Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

RPG Combos

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab’s RPG scent series was designed to emulate the character creation process, and are meant to be layered in order to create a character concept. In short: you layer your class, race, and the two fragrances that compose your alignment to construct your character scent.

Elf + Mage (Pale golden musk, honeycomb, amber, parma violet, hawthorne bark, aspen leaf, forest lily, life everlasting, white moss, and a hint of wild berry plus gurjum balsam, Sumatran dragon's blood resin, olibanum, galangal, oleo gum resin, and frankincense)

Expectations: Elf, by itself, is a sweet honey and berries smell on me. In the imp, Mage smells sharp enough that I'm not sure if Elf's sweetness will tame it.

Application method: Elf on both wrists, Mage on both forearms.

Wet: Sharp herbal greenery -- a bit too sharp for me.

Drydown: The sharpness backs off, thankfully, and the whole things turns sweetly fruity. It smells more like apples to me than berries, strangely enough.

Dry: This settles into something really complex and beautiful. Smoky, incense-y, with an herbal component that's a little sweet without being actually fruity to my nose. It's gorgeous, and I'm so glad I gave it a try despite my expectations!

I blended Paladin with Goblin to make something for a friend of mine who has a goblin cavalier character, and it smelled eerily like old-fashioned scented face powder.

at this point i have tried cleric, rogue, ranger, elf and neutral (haven't tried lawful yet), but all have been solo attempts thus far. today, i decided to blend up an homage to my old WoW character (rifqua <3), a discipline-specced night elf priest...in simpler terms: a neutral elf cleric.

at first i was a little nervous that i had just created a big mess. while it was wet, it started to feel a little flowery (which i do not care for) and my heart sank a little. then it dried off a little and the amber and musk notes opened up.

2 hours in and while the amber and musk are definitely dominant, i'm still getting delicious little occasional hints of the frankincense and myrrh (it makes me feel like i've been sitting in a temple full of incense) and a tiny hint of the berry peeking through.

i think my next try will be elf rogue, then elf ranger. not sure whether to go neutral or lawful, since i have both.

this was my very first attempt at combining any BPAL scents, and i must say i am really enjoying the experience quite a bit, even though my boyfriend pointed out that when he played D&D, you couldn't be a elf cleric. rifqua thumbs her nose at him. :)

giving neutral rogue a try today. i love love love rogue on its own...the leather feels well-worn and comfortable to me. i've sniffed neutral a few times and it is a fabulous musk, but not something i'd wear on its own. i have found the mix of the two to be delicious...the neutral cuts down on the masculine tones of the rogue (which i love, but it's nice to mix it up) and opens up the leather scent even more. i'm really digging this combo and will definitely be wearing it again.

I layered Lawful and Good since I play a paladin but only got those scents... XD

It is pretty great! Good sweetens up Lawful but the Lawful gives the Good a depth that I was missing in the Good alone. I got the guys at my gaming group to sniff and they were like 'hmm, smells like order'. I suspect they were joking, but still. It's definitely a really good combination. I think I might try a little bit more Good next time, since the Lawful was quite a bit stronger. Still, these two work very well together for me.

I finally got myself a bottle of Good, I also already have Elf :P

so I will try this today or tomorrow :yum:

and offcorse come back to review here ;)

A character I play in a panfandom RPG has the most adorable crush on Legolas, so tonight I decided to try Neutral Good Elf Ranger (I might have gone with Rogue, except I'm allergic to it, and it's found a better home)

I'm going to have some seriously good dreams tonight; I can tell. And my cat seems to think I'm the best thing since her tuna and shrimp gooshy food.

It starts out strong with all the evergreens, but then the musks bloom. I don't get much leather, more like the faint scent of leather left on the skin after you've taken off the leather clothing. Hints of berry brighten things up, and there's a so soft, creamy honey note hanging out in the background. I cannot stop sniffing myself.

Even better...my grandmother got one of the reed fragrance diffusers for Christmas, some kind of lemon-lavender, way too plasticky and overpoweringly strong, blend*. She loves it. It gives me a terrible headache. And I had to spend several hours in the room with it tonight. Even though I'm not in that room now, it wasn't until I put on NG Elf Ranger that the headache went away.

*I'm seriously considering pouring out some of the oil and replacing it with a neutral-scent base oil, if I can remember what I've done with my sweet almond or jojoba. A friend suggested it after I asked if it was wrong of me to pour out a goodly amount so what was left would get gone faster. But diluting it seems like an even better idea.

Neutral-Good Halfling Ranger

MUSK with metal and a hint of Yankee Candle Store. I really wish the Halfling and good would have a stronger presence in this mix.

Goblin Mage: Fizzy sharp ginger, rich warm dragon's blood, a ton (as you might expect) of juniper-y woody notes, and just a hint of smoke. I really like this combination! The only drawback is that neither element seems to last long on my skin, and after a while I mostly end up just smelling faintly of gin. High-end gin, at least... :D

Evil gnome fighter- a little bizarre, but I like it a lot. Most of what I'm grabbing from fighter is the blood note, darkening Gnome's effervescence. Adding evil to the mix made it even darker, but mostly like a lovely smoke note. So, a bloody, smoky gnome.

I love Evil Gnome - a smoky yet fizzy scent - but today I'm trying Evil Gnome Paladin, which I think is a mistake! It started off turning into a weird floral soap once it dried. After a couple of hours it now only gives me beeswax with a tiny hint of Gnome's original fizzy ginger.

Edited by ReallyZeb

So, in order to save me from buying every freakin' bottle in the series, I'm going the route of testing them one by one before combining anything. I really want to cull it down as much as possible before I jump into mixing things, falling in love with everything and being flat broke. I've noticed so far the only thing that's lasted well on me is Elf. Anyway, here are my notes so far. Oh, and I avoided reading the labs descriptions just to see what I get without having my perceptions colored.

My Impressions

Cleric: Wood notes with rose. It's pretty powder-y and a bit like incense.

Mage: Woody, something sweet like grape and incense.

Rogue: Wonderful! Well-oiled leather and hemp. Something a little animalistic is in there, too.

Paladin: Butter-y soft pale suede, musk and a foody sweetness. Vanilla.

Fighter: Almost straight leather, like a western wear store. Maybe a bit ozone-y?

Ranger: At first it's a little acrid, resin and evergreen. Quickly morphs with a sweet wild berry smell with something like Black Hellebore. Yum!

Halfling: This faded the fastest, but I got a nice and sweet oatmeal smell.

Elf: this was by far the strongest. Started off kind of herbal and evergreen, but morphed into a honeysuckle-like sweet floral. Awesome!

Gnome: Omg, not good. Astringent and prickly, kind of sweet and sour at one. Very green with lots of ginger.

Good: Soapy and powdery, sweet and a bit floral. Not great for me.

Chaotic: Dusty grape with something root-like and a bit earthy. A teeny bit of a floral, too.

My Combos

Chaotic Gnome: Wow, this improves Gnome so much! They go strangely well together, and Chaotic really takes the acrid edge off of Gnome. This is a really green, sweet and earthy smell. So neat, they actually compliment each other really well! (Still not for me, though).

My Next Trials

Chaotic Rogue

Paladin Elf

Zomg, I'm doomed to buy everything, I know it. :o

Edited by Innocuousmold

Chaotic Mage Dwarf has been my go-to scent combo for the past couple days (not close to the character I'm playing at the moment, which is an Unnaligned Hexblade Drow).

The leather/resin/musk mix is very potent, lasts through out the day, and give me +5 to Charisma!

Hopefully, I can find some more monies soon because I need to buy this entire collection ASAP.

not a pure RPG combo but uh...i tried rogue and snake oil together today. :thud: most sexy, spicy, delicious leather EVER. i HIGHLY recommend this combo.

I got terribly excited about the idea of blending RPGs but I haven't done very well with it :( First I tried Ranger and Lawful and they were lovely together but seemed to lack something - they're a bit similar. Any other oil I've tried with them has messed up the balance somehow though. I'm considering trying Good or maybe Evil.

The other RPGs I like are Half-elf and Neutral but unlike most reviewers I only like them on their own. Half-elf in particular I love, I find it terribly sexy. So clearly it would be daft not to be happy about that, it just didn't work out quite how I expected.

ETA - I'm wrong, you know - Half-elf and Ranger and incredible together, after they settle. They don't mesh well to start with. I guess I just wasn't patient enough before (hardly a first).

Edited by Quillifer

Not a true RPG combo, but I had to try

Lawful + Spanish Red Carnation SN: The carnation SN is still dominant, but the lawful brings a touch of sweetness and added woody complexity to it. It's less spicy, and I think I get a hint of rhubarb.

Lawful + Annurca Apple Blossom SN: So the woodiness in the Lawful grounds the Apple Blossom, and tempers it. The Apple Blossom's fruitiness brings out more of the fig leaf. It ends up like a more complex, woody Apple Blossom. I quite like it!

Cleric + Lawful

Rose, rhubarb and woods

Cleric + Halfling

Foodie rosey resin.

Paladin + Lawful

Powdery lawfulness

Paladin + Halfling

Pencil shavings + cookies

Mage + Evil

This smells like a deeper, more resinous Evil. It has a level of sweet resins that Evil didn't have

Mage + Chaotic

Spicy Mage. However, this emphasizes some of the woodier components.

Tried Chaotic Evil this morning. Definitely an improvement over Evil on its own. Still a little more "pefumy" than I would prefer, but will definitely remember it for the future.

Half-Elf + Bard = :thud: (in the best way!)

This is a *fantastic* combination! The sweetness of Bard softens and mellows the slight harshness of the sandalwood that I sometimes get from Half-Elf. I wind up with this amazing cloud of honey-tinged, slightly musky, slightly spicy, woody beeswax with the underlying richness of the oudh plus the brighter top notes of the tea and the... uh... I guess the strings and the brass? :) Really, really nice.

Edited by Wwindy

Three combos today.

Evil Elf: Reminds me of Poison, which my mom wore back in the day. I think she would have liked this. :) Doesn't stick around for very long, though.

Evil Paladin: I don't care for this wet; it doesn't really seem to go together, which makes sense given the concept. Much better as it dries down, but not incredible.

Chaotic Evil Elf: Wow! This combo really amps the wild berry and/or black plum notes. I think I like this the best out of the three I tried today. :)

Chaotic Evil Paladin: Meh. I can definitely smell the individual fragrances, but they really don't blend well together.

Chaotic Evil Elf Paladin: Yes, this. The Elf adds a sweetness and berry-ness to it, and it is lovely. I've noticed with all the layerable scents that when they work, they *really* work.

Not quite an RPG combo, but...

The Peacock Queen of Good Rogues = NUMMY sweet leather and rose. wub2.gif

I think it might say something about me that a number of the RPG scents had a major fail on my skin but the ones that don't work well together or alone.

Today, I wore True Neutral Gnome Rogue and it was delicious. Bright, slightly musky but clean leather with ginger and woods.

Neutral and Rogue together are also amazing.

Gnome and Rogue, also good.

Neutral Gnome is so bright and effervescent it's almost painful (in a good way? :lol: )

Ok so my go to combo has been Chaotic+Good+Elf+Ranger (the hay in Ranger helps keep it from going too sweet) but I recently grabbed neutral and chaotic (on sale at thinkgeek) and have been wearing it to work. It's awesome!! Lasts all day long and I tend to feel a bit chaotic neutral at work so it fits perfect! :D