Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Halfling

Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs.

In The Bottle: Flaky, buttery pastry. :yum:

Wet On Skin: Wow. Okay, right now? This is almost a dead ringer for Crumpet Rebellion. Like if CR had a little fruity jam tossed in there? THAT'S this scent. I wonder if it'll last?

Dry Down: Yeah, this is very nearly identical to Crumpet Rebellion- buttery, rich yummy pastries. Which is GREAT, because I will not even say what princely sum I paid for my bottle ;)

In All: Light to medium throw and yummy, yummy, yummy. Seriously, if you're one of the hoards that has lusted after CR, here ya go. and for those of us that are lucky enough to have some of that precious gold dust, Halfling will allow us to save Crumpet Rebellion for the *really* special occasions ;)

In the bottle: Currants and pastry.

Wet: The same.

Dry: The currants become more prominent, and I get the same grubby smell that I get with Dana O'Shee. No porridge, which is a real shame, as porridge is obviously the king of breakfast foods.

In the imp: Almond pastries! Oatmeal with a bit of cinnamon. :yum:

On my skin: Baked goods ahoy! More almondy pastry. It's possible that what I'm interpreting as almond is actually the kukui nut, which I haven't smelled before. As it dries, it smells less almondy and more generally nutty. It's surprisingly light for a foody blend, but like Good, I know it can be layered. I think this could be worn alone though, especially in the fall, for a lighter foody scent instead of some of the blends that are really rich and cakey. Don't know if it's bottle-worthy, but I will use my imp.

Edited by sunlitgarden

I love this. It's warm and wonderful and unexpected. Porridge porridge porridge. I am not getting the buttery raisiny that others describe, but I'd like that too, if I were to get a bottle and it turned out to be more that direction. I think I need this.

Wet, this is spiced baked goods and oatmeal. As it dries, I start picking up the TP's shortbread cookie note from a few years back. I'm quite pleased with this one.

If you like Halfling, try The Chicken-Legged Hut.

ETA: I ended up getting a bottle of Halfling. I made my husband smell it in the bottle without telling him what it was. His reaction was pretty funny. "What am I smelling? Is that Cream Soda? Wait, is it cookies? Or rootbeer? Wait wait wait, let me smell it again! Seriously, what is that? That smells good!" (He always does think with his stomach).

Edited by Rocza

Wet: Yum! "Warm" and foody. Smells like a slightly sweet cookie fresh out of the oven.

Dry: Plastic. .... Wtf?! :(

Really, really disappointed. This was so promising!

1/5

This is very much like a lighter version of Eat Me. Berry oatmeal with cinnamon, apples, milk and honey. I'm sure there's no actual cinnamon here, because my wrist isn't turning red, but something is giving a cinnamon-spice-like impression. Others have mentioned Christmas candles, and I have to agree; not necessarily a bad thing, though, if you like Christmas spices and apple cider and similar scents.

Straight-up foodie scents almost never grab me, and Halfling is no exception. But for those of you who love to smell like a cookie, you'll want to try this.

If you like this, try: Eat Me, Huesos de Santo, any Beaver Moon, Fearful Pleasure, Lambs-Wool, Gunpowder

Yum! Initially it's all kukui nuts, then it becomes tasty nutty porridge, and finally settles into super delicious nutty oatmeal cookies, with spices and apple present in the latter two stages. Certainly a winner, and totally worth buying an imp of! :D Not sure if it's worth a bottle, though, since this smells very similar to some other blends I own.

In the Imp (ITI): It smells like baked sweet bread, maple syrup, freshly threshed wheat, raisins, and nut meal.

Wet: It's very much the same as in the imp, but with the addition of smooshed banana.

Dry: It's like brown sugar and cream of wheat with a few more spices and some bear claw pastries on the side.

I was incredibly excited about this one. I love idea of character sheet perfume oils. The idea of building a character out of smells is actual genius. And Halfling: who doesn't love Hobbits, for one? Of course it's got to be a foody scent, for a Hobbit. I love foody scents so much. Oatmeal cookies, cream of wheat, porridge...nothing in the reviews could go wrong with me. Win-win-win!

But when I got it and put it on, it went immediately to plastic. I hadn't had that experience before, though I'd read about it often enough in reviews. I was deeply disappointed. If anything's going to not work with my skin chemistry, I'd rather it be something I'm not likely to wear, like patchouli or rose. Not oatmeal! For the love of god, NOT OATMEAL!

HOWEVER, I've come to understand that that plastic smell isn't the oil, it's me. The day after I tried Halfling for the first time and had my heart broken by it, I put on my old stand-by, Bread-and-butter-fly, to reassure myself that foodiness was still possible in my life, and it also went plastic on me. EUREKA That's when I realized: it's all down to timing. My skin is just not cooperating just then. Estrogen nose-dive.

So a waited a few days and tried Halfling again. Sure enough, perfect, smooth, creamy, sweet oatmeal. Tiniest hint of something like cinnamon, a little bit nutty, and a tiny dash of dried fruit (I think this comes out a bit more as the oil ages, I didn't get that at first). It could be the smell of a corner of Bilbo's pantry. The (first) breakfast corner. Sitting next to nice big yellow slab of butter on a plate.

I love the idea of building a character with these scents, but I'm so fond of this one I don't want to add anything else to it. It's perfect as it is.I want to just sit in front of this bowl of porridge and listen to Bilbo's story about some trolls that wanted to cook him for their supper.

In the bottle: a very sweet cake scent, almost like Eat Me.

Wet on skin: This blend warms up a bit with a trace of spice, which doesn't seem to be listed in the notes, but which comes out on my skin.

Dry: Wow, this is a very sweet scent, more so than I was prepared for. I like sweets, but this is almost a little too "sweet foody", even for me.

Halfling is a very sweet, almost syrupy scent which translates to warm slightly spiced oatmeal raisin cookies. Although nice, it's not something I'l be reaching for very often.

Wet: Soft, crumbly cookies. Like a cross between peanut butter cookies and snickerdoodles.

Drydown: Buttery (but not too buttery), nutty, salty, sweet (but not too sweet), and by some magic also soft and well-behaved. It segues from cookie goodness to a cross between fresh waffle cone goodness and gourmet pound cake drizzled with an orange liqueur-tinged syrup. Decadent and delicious, but also light and happy.

Dry: I’m a bit confounded because this is the first true-foodie scent that is absolutely wearable on me! Dry, it smells a bit like pound cake mixed with orange fruit loops, and that somehow smells fantastic on my skin. Clearly some sorcery was involved in the making of this one! Magical and yummy.

In two words: cookie musk

8 out of 10 bones

At first Halfling smells like fresh cut fruit (nectarine, apricot, plum).

A bit later, that fruit now has a piece of cinnamon raisin toast next to it.

There is something in the background I can't figure out - though I can see how people think of oatmeal or porridge with this.

It reminds me of Eat Me and Bread-and-Butterfly.

Edited by icecreamcone

Dreamy bakery smell.

In the imp: Vanilla and strawberry wafer cookies, nuts

Wet: Dry, delicious, not over-sweet - fruit and cereal becomes almost gentle wood with sweet nutty/oaty overtone

Drydown: Subtle, not much throw, but incredibly pleasant - faint hint of fruit

This is a terrifically well-constructed scent. I might wish for a little more throw, but otherwise it's great.

I had my reservations about this one but decided to try it out with the rest of the RPG scents for the sake of completeness. Wet or dry, it pretty much smells like shortbread cookies to me. Not a scent I see myself wearing.

This really is a cookie scent! It's also much lighter than many other BPAL baked goods scents I have tried (and not liked). It has a slightly nutty edge, too. I can definitely see why halflings would smell like that, haha!

It's probably not enough for a big bottle for me, but I will hold onto my imp and experiment with RPG layering with it now! Maybe a Halfling Rogue could be good, hm....?

Wet, this was oatmeal cookies for me, which was very pleasant, but dry, it became fruity, and it took me a while before I could place what it made me think of -- apples! It's very much like applesauce, apple turnovers, apple oatmeal, and frankly I'm DELIGHTED. My only wish is that it would have more throw on me, since I have to put my nose right on my wrist to get anything from it.

In the imp: Porridge with a bit of spice and a bit of nuttiness.

Wet: The cinnamon is quite prominent on my skin, but fortunately, it doesn't burn. I momentarily got the oatmeal cookies that others mentioned in their reviews, but it seems to be predominantly cinnamon on my skin. Now there is a hint of something like raisins? I am not fond of raisins. I think I am getting more of kukui nuts now...cinnamon, raisins, and nuts.

Dry: Raisins with cinnamon and nuts. RAISINS OF DOOM. I guess it is like oatmeal raisin cookies with a generous amount of cinnamon.

Verdict: I may have liked this if it weren't for the arrival of the raisins (and the prominence of the cinnamon). This one is definitely not for me.

Halfling reminded me of something but i could not place it at first. That is until i made my grandmas recipe for zucchini bread. This smells exactly like Zucchini Bread. I can see why everyone picks up on the fact it smells like breakfast. On me i get a nutty,cinnamon,vanilla scent.

It reminds me of apple crumble, especially the buttery pastry crust with oat flakes covering the apples. Very yummy and gourmand

Edited by theredkilt

178: HALFLING
GC: RPG
"Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs."

Received from lab 6 November 2013

In bottle: Sweet, yummy pastry and cookies - reminds me of the oat in The Harvesters. Buttery and rich, this is the type of scent I love and want to be able to wear (I want to smell like cookies, dangit!), but that tends to go horribly wrong on me, turning into plastic-playdoh-crayons-stale-cooking-oil once it hits my skin. I really hope this doesn't!

Wet: This is staying foody on me. It's a little less buttery-rich than in the imp and is still reminding me of the oat from The Harvesters. This is all carb - crisp, nutty cookies, creamy porridge, buttery pastry, and crumbly yellow cake with no fruit or spice in sight. Rich but light.

Dry down: A sort of dried fruit sweetness is coming out now. This is still light for a rich, foody blend, if that makes sense, and the fruit is sweetening things up. It's fading pretty quickly, but it's still a nice, cozy, tasty scent.

Dry: This has faded into a warm, cozy sweetness. All the overt foodiness is gone.

This is nice - a tasty gourmand blend that doesn't turn rancid on my skin. It fades fast (as most blends do for me), but not into anything unpleasant. I'd like to try layering this with some of the other RPG scents. While I'd like a bottle of this eventually, it won't be a top priority since it does fade so quickly.

4/5

Magic. Yes, I think it smells just like Cap'n Crunch Berries cereal, and it's absolutely Wonderful! Pastry ~ baked goods ~ temptation, with a berry fruit compote.

The fact that this gloriously foodie, delicious BPAL is a General Catalogue fragrance makes me soooooo very happy!

Delicious. Yum.

In the imp: Pastry, something bitter, spicy & nutty (I'm guessing this is the Kukui nut?) & a little porridge in the background. The bitter/spicy/nut note is a bit intense, but there's something about it that I really like!

Wet on skin: Same, except that the bitter/spicy note is amping more than the rest, to the point where I feel like I *houldn't like this... but I do! I really, really do!

Dry on skin: Mostly the spicy-bitter nuts (still a bit too spicy/bitter - if I sniff it very closely, my eyes feel like they're about to start watering). The pastry has most definitely turned to crumbs now & the porridge is still in the background holding it all together. The spicy/bitter/nut smell is still making me think I shouldn't be enjoying this, but I absolutely am!

I'm surprised at how many of the previous reviews label it as "sweet", because I actually wish it was a bit sweeter - maybe if I had one of the honey single-notes to layer it with?

After a few hours: The bitterness has calmed down a lot as the perfume has faded, but it definitely still has an edge to it!

Layered with "O": I decided to try layering it with O, since that's quite mild on me & dries to mostly vanilla to see if that fixes the "too bitter/spicy" issue &... it does! It calms the bitter-spice note waaaay down, so you only get a hint of it. It's still nice on its own, but in a weird way - layered with O though? I love it! No confusion, no "I shouldn't like this", just lovely! Warm, comforting & foodie - like I imagine a Halfling's (or Hobbit's!) house to smell! My husband's not a huge fan of it though, haha! Oh well!

Layered with "Good": I figured I should try layering this with at least one RPG scent & of the ones I own, Good seemed like the best starting point because of how sweet-yet-subtle it is. Unlike O, this doesn't completely neutralise the bitter-spice note, but the musky sweetness it adds definitely makes it more manageable! I'm surprised at how very different it smells layered! This is a very cool combo!

Verdict: Strange, but I like it! This (both plain & layered) is a very appropriate scent for a Halfling character! It layers extremely well (which is the point of the RPG series, so the lab has definitely nailed that quality here!) - I like it plain, but I love it layered! I really need to try layering it with some of the other RPG scents soon!

Wet: Nutty oatmeal cookies. Not too sweet and warm.

Dry: Turns to play doh and disappears in less than half an hour.

Had promise in the wet stage but, like many of the RPGs, the final result just doesn't work.