Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin.

Frimp fresh from the Lab. Rogue is much nicer than I expected. I can't wear Fighter - it has that raw uncured leather smell that resembles red musk and takes over on my skin. This is a lovely soft leather backed up by rosin and hemp. The leather dominates on the inside of my wrist, the hemp and rosin are more apparent on the outside of my wrist, for what that's worth. I'm sure this would smell great on a guy if you had one who would consent to wear scent, but I think it smells pretty great on me. Average wear length and not much throw.

Lab imp!

In the imp: Leather and rosin! Straightforward. I can't pick out the hemp, but it's not really missed.

Worn and fairly fresh: Like Fighter, this sits on me in layers. At a distance, I primarily get the warm, resiny glow of the rosin. The closer I get to my arm, the more the leather comes out, and this definitely feels like black leather, although it's a worn, broken in, loved leather, not the showy, stiff sort.

Long term: The hemp never shows up particularly, or it's parceled into the rosin. The longer it's on, the more the leather fades and insinuates itself into the leather, like it's getting worked down into it, until it finally fades in a warm, golden glow, like you just missed someone's sleek form slipping by you in the dark. Very appropriate for a rogue, indeed.

Frimp: I just purchased a bottle of Ranger after falling in love with the frimp. We'll see how this goes. I amp leather, so that is automatically what I can smell first. Hmm, baby powder is coming out. Leather and baby powder is a bizarre combination! It smells nicer now, the balance seems better. But I already have 2 leather scents so am unsure what this has to offer me. I do like the softness of it though, so will keep the imp and see how often I use it.

Wet: reminds me of that pungentness of rosemary maybe hemp. Tobacco. I'm also getting what I think is rosin but it smells too minty to me, but not leathery or hempy. It honestly doesn't smell leather to me. 
On: musky, minty. A bit sweet. Does not remind me of leather, it's not as warm, maybe because of the rosin / mint element. I hoped rosin (pine) would be less minty on me than other mints, because mints tend to over power on me, and unfortunately I was wrong.)
Drydown: i think I would prefer this on me without the rosin. The leather appears to come out a bit, it's warmer, but the minty rosin doesn't work on me. It very lightly smells like hemp but rosin remains throughout the whole scent. Not for me. 

In the imp: A slight sweetness I wasn't expecting. Must be the rosin. 

On my skin:

The sweetness continues. Wet, it almost has a pine sap quality. As it dries, it neutralizes to more reminiscent of honey or beeswax. Once it has some time to get to know my skin, a soft, almost powdery worn leather note emerges. It's drier than the rosin but still tinged with a touch of sweetness. Given more time, a smoky note begins to emerge that might be how I'm reading the hemp. (I basing this on the idea that I also get a smoky note, that I otherwise cannot identify, in Banshee Beat.) 

This is actually really nice. Nice enough that I might be able to wear it on its own.

Mmmm, I loooove this. The resin reads like the beeswax from Lights of Men's Lives, and the leather note is incredibly soft, almost a smoke note instead. No hemp detected. It smells like Lights of Men's Lives got sexy.

Wet: the black leather is quite nice here. Not too strong or shouty. A polite background player to the warm rosin and fuzzy hemp. Comfy cozy, kinda sexy and tousled and worn-in. Fits the name.

Mid: Stays pretty much the same, but the leather starts to recede just a bit as everything blends together. The rosin and hemp become golden and glowy like a buttery rich amber skin musk.

Settled in: I sat here for a while tryna figure out why the hell this is so familiar. It's Pert Plus. Pert Plus and cocoa butter, maybe. It's ridiculously comfy and casual like a favorite pair of worn-in jeans on a long weekend. Your best friend from school grew up and got really sexy over the summer break. But yeah, Pert Plus mostly. 

This is the kinda scent where someone coming in for a nice snuzzle would think you just smell really good naturally. You Plus.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

This smells good.  The leather is more of a warm, snuggly brown smell.  This isn't flashy.  The hemp and rosin add some sweet waxiness and a dry vegetal note.  

I really want to like Rogue, and it doesn't smell BAD, it just ... 

Stay with me here, it smells like the inside of a new car. Like you just got into a new car at the car dealership, and there's a fancy car air freshener hanging from the mirror, and the salesman's sitting next to you, and he's NOT greasy or anything, he's actually very well put together (you think maybe he moisturizes with cocoa butter). But. 

It's still new car smell. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME, I want this to smell like daring misdeeds, not a Honda dealership! 😭

Maybe this will smell better on my husband. Who knows. I believe skin chemistry can be a wild thing sometimes. 

In the imp: Mostly I get hemp on top of super soft leather, with maybe a touch of rosin adding sweetness. 

On my skin: Sweet rosin and leather, kind of a suede feeling rather than a hard or shiny leather. Overtones of hemp play on the sweetness of the rosin. It’s a clean, outdoorsy smell instead of the cloying mustiness that hemp could bring and finishes with that soft comforting leather/rosin. The overall mood doesn't say "rogue" to me, but I enjoyed the scent a lot anyway.  

Hippie love nostalgia.  Hemp magick.  Before you know you'll be learning macrame and permaculture.  Utopian and delicious. More suede than leather to my nose. Softness. Kind of disappears, just like all my ex boyfriends 😥 then lingers just like all of my ex boyfriends 😖 smells way better too 😂

Edited by theasylph

Cozy, soft, warm. Not super leathery or hempy on me, not cedary or barny. Rosin, sweet vague benzoin. Pretty, adorable, not raucus. Reminds me of the little wooden doll and aureus in my scent memory, but uhhhh, minus the woods. Recommended!

Another RPG frimp! Thanks Lab. Rogue is a nice worn leather, warm, I don't get a barnyard vibe, either. It makes me thing of Strider. Slightly spicy, sexy in a way, woodsy, but not as woodsy/earthy as Druid or Half Elf. This is more about the soft leather. I get the similarity to Little Wooden Doll, not as woodsy but has the same warmth, if that makes sense. There's actually something in here that makes me think of stone, like the grey stones in Gondor. 

I already have many Middle Earth blends from other sellers, but after that I STILL might pick this one up. It's that good. It reminds me most of Deep Midnight Perfumes Grey Pilgrim. 

2/11 Yep, bottled.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

I got an imp of this in 2017.

It smells almost exactly like a bird call I had many years ago that used rosin powder. Somewhat powdery without smelling like baby powder. Soft, but with a strong throw. I don't get much in the way of leather from it, but I love this scent.

Dirty leather and rosin, the hemp is there but not present much. Can get powdery, but it doesn't overshadow the rest of the notes. It's warm and slightly sweet, but not sweet enough that it goes into gourmand territory.

Rogue is my favorite RPG class and this scent matches it really well. Don't think I'll be getting a bottle unless I start to play DND again because I don't wear these type of scents.

A sniff from the lab bottle comes off has green and woodsy and herb-y. On my skin, that pine rosin begins to emerge, and as it dries down the leather comes out to play. As it continues to dry, the soapiness that I thought I was imagining gets stronger and I totally understand what others have said regarding powderiness. There is just the smallest hint of sweetness that pulls it all together. I purchased this as a gift for my significant other and unfortunately the gender on the bottle is incorrect, and I think that has to do with why they don't care for it all that much... It is a simple scent to be sure, but clean and wearable in a conservative work environment. I'm not a big fan of leather but I can see how this scent would be great with layering.

Edited by skyturtles

On me this is mostly sweet and powdery, reminiscent of beeswax like others have noted. The hemp and leather give it an earthy edge that I really enjoy. Straightforward but addicting!

A lab imp! Not my usual, but no notes of death, so, let's try!

And...I get soft warm leather, start to finish. There's definitely (how?) something that smells worn about it, something comfortable - broken in, basking in sun, cozy. Sort of lazily confident: not needing to try too hard, knowing their own competence.

It's not necessarily something I'd wear myself, but if I smelled this on someone else, it'd be very very nice.

some leather notes i just can't do.  i've found that suede-y type leathers are ok, and sometimes quite nice.  this is the other kind.  sharp and cologney, somehow simultaneously aquatic and powdery.  yikes.  dry, it calms down a great deal, and takes on an almost buttery quality. not wholly unpleasant, but not really my thing.

this is the first in the rpg line i've tried, and i can see how this is designed for layering.  it's incomplete, begging for something more.  but definitely evocative of the inspiration. 

This is a warm, gentle leather blend. The leather feels worn in and comfortable and it pairs nicely with the syrupy, resinous rosin (pine sap) note. I would say the rosin is actually stronger than the leather. It’s medicinal and licoricey, not really piney. Not all leather scents work for me but this one does, and it will also smell nice on my husband.

BPAL does all my favorite leather scents, and this one is just delicious. It's warm, broken-in, not a squeaky leather (though I do love those, too.) I love to layer it with a more femme scent to give it an edge.