Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin.

Ok , this is leather . But it's a very sweet leather . Not sure if the sweetness is from the resin note or what , but it's almost flowery . After wearing it for awhile the sweetness backs off some . It is a very nice scent , if not my favorite of the RPG line .

My first RPG scent!

In imp: sort of sharp and smooth at the same time. A bit piney.

Wet on skin: lots of piney, sharp and a bit spicy. Not getting any leather.

Drydown: something smoother is coming through...ah, there's the leather.

Dry: Mostly rosin, I think with the leather in the background. Very nice.

1 hour later: It's gotten a bit sweeter. I don't know if it's my skin or if the Lyonesse I had on yesterday hasn't quite worn off yet, but it's almost like vanilla. Regardless, it's lovely.

ROGUE

In Vitro Sweet rosin, with leather at the end of the inhale.

Wet A bit stronger. The leather was very subtle and I thought I detected hemp. The sharpness of the rosin kept this from being too sweet.

Drying Resiny sweetness. If I inhaled very deeply I got a bit of leather, but I also got some acrid bitterness at the back of my throat. Was this the chemical scent that some reviewers complained of in leather scents? Fortunately that didn't last, but neither did the leather. When completely dry this was sweet and just sharp enough to be interesting, but it wasn't what I hoped for.

Darn, now I'm bumping two candidates down on my sample list because they're leather plus one note. On the bright side, Rogue lasted a long time on me with a very slight application, so I think I can use it for layering (duh!) especially since few of the traditional base notes seem to work for me.

In imp: Leather, old smoke perhaps, and a fragrant wood -- I assume this is the rosin.

On skin: A very soft leather scent underpins the other two notes. I like the rosin, though it makes me think of a ranger. I hadn't paid much attention to how hemp smells before, but after sticking my nose in a coil of hemp cord I recently bought, I can say it's as I expected: dry, grassy-sweet, and sneezy. This is actually the strongest note on me, but I like it.

Conclusion: Pretty much smells like a rogue. I have a feeling this would be nice when combined with Whip, to make a kind of Dominatrix Rogue, or Rogue Fleeing Through The Rose Garden In the Rain. ;) This is one my favorites, both thematically and olfactorily.

Ooohhhh, Rogue. I've always loved a rogue. In the bottle all I'm getting is the hemp tempered a bit by the rosin, but I'm sure that the leather will come out.

Wet on my skin: this is just beautiful, wonderfully balanced notes of hemp and leather and pine. I just wish I could smell this always...alas...

Dry on my skin: it's gone powdery enough to lose at least two-thirds of all the "wow" from before. Sad! I'll likely try this on the man before abandoning all hope of it being wonderful. But for now, it's not something that I'd wear regularly, unless it stayed like it was wet all the time. Oh well..win some, lose some I guess.

In the imp: Musk isn't listed as one of the notes in this, but that's actually what it smells like most to my nose.

On skin, wet: There's the rosin. This is now mainly piney, though it's not giving me an instead headache so that's a good sign.

On skin, dry: Now the leather makes its appearance, blends with that musk I smelled in the imp, and the rosin fades into the background.

After an hour: It doesn't change much from the initial drydown. It's a nice blend, but pretty seriously masculine on me and thus, alas, not something I'd wear.

Edited by lohengrin

Sigh. Once again, leather betrays me and runs away laughing when I try to make it stick.

So, this is pleasant. It smells like sweet pine, a little spicy, a little woodsy. I think I like The Red Rider for spicy, woodsy smells, but this is fine. It's sweet and bright and very much like pine and pine sap. Which is nice, sure.

Unfortunately, pretty much immediately it goes all men's cologne on me. I mean, it really does smell just like cologne. Just...men's cologne, and handsome men riding on polo ponies for advertisements. And that's about it. It smells too modern and commercial on me to really make me think of rogues and the wilderness--which is really a bummer. I'm guessing that's the rosin in it making it smell like pine and commercial colognes, although maybe there's something else lurking in there (someone suspected musk and it wouldn't surprise me). It smells really, really masculine. Like, really really. Make no mistake: boy. It makes me think of, like, passing a friend's brother's room on the way to her room and catching a whiff of his deodorant or cologne or something. It really does, weirdly, make me think of visiting a certain friend's house--maybe they used something pine-scented as a cleaner or potpourri. But I'm rambling...

Leather eludes me yet again (again!), but if I ever wanted a pine-centered (is that a legitimate phrase?) masculine cologne, this would be the thing. Pleasant, but just...not turning into anything that really works for me.

Holy sweet mother of DnD *sobs for joy*

I got this for my Fiance, and it smells like pure sex on him. That is all.

Like the most incredible thing I have ever smelled. I need to get him 10 more bottles it is that good.

Leather mixes with the other oils making this deep dark woodsy incense smell. Sexy sexy rogue indeed. :joy: :wub2:

In the bottle: Sharp, a little chemically. Uh-oh, I really, really want to like this as (as my fellow DnD players like to point out) I have a thief/rogue obession.

Wet: Ooh! Leather! Lots of sweet, sun-warmed leather. I am taken straight back to the best days of my childhood, spent in saddleries and stables. I'm in love here and the unease of that first smell of the bottle is a forgotten memory.

Drydown: The scent fades just a little, or I become acustomed to it, but it makes a reappearence regularly, particularly when I'm warm or a strong gust of wind goes past. I've become addicted to this scent and it's my every day scent now. It doesn't have much of a throw, but it lasts all day and catches me when I least expect it - rather like a Rogue picking my pocket, I guess!

Unobtrusive. Slightly sweet, inoffensive leather (coming from a person who until this point was unable to find a leather blend that didn't turn my stomach). I wasn't terribly impressed at first, but this could grow on me.

I can't believe I haven't left a review for this yet.

In the bottle: Leather, straight-up but not the buttery leather of Red Rider or the saddle-shop of Captain Cully. This is something else. More like a well-loved leatherbound book.

On Me: Wet, slightly sweaty, salty leather. At dry down, the rosin comes in a little more and it develops an incense-and-smoke smell to go with the leather. As the oil ages, the rosin becomes more prominent.

On Spouse: Wet to dry down, all sweet leather - like sugar-dipped leather.

OMG, I can't believe I didn't like this at first. What a difference a more experienced nose and some aging make! thud.gif

Rogue starts off a little sneezy and grassy from what I assume is the hemp, but quickly smooths out into a warm, sweet leather that makes me want to go OM NOM NOM to my arm. The leather isn't chemically or harsh AT ALL but is all warmth and comfort, and the sweetness (I'm assuming from the rosin) just warms to the skin in this absolutely amazing way that never goes teeth-achingly sweet.

This has quickly turned into my favorite BPAL leather blend and I'll need VATS of this for wearing on its own and adding to blends. wub2.gif

Oh yes. YES.

I ALWAYS play a rogue (or the closest variation to it) in table top games, video games...I adore them in films and novels, and I write about one frequently. I has to have this for that reason.

I get lots of sweetened leather, and ROSIN! That note makes me so nostalgic...it reminds me of playing my violin as a child. Just wonderful. The rosin mixes with that sweet leather to create a stealthy skin scent that I find really subtle and sexy. So perfect for a rogue!

I really wanted to like Rogue, but the first time I tried it (months ago), I found it so off-putting that the imp almost went straight into the swap box.

I can't remember what I smelled in it back then, but I'm glad I retested it, because it's very good now. The rosin and hemp is reading as a beautiful foresty-green herbal-wood-leafy scent to me. Light green leaves over leather.

It's very much like a paler, less sinister version of Luperci, which is my all-time favourite green/forest scent. It also resembles Theodosius minus the Earl Grey and Dorian elements, and the fir/cedar from Doc Constantine.

The topnotes are lovely and addictive. The drydown, while still pleasant, is a flat, dustier version of the same. I wish it had a stronger basenote to keep things interesting throughout its lifespan, but perhaps that's why the RPG scents are meant to be layered.

Overall, I think I'll reach for Luperci or Theodosius when I want this type of scent, so I'll pass on my imp to a gamer friend who always plays rogues. If you like leathers, though, Rogue is a good GC to add to your collection.

If you like this, try: Luperci, Theodosius the Legerdemain, Doc Constantine, Brom Bones, Dee, Antony

This is nice. Worn leather, bit of pine, and a scent I associate with ropes (I assume the hemp). Almost exactly like a saddle smell. It's very warm and almost comforting.

Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin.

I find this blend to be fresh and clean a yet sweet and "incensey" too. On my skin, this blend turns into a wonderful clean, warm male scent.

I honestly had a vision when I put Rogue on.

I envisioned my man, fresh and warm from his shower. Towel wrapped around his waist, he sits on the bed as I come in and sit next to him. His lightly spiced soap and warm skin invades my senses. I can't help myself, I lean in and inhale deeply his wonderful intoxicating aroma. :wub2:

Yes, cheesy as that description is, that what this scent is on my skin. I honestly didn't get the descriptive notes everyone else did in this blend - but I love it so much, I don't care :lol:

ITB: It smells like very supple and worn leather rubbed in a dab of pitch and a sweet green note, which I think must be the hemp.

Wet: The hemp is a bit stronger and maybe a little too sweetly green for me as it overpowers the leather and rosin.

Dry: The hemp has dried down significantly to reveal a really pretty leather scent. I don't get the rosin as much, but the gorgeousness of the leather note more than makes up for it!

I have no idea what rosin smells like, but I've been wanting to try this for soooooo long for the leather note (I don't really know if 'll be a fan of hemp or not)

In the bottle:Interesting - the scent I get from the bottle is almost sweet and minty, and a bit grassy.

Wet on skin: About the same, though now it smells more like pine trees. Which, now that I've looked up rosin, makes sense. I might have hesitated more, had I known that, because I feel like woody scents don't play so nicely on my skin.

Dried down: I get the leather, but the piney scent is still overpowering it. The hemp mixes in nicely with the pine.

Throw: I'm not getting much throw here. I have to sniff my wrists to really get anything.

Verdict: *** 1/* This wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but it's not bad. It's almost a 4 for me. But I think I prefer Fetish.Goth for my leather scent. But I'd like one in the GC. I might try layering it with something else (Good, maybe?). Though I haven't tried that one on its own yet.

My first BPAL scent. :) Actually, a gift for my brother-in-law, but I had to get a sniff in.

Fresh from the bottle: Don't beat me, but the way the scents blend almost have a... chocolatey? smell to me. Not at all bad, just a little something underneath that sailed through. After the initial sniff, it settles more into a very strong leather smell. Hm. I'll bite.

Freshly on: Yes, sweet leather, the resin just a floating afterthought so far. It reminds me of my old archery competitions, very familiar and comforting, but more pronounced than I'd normally shoot for.

Dry down: My body chemistry is cruel to me. Everything I put on jumps to a powdery, floral scent. Same luck here, but with the stab of the resin. I'm going to go sit and pout about it, but them's the breaks.

Let's stick it on the husband, with good body chemistry!

Freshly on: Now the resin seems a bit more pronounced, but maybe I'm just still stuck on what happened to me.

Dry down: My man smells of the leather very strongly. I like it--a lot!

In both, hemp blends seamlessly with the resin. I dig it. Will give this to brother in law, and MUST buy some for the hubby. Try this scent if you dig the smell of an archery range and adventuring in the shadows.

First Sniff: Smoke, incense and soft leather, yay!

Initial Wet Application: Smoky incense tamed with something warm and mysterious.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): I can see how others are getting sweetness with the leather, it’s certainly better than any of the other ‘leather’ scents I’ve tried so far! This is wispy and obscure and, despite being light on my skin, pleasant and interesting. There’s something in this which is keeping it slightly dark and hard to put a finger on, which is perfect for its namesake.

My Reaction: I think the rosin is what’s keeping this evocative of a dark night and prowling around trying to avoid the city’s watch while looking for the perfect open window to climb into to rob. It’s a bit faint, but different than other light scents from the lab. I’m also getting some throw which is pleasant and intriguing. While I’m not a fan of the rogue class personally (I lean more towards barbarian), I can respect them and am glad this was a frimp in my last purchase anyway. I may hang onto this one just because I play D&D. ;)

Rating: 2.5

The leather is the dominant note in here, but I am also getting some hemp.

The leather note really evokes a well-worn suit of leather armor, it has that worn quality about it that I quite like. The blend is a lot softer than I would have guessed initially, and I'm sure it blends magnificently with the other RPG's, though I haven't tried that yet.

As far as I know I haven't smelled pine rosin before, so at first I worried Rogue would turn into an obnoxious Xmas tree + leather. Thankfully those concerns were unfounded. I can smell the pine, but it's lighter and softer than a typical evergreen note. On first application the hemp is very green and grassy, verging on floral/fruity. It then chills out and gets drier. BPAL's leather is of course lovely and this one smells natural but somehow more modern than other combinations. More biker jacket than bodice.

Overall it's a warm, sweet and woodsy leather. As a few others have said, it comes across as "cleaner" than what I was expecting/wanting from Rogue. Especially comparing this to two of the other leathers in the RPG line, it's not as impressive. Fighter, for example, is a really badass and strong leather with a metallic tang. Ranger is a gorgeous brown buckskin leather with a more realistic forest backdrop than I'm getting here. Plus, all the Riders in the GC (especially White) do a good job of pairing leather with something unique to make them stand out.

I can definitely see this layering well with another oil, preferably something that would dirty it up and make it less flouncy, but I'm too lazy to experiment when I have so many good alternatives.

I was frimped this by the Lab and can't believe I never would have tried this otherwise. It's just the most huffable leather ever. I don't get much -- if any -- pine. The hemp seems familiar from Banshee Beat. But this leather, it comes off as sweet, warm and vanillic. *huff huff huff* I don't even know what else to say. Just... YES.

Edited by obsidienne

Sweet hemp and rosin, with a tiny bit of leather. Thankfully no cinnamon that sometimes accompanies the BPAL leather notes. A sweet, slightly herbal (but not green) scent with OK staying power, but not enough to make it last all day.

Comparing this to my leather heavy scents (Paladin V3 and Eldritich Dark), I get very very little leather. That being said, it's still an amazing scent and pairs really well with Chaotic and Dwarf.

If you're a leather lover (hehe), I wouldn't consider this strong enough for you. But if you're a leather newb, it's a good introduction to the wonderful world that is the BPAL leather scents.

my first review! this one jumped out at me from the RPG section - i almost always play a rogue or thief, and i loved how it sounded, so i bought a 5ml bottle from a forumite here.

in the bottle: wow, pine! the first thing i notice is a sharp, sweet pine rosin. the freshness of the hemp is there if i squint. it's got this heady, almost incense-y smell to it, which might be the leather eking out from under the strong pine.

on (wet): the scent smoothes out, and the pine softens a little. that's a big thing i get from this smell, actually, it's sort of - smooth and sultry. the hemp sticks around, keeping it fresh and quite clean with the bitterness of the rosin.

on (dry): the "edge" on the rosin fades, and /there's/ the leather. again, i start to get this kind of incense smell sticking around. the leather body is full, and bought up by the subtle hemp and the sweetness of the rosin.

i found it faded after a few hours and didn't have a huge throw, but i didn't put very much on. either way, it's a very nice scent, if not as dark as i expected. excited to try layering it with some of the other RPG scents (half-elf and lawful are two i'd like to try, so we'll see how that goes!)