Poison. Only this isn't the standard version, it smells more like the deeply concentrated Elixir version, a scent which I LOVE passionately! It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I definitely detect a base of the smoothest-smelling anise (not licorice, anise), creamed-up by the amber and with a touch of those slightly spicy top notes. Not much gardenia/floral until the tiniest bit creeps in near the end. A soft and feminine scent that stays close, something which my collection sorely lacks. Very much a sophisticated blend and one that I see myself wearing lot throughout Spring and all the way into Fall! Edited by Shollin

This is really creamy in the bottle, it reminds me of the creamy ambery base in Glowing Vulva. As soon as I apply, I get orange, mandarin, and slightly spicy cream, which together smell like an orange creamsicle on my skin. :yum: Though not listed, I think I'm also getting a bit of vanilla in here, but cream isn't listed either and this smells really creamy to me. Next to amp is the gardenia and at this stage it starts reminding me of a creamier Sibyl. The gardenia continues to amp on me, at times I find it just a little bit high-pitched, but the soft spicy creamy base really helps with that, though the creaminess does weaken with time. This finally settles into a gardenia scent with a creamy citrusy base. :wub2:

A very, very big thank you to my Angel, Gypsy Rose Red for making all my Bat's Day wishes come true this year! :hug:

In the Bottle: Yes, I also get that cream-amber undernote from Glowing Vulva here. There's also something that smells like a note from Love's Philosophy, though no vanilla or cream notes are listed. Huh. :think:

Wet On Skin: Something of the spiciness of this reminds me of that spice-cream combo I get from Chimera. I think it might be the spice and amber together that are doing it. but amber usually goes to baby powder death on me, so I'm both thankful and also curious :lol:

Dry Down: This is a beautiful spicy skin musk, with tiny hints of citrus and amber wafting through. I get no gardenia from this, but it's a really special, very feminine scent. I, too, see wearing this throughout the warm months.

In All: Very low throw- I slathered this and I still had to put my wrist up to my nose to smell it- but that adds to the sweet and feminine qualities of this scent. A bit of spice, a touch of cream. Something ephemeral, magickal, is happening here, and I like it. A lot.

Total keeper. :lovestruck:

In the bottle: Creamy vanilla amber. Delicious.

Wet on skin: Slightly citrus-y and creamy vanilla amber. There is a very slight floral smell to it, but it's not overpowering.

Drydown: The spices start to come out, and they are sweet. I keep wanting to point out vanilla, but it's not a listed note. I swear it's in there though.

Dry on skin: This is just glorious. It blends together so sweetly, just wafting up to greet you and wrap you in a warm spicy shaw.

Overall: I get a very nice throw from this. It just wafts up to me every time I move my hands. It's sweet, spicy, creamy, and very feminine. I can totally see this being worn by a flapper in the '20's. It's sophisticated, but has a playful side. I just love it!

I have to agree with claudia6913 on this one, it starts out as a creamy vanilla amber and I amped that like crazy for the first two hours I've had it on even though it's not a listed note. The spices are just starting to peek out (heavenly!) and I'm hoping the florals might show up as well.

Overall, this is a wonderful scent that I'll be happy to smell all day long. :wub2:

Cabaret.Goth - This is an amazing scent. If I had more than one bottle, I would make it my signature scent. It's sweet and slighty on the foody-ish side of things, without being a gourmand or bakery type scent. The amber is the strongest note, sweetened up by the deliciously yummy spices, and the gardenia, which I thought would ruin the whole thing for me, somehow manages to improve the scent in a rich and heady way. God, I'm so in love with this scent. It's very strong, and a little goes a long way, so hopefully my bottle will last a long time because this is the kind of scent that makes me think I could easily give up at least half of my collection in lieu of this once fragrance. True love. :heart: :heart: :heart:

First applied I smelled powder immediately and went :eek: but it quickly changes into a sweet slightly citrus pretty amber, and is really lovely. The vanilla I thought I smelled disappears quickly and the spices peak out, but it's still really nice and I think will be great for summer.

ETA Much love to my pick up angel too!

Edited by violetblue

This is lovely, a very "classic" style perfume, which makes sense given the inspiration. I noticed that a couple of other folks mentioned it being somewhat foody on them, but it really isn't on me. I definitely get the amber, mandarin, and gardenia. The gardenia is mostly noticeable if I sniff close to where I applied, the throw is more about the creamy amber and ahint of those sweet spices. I do think this needs some time to rest, but I think it is going to improve with a little age and I am very grateful to my lovely pick-up angel for snagging me a couple of bottles! :wub2:

ETA: Once this had a little more time to dry down I totally got the creaminess that other reviewers had mentioned. This is really a gorgeous, glowing scent. I was afraid of the gardenia when I first read the description, but it is really beautiful in this, and not at all overwhelming.

Edited by Hillary

Love at first sniff! A creamy amber note reminds me of Glowing Vulva, I know this is going to be good. :heart: I don't get much gardenia on my skin. I can tell it's there, but it's more of a support note rather than a starring one. The "sweet spices" are non-existent, but maybe I don't realize what I'm smelling. I agree with cfrancesca, this is like a creamier version of Sybil. Cabaret.Goth is a super-feminine, golden perfume and I'm lucky to have had a fairy snag this for me.

The mandarin is really nice in this one. Super realistic and juicy, it adds a totally different vibe to the orange flower/blossom in here. A very smooth floral that is sweet and in no way overpowering or powdery, the amber is a bit creamy and glows in this. Very pretty and definitely feminine.

Wet: Creamy Amber and Vanilla and spices. Dry: Creamy amber vanilla and spices and gardenia. As gorgeous as this is...I have been trying to figure out where I have smelled this before and then it hit me...:thud: this is the amber from L'Estate with spices and gardenia. The gardenia is giving me a headache. Every time I smell this my head hurts. Lovely to try but I am so glad that it is going on to a new home. :D

"Creamy" can sometimes be really good on me and sometimes too buttery. This is one of the buttery times. Scents like Love's Philosophy and Glowing Vulva didn't do well on my skin and this is bordering on "not good" with my chemistry. It's buttery-creamy orange, slightly reminiscent of something like Jingo-Kogo but less orangey, more cream. I'll try this out again in a while but this is a miss for me in this batch of Goths.

Edit: The more I wear this, the more it seems like Bakeneko on me. It must be a similar amber. Bakeneko, as cute as I find the bottle, is a powdery grandma perfume on me and so is Cabaret.Goth, sadly. I smell orange-musty! :(

Edited by Ondine

I can't help myself from trying this one even though I just received the bottle today! Review might change after my bottle has had time to sit! ;)

Wet: Mmmmm! That is some yummy orange! Reminds me of PL176! This is orange and some creaminess whereas PL176 was orange and sugar (in my opinion!).

Oh, my! This scent just gets better as it dries! The orange backs off a little bit and lets the creaminess shine! I am getting a bit of a Glowing Vulva vibe (with added orange of course!).

Everything is blending together so perfectly! Thankfully the gardenia never takes over! Everything is just creamy and comforting!

:wub2:

Thanks so much my amazing Bats Day Angel!

Hm. I *wish* I got the creamy orange - instead, this is a buttery vanilla with gardenia, and although it's pleasantly pretty when it dries, it's certainly not outstanding. Maybe I just own too many awesome BPAL vanilla blends! I'll keep a bottle, but my backup is going to swaps.

In the decant this was wonderful and creamy and made my mouth water just a bit. On my skin I caught just a glimpse of the orange then it was just flowers, flowers, flowers. Too perfumy for me. :(

A very creamy amber and vanilla! There's something else in the background which must be the spices, which rounds out the scent and keeps the vanilla from going plastic and the amber from going baby-powder. I didn't get much mandarin, if any, and only a hint of gardenia.

This is nothing short of amazing. In the bottle it's creamy vanilla amber, but once it hits my skin the mandarin and the spices bloom and it's completely beautiful. It reminds me of Love's Philosophy, with the creamy vanilla spice, but as it dries, the blast of mandarin dies down a bit and the gardenia floats out around the edges. Such a relief, I was terrified that the flowers were going to ruin this for me, but it's lovely! It does remind me of Glowing Vulva. Maybe the love child of Glowing Vulva and Love's Philosophy, if that makes any sense. The glowing creamy amber of GV mixed with the vanilla spice of LP, with juicy mandarin and a bare hint of flowers.

Emoticon verdict: :wub2:

Oh my.. this is lovely! As a diehard anti-gardenia person, colour me shocked :D

The stars of this show is the mandarin and orange flower, which combine with the amber to produce a beautiful waxy/creamy orange tone that's perfectly balanced between dry and sweet. The sweetness of the spices provides a beautiful foundation for the creamy orange - there's really nothing here that isn't working beautifully for me. There's a vanilla-like tone to this which reminds me of the boozy vanilla in XCDL13, but since vanilla isn't a listed note I can only surmise that it's the amber producing that vanilla tone.. or maybe there's some vanilla-like spices in the mix.

And the gardenia? Well.. normally this is a note of certain death for me - it usually goes sharp, sour and cat-pee like on my skin. But not here.. it's soft and subtle here in a similar way to how the jasmine in The Girl is. Actually, Cabaret Goth reminds me a little of The Girl - but CG is definitely orange, where The Girl (in my mind) is pink. It also reminds me of the creamy orange in Lilith vs. the Giant Crab, although CG is more complex and less sweet.

Glowing, creamy, soft - this really is a beautiful scent.

It's really, really pretty. Creamy and citrus and vanilla lovely ~ but I have a vanilla chaos that's similar ~ more citrus and less cream but I think I like it better on me. Still this is lovely and I will gladly use my tester up ~ and try to find more oils with orange flower in them.

I hadn't read the reviews before receiving my bottle -- I like trying to sort things out myself XD -- but I was hoping for some gardenia and orange blossom love.

In the bottle: Creamy and sweet. "Cake" was the first thing that came to mind, although it doesn't smell precisely foody.

Wet: I think someone above said "orange creamsicle" and that's about what I got. The mandarin is bright and clear, as citrus notes usually are for me when wet, but there's also a creamy vanilla/amber sweetness right along with it. Not really catching any floral notes.

Dry: A straight-up sweet vanilla-y sort of scent. D'oh! I expected the mandarin to fade -- citrus always does -- but I was hoping for a hint of florals. Alas.

I could definitely see folks loving this, but it's just not for me. :tongue:

I get a perfumey white floral gardenia, a warm and sweet vanilla dusting powder feel from the amber, and hints of orange. Strong and kinda reminds me of Mouse's Long & Sad Tale and Pumpkin Princess.

Edited by Little Bird

Oh my. This is absolutely beautiful. On my skin, the orange flower is prominent and creamy and I am reminded of a less-sharp, slightly floral and more complex Chimera. It is sophisticated and feminine in an absolutely adult way. This will be divine on summer nights.

CabaretGothSS-Ti.jpg

I really, really wanted to like this, because it just sounded so good. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. On my skin, it turns to a sickly sweet vanilla powdery kind of thing, almost reminiscent of vanilla pudding mix, which is I know the fault of the amber note. Amber is rarely kind to my skin, but I saw the other notes and had hopes, because sometimes the amber is dominated enough by other things that it plays nice. Oh well...

Im not getting the sweet creamy amber that I was hoping for, but Im defientely getting a Cabaret scent ;) I think this is the gardenia and orange flower together -- but I swear I smell tobacco at the bottom. This is intriguing and almost smoky.

summary: tobacco and smoky amber, slightest hint of orange flower/gardenia mix

For me, the vanilla is definitely the foodie kind. I get something that smells like cake and amber, with touches of gardenia and orange blossom.

Pretty, but not for me.