Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Neutral is so pretty in the vial. It's a simple, gently, wispy musk. It's even muskier on me and has moderate throw. I find though that after half-an-hour or so, Neutral goes a bit too musky on me, like on the bitter side of musk. It's alright but not bottle-worthy for me.

From the imp: musk! Getting hints of red musk but not as strong as some of the other scents with r.m.

On, it's all unadulterated sweet musk, still getting hints of red - I love this. Great throw - the hubby could smell it from downstairs.

Dry, still quite musky, has lost the red leaning and is just sort of a 'musky' smell, slightly dusty, slightly hay like.

This is very nice... very glad it's a GC! I'm not one for layering but this might have to be layered under some other favourites! :lol:

In the imp: Musk, but a lot heavier than expected. The oil is bright red, too, which surprises me.

On skin, wet: Slightly sweet, but still heavy musk. Definitely more red musk than skin musk.

On skin, dry: Same as before--heavy red musk.

After an hour: Department store perfume counter. ACK.

ITI: It does smell like musk and freshly cleaned skin with a hint of lavendar. It’s certainly alluring in its simplicity.

Wet: Musk and powdery freshness with a little lavender or a “clean” note.

Dry: After several hours, the musk becomes less sharp and closer to the skin. It’s nice it you want just a hint of scent without being offensive.

Sniffed: A pale, cozy, gentle musk. Smooth and sheer, I can already tell that it would be a great skin scent.

On skin: Neutral embodies gentle and discreet -- quite fitting for its name. This is a lovely gentle musk, all rounded without any sharp edges, more smooth than fuzzy, but still cozy and soft and musky-"matte". This musk is lightly sweet with a breath of zesty sparkle; I suspect that it is a mix of white and blue musks, perhaps with a touch of ozone, citrus and florals (I'm reminded of jasmine in particular). Neutral is definitely discreet and inoffensive: it does nothing to draw attention to itself. But I can see how it would blend nicely with the other RPG scents. Colour impression is a pale blue-white.

Verdict: Like the other RPGs, Neutral is very simple, and beautiful in its simplicity. If worn alone, it would only be suitable for a private event, such as curling up alone with a book in the evening. Otherwise, it's too discreet and soft for any other occasions -- I suppose that's what being neutral is all about! I appreciate its simple beauty, but it's not for me.

Neutral (prototype bottle?)

On the skin: Musk! Lovely lovely musk! Ever so slightly orange musk? It smells like clean freshly washed skin when you use an orange scented soap! I REALLY like this! It sticks fairly close to my skin and would be the PERFECT scent for work! Something that smells nice, but doesn't have a whole lot of throw.

KEEPER!

Sweet, smooth musk, with a red undertone. There is a honeyed floral fruity element to this that keeps it from being too simple- but it's still simple enough to be great for those days when you want to reach for something unfussy that ticks all the boxes. At first I thought this would be perfect for layering. Now I think it would be perfect any which way. I love this. I would be more than happy for my skin to smell of this naturally!

Bottle worthy for sure!

Bottle: Fruity, sweet, plummy musk. Smells like Smut.

Wet: That cool-night-air musk that I like so much in Illustrated Woman and Buck Moon, along with a lot, and I mean a lot, of sweet fruity red musk. Some of that quickly dies back to a more well-behaved skin musk but this is a lot stronger and more aggressive than I thought it would be.

Dry: A generic but well-behaved musk. Smells a bit like something one would buy at a department store, and is entirely too sweet and not "clean" enough for me. Oh well, glad I got to try it!

yep, slightly sweet, ever so slightly floral musk ... perfect scent when you just want to smell SEXY without smelling of any particular specific thing? It kind of has crystaline floral overtones on the drydown and yes PERFECT for layering.

This is what I expected Good to be like, but instead I can barely smell that one on my skin and this one just shines like a warm beacon. It's sweet gold with a vanilla vibe and something like hay or sweet grass. Visually I picture amber but it doesn't have the same resin-powder dry down that I get from most ambers. It just stays golden and sweet. It's not close wearing on me-- I can really smell this no matter how little I put on. I haven't really layered it because it seems so identifiable to me and I can't imagine it with anything else. About once a month several friends and I get together and have all out team wars playing Lord of the Rings RISK and I've been wearing this every time we play. We've been doing it since about 2003 and whether there's ten of us or three of us, everyone has developed their own little ritual or talisman and this one has become mine. I've been slathering this on for our gaming sessions for almost a year and it just doesn't feel the same without it. I think it gives me an advantage. ;) I'm a competitive pyscho when I play boardgames and I need all the extra edge I can get so I don't bust out the crazy if I lose.

I love it and besides smelling so good it has the bonus of carrying with it all of my amazing LOTR memories.

Edited by veridian

Hmm. I don't get cleanliness and fuzziness from this - I get seriously x rated sexuality. Woomph. Ooooh yeah. Mmmmm. Very nice to add to things that need a shot of va va voom. Then again I find the same with Half-Elf too. (but oddly not with Lust, which so many reviewers rave about).

This does exactly what the description says - it's a flawless skin musk.

In the bottle: This is totally bizarre, I can't smell anything at all.

On Me: Honestly, it smells like I just stepped out of a great, hot shower. Completely clean but just... that fresh skin smell.

On Spouse: Wet, it's that same clean-from-the-shower smell but slightly different (of course.) However, dry, it's a slightly musky leather. How my spouse turns non-leather scents into leather and loses the leather in leather scents is beyond me.

Wet: Sweet musk.

Dry: Really, really light musk. Not so amazing on its own, but I can see how this one would be great for layering!

3/5

Wet: It smells sweet and peach-colored. Musk-wise it sort of smells like a neutered red musk, if that makes any sense.

Drydown/Dry: Early in the drydown I got a bit of a creamy floral vibe from it. After that it goes back to the sweet, peach-hued musk. It smells both good and bad, which is sort of funny considering the concept. It’s oddly sweet. It actually reminds me of a number of other BPAL’s that don’t quite work on me. Mostly vanilla-based ones, like Dragon’s Milk and Snake Oil, but also Chimera. I’m now wondering if skin musk is a secret note in some of those, and perhaps partially guilty for some of my vanilla issues. Interesting food for thought... Anyhoo, I’d bet this smells awesome on most people. And it does kinda smell good on me. But it also kinda smells bad too, in a sickly sweet and creamy sort of way.

Very soft, slightly sweet musky smell. Good layering. Put it next to Rogue and it's already starting to do nice things. =)

I would have guessed this was a floral blend before looking up the description. It's very sweet on me and really seems like a medium-pitched white floral, not that I could put my finger on what exactly. Now that I know it's supposed to be "skin musk" I can see that, especially in the throw which is quite faint and clean, but up close I cant quite shake the floral association. I'd classify it as what I refer to as "soft" blends.. those that dont fit a general note feel ("leather" or "floral" or "tea") and are just warm and cozy. Black Opal is another blend I put in this category.

Anyway, it's lovely in that nondescript, easy to wear sort of way. Work appropriate.

Call me crazy, but this smells quite a lot like Michael Kors perfume on me: a creamy white floral! I love it, though, and drying down it's definately musky, indolic, but in a sweet, clean rather than salty, way. It's not the swarthy skin musk I know in say, Le Lethe. It's nearly fruity...there's a tanginess like berries or an underipe peach. It's simple yet interesting, and altogether pleasent. Some days we need that in a fragrance!

Edited by lookingglass

I got this as a frimp from the Lab and opened it yesterday when I was testing something else just to get an idea, since I had no idea what musk might smell like, and I was overwhelmed (in a good way) with the sweetness and almost put it on my skin immediately.

In the imp and on my skin, wet and dry: deliciously sweet. It feels pale green to me, and made me think of cucumber, although mostly it smells fruity (something bursting with juice) and floral. Clean. Pretty on my skin for hours. Inoffensive but not boring.

I don't think I want to smell this all the time, but it's definitely pretty.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Clean, just-washed skin with a light hint of soap.

Wet: The same. The soap is ever so slightly floral.

Neutral doesn’t morph, though it becomes stronger as it warms on my skin. I finally realized what it reminds me of: my mom’s Finesse shampoo from the 80s and 90s.

I haven’t layered any of the RPG scents yet, but I like Neutral on its own.

huh, this is not what i expected at all but it's a pleasant surprise! it's a pure, skin-musky tuberose. i looove tuberose so i am really loving this. a little later on a very slight greenery comes out behind the tuberose, yum. this is almost a tuberose single note on me, which is fine by me. perfect for warm summer days. i am SO happy bpal has been doing more tuberose lately. it is delectable, especially in summer. :wub3:

ETA: about 2 hours later this is a soft tuberose-vanilla. gorgeous.

Edited by theseagrows

First impression of Neutral is bubble bath. I get some kind of soft fruit scent I can't place, along with a soapy note, and together they're making bubble bath smell.

At about the half-hour point it's recognizable as musk. It's a soft, light, femme, powdery, florally musk and reminds me of some of the perfumes my grandmother favored (not "old ladies," mind, but my specific grandmother). It stays close to the skin and doesn't morph much.

Unlike Druid (the only other RPG I've tried so far), I think Neutral really does need to be layered to reach its full potential. Druid felt more "complete" in itself. I may have to experiment to figure out what this might go with. I do find it pleasant and it seems to work well with my chemistry.

The lovely Lab threw this one in as a freebie for me. I really, really like this. I totally agree with Vega's review above, pale blue-white, jasmine, and to my nose, I get a touch of lilac. Neutral smells very similar to Ralph Lauren's Blue, which I wore for years until it started to give me hives for some reason. Clean, soft skin musk, floral, I get no fruit notes that others describe.

I put it in my room diffuser also and it's amazing as a room scent also.

It's my old fave, Ralph Lauren Blue, reincarnated!