Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Immaculate white musk, sweet frankincense, bourbon vanilla, white leather, and shining armor.

Wet, strong leather and a bit of musk. Dry, there's a switch, and it's mostly musk with a touch of leather. This scent seems rather bland to me, but I guess that's why they're for layering. Not for me by itself, but I'm looking forward to trying it with other RPG's.

This is delicious! Definitely a keeper. The white musk and bourbon vanilla balance each other perfectly. It's soft with out being overly feminine. I honestly can't stop smelling my arm. The only reason I got this bottle was to add to my RPG collection. I should know by now not to think I don't like something before I test it. I was just nervous about the leather But I really don't smell any. I also don't smell anything like shining armour but I'm not really sure what that would smell like. My knight hasn't showed up yet ;)

I'm giving this one a 9/10 it's just that good :)

Paladin is not as strong as I would have expected. It was so light in the imp and wet on my skin. I smelled the same bourbon vanilla from Gypsy, but it was lightened by a white musk. I don't get anything metallic but I do get a bit of white leather. It's a very clean (without being aquatic) scent. I definitely want a bottle of this to blend with Good and other semi-sweet scents.

White leather on wet, but mellowed by the white musk and the vanilla as it dries. The frankincense and white leather combine together, and overall its a very grounded scent.

Can't wait to try it with Evil, Lawful, Chaotic and a Halfing bit combination. Not all together, of course.

Wet to dry, this is all leather, all the time. I can't even detect any frankincense, which usually amps on me. I'm hoping the leather tones down as it ages, because Paladin is the RPG I most wanted to work on me. :cry2:

Not skin tested as this is a gift for someone, sweet metallic incense. I actually really like the scent of this one and might have to get one for myself to fully skin test in the future.

First review here.

I'm not very good at picking out the different aspects of any of the oils I've tried thus far but I had to comment that I LOVE this scent from in the imp, to wet on my skin, to dry. My bf also really likes this scent on me. This is the first to move to the "need to order a bottle" list :)

Paladin isn't for me, BUT it is an absolutely beautiful scent! The musk and incense combination is perfectly balanced and it smells comfy and warm. It is not too powerful but you can definitely smell it in the air around you without any effort. There is nothing about this scent that I don't like, but it just doesn't seem to match my personality.

I will need to test Paladin and Hunter side by side because when I applied by Paladin imp this morning I was immediately reminded of that blend. They have the same white leather note to be sure, but Paladin has more musk whereas Hunter has soft sage. Paladin doesn't wear long, but is has a nice soft throw while it lasts. Right now I'm thinking I may buy a bottle, since I love Hunter and a subtle variation on the same theme might be nice. This is just lovely, soft and comforting.

I could have sworn there was cedar or some kind of blonde wood like in Aziraphale! Must be the frankincense but this is so very Aziraphale except with hints of leather and a light sweetness. It's a godawful pun, but it really is divine! :blush:

Paladin

Frimp Test

Of the RPG scents, this one was the one that seemed like the best match for my skin.

After wearing it for a little while, I have to say that it just turned to a leather-esque version of potpourri.

Sadly, I'm not diggin it :(

This was a very surprising scent to me. My notes from the first time I sniffed the imp say: "WHOA MUSK! Straight to the NO box!" (I avoid musks - at least I have till now)

For some unknown reason I grabbed it tonight. Maybe it settled or my nose changed, but now (about a month later) I don't get that overwhelming musk from the imp.

So I slathered it on. Wet it was frankincense and a smidge of leather and an almost aquatic fresh scent (the shining armor?)

As it dried, my skin gobbled it up. It has almost zero throw on me. When I sniff my wrists I get a slight hint of musk now (and I don't hate it - shocking! Maybe white musk is ok on me (need to experiment with other musks)). I can pick out the sweet frankincense and almost a cedary scent. I guess it's the bourbon vanilla. That part of the scent reminds me a bit of Tombstone without the smoke. If I were blindly guessing notes, I'd guess that they both had cedar, vanilla and sassafras. I get no leather or armor at all when dry.

This is sadly very very light despite slathering a lot on. It's got a freshness to it that I like. I give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. I like it and will enjoy the imp, but will save my bottle purchases for stuff my skin doesn't eat.

In the frimp: pale incense and just a hint of…hmm, I can’t tell what that is. White wood? Wax? Something powdery and golden. I’m not sure what to make of this.

Wet: Aha – it’s leather! It’s white, soft suede, in fact. I get the musk and some kind of sweetness that almost reads as tobacco, but this scent is very well blended and it’s difficult to pick out individual notes.

Drydown: This is LOVELY, especially as the bourbon vanilla comes out. But it never really comes into its own. I wish it were stronger (I never thought I’d say that about a paladin!). I feel like it needs to be layered with something.

*Cue massive binge on all the RPG scents to see which one can carry Paladin to the Big Bottle list* :twisted:

In the imp: Leather and incense.

Wet on my skin, the leather is strong. I haven't had as much success with this "white leather" note compared to "black leather".... it smells harsher on me. It's not bad in combination with the incense, though. There is a metallic tinge here as well (the armor).

This is reminding me a lot of The Robotic Scarab, which also has metal, leather, and frankincense. But I like TRS better. I haven't been too impressed with the RPG scents on their own, but I know they are made for layering. I'm not getting white musk or vanilla, which I was hoping would soften this scent up somewhat. But I might try layering it with Good and see how that works out.

:::PALADIN:::

Now is a good time for some laying on of hands… Particularly if Paladin is where the meet them. Unsniffed, it could reasonably be said that anyone who’s up for doing some good smiting would probably want to smell like the paladin of the BPALian interpretation. Before too many assumptions are made, however, the time is nigh for the uncapping. This pocket protector is moist!

From the Imp: Paladin is RIDICULOUSLY good! The effect is like a cross between waking up one morning to find a blazing halo overhead and that awkward moment when you’re about to kiss someone incredibly sexy and your teeth clack on the mirror. Paladin could be dissected and deconstructed, surely, but it wouldn’t matter. There are parts of Paladin that can be identified, but most of this is very much like a religious experience. Anybody would want to smell like this; a knight, a warrior, a poet, a geek, a saint, sinner, seductress, sorcerer or sage.

Be warned, it is very difficult for sniffing cessation with this Imp. The Metallic note that represents the Shining Armour is one of the best run across. The White Musk radiates with ethereal power and exudes a particular kind of confidence and optimism that makes a person feel like they’re striding about with a crackly kind of aura. This formula is radically clever! At this point, a person might feel mildly afraid that their body chemistry is going to interfere with this and impede the magic… Persevere anyway!

On the Skin: The worst part of this was smearing a dab on the underside of the forearm and then trying not to lick it off! The Armour really amps as it warms up with the help of the skin. Frankincense and Leather both blossom spectacularly, making an extraordinary bouquet.

On Her, Paladin is lupine. It is clean linen and it is somewhere between lullaby and lunacy.

On Him, Paladin is Aurora Glorialis. It is the first true understanding of eternity. It is a whisper in your ear that holds the roar of all oceans.

Paladin is beauty and bliss.

A 5 out of 5.

Sniffed: Pale leather with a metallic sheen.

On skin: Ah, the scent now opens up on my skin and becomes something beautiful. Leather is still the dominant note, but I can smell sweet vanilla and musk mingling and softening it. Metal adds a cold sheen to the other notes but is thankfully very subdued. Paladin is mainly a showcase of white leather embellished with the other notes. I must say, this white leather accord is quite gorgeous: it has the characteristic polished, inorganic quality that I've associated with BPAL's leather notes, but this is less coldly synthetic than black leather, and smoother and less gritty than brown leather. Paladin is dry, airy, austere yet gently sweet -- gallant and romantic, and I can imagine a paladin (of either sex) wearing this easily. (Sadly, it's faint and fades quite quickly.) Colour impression is radiant, pure white.

Verdict: A lovely, worthy member of the RPG series: elegantly simple and beautiful. Paladin is my second favourite RPG class (after cleric), but if paladins smell this good, I might just play them more often! It's my favourite blend out of the RPGs. :luv2:

Edited by Vega

On the skin: Huh, I can barely smell this one. I get a hint of white musk and some lovely vanilla. This is a very pale and ethereal scent. I feel like this is the perfect workplace scent. Pretty, slightly sweet, and no waft whatsoever.

I am starting to get a hint of the leather now. :wub2: This is fantastic! Now all I need is some single note vanilla to layer with this to bring out a bit more of the yummy sweetness!

Ok , first of all I get not leather at all , which makes me a sad puppy . Or maybe I do and it's not in the manner I expected . Now that I'm really putting my brain to it I guess I am smelling leather . Funny , before I started looking for it all I got was sweet smells . A lot like spiced honey . I assumed that was the other notes covering up the leather . I can't tell you how bizarre this is to me . I swear I never noticed the leather before just now putting it on today for this review . Maybe the little bit of aging it's had has helped .

So , the important stuff . Do I like it ? Now that one of my favorite BPAL notes has come out to play , hell yeah I like it ! It's much more ( fighter in armor-ish ) like I wanted it to be when I ordered it with that wonderful note coming out . Before , without that note , it was just too sweet / cute for my liking . But now I smell the hard edge to this warrior it has been missing . I'd give it a 4 out of 5 rating . Not a contender for my favorites , but a solid second tier bottle that is good to have for a change .

I can barely smell Paladin.:huh?:

I tested a small amount on my arm, and after about 10 minutes of not smelling much of anything, I reapplied with more oil. There is hardly any scent, even with my nose right up against my arm. I guess the notes are in my olfactory blind spot.

What I can smell is a very faint frankincense with a bit of soft white musk. I don't usually like white musk, but this is not the harsh, laundry detergent type. It smells like freshly cleaned skin without harsh soapiness. I wish I could smell this more, because it is quite beautiful, something I could see myself wearing frequently. :(

I had high hopes for this scent. The scent profile sounded beautiful, and in the bottle it's quite pretty and complex.

Wet on the skin it's light and metaly, slightly vanilla, light leather and musk, but it's so watery. With this scent mixture you would think it would be a heavy scent...

Yet as soon as it starts to dry it disappears within seconds. :( Sigh. I'll just have to look for another BPAl alternative with leather and yumminess that doesn't smell like a guy's scent. :cry2:

Oh, this is great.

In the imp, it's all metallic notes and pine. Smells like the sort of thing that goes to cleaning fluid and air freshener, and I'm assuming this will never work.

Fortunately, when applied to skin, those fade down immediately and the musk/leather/frankincense (in that order) take over. Pine & metal stay well-behaved, just adding an interesting accent in the background. (I know pine isn't listed; I don't know where I'm getting it but I swear there's some subtle evergreen in here. It's soft, like the pine in The Illustrated Woman.)

I've tried hundreds of BPAL oils so I'm fairly picky and it needs to stay smelling good well into the drydown to be a keeper. This does! I think it's bottle worthy, especially since paladins are one of my favorite RPG classes. Now to pray that Cleric works on me this well.

If you like this, try: The Illustrated Woman, Theodosius, Golden Priapus, Dorian, Lurid

Sweet and grassy (in the sense of a meadow filled with flowers, not a front lawn sort of grassy). As it dries, I can pick out the frankincense. No leather or metallics to speak of (on my skin, this is a good thing). Wet, it reminds me of Szepasszony. I get juicy-stemmed spring florals. The more it dries, the more the frank comes out to play, and the less I like it. Overall, better than I expected, but probably not for me.

Throughout the leather is the main event on me, but I always amp leather. It definitely feels like a softer leather than most of the other leather note scents I've tried (I guess that's why it's white leather?). There is a faint cloud of white musk surrounding it all too. And the frankincense comes out during the dry phase. It's very interesting and I'm glad I got a frimp of it! Alas leather is one of my least favorite notes. I think though for leather lovers this could be a really interesting twist...more of a daytime leather.

Thoughts before testing: This was a frimp in my most recent Lab order, and I was excited to try it despite the armor note. Leather is a forever win note and I love vanilla, so let's see what happens!

Wet: Sweet soft leather and frankincense. This is ridiculously good.

Dry down: Sweet leather and vanilla. The frankincense starts to take a backseat, but this is pure amazingness on my skin.

Dry: Sweet vanilla, soft leather. LOVE.

Final thoughts: This smells to me like a much less sweet CC: Female. I am head over heels in love with this. The leather note is perfect, the vanilla is perfect, the frankincense is perfect. LOVE.

Verdict: Keeping the imp, getting a bottle!

In the bottle, it’s clean, sharp and green.

Wet on skin, it’s still clean and green. Maybe it's my imagination but at that stage, I get a tart green apple note, similar to what I remember from Sleeping Beauty.

Once dry, it's all vanilla and the scent of church incenses. I personally love incense notes but, often, they tend to be very strong and have lot of throw. Paladin doesn't have this problem; it's a discreet incense note. One that won't make your D&D partners loose their concentration!

Overall, it's a lovely vanilla, incense and clean scent. It has just enough throw for me. I love it!